PDA

View Full Version : GH1 workflow on a Mac

Ivan Lee
10-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Hey guys, I'm new here... Maybe my GH1 will arrive from BH this week (I'm think I will be the first in Brazil to own a GH1...)

Well, I've always been a DP but I'm kinda newbie in editing... but I had some FCP classes at college and we always use FCP to edit our films (in HD and 35mm)
I also have a FCP 6 Academic on my Mac Book, but never used much...

Now with the arrive of my GH1, I just don't know where to start... I SWEAR I searched all this forum for answers...but the discussions are on a very high level...

So, making simple... what do I need? Sony Vegas is too expensive to me right now... so I think I'll stick with Mac and FCP...

I see you talking about Neoscene, pulldown removal (I still don't know exactly what this means) AVCHD transcoding...etc etc, lol

I just want to to download the files to the computer and edit... but I think it's not that simple?

Help a newbie here...
thanks!!!

JB_frenchy
10-05-2009, 02:46 AM
Hello,
Connect the gh1 to you mac with usb, allow "connect with PC" on the gh1,
in FCP, go to file, log and transfer, select the clips you want to transcode (you have to transcode with FCP), select add to queue, wait for the transcode, and voila.
You just need to work with a external hard drive with lot of space, because the files from the gh1 will be transcoded into apple prores whic mean big files.
I don't know about the pulldown workflow since i use a PAL model.

Ivan Lee
10-05-2009, 10:27 AM
thanks! my GH1 is the NTSC version I think (I bought from BH)
And my Final Cut version is the 6.0.4

Martti Ekstrand
10-05-2009, 12:15 PM
You need 6.0.5 or later for AVCHD Log & Transfer.

Ivan Lee
10-05-2009, 02:07 PM
You need 6.0.5 or later for AVCHD Log & Transfer.

:embarasse
I think I can't update my FCP, and it's very expensive to buy... maybe I have to look for Vegas for my PC?

thanks!

DChang
10-05-2009, 02:28 PM
The update to 6.0.5 is free. Software update should notify you of available updates to your applications.

Ivan Lee
10-10-2009, 12:38 AM
The update to 6.0.5 is free. Software update should notify you of available updates to your applications.

Just updated to version 6.0.6 with success :laugh:

kaplanfx
10-10-2009, 01:19 PM
So log and transfer automatically de-interlaces 1080i 60 video it seems, but do I still need to do a 3:2 pulldown? 1080 60i interlaces is still a 30fps stream when the clips should be 24p. I'm new to this too, I saw some tutorials about using cinema tools or compressor to do the pulldown, but I tried to follow along and it appears I'm using a different version. I think I'm also on 6.0.6

-kap

Nitsuj
10-11-2009, 07:53 AM
I have been using FCP/Compressor just fine. You can follow these instructions posted by Isaac Brody's sticky in these forums here http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=170717

This works great for me -

Compressor Pulldown Removal:

24p FCP AVCHD workflow:

1. In FCP, Log and Transfer
(AVCHD-> ProRes 422)

2. In the Clip window in FCP:
Highlight all clips and go to Export-> Using Compressor

3. In Compressor:

Pick Format as Prores 422 HQ

Go to Video-> Frame rate-> Custom, Enter 23.976

Turn on frame controls-> Deinterlace settings-> Reverse Telecine

Set your output folder and click submit (this renders pretty fast and Compressor automatically finds the pulldown cadence and removes it)

4.Now import the new folder with new clips into FCP and you have 1080/24p

kaplanfx
10-11-2009, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the tips, another question about the above quote. Is the reverse Telecine step required? If i look at the properties of the 1080 footage I have run through Log & Transfer, it already has a framerate of 29.97 in the prores 422. I assume this means the de-interlace was already preformed, however the clips would still require a pulldown to actually get to the correct framerate?

Thanks,
-kap

Ivan Lee
10-31-2009, 03:49 PM
I have been using FCP/Compressor just fine. You can follow these instructions posted by Isaac Brody's sticky in these forums here http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=170717

This works great for me -

Compressor Pulldown Removal:

24p FCP AVCHD workflow:

1. In FCP, Log and Transfer
(AVCHD-> ProRes 422)

2. In the Clip window in FCP:
Highlight all clips and go to Export-> Using Compressor

3. In Compressor:

Pick Format as Prores 422 HQ

Go to Video-> Frame rate-> Custom, Enter 23.976

Set your output folder and click submit (this renders pretty fast and Compressor automatically finds the pulldown cadence and removes it)

4.Now import the new folder with new clips into FCP and you have 1080/24p

Thanks!

I did everything as described, put the new clips on the timeline and when I hit properties, it says "29.97fps"

What I am doing wrong?

Ivan Lee
11-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks!

I did everything as described, put the new clips on the timeline and when I hit properties, it says "29.97fps"

What I am doing wrong?

I tried using Neoscene instead of Compressor, and now the vids appear as 23.98fps on the timeline :)

Ben_B
11-02-2009, 09:34 AM
You probably just had the wrong framerate selected in compressor or had one of the settings checked incorrectly.

Ivan Lee
11-02-2009, 07:01 PM
You probably just had the wrong framerate selected in compressor or had one of the settings checked incorrectly.

I`m 100% sure I selected 23.97fps... checkout some print screens:

Step 1: Log and transfer

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3815/picture1fi.png

Step 2: Export to Compressor

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1529/picture2mko.png

Step 3: 23.97fps

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1404/picture3am.png

Step 4: Reverse telecine

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4097/picture4an.png

Step 5: Import the new file

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4083/picture5wi.png

Step 6: Where is the 24p? I hit "item properties" "format", and it says 29.97fps

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/521/picture6lv.png

:cry:

simonclivehughes
11-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Damn, this thread always stalls out when another good question is asked!

Cheers,

simonclivehughes
12-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Bump...

Any help on resolving this?

Cheers,

johnmann
12-18-2009, 04:42 AM
Do a get info on your clip from compressor. If it is labelled as 23.98 then compressor did its job correctly. Create a new sequence drag the clip to the newly created sequence...fcp will ask you if you want to make the timeline match the clip. Click accept and you should be set. I think your problem now is that you are draggin a 23.98 to a 29.97 timeline and FCP is converting it back. Just a guess

Ivan Lee
12-19-2009, 10:42 AM
I resolved the problem
The problem is that Compressor is a dumb program! from FCP I export the clip to Compressor, Compressor opens with the box on the left that you must drag in the settings, and on the right there is a preview of the clip... I drag in the setting and submit... nothing happens, why? because when you open compressor you must click on the left box "Source" and tell where the file is!!! lol problem solved...

kaplanfx
12-21-2009, 12:28 PM
I resolved the problem
The problem is that Compressor is a dumb program! from FCP I export the clip to Compressor, Compressor opens with the box on the left that you must drag in the settings, and on the right there is a preview of the clip... I drag in the setting and submit... nothing happens, why? because when you open compressor you must click on the left box "Source" and tell where the file is!!! lol problem solved...

Yeah the compressor interface is really weird. When you are adding saved "settings" bundles to clips you have to do them one at a time, you can't just globally change the settings and have it apply to all clips in the queue. I wonder if this is a throwback to some old system I'm not familiar with.

-kap

abolit
01-25-2010, 10:24 AM
There's no such an option (export using compressor) in FCP 7. Does anybody know how to do it in FCP 7????

tbuttaccio
02-02-2010, 11:15 AM
There's no such an option (export using compressor) in FCP 7. Does anybody know how to do it in FCP 7????

abolit,

Don't know if you figured out how to export from FCP7 yet but it changed from FCP6. It's very simple. Instead of using the "Export" command, use the "Send To" command.

Do the following from within FCP7:

File > Send To > Compressor