PDA

View Full Version : ***extremely newbie question***

NorBro
10-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Hello,

I am planning on purchasing the HMC150. Can someone please tell me (in short or long) a little about these frame rates:

1080/60i, 1080/30p (over 60i), 1080/24p (native), 720/60p, 720/30p(over 60p)
720/24p (native)

When is it best to shoot in each one? What type of footage is usually shot with them? Advantages/Disadvantages?

I know this question is extremely broad and there are probably a million things you can answer about it, but anything that would help me understand them a little better would be greatly appreciated.

Even simple answers like:

Don't shoot moving objects in this frame rate, shoot this in that frame rate, etc.

Thank you very much!

Jason Ramsey
10-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Shoot in 24p if you want film-like motion (hollywood movies and a lot of tv shows, etc are shot at 24fps on film, or digital).

Shoot 30p if you want something less "reality show" like, a bit closer to 24p... but will work easily for broadcast. So, if you don't want the reality show, or news look so much, but are shooting for broadcast, it can be an option.

shoot 60i for that video, reality show, tv news, live sporting events, etc, look...

Generally, the slower the framerate, the slower you would pan due to motion blur, the less you can rely on auto-focus, etc, etc.

later,
Jason

NorBro
10-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks for your response!

What would be the primary difference between, for example, 1080/24p and 720/24p?

What would be the best frame rate for shooting sports?

MadHMC150
10-07-2009, 08:55 PM
720/60p... you get 60 frames of action per second. You can slow it down (overcrank) the footage to get very smooth slow mo.

When it comes to 24p, its a different beast. I would recommend barry's book - answers all these questions with professional charts. You can shoot anything in 24p you just need to know about how to handle (move) the camera, if any at all.

Oh yeah... when you get it, plug your camera into a big HDTV and switch between the frame rates - you will see the difference!

NorBro
10-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Hey,

I just ordered Barry's book. I'm definitely going to try them out. There's probably no better solution than one's own experimentation.

Thanks.