PDA

View Full Version : Exposure Stair Stepping

elko99
10-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Hello everyone. I'm a very satifisfied user and owner of a Panasonic GH1, but I have a perplexing issue I wonder if anyone has experienced and can help me with.

When I'm in the "Creative Movie Mode", to create a film-like look, I shoot shutter priority at 1/60 in 720/60p mode.

This works quite well after dropping it into a Vegas 24p timeline, however, I've noticed that the exposure adapts in a "stair stepping" sort of way if there is a camera movement or if there is a zoom that precipitates an aperature change to adapt to the lighting differential.

There is a gradual and virtually indistinguishable change in exposure value when running in "P" mode, either Creative Mode or dedicated P photo mode.

However when running in "P", there is no way to control the shutter speed to secure a more filmic look to the finished product.

Is this normal?

If you shoot shutter priority at 1/60, do you just have to minimize any possible exposure changes, or is there a work-around...such as shooting in "P", which is what I'm doing, sacrificing the 1/60 shutter?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your responses.

Kerplunk
10-13-2009, 01:39 AM
Use the Manual (M) setting in CMM to get complete control over exposure.