PDA

View Full Version : Has the 7D exceeded, matched or fallen short of one's expectations ?

jideobi
10-05-2009, 07:54 AM
I would like to know if the new owners of the 7d feel that the camera has exceeded, matched or fallen short of their expectations ?

PaPa
10-05-2009, 08:01 AM
I would say it matched my expectations. Had already read about it, saw demo footage and knew what to expect.

Richard J. Johnson
10-05-2009, 08:04 AM
2 more days I will be able to answer this question.

Coco Bermudez
10-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Matched...I really like it...and I have the d90, 5d MKII and the GH-1.
It is becoming my favorite cam as of now...only issue I have is that it is running a bit hot and it has shut down on me twice

Terry_Lasater
10-05-2009, 08:31 AM
I've been using a 30D for the last 2 1/2 years. Besides the addition of video, this camera has features that are light years ahead of the former.

I wish I could share in the examples of this camera, but I really need a computer/software upgrade before I can do much or tell much about the video capabilities on my own.

I plan to do some comparison tests with a photographer who owns a 5DMII sometime soon. Most likely, it will be in a studio with tungsten lighting. He has an edit station that should be able to handle the files. I won't be able to supply/host uncompressed files. However, I will get a DVD copy of the tests and plan to upload them.

iniosante
10-05-2009, 10:34 AM
It exceeded my expectations, but you really need to use it to appreciate it: the image quality, shallow dof, framerates, & lowlight from the 7D are, as we all now know, OUSTANDING. There is nothing that comes close in terms of price.

Do I wish there was a headphone jack for monitoring audio and the ability to disable AGC? Absolutely. The 7D is not perfect... but no camera is.

Ash
www.iniosante.com

trentp
10-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Way exceeded, I got the 7D to shoot action stuff (mainly skiing) and was expecting some bad aliasing and jello ect but I am very happy with it! Definitely helps to shoot from a tripod but the slow mo looks great!!!

Sold my HVX for it and never looking back!

Rakesh Jacob
10-05-2009, 10:43 AM
The features have soooooo freaking exceeded my expectations. I really thought Canon was gonna string us along on an upgrade path for another cam generation or 2. I wasnt expecting all the frame rates till next summer. Still I wish the image quality was a little more like the 5DmkII, not in terms of DoF (obviously), but just the way the 5D handles highlights.
Overall my expectations have been exceeded! Can't wait to shoot with it :)

morgan_moore
10-05-2009, 10:46 AM
There is no love yet

I was looking forward to something easier to focus, but its harder becuause the OOF areas are not so soft

the 25p seems challenging to pan

and this is the killer,

focus travel just got a heap worse and any shaky bits (caNik adapters) shake all the worse

Shooting with this seems a league harder than ever

S

Richard J. Johnson
10-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Sold my HVX for it and never looking back!

I just don't have the testicles to do that just yet. :violent5:

OPHERBA
10-05-2009, 12:41 PM
My favorite VDSLR so far.
Absolutely amazing for the money.

Tracey Lee
10-05-2009, 01:00 PM
This is the camera that finally made me sell my XHA1. It exceeded my expectations. There are some external controls that are nicer than the 5D and I did not expect the 60p at 720 to be as good as it is. I also think there is less jello because my hand held footage is better than when I used the 5D.

samrwamr
10-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm selling my DVX for it. That's right, DVX... I gotta get with the times!

Zim
10-05-2009, 01:34 PM
No not really and I'm not selling my DVX100b for it. I think it is a pretty nice camera but you still really need to have it on a tripod or some support. No flip out LCD will make it harder to work. No XLR etc,etc The video when done right is awesome. (so is the D90 & D300s). Seems to be some overheating and other issues too. Really I can't see why anyone would sell their DVXs or HVXs etc to only use this camera or the D300s for video only. Hang on to them just incase!

But at this point in the game I really need a upgrade on my Nikons for photography and I have a big investment in nikon glass. I just don't see it as a good choice to jump ship ....yet.

JoeC
10-05-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm selling my DVX for it. That's right, DVX... I gotta get with the times!

I sold mine for it. I was afraid that this camera would totally kill the used value of a DVX, so I sold a month ago. The difference in price between what I got out of the DVX and my new 7D was only $600 - I feel I got a 10x better upgrade in picture quality for only $600. (i already had some canon lenses)
-Joe

plasmasmp
10-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Image quality exceeds my expectations. It's everything the D90 should have been, and finally feels like the next DVX. Fantastic camera all around.

Rory_B
10-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Aside from no flip-out LCD it's quite nice. As for stabilizing it, a cheap monopod anchored in your belt provides ample support for some handheld work, provided you like the handheld look.

mhood
10-05-2009, 02:28 PM
a cheap monopod anchored in your belt provides ample support for some handheld work

I so like hearing you say that. I'm ordering a monopod shoulder brace and a small monopod tilt head in your honor.

Michael Olsen
10-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Shutter speed: fell short
LCD: met
Resolution: met
Color: met
Noise: exceeded
Frame rates: exceeded
Low light: exceeded

I'm excited about it! For what it costs, it is a very capable little camera.

Rory_B
10-05-2009, 02:56 PM
I so like hearing you say that. I'm ordering a monopod shoulder brace and a small monopod tilt head in your honor.

Will you inscribe my name on the side and then erect a statue of my likeness?

I'll even accept small donations towards my next no-budget feature :D

reem12
10-05-2009, 09:48 PM
sold my hvx for a canon 5d, didn't regret it. Sold one of my 5ds for the 7d and have not regretted it. If it wasn't for me shooting still photography I'd sale the other 5d for nother 7d. The image is just unreal, almost like it's to good to be true for this price point.

I'm wondering if any 35mm adapters are being sold now. For waht you spend on some of the higher end adapters you can buy 2 7d bodies.

Ian-T
10-06-2009, 08:50 AM
I'm wondering if any 35mm adapters are being sold now. For waht you spend on some of the higher end adapters you can buy 2 7d bodies.
I could never understand why they cost so much in the first place. I’ve seen some DIY adapters perform as good as or better than some “high-end” adapters. My thought is if they are still selling them for that hefty price then the manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves.

Kegan
10-06-2009, 10:16 AM
No, its just good business practice. I guarantee that there still is a group of people who ignore the DSLRs simply because its not what they're used to. This market will continue to buy 35mm adapters at the ridiculous prices and until that changes, why should they drop their price?

If you were making that much off them, you wouldn't just drop the price out of the goodness of your heart, now would you?

Kegan

Barry_Green
10-06-2009, 10:28 AM
No, its just good business practice. I guarantee that there still is a group of people who ignore the DSLRs simply because its not what they're used to.
And there's a whole lot of people who ignore the DSLRs because the DSLRs don't do what they want. Guys like... oh, heck, I dunno, Philip Bloom, who has said he'd use his EX1+Letus on a paying job before he'd use a 5D or 7D.

No one product has a monopoly on being "the best". DSLRs are still cameras that happen to have a video feature grafted onto them. They're not "video cameras". And for those who need a video camera, and want the shallow DOF look, then video camera+adapter may be the far more sensible solution than using a DSLR.

reem12
10-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Hey barry, would you agree that once the big players like canon, panny, and nikon decide to make these into dedicated video cams the 35mm adapter industry is history.

most purist fight in the begining, but I'm sure alot of them will soon bite and you will see a majority of these adapters in the market place.

These slr have made it to easy for those who do narratives to tell their story on the cheap. You can be a one man band in alot of situations now and retire these big grip trucks.

J Davis
10-07-2009, 02:01 AM
Fallen a little bit short but mostly what I expected.
My main disappointments lie in the lack of live histos and a good exposure level meter (its way off compared to GH1) and this may not matter to some but I found them useful when doing shot's on the flay when I'm around town. This was something I had not expected. The lack of articulated LCD is also a real bummer but that was expected. The 7D is bulkier and doesn't have the level of 'stealth' that I had become accustomed to with the GH1.

The winning thing about the 7D is the bit rate and no pulldown removal which is why I bought it.

Something to consider is the 'first video DSLR' phenomenon that happens with owners. For me it was the GH1 and for many it will be the 7D. Whatever the camera, when you first switch over from zero dof CCD camcoder's its like a veil has been lifted from your eyes.

jfro
10-07-2009, 05:15 AM
I have the GH1, 5D, and now the 7D.

It doesn't and shouldn't match the image quality of the 5D. I'll use the 7D as a B cam and when I want to shoot 60p for some slow mo mode.

I'd say the 7D matched my expectations and will keep it.

docrock
10-07-2009, 05:36 AM
"I just don't have the testicles to do that just yet. "
I agree with Richard on this...My 7d battery is on the charger as I type. Just picked it up this weekend. I'm not ready to get rid of my HVX or EX yet, that's for sure....but I am positively blown away by my 5d2 over the last 6 months. I had to try the 7 with it's expanded FR versatility. I'm excited the way DSLR tech is evolving.

For me....it's easily met and so far, exceeded my expectations. Very happy with this purchase!

J

iniosante
10-07-2009, 05:47 AM
Something to consider is the 'first video DSLR' phenomenon that happens with owners. For me it was the GH1 and for many it will be the 7D. Whatever the camera, when you first switch over from zero dof CCD camcoder's its like a veil has been lifted from your eyes.

Amen to that.

Ash
www.iniosante.com

commanderspike
10-07-2009, 07:11 AM
I have the GH1, 5D, and now the 7D.

It doesn't and shouldn't match the image quality of the 5D. I'll use the 7D as a B cam and when I want to shoot 60p for some slow mo mode.

I'd say the 7D matched my expectations and will keep it.

That's interesting. There are people around here who swear blind that the 7D matches the 5D for image quality, when it blatantly does not.

Nice camera though. 24p and EFS lens support are good features to have, even though the GH1 does 720p 60p a LOT better.

Isaac_Brody
10-07-2009, 07:14 AM
That's interesting. There are people around here who swear blind that the 7D matches the 5D for image quality, when it blatantly does not.

Nice camera though. 24p and EFS lens support are good features to have, even though the GH1 does 720p 60p a LOT better.

My friend, you are starting to cross the line into thread trolling. Please grab your GH1 and take a break from the comparison thread camera bashing and go shoot something.

commanderspike
10-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Isaac, like you I just don't want misinformation spreading on what is an excellent forum.

I am interested in the 7D, I am keeping an eye on it as a potential replacement for my GH1 if I don't keep the 5D.

Jason Ramsey
10-07-2009, 07:44 AM
let me say it one more time...

Please stop. it's getting overboard. Please read the sticky "Negativity Threshold" at the top of the gh1 and 7d sections...

Make your point and move on. It IS becoming trollish. You are comparing cameras and stating all kinds of things based on other peoples word and observations when you yourself have not used both and tested both.

Again, you have stated your case thoroughly. Now, please move on. When you have had a chance to test all these cameras side by side, I am sure that there are many people who would like to hear your observations. Until then, please consider this your friendly neighborhood final warning :) The sticky thread says it all... There is a bit of a crackdown in process.

Later,
Jason

Ian-T
10-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Soooo....how bout that weather...kinda hot for the fall huh?

To the OP...the camera actually surpassed my expectations. Short of being a Red I can't understand what anyone would fuss about with this camera. It's funny how quickly spoiled we've become. What I mean is a year ago no one would have thought that more of us could afford a cam with all of these features. As a matter of fact who would of thought we would see these features so soon...eventually yes...but so soon...heck no. Anyways..The GH-1, 7D, 5D, D90, Pentax and so on and so on are all giving us a heck of a lot better choices than we had over a year ago. No one should be complaining. Just make your case and move on to something that fits you. For me (in about a few weeks) it will be the 7D.

commanderspike
10-07-2009, 07:54 AM
I am comparing the 5D and GH1 based on actual ownership and shooting footage with both and will get to use the 7D myself tonight to see if it backs up what others are saying.

What's overboard isn't the negativity or comparisons, I don't think. What I find strange is if I praise the 7D on the GH1 forum people get upset, and if I praise the GH1 on the 7D forum, same. But 80% of the time I'm being positive about the GH1 on the GH1 forum or the 5D on the 5D forum.

Seems we are not allowed to say anything negative about the sacred 7D for fear of upsetting buyers? And for the record, yes it is a great camera with a lot of positive points.

Jason Ramsey
10-07-2009, 07:56 AM
please read my pm response to yours and consider this the end of the conversation in this thread.

Thanks for understanding.

Later,
Jason

Michael Olsen
10-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Soooo....how bout that weather...kinda hot for the fall huh?

To the OP...the camera actually surpassed my expectations. Short of being a Red I can't understand what anyone would fuss about with this camera. It's funny how quickly spoiled we've become. What I mean is a year ago no one would have thought that more of us could afford a cam with all of these features. As a matter of fact who would of thought we would see these features so soon...eventually yes...but so soon...heck no. Anyways..The GH-1, 7D, 5D, D90, Pentax and so on and so on are all giving us a heck of a lot better choices than we had over a year ago. No one should be complaining. Just make your case and move on to something that fits you. For me (in about a few weeks) it will be the 7D.

+1

I'm with you!

Barry_Green
10-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Hey barry, would you agree that once the big players like canon, panny, and nikon decide to make these into dedicated video cams the 35mm adapter industry is history.
Well, it depends on how good the video cameras are. If you're talking about a mildly adapted still camera, then no, I think the 35mm adapter industry will continue on because pros will always want and need the pro features of professional video cameras.

But if you're talking about an actual HPX300 or EX1 or HPX170 with a big chip in it, having all the other features that they already have, then yeah, I doubt anyone would want to put up with an adapter if they don't have to.

These slr have made it to easy for those who do narratives to tell their story on the cheap.
Not really. They've lowered the price of entry for a very limited type of camera. Functionally, they don't have half the features of a little consumer video camera. The only thing the SLRs have done is eliminate the need for a 35mm adapter.

You can be a one man band in alot of situations now and retire these big grip trucks.
Only if you want home video looking footage. If you want the look that the properly-used grip truck gives you, then a DSLR is going to need every bit of the same equipment employed. Maybe lower-power fixtures because of their sensitivity, but that's about it.

Barry_Green
10-07-2009, 08:34 AM
I am comparing the 5D and GH1
And you're doing it in a thread that has NOTHING to do with either the 5D or the GH1.

Stop it. Now.

marco0782
10-07-2009, 09:07 AM
To me, the image is more important than features. All I need is control of aperture, shutter and framerate. I like the image from the 7D far more than the image from an EX1/HPX with an adapter. It's crisper, with less chromatic aberration, better sharpness at the edges, and I can save a few stops of light. The way a ground glass renders bokeh is hit or miss. It never looks quite right.

Think of the 7D as using a film camera. All you get is a sensor and manual control of aperture, shutter and framerate. How many more features do you really need to make a great image? How many more features would you find on a film camera?

- I don't care about not having timecode.
- I don't care about zebras/waveform; I know how to expose an image, and I can buy an external monitor with exposure assist if I really want to.
- I don't care about long recording times; I'm used to 11 min. for a 400 ft. roll of 16mm.
- I don't care about the small size; I can bulk up the camera if I need to stabilize it.

What I feel would improve these cameras greatly is:

- Reduced rolling shutter artifacts
- More framerate options
- Viewing shutter as degree in addition to seconds

That's pretty much it. I know that ENG users want timecode, longer recording times, etc. But I believe that ENG users also want motorized zoom lenses, increased depth of field (i.e. smaller sensors), etc. And plenty of great cameras exist that serve that purpose.

I am thrilled that the 7D exists because it is so simple and straight to the point, and that's what I want as a cinematographer.

Marco

Ian-T
10-07-2009, 11:32 AM
marco...polo....I'm with you on all points!! :)

ydgmdlu
10-07-2009, 01:27 PM
To me, the image is more important than features. All I need is control of aperture, shutter and framerate. I like the image from the 7D far more than the image from an EX1/HPX with an adapter. It's crisper, with less chromatic aberration, better sharpness at the edges, and I can save a few stops of light. The way a ground glass renders bokeh is hit or miss. It never looks quite right.

Think of the 7D as using a film camera. All you get is a sensor and manual control of aperture, shutter and framerate. How many more features do you really need to make a great image? How many more features would you find on a film camera?

- I don't care about not having timecode.
- I don't care about zebras/waveform; I know how to expose an image, and I can buy an external monitor with exposure assist if I really want to.
- I don't care about long recording times; I'm used to 11 min. for a 400 ft. roll of 16mm.
- I don't care about the small size; I can bulk up the camera if I need to stabilize it.

What I feel would improve these cameras greatly is:

- Reduced rolling shutter artifacts
- More framerate options
- Viewing shutter as degree in addition to seconds

That's pretty much it. I know that ENG users want timecode, longer recording times, etc. But I believe that ENG users also want motorized zoom lenses, increased depth of field (i.e. smaller sensors), etc. And plenty of great cameras exist that serve that purpose.

I am thrilled that the 7D exists because it is so simple and straight to the point, and that's what I want as a cinematographer.

Marco
Brilliant, man! Agreed on all counts! :beer:

ydgmdlu
10-07-2009, 01:31 PM
But if you're talking about an actual HPX300 or EX1 or HPX170 with a big chip in it, having all the other features that they already have, then yeah, I doubt anyone would want to put up with an adapter if they don't have to.
The image that comes from the ground glass of an adapter has a distinctly different quality than that of a large-chip camera (such as a DSLR). There are those who swear by that particularly quality (even considering the usability trade-offs) and will keep the adapter market alive, however small it may eventually become.

mhood
10-07-2009, 01:40 PM
I bought a case of Sony DVM60PRLs last month...

J Davis
10-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Maybe when the camcorder form factor starts using ASP-c sized CMOS and interchangeable lens mounts then DSLR's will go back to being DSLR's.

We could be enjoying only a brief transitional period.

reem12
10-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Maarco I totaly agree with you and doubt if asked that anyone would choose time code, or all the extra eng perks on a dedicated video cam over a more visualy pleasing image for narrative work. So coose your poison. An astonishing image with the wow factor without the eng trimmings or a decent image with the trimmings but not the same wow factor. I love them both but for what I love most which is narratives. They can just give me the raw beauty of the 5d and 7d and 24 p and I would still use this over a Ex1, and hvx adapter combo for my purposes. But I would prefer the video cam for wedding shoots, due to its more robust capabilities.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm new to this thread and just looking into the 7D. I'm just shocked to read this...

It seriously doesn't have zebras? I know that's not a make it or break it deal but my cheap old HV20 has multiple zebra settings. What gives?

When out and about we don't always have time for external monitors. The zebra function is nice when all you have to look at is a tiny LCD display.

Like I said, not a deal breaker with me but I have to say that I'm really surprised by this omission.

MAH

Lucian
10-07-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm new to this thread and just looking into the 7D. I'm just shocked to read this...

It seriously doesn't have zebras? I know that's not a make it or break it deal but my cheap old HV20 has multiple zebra settings. What gives?

It's doesn't have zebras yet, but the hackers and crackers gonna fix that pretty soon I expect. They cracked the 5d and got manual control of the audio, zebras and histogram.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-07-2009, 09:27 PM
It's doesn't have zebras yet, but the hackers and crackers gonna fix that pretty soon I expect. They cracked the 5d and got manual control of the audio, zebras and histogram.Do you have to void the warranty to do that sort of thing or is it easily obtainable?

Sounds like a plan.

ydgmdlu
10-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Do you have to void the warranty to do that sort of thing or is it easily obtainable?

Sounds like a plan.
The Magic Lantern custom firmware currently makes no permanent modifications to the camera. In fact, it makes no modification at all; the firmware boots from the Compact Flash card. Remove the card, and the camera goes back to normal.

Barry_Green
10-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Like I said, not a deal breaker with me but I have to say that I'm really surprised by this omission.
It is a still camera. First and foremost, primarily, that is its reason for being. Oh, and it also shoots video too. Keep those priorities, those raisons d'etre in mind, and it will make a lot more sense. But it is not a video camera. No, it doesn't have zebras, and it doesn't even have a headphone jack to monitor audio with, and you can't disable the automatic audio gain, you can't execute a simple power zoom, you can't autofocus while shooting, and about a million other compromises and ignored features. Wait until you try plugging in a monitor, for example...

I don't know how these DSLRs got elevated in peoples' heads that they're somehow the be-all and end-all. They're lousy as camcorders but they happen to produce great, even astonishingly excellent shallow-DOF images. And they are cheap. Those are the bonuses. Other than that, they're pretty lousy as camcorders. The 7D can't even record longer than 12 minutes, it overheats too, and its 720p has horrific aliasing. It is not a well-rounded product.

But like the GH1, when they are in their "happy zone," the results are magical.

I say this as the happy owner of a GH1 and the proud owner of a 7D that's supposed to arrive today. But I don't look at these as a replacement for a proper video camera! They're a single-purpose special-purpose tool, not a well-rounded centerpiece of a production.

Barry_Green
10-07-2009, 09:45 PM
The Magic Lantern custom firmware currently makes no permanent modifications to the camera. In fact, it makes no modification at all; the firmware boots from the Compact Flash card. Remove the card, and the camera goes back to normal.
Very, very much looking forward to a 7D version of Magic Lantern.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-07-2009, 09:55 PM
It is a still camera. First and foremost, primarily, that is its reason for being. Oh, and it also shoots video too. Keep those priorities, those raisons d'etre in mind, and it will make a lot more sense. But it is not a video camera. No, it doesn't have zebras, and it doesn't even have a headphone jack to monitor audio with, and you can't disable the automatic audio gain, you can't execute a simple power zoom, you can't autofocus while shooting, and about a million other compromises and ignored features. Wait until you try plugging in a monitor, for example...

I don't know how these DSLRs got elevated in peoples' heads that they're somehow the be-all and end-all. They're lousy as camcorders but they happen to produce great shallow-DOF images. And they are cheap. Those are the bonuses. Other than that, they're pretty lousy as camcorders. The 7D can't even record longer than 12 minutes, it overheats too, and its 720p has horrific aliasing. It is not a well-rounded product.

But like the GH1, when it's in its happy zone, the results are magical.

I say this as the happy owner of a GH1 and the proud owner of a 7D that's supposed to arrive today. But I don't look at these as a replacement for a proper video camera! They're a single-purpose special-purpose tool, not a well-rounded centerpiece of a production.Like I said, not a deal breaker by any stretch. I was just surprised by a camera that shoots video (and costs almost twice what my HV20 cost me) and doesn't have zebras. Something I guess hackers can accomplish fairly easily. So why don't they add it in a firmware upgrade? Who knows, maybe they will.

I've seen some ads and everyone seem to be pushing the video aspect. That's why I was surprised.
No matter. The price is right and the results seem to be quite stunning.

Like I said, not expecting the holy grail. Just some standard video options. No biggie. :)

Mark Harris
10-07-2009, 10:07 PM
But I don't look at these as a replacement for a proper video camera! They're a single-purpose special-purpose tool, not a well-rounded centerpiece of a production.

Agreed. That's why I'm so thrilled with this little guy. I know exactly what I want out of it, and for that, it's almost the perfect little tool. I have no expectations of it doing broadcast work, or competing with a RED or whatever else. I will probably shoot shorts on it from now on, and use it in various scenarios on my features where it makes sense, etc.

Another bonus is that it's fast as all heck and small. These are real benefits to the indie narrative crowd(Which is where these cams excel, I think). Less lighting, less rigging, smaller dolly, smaller jib, smaller everything.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-07-2009, 10:10 PM
I have no expectations of it doing broadcast work, or competing with a RED or whatever else.Was someone comparing it to the RED!?? :eek:

Do you own one yet, Mark?
Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Mike

Mark Harris
10-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Was someone comparing it to the RED!?? :eek:

ha ha, for some real entertainment, take a stroll over to reduser. Some of those folks are acting like Canon beat up their grandmas.

Do you own one yet, Mark?
Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Mike

Yeah, got it on Monday. Glad I didn't order from wherever Barry did. :) Using my GF's lenses now, as she's an EOS girl.

Going to use it on something real soon.

Barry_Green
10-07-2009, 10:29 PM
I "ordered" from TigerDirect, but I got tired of waiting on their nonsense. Instead someone posted that a local camera shop in Michigan had one, so I ordered there and three days later it's showing up today.

Barry_Green
10-07-2009, 10:31 PM
So why don't they add it in a firmware upgrade? Who knows, maybe they will.
Because, by and large, camera manufacturers simply do not add features in firmware updates. Canon's said that they simply do not do that -- they save new features for new models (and yes, I'm well aware that Canon did add manual control to the 5DMkII in a firmware update, a move that the product manager for Canon said was shocking and he would have bet money that they'd never, ever, ever do that.) Panasonic doesn't add features via firmware updates either -- well, they added flash-band compensation to the HPX300, but that's about it. And Sony doesn't add features either. It just isn't "done".

But Tramm Hudson can add 'em... and that's what we're all hoping for.

Drew Ott
10-07-2009, 11:02 PM
No not really and I'm not selling my DVX100b for it. I think it is a pretty nice camera but you still really need to have it on a tripod or some support. No flip out LCD will make it harder to work. No XLR etc,etc The video when done right is awesome. (so is the D90 & D300s). Seems to be some overheating and other issues too. Really I can't see why anyone would sell their DVXs or HVXs etc to only use this camera or the D300s for video only. Hang on to them just incase!

But at this point in the game I really need a upgrade on my Nikons for photography and I have a big investment in nikon glass. I just don't see it as a good choice to jump ship ....yet.

Zim. Please dude. Please.

Zim
10-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Go back a few post and read what Barry Green had to say. I'm passing on the D300s and the 7D for video. I don't need anything that bad right now. I'll see what is next out or a price drop later.

Zim. Please dude. Please.

Stephen Mick
10-08-2009, 05:12 AM
With the 7D, my expectations have been exceeded, but no camera is perfect.

At 1080/24p, there's just no comparison between the GH1 (I previously owned) and the 7D. Period. The 7D is cleaner, handles color-correction better and plays much, much better with my NLE (FCP). And in reduced-light or low-light situations, forget about it…the 7D is absolutely better. If the 7D is "not a well-rounded product", I'm not sure what category the GH1 would go into.

I just did a job where we shot with two 7Ds and a Zoom H4n. The real test was conducting an interview in two languages, in a room the size of a cubicle, with five people, two 300w Arris, one 650w Arri and a running computer. This was in South Florida, with the temperature about 92 degrees outside, and with the A/C off for sound.

Did we get heat warnings? Yes, about 50 minutes into an hour-long interview. Was it a probem? Absolutely not. We just took a break for two or three minutes, fired up the cameras and rolled again. The temp in the room had to have been about 105 degrees (I've never seen a wookie sweat so much). So, to sum up, we did get the heat warning, but it was so hot I'm not sure we wouldn't have gotten it anyway with another camera. But we got what we needed. End of story.

Anyone worried about syncing picture and sound on a job like this…don't be. With both the Zoom and the 7D recording audio, a simple snap is all you need to sync the two later using the waveforms in your NLE. Syncing an hour's worth of footage from two 7Ds and the Zoom took all of about ten minutes. Easy peasy.

Depending on your needs, the 12-minute recording limit could be an issue. For wedding shooters, I'd say look elsewhere, unless you have multiple cameras covering the event. It's vital to let your needs determine the gear you use, not your wants. The 7D (and GH1 and 5DII) are tools. And they're not for everyone, in every situation.

Is aliasing a possibility on the 7D, in 720p mode? Sure. But I've both shot and seen plenty of alias-free 7D footage to know it's possible to shoot around it. The more time I spend with the camera, the better I get to know where aliasing comes from and how to eliminate it.

My first cameras was the DVX. Then the HVX200. Then the HPX170. Then an EX1. Followed by a GH1. Now a 7D. It's hard to believe that we've come that far in such a short amount of time.

So to say my expectations have been exceeded would be an understatement. But I'm still waiting for perfection.

USLatin
10-08-2009, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the post Stephen.

(Was that wookie wearing a tux perhaps? If so he should try Florida's official uniform, shorts and flip-flops)

Stephen Mick
10-08-2009, 05:33 AM
He was, but he said that's what he always wears on set.

And he's much hairier in person.

ydgmdlu
10-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Did we get heat warnings? Yes, about 50 minutes into an hour-long interview. Was it a probem? Absolutely not. We just took a break for two or three minutes, fired up the cameras and rolled again. The temp in the room had to have been about 105 degrees (I've never seen a wookie sweat so much). So, to sum up, we did get the heat warning, but it was so hot I'm not sure we wouldn't have gotten it anyway with another camera. But we got what we needed. End of story.
Thank you for bringing the overheating issue back to reality. It was becoming REALLY overblown around here.

Ian-T
10-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Like I said, not a deal breaker by any stretch. I was just surprised by a camera that shoots video (and costs almost twice what my HV20 cost me) and doesn't have zebras. Something I guess hackers can accomplish fairly easily. So why don't they add it in a firmware upgrade? Who knows, maybe they will.

I've seen some ads and everyone seem to be pushing the video aspect. That's why I was surprised.
No matter. The price is right and the results seem to be quite stunning.

Like I said, not expecting the holy grail. Just some standard video options. No biggie. :) Well, you do great work with a butt naked HV20 as is so I’d expect a 7D in your arsenal to be icing on the cake (especially when Tramm adds his hack to it).

dantewaters
10-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I've been using a 30D for the last 2 1/2 years. Besides the addition of video, this camera has features that are light years ahead of the former.

I wish I could share in the examples of this camera, but I really need a computer/software upgrade before I can do much or tell much about the video capabilities on my own.

I plan to do some comparison tests with a photographer who owns a 5DMII sometime soon. Most likely, it will be in a studio with tungsten lighting. He has an edit station that should be able to handle the files. I won't be able to supply/host uncompressed files. However, I will get a DVD copy of the tests and plan to upload them.

I have the 20D and I have shot with the 5D, I am now going to buy the 7D what light years stuff you talking about?

Terry_Lasater
10-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Heh heh... Well, keep in mind that my comment was comparing the still photo capabilities/features of a 30D to the new 7D.

I'm talking about things like a bigger, brighter, clearer LCD... waaaay more low light capability (ISO range)... newer, easier-to-read menu layout... weather-sealed body... more than double the resolution (megapixels)... self-cleaning sensor.

Coming from my 30D (which I'm keeping...) to a 7D, it DOES seem like light years - not to mention its video capabilities. :)

toxotis70
10-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Can you tell us , how you eliminate aliasing ?
I have canon 500d and in almost every shot i have this awful problem...
Its the only reason i cant use it.

ydgmdlu
10-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Can you tell us , how you eliminate aliasing ?
I have canon 500d and in almost every shot i have this awful problem...
Its the only reason i cant use it.
Try a soft focus filter. Caprock also makes a series of anti-aliasing filters.

toxotis70
10-08-2009, 03:21 PM
This one ?
http://www.caprockdev.com/antimoire.htm

Did you tried those oranyone else, because they are a little expensive to buy ...

dantewaters
10-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Heh heh... Well, keep in mind that my comment was comparing the still photo capabilities/features of a 30D to the new 7D.

I'm talking about things like a bigger, brighter, clearer LCD... waaaay more low light capability (ISO range)... newer, easier-to-read menu layout... weather-sealed body... more than double the resolution (megapixels)... self-cleaning sensor.

Coming from my 30D (which I'm keeping...) to a 7D, it DOES seem like light years - not to mention its video capabilities. :)

Yea I was referring to the image quality not video abilities.

I have shot with 20D and 5D Mark II

I see the clarity difference, but it's not light years ahead.

I see where you coming from but I don't get too excited knowing that I'm getting my 7D I am excited to have a new B camera in my arsenal that and the ability to print huge images.

USLatin
10-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Matched

I knew what to expect both good and bad. But having it is better than reading about it. I was a bit disappointed with resolution and noise though, probably from seeing so much 5D stuff that I was hoping for more regardless of the samples that we were seeing. But it works very well despite the heating problems.