PDA

View Full Version : Final Cut Studio 3 on Power PC for GH1 transcoding

Ben_B
10-15-2009, 01:27 AM
I am currently working on a work around to install FCS 3 on a G5 at my work. I should probably have it done by friday (I'm not in tomorrow) and should probably test it with transcoding some GH1 footage. So far I have the main app installed and running but no codecs and stuff yet so I haven't been able to test anything...but of course installing those is easy, I just called it a night. I think there are instructions on how to hack your install to run on PPC out there somewhere but there's also a lot of garbage and hearsay and rumor...would anyone use this? Should I put together a tutorial?

And yes that is a quad G5 2.5ghz with only 1gb of RAM.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/8895/fc7ong5.jpg

missmay
10-15-2009, 08:07 AM
I'd sure be interested, and I have a G5 too. But I'm not clear. Is this a hack for folks who don't have an Intel Mac, &/or Snow lepard?

Thanks for working on this!

Ben_B
10-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Yes, this would be to install it on a power pc. However to get some of the steps to work I did use an install that was already on an intel mac.

That said it's probably possible without, I just did it to save me some time (I transfered the application framework files from there) but I am installing the rest from the .pkgs probably....if it works, which it should.

The trick is to install from the individual packages and not the installer, and you have to go in and delete the install checks which tell you that this is not a supported method.

I tried just deleting most of the minsys.plist file in the requirements checker of the installer (or just changing block to warn) which is how you install it on an intel mac with lower system specs, but that did not work for the G5.

DanDOF
10-15-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm interested, but will I be able to run it usefully on PPC G5 Dual 1.8GHz 3GB RAM?

I really only ever use Motion, Cinema Tools, and Compressor.

missmay
10-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Yes, this would be to install it on a power pc. However to get some of the steps to work I did use an install that was already on an intel mac.

That said it's probably possible without, I just did it to save me some time (I transfered the application framework files from there) but I am installing the rest from the .pkgs probably....if it works, which it should.

The trick is to install from the individual packages and not the installer, and you have to go in and delete the install checks which tell you that this is not a supported method.

I tried just deleting most of the minsys.plist file in the requirements checker of the installer (or just changing block to warn) which is how you install it on an intel mac with lower system specs, but that did not work for the G5.

Well, it sounds like you really know what you're doing Ben! I'm a bit hesitant to try that at this point because I can't afford to screw up my apps. However I'm going to stay tuned... I wonder if there's a way to do the whole test from a non Intel machine? (Any braver folk than I out there?)

thanks for checking this out; please keep us posted.

cheers,
missmay

Ben_B
10-15-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm interested, but will I be able to run it usefully on PPC G5 Dual 1.8GHz 3GB RAM?

I really only ever use Motion, Cinema Tools, and Compressor.

Somehow I doubt it, but you never know. I think that is our most spec'd out G5...we have two others and the rest are mac pros...will let you know when it running and how the performance is.

DChang
10-15-2009, 10:54 AM
What exactly is the point in getting FCS3 to run on a PPC when you can't even Log and Transfer AVCHD footage on FCS2 on a PPC?

Ben_B
10-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Well, I'll see if I can get FCS 3 working and then I'll see if AVCHD works...might as well go all out with it.

Even if AVCHD doesn't work, that is not the reason I am doing it, and I am sure people here with PPC would be interested in running the latest software...this is also just kind of to see if it can be done.

kaplanfx
10-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Even if AVCHD doesn't work, that is not the reason I am doing it, and I am sure people here with PPC would be interested in running the latest software...this is also just kind of to see if it can be done.

It all depends on if Apple is still compiling universal binaries, or if they are compiling the FCS3 binaries for x86 only. The endianness and the architechture between the two are significantly different, so you can just run compiled binaries from one system and expect them to work on the other.

-kap

Ben_B
10-15-2009, 02:50 PM
It all depends on if Apple is still compiling universal binaries, or if they are compiling the FCS3 binaries for x86 only. The endianness and the architechture between the two are significantly different, so you can just run compiled binaries from one system and expect them to work on the other.

-kap

Well it is running, so it's possible the program is still a UB...the other thought someone had is that somehow rosetta is effecting it but that would be backwards...hmm...all I know is that it works :)

kaplanfx
10-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Well it is running, so it's possible the program is still a UB...the other thought someone had is that somehow rosetta is effecting it but that would be backwards...hmm...all I know is that it works :)

No that's correct and I hadn't though of it. Rosetta is designed to run PPC code on a intel proc. Though according to this page: http://www.apple.com/rosetta/ pro apps are NOT supported by Rosetta, it looks like they are mostly still UB.

-ka

Ben_B
10-15-2009, 09:06 PM
No that's correct and I hadn't though of it. Rosetta is designed to run PPC code on a intel proc. Though according to this page: http://www.apple.com/rosetta/ pro apps are NOT supported by Rosetta, it looks like they are mostly still UB.

-ka

Sure enough :D

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7302/picture4ub.png

"Requires Intel Processor" my foot.

mo sizzle
10-18-2009, 02:07 PM
i would be interested in a tutorial

Ben_B
10-19-2009, 09:21 AM
It does not work with GH1 footage (or any AVCHD) as I suspected...but it works. For some reason on the system I am using it on (tried on quad 2.5ghz G5 with 1, then 2, gigs of RAM) the options for high and medium quality playback are greyed out...stuck at low quality. That said, everything seems to be working fine...it handled multicamera editing of XDCAM footage from an EX-1...albeit at low quality playback.

I've gotten it working by installing individually from the .pkg files but this only works for about half the stuff you need for the full studio.

The best bet seems to be to install it on an intel machine (borrow a laptop!) and just copy the apps, the frameworks, and the application support files over. If on app startup you get a crash just look at the log and see what files you're still missing, it'll even give you a path :)

This method seems to work the best for licensing too...for some reason on my .pkg installed version the license kept resetting everytime I closed the app or restarted the computer (I forget which) and I had to keep reentering the serial number. This didn't happen with the copy over method.

I had a theory that the greyed out quality controls were because it was profiled for different hardware and then transferred over but no dice, didn't work with .pkg install version either...and the thing profiled for RT extreme on the G5...would be curious to know if this happens to other people. Maybe final cut is simply saying the hardware won't cut it (maybe it's confused cause they did not bug fix things like this or teach to to recognize PowerPC hardware.) Would be curious to see what happens to other people on this issue (which is probably significant enough to get us to stick with FCS 2 on the PowerPC machines) with differing hardware, etc.

Does anyone know of a work around to get this stuff un-greyed out? To tell Final Cut that I don't care what my hardware is, let me try it? It's stuck on low or dynamic (low) whether I change RT settings or try to set it in the menu.

Also whenever you introduce new footage on safe RT you have to render it...which sucks, but the computer is still kind of a beast and handles playback fine on most footage on the low quality (probably why) on unlimited RT. (orange)

Match
11-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Any update on getting a tutorial together? I am looking to do this on a number of computers.

Thanks!

Ben_B
11-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Basically what I've found to be the easiest way is to borrow an intel machine, install it on there, and then copy over all the apps, app support files, frameworks, etc....this route seems to be the most effective. While I've had some luck installing straight from package files I could never seem to get the whole studio working that way. There is also a program called Pacifist that I've heard people are having luck with.

Match
11-11-2009, 08:34 AM
I have successfully installed FCP on my Intel. It is running fine.

Now, I am looking to copy the files over to my PPC. I tried to move just the application and it did not work. What files, specifically, do I need to copy over to the PPC, how to I access them, etc.?

Thanks.

Ben_B
11-11-2009, 06:57 PM
All the Application Support Files, Frameworks, and Codecs....

When it crashes on you open up Console (Applications/Utilities/Console.app) (or if it gives you an error log that works too) and see what files are missing...I believe it will probably be the frameworks, and copy those over, rinse wash and repeat till it runs...and then copy anything else related you find...I usually do the full codecs folder, etc..look through the Users/You/Library, HDD/System/Library and HDD/Library folder for App support, etc,

Match
01-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks, Ben. I am making a lot of progress after your latest reply. Unfortunately, I have hit a wall.

dyld: Symbol not found: _IMAVManagerStateChangedNotification
Referenced from: /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/InstantMessage.framework/Versions/A/InstantMessage

I can't find this file within the Frameworks on my Intel, so haven't been able to transfer it over. Any thoughts?