PDA

View Full Version : 1080P + Day for Night = Pixilation?

kennethhurd
10-12-2009, 04:28 AM
I'm using Final Cut 6.0.6 to edit the footage, Color to apply the color effects, and DVD Studio Pro to create the DVD. Since I purchased the HMC150, I've been shooting in 720/24P. I just shot a short film and tried out the 1080/24P on this camera for the first time. Most of the footage looks amazing, but the stuff I shot for Day for Night looks really bad.

I added the color effects in Color and then sent it back to Final Cut. The footage looks great when I do that, but once I burn the DVD, the Day for Night scenes have really bad pixilation during any movement.

To export for DVD, I exported using Compressor. Once in Compressor, I applied the Best Quality for 90 Minutes setting and created the DVD in DVD Studio Pro.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of the pixilation in the day for night scenes? Thanks.

kennethhurd
10-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Well, if anyone else has this problem, I figured it out. It had to do with the amount of saturation in the image and the intensity of the blue. By desaturating the image and dropping the blue level to about half, everything worked perfectly.

ArtByHumanDotCom
10-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Sweet, thanks for sharing! I'm sure it would have been a matter of time before I hit that issue. I just got an HMC couple of days ago.

ArtByHumanDotCom
10-13-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm curious to know some of the best export settings for the HMC150 if anyone is willing to share, in regards to FCP.

I have exported stellar videos for AVCHD Consumer Cameras. Now that I just acquired a HMC, the same export settings do not seem to come out as nicely? Some areas seem pixelated (*sp?) and the file sizes are about 2-3x larger. I thought I surpassed the noob stage?

kennethhurd
10-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Awesome. I bought mine over the summer and have been very pleased with it. What settings are you using to export? Since I'm going to DVD, I use Compressor and use the Best Quality for a 90 Minute DVD setting and I haven't noticed any bad pixelation, other than that day for night stuff.