PDA

View Full Version : need GH1 selling advice

paulgandersman
10-14-2009, 06:23 PM
ok, so I'm considering selling my GH1 package and buying a 7D. why? well I have been using my camera for about 80% photography and about 20% filmmaking. And the 7D seems like such a better camera for photography. i haven't fully made up my mind yet though, still considering.

my GH1 is in incredible condition, i'd call it MINT. i have everything that came with it, original box, manual, etc. I've even had a screen protector on the LCD since the moment I took it out of the box.

so what I have that I would potentially sell is:

Panasonic GH1 with 14-140 lens
2x Panasonic Batteries
Canon FD adapter
50mm Canon FD lens
28mm Canon FD lens
16gb class 6 SD card
8gb class 6 SD card
Vivitar rotateable flash (nice flash)
and all original boxes manuals, etc.

Now I need to figure out what would be a fair price to sell this package for. What do you guys think? Camera with lens and tax was like 1650, extra battery was like 60-70, canon FD adapter was 100. 50mm lens was 40, 28mm lens was 40. 16gb card was 40, 8gb card was 50 (yeah actually paid MORE for this one, needed it in a rush and got from local camera store), vivitar flash was 170. so all together we're looking at about 2100-2200$ worth of stuff new. so what would be a fair used sale price? (keeping in mind its all mint and barely used) $1800? would anyone be interested you think? and is that fair? i wouldn't be in the business of ripping somebody off, would just want to sell at a fair price for both me and the buyer.

and finally, what is the 7D buying situation like these days? Is it like the initial GH1 purchasing scenario where we all waited for months playing roulette as to wether or not our cameras would ever come? or is it a pretty well defined process right now?

i know this is a whole lot of questions but I just really need some advice. thanks guys!

kaplanfx
10-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Would you be willing to part with the Canon FD gear separately? What's the max aperture on the 50mm lens? I've been thinking of going the FD route and actually getting both the lenses you mention. I'm assuming the 28mm is the f2.8 (I'm not aware of another).

-kap

D90GH1_eric
10-14-2009, 09:40 PM
The camera kit is now widely available for $1,500 new so you have to sell it for less to attract customers. You should just go to eBay and find out how much people need to pay if they were buying all the other stuffs and adjust your price accordingly.

Rory_B
10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
The 7d seems fairly easy to get right now. At least in my neck of the woods. Are you looking for just the body or kit?

paulgandersman
10-15-2009, 12:17 AM
kaplanfx: i'd only be selling the FD stuff if I was selling off everything I'm afraid.
D90GH1_eric: so what do you think would be a good price point for everything I've listed (total)?
filmbuff81: i'd be wanting the kit

paulgandersman
10-15-2009, 12:38 AM
i guess another option would be if somebody wanted to swap their 7D for my GH1(and gear) and i kick in some extra $$. but i doubt that's ever gonna happen haha.

commanderspike
10-15-2009, 05:42 AM
Panasonic GH1 with 14-140 lens
2x Panasonic Batteries
Canon FD adapter
50mm Canon FD lens
28mm Canon FD lens
16gb class 6 SD card
8gb class 6 SD card
Vivitar rotateable flash (nice flash)
and all original boxes manuals, etc.

Now I need to figure out what would be a fair price to sell this package for. What do you guys think

I have some experience selling GH1's on eBay.

GH1 could be worth as much as $1700 if it's in good condition. Availability in US is still poor right?
FD adapter $70
50mm FD $70
28mm FD - is it a F2.8? If so $50
SD cards - $35 for both
Vivitar flash - not sure about that one.

Park Edwards
10-15-2009, 09:42 AM
If guess if you froogle, which a lot of people do, you're gonna have to sell all that stuff at bottom dollar.

Gh1, no more than the list price. So you better knock off at least $100bux frpm the start.
FD adapter....I got a nikon one for $30.00. New. Free shipping. Same could be said about the FD.
28mm lens, depends. Condition really plays the biggest role. I'd say $30-50
50mm lens, how fast? 1.4, 1.8? 2.0? It can range from $50-125.00 depending on lens.
SD card. Got an ultra II for $28bux. Can buy them now for $30.00 free ship.
Flash is really hard to tell because it's, but what model is it? How new? Does it work with the gh1? Flash's can scare people because of the supposed voltage going through can fry the contacts. So I don't know if people will be interested in it as much. So i'd say anywhere between $50-75

SuperApe
10-15-2009, 09:53 AM
i guess another option would be if somebody wanted to swap their 7D for my GH1(and gear) and i kick in some extra $$. but i doubt that's ever gonna happen haha.

Actually I have had a brand-new unopened 7D kit sitting on the shelf staring at me for the last 6 days. For various reasons that I'll explain in a later post I'm not sure whether the GH1 might be a better fit for my particular needs. (And the funny thing is that I'm a stills photographer, lol)

In any case I've got a lot more research to do, but there is at least one swap+ potential around!