J. ANTHONY GONZALES Director
KATHY GONZALES Producer
J. ANTHONY GONZALES Story by
J. ANTHONY GONZALES, CHARLI GULLEY Screenplay

CAT ELROD Makeup Artist

cinealma
10-04-2009, 11:43 PM
PRODUCTION JOURNAL

Hired on a makeup effects artist. This will free up a LOT of my time, so I'm very happy about that.

We'll be shooting on Saturday, October 17. A LONG day of shooting, but should be a blast!

Still looking for an HVX shooter with a camera. I've got some feelers out. I'd LOVE it if I didn't have to shoot this one myself. We'll see.

Script revision is coming along nicely. Hope to have a good workable draft in the next day or two to start with.

Finished a good draft of the script. God, I hate the six minute time limit. Kudos to those who can write a great script in such a small number of pages.

We got the green light on the location. A big relief.

I'll be tweaking the script some more. The new ending doesn't seem to work out as well as the original. Decisions, decisions. Have some work to do, here.

I probably should start working on a poster, too. Looks like it's one of the requirements.

One week until the shoot. Getting jazzed up and raring to go!

Title of the film has been changed to MONSTERS BEWARE! The script has changed a bit from the original, so a new title was needed that better reflects the story.

Starting to work with our terrific makeup artist, Cat Elrod, on some design ideas. If you want to check out some of her really cool work, go to: www.1881zombies.com (http://www.1881zombies.com/). She did all the creature/gore stuff on that project.

More script work today. I think I finally figured out how to tie some things together that have bugging the crap out of me for a while.

Special shout out to Charli Gulley. She's been kind enough to give me some script feedback and let me bounce some ideas back and forth her way.

Still looking for somebody to shoot this thing. I can do it myself, but I'd rather focus strictly on directing and general production management. I don't have a lot of budget in the camera department, so hoping someone comes along who is into the "art of it" and wants to have a blast shooting a fun movie.

Charli Gulley is officially on board as co-screenwriter.

Herman Witkam is now on board for the score.

The script is 100% there story-wise. Just tightening up the dialogue a bit.

18 days until the deadline. This is going to be quite the adventure.

Crazy day so far. Shooting four days; adrenaline is flowing.

Script is just about locked. Going to be sending the draft out to everybody today. They've been chomping at the bit, so I look forward to their feedback.

Unfortunately, I've decided that Herman Witkam will not be doing the score after all. I 110% know he'd do a kick-ass job on this, and it's SO much in his wheelhouse. But the scheduling is just way too tight to allow him the time he needs to work on the project. And I don't want to kill him just to get it done. If I had shot this much earlier, it would be a no-brainer: Herman's the man!

I've been on the phone talking to DeWolfe in regards to music licensing. They have some stuff that is the style I'm looking for. If the licensing is cheap, I may just take it.

I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of DP's. Please, oh please, oh please, oh please....

STILL need a classic/vintage car for the shoot. Doesn't have to be cherry, just fit in the 50's/60's period. I'm stressing!

Spending the day working on and finishing up pre-pro paperwork. Breakdown of the script completed. Getting my shot lists together this evening.

Weather is going to be a little crazy, 95 degrees and sunny according to the weatherman.

Not much else, everything's rolling along.

Long day of running around, tying up loose ends, picking up odds and ends, etc. I'm exhausted (L.A. traffic really wears you out).

Our shooting day is tomorrow. I'm pretty jazzed! Look forward to a fantastic day of making movie magic!

Going to TRY and get to bed at a decent hour, but I know that ain't going to happen. Hopefully will get SOME sleep tonight.

Trying to recover from yesterday's 18 hour shoot. I swear to God I'll never do that again. (Yeah, right.) Well, my mind and heart may be willing, but this body's getting too old do stuff like that.

All in all, a good shoot. Need to do a couple of pick ups.

We ran a little behind schedule and so I wound up missing a shot I think I need. That one will be a tough one to get because of various reasons. Going to try and do a quick and dirty cut of that sequence and see how it plays without that shot. We'll see.

The actors were absolutely fantastic and really hung in there in the heat, especially in our makeshift "sound stage".

Going to go into post almost immediately, dead line approaching fast.

Looks like another crazy and jam-packed post for this one. 8 days until the deadline!

I'm going to have to re-shoot a scene and also pick-up a couple of shots. This late in the game, it's going to really kick my ass time-wise, but it needs to be done.

I'm pleased to announce that the poster for the film has been completed. I've posted it up on the first page.

Other "marketing" chores to do: sig banner, Facebook page, web page.

About 96 hours until the deadline. I was laid out with a cold all day yesterday. Squeezed in a few hours of editing before I crashed last night. Finishing this mutha up is going to be a real chore. Pedal to the metal until Friday morning!

I re-shot the final couple of shots on Satuday and they still didn't come out the way I'd like. Going to have to figure it out in the cut. I tried a couple of things that seem to work, but not the way I envisioned.

I have a couple of pick-up shots to do this week. Simple stuff that's quick and will just cut right in. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

I've approached the VFX as a kind of mix between classic 50's style and modern. I've completed one of the scenes and it came out pretty good I think. I'll get to the fun stuff tonight.

There's a long ass dialogue scene that I need to edit. I'm procrastinating. It will be THE biggest editing chore of the film. Planning to cut that on Wednesday when my head will hopefully be cleared up a bit.

I'll try and get some stills up and stuff in the next day or two.

It's about 24 hours before the deadline and still much to do.

I tested out some .mp4 renders last night and I've got the settings down, so I should be able to nail a <= 50mb file in one or two tries. That's a BIG relief knowing I won't have to deal with that part of the biz too much at the end.

I've got the cut just under 6 minutes, without having to sacrifice too much, so a big relief there.

The majority of what's left to do is sound work--a LOT of it.

It's going to be a LONG night. :zombie_smiley:

Uploaded the film this morning. I'm sitting here half-dead in my cube at work but looking forward to our annual Halloween potluck to pump in some needed energy (although I'm sure afterward, I'll be ready for a nap).

I'm happy with the cut I submitted. Not too bad for what amounts to a 13 day project. This is going to be the last "let's make a film at the last minute" adventure for a while. That kind of stuff is for the younger folks.

Got the sound about 80% mixed. A few minor issues here and there, but the story flows well enough for them not to distract too much. A few VFX glitches but, again, nothing earth-shattering.

This actually has been one of my favorite projects to work on in a while. I've been pretty much camped away in my hole over the last week-and-a-half so I haven't got a chance to thank all the great and talented people involved in the project. A very BIG shout out to my makeup artist, Cat Elrod, who did an amazing job on what was a truly crazy one-day shoot. This film would not have been possible without her. If you need a great MUA, look her up!

Now that I can breathe a little, I'll try and post some production stuff.

Hope everybody enjoys the film!

cinealma
10-04-2009, 11:44 PM
The Making of MONSTERS BEWARE!
----------------------------------------------------------------

PHOTOS

http://www.cinealma.com/monsters/media/bts/locationScouting_1.jpg

Location Scouting #1

http://www.cinealma.com/monsters/media/bts/locationScouting_2.jpg

Location Scouting #2

http://www.cinealma.com/monsters/media/bts/locationScouting_3.jpg

Location Scouting #3

http://www.cinealma.com/monsters/media/bts/CatAtWork.jpg

5:30am: Cat Elrod, make-up artist extraordinaire, goes to work on actor Jason Bogart. Actress Simone Alex wonders what the hell she's got herself into... again!

http://www.cinealma.com/monsters/media/bts/JasonInProgress.jpg

Monster-In-Progress

http://www.cinealma.com/monsters/media/bts/TomAndPaul.jpg

11:00pm: Actors Tom Marshall and Sam P. Whitehead... after 18 hours, the meth and coke hit the craft services table :shocked:

cinealma
10-04-2009, 11:44 PM
SCREEN SHOTS

http://www.cinealma.com/monsters/media/bts/mbImage_1.jpg

http://www.cinealma.com/monsters/media/bts/mbImage_2.jpg

http://www.cinealma.com/monsters/media/bts/mbImage_4.jpg

http://www.cinealma.com/monsters/media/bts/mbImage_3.jpg

cinealma
10-04-2009, 11:45 PM
And away we go. I've decided to throw a film in the hat. This horror/comedy project started off as a 48 hour film festival project I did last year. I've rewritten the script and will be re-shooting the film for a Monster Fest premiere!

This film will be a galaxy away from the usual art house fare I usually create. Trying to work on something a little bit more mainstream, so to speak.

More later...

ZazaCast
10-04-2009, 11:48 PM
YYY not?

Welcome to the fest!

cinealma
10-05-2009, 12:06 AM
YYY not?

Welcome to the fest!

Thanks, man. Should be fun!

John G.

ZazaCast
10-05-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm looking forward to it!

cinealma
10-05-2009, 04:27 PM

Hired on a makeup effects artist. This will free up a LOT of my time, so I'm very happy about that.

We'll be shooting on Saturday, October 17. A LONG day of shooting, but should be a blast!

Still looking for an HVX shooter with a camera. I've got some feelers out. I'd LOVE it if I didn't have to shoot this one myself. We'll see.

Script revision is coming along nicely. Hope to have a good workable draft in the next day or two to start with.

That's all for now. Cheers!

John G.

Charli
10-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Does "Dead Fellows" have any relation to the "Thin Man" for I could swear they were cousins. Good Luck!

cinealma
10-06-2009, 08:46 PM

Finished a good draft of the script. God, I hate the six minute time limit. Kudos to those who can write a great script in such a small number of pages.

Marlon Ladd
10-07-2009, 10:24 AM
YES!! Glad to see you in. Got shoot dates scheduled?

cinealma
10-07-2009, 11:11 AM
YES!! Glad to see you in. Got shoot dates scheduled?

Thanks, Marlon. Yep, main shooting day is next Saturday, the 17th. I'll probably have a night or two to pick up a couple of shots, but will try to get 99% of it done on that Saturday. Then it's balls to the wall post.

Cheers!

John G.

Marlon Ladd
10-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Good! Keep us posted and post grabs.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Hey, John. Thanks for dropping by my thread.
You know I love your work as well. :)
I read that you're going a little more mainstream this time. I hope you still keep some of your artistic touch that makes your work stand out. Especially visually.

I'm sure you will.
Best of luck!

MAH

Rodney V. Smith
10-07-2009, 04:46 PM

I always have that problem. The script for the original werewolf version of "Flower" ended up being 15 pages. So i underwrote my next two scripts becasue I figured out that I shoot long fo pacing and such, so it all comes out in the wash. Just depends on how you shoot and how much action you have.

Is your script action based or more dialog? You'l find it easier to make the cuts in editign anyway.

BTW: welcome!

cinealma
10-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Hey, John. Thanks for dropping by my thread.
You know I love your work as well. :)
I read that you're going a little more mainstream this time. I hope you still keep some of your artistic touch that makes your work stand out. Especially visually.

I'm sure you will.
Best of luck!

MAH

Well, I'll try. :happy:

However, you must know that my "other side" is outlandish, campy comedy that usually only I laugh at. So might be a little, um, different than the usual fare.

But I'll get some artsy stuff in there, just for you my friend. :laugh:

Cheers!

John G.

cinealma
10-07-2009, 04:52 PM
I always have that problem. The script for the original werewolf version of "Flower" ended up being 15 pages. So i underwrote my next two scripts becasue I figured out that I shoot long fo pacing and such, so it all comes out in the wash. Just depends on how you shoot and how much action you have.

Is your script action based or more dialog? You'l find it easier to make the cuts in editign anyway.

BTW: welcome!

It's a bit of both, actually. However, it's kind of set up as a lot of dialog with bookend action. If that makes sense.

My biggest "challenge" is that I can never approach writing with a page or word limit. I just write and wherever it ends up, wherever the story takes me, that's how long it is.

cinealma
10-08-2009, 11:00 AM

We got the green light on the location. A big relief.

I'll be tweaking the script some more. The new ending doesn't seem to work out as well as the original. Decisions, decisions. Have some work to do, here.

I probably should start working on a poster, too. Looks like it's one of the requirements.

That's all for now. Cheers!

John G.

Marlon Ladd
10-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Good goin' on the location. Make it happen, John.

cinealma
10-10-2009, 12:49 PM

One week until the shoot. Getting jazzed up and raring to go!

Title of the film has been changed to MONSTERS BEWARE! The script has changed a bit from the original, so a new title was needed that better reflects the story.

Starting to work with our terrific makeup artist, Cat Elrod, on some design ideas. If you want to check out some of her really cool work, go to: www.1881zombies.com (http://www.1881zombies.com). She did all the creature/gore stuff on that project.

More script work today. I think I finally figured out how to tie some things together that have bugging the crap out of me for a while.

Special shout out to Charli Gulley. She's been kind enough to give me some script feedback and let me bounce some ideas back and forth her way.

Still looking for somebody to shoot this thing. I can do it myself, but I'd rather focus strictly on directing and general production management. I don't have a lot of budget in the camera department, so hoping someone comes along who is into the "art of it" and wants to have a blast shooting a fun movie.

That's all for now.

Cheers!

Chris_Keaton
10-11-2009, 09:09 AM
All this hard work on a script when I had so many for the taking, tssk, tssk. What's that saying 'A director who has himself as a writer is like a defendant serving as his own lawyer.' :happy:

Good luck can't wait to see it! This fest is going to ROCK!

cinealma
10-11-2009, 01:53 PM
What's that saying 'A director who has himself as a writer is like a defendant serving as his own lawyer.' :happy:

George Lucas does come to mind. :happy:

John G.

Chris_Keaton
10-11-2009, 04:20 PM
George Lucas does come to mind. :happy:

John G.

He wrote some of the Star Wars movies and a couple in college. That's it? Sure he's credited with the stories of his other movies, but someone else wrote the screenplays.

I'd of used Tarantino or M. Knight as an example.

cinealma
10-11-2009, 04:42 PM
He wrote some of the Star Wars movies and a couple in college. That's it? Sure he's credited with the stories of his other movies, but someone else wrote the screenplays.

I'd of used Tarantino or M. Knight as an example.

Personally I think most directors who write their own stuff are pretty good at it. I used Lucas as an example because he's not. He actually wrote the screenplay for Star Wars 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6. Yep, that's what makes Empire Strikes Back the best of the bunch. :happy:

I actually like Tarantino. M. Knight? Sixth Sense, was good. Didn't care for the others.

But I guess that's another conversation for another time.

Cheers!

John G.

TMerry
10-11-2009, 05:01 PM
I always try to be involved in the writing myself. It's great being able to write-in and out items/ dialogue to make the filming process work better. I was lucky to team up with a great writer, Patrick Sweeney, who handled most of the heavy lifting but let me get my chops in there too.

Good luck with the shoot next week, looking forward to seeing some grabs ;-)

Charli
10-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks for letting me come along for the ride. Feedback is fun when you have a good solid foundation.

This is a fun story to be a part of, I'm excited!!!

Herman Witkam
10-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Reading :)

cinealma
10-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Reading :)

Very cool. Hey, this is right up your alley!

John G.

cinealma
10-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks for letting me come along for the ride. Feedback is fun when you have a good solid foundation.

This is a fun story to be a part of, I'm excited!!!

Glad to have you on board.

John G.

cinealma
10-12-2009, 09:09 PM

Charli Gulley is officially on board as co-screenwriter.

Herman Witkam is now on board for the score.

The script is 100% there story-wise. Just tightening up the dialogue a bit.

18 days until the deadline. This is going to be quite the adventure.

That's all for now.

Cheers!

John G.

Tom Marshall
10-13-2009, 01:02 AM
:thumbsup:

cinealma
10-13-2009, 03:05 PM

Crazy day so far. Shooting four days; adrenaline is flowing.

Script is just about locked. Going to be sending the draft out to everybody today. They've been chomping at the bit, so I look forward to their feedback.

Unfortunately, I've decided that Herman Witkam will not be doing the score after all. I 110% know he'd do a kick-ass job on this, and it's SO much in his wheelhouse. But the scheduling is just way too tight to allow him the time he needs to work on the project. And I don't want to kill him just to get it done. If I had shot this much earlier, it would be a no-brainer: Herman's the man!

I've been on the phone talking to DeWolfe in regards to music licensing. They have some stuff that is the style I'm looking for. If the licensing is cheap, I may just take it.

I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of DP's. Please, oh please, oh please, oh please....

STILL need a classic/vintage car for the shoot. Doesn't have to be cherry, just fit in the 50's/60's period. I'm stressing!

That's all for now.

Cheers!

John G.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Herman is da man. Good luck! :)

Charli
10-14-2009, 07:01 AM
John and I spend several hours yesterday refining the script. First I would like to say I've never "co-written" any type of short script or feature with anyone, this is my first collaboration.

Did I mention how freakin' fun John is?

The man is so detailed he could put on film a gnat going up your nose and make it seem perfectly natural to dissect the gnat after and then eat it.

John is fun, he's silly, the script is so much fun - I had a great time and thanks for the pep talk, you almost lost me near 10pm, I got loopy.

Collaboration is fun, just put yourself out there and enjoy the ride!

Chris_Keaton
10-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Google some local car clubs and shoot them a line. You'll be flooded with choices.

Simon HŲfer
10-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Herman is da man. Good luck! :)

Yeah, don't underestimate him. He is REALLY fast.

cinealma
10-14-2009, 04:27 PM
John and I spend several hours yesterday refining the script. First I would like to say I've never "co-written" any type of short script or feature with anyone, this is my first collaboration.

Did I mention how freakin' fun John is?

The man is so detailed he could put on film a gnat going up your nose and make it seem perfectly natural to dissect the gnat after and then eat it.

John is fun, he's silly, the script is so much fun - I had a great time and thanks for the pep talk, you almost lost me near 10pm, I got loopy.

Collaboration is fun, just put yourself out there and enjoy the ride!

It's been a pleasure. I can't wait to shoot it!

John G.

cinealma
10-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Google some local car clubs and shoot them a line. You'll be flooded with choices.

Yep, did that. I have few "I know a guy with a car who'd probably love to do it" replies, but then nothing afterwards. Haven't had much luck. But that's ok. I have a couple of alternatives that should work out fine.

Yeah, don't underestimate him. He is REALLY fast.

Yes, he's awesome! Just have to see if it will all work out in the end.

Cheers!

John G.

Tom Marshall
10-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Yep, did that. I have few "I know a guy with a car who'd probably love to do it" replies, but then nothing afterwards. Haven't had much luck. But that's ok. I have a couple of alternatives that should work out fine.

I would say buy me a radiator and I'd drive out there, but I don't think it would make it that far even with a new radiator... :Drogar-KnockedOut(D

cinealma
10-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I would say buy me a radiator and I'd drive out there, but I don't think it would make it that far even with a new radiator... :Drogar-KnockedOut(D

Ha ha! Yeah, you know what? I was actually thinking about offering to do that, too! Crazy minds think alike, my friend. :beer:

John G.

cinealma
10-14-2009, 07:51 PM

Spending the day working on and finishing up pre-pro paperwork. Breakdown of the script completed. Getting my shot lists together this evening.

Weather is going to be a little crazy, 95 degrees and sunny according to the weatherman.

Not much else, everything's rolling along.

Cheers!

John G.

Marlon Ladd
10-15-2009, 07:42 AM
95? Really? We need some of that weather over here in OKC. It's been raining and muggy out here like we're in Seattle or somethin'.

Brickhouse
10-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Better than 20 below with 2 feet of snow!

cinealma
10-16-2009, 09:49 PM

Long day of running around, tying up loose ends, picking up odds and ends, etc. I'm exhausted (L.A. traffic really wears you out).

Our shooting day is tomorrow. I'm pretty jazzed! Look forward to a fantastic day of making movie magic!

Going to TRY and get to bed at a decent hour, but I know that ain't going to happen. Hopefully will get SOME sleep tonight.

Cheers!

John G.

cinealma
10-18-2009, 03:53 PM

Trying to recover from yesterday's 18 hour shoot. I swear to God I'll never do that again. (Yeah, right.) Well, my mind and heart may be willing, but this body's getting too old do stuff like that.

All in all, a good shoot. Need to do a couple of pick ups.

We ran a little behind schedule and so I wound up missing a shot I think I need. That one will be a tough one to get because of various reasons. Going to try and do a quick and dirty cut of that sequence and see how it plays without that shot. We'll see.

The actors were absolutely fantastic and really hung in there in the heat, especially in our makeshift "sound stage".

Going to go into post almost immediately, dead line approaching fast.

I post some stuff when I get a chance.

Cheers!

Sprocketboy
10-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Trying to recover from yesterday's 18 hour shoot. I swear to God I'll never do that again.

The problem with doing shoestring budget films is that we try to shoot 2 days in 1 day. You, my friend, surpassed that by 2 hours. Congratulations! Have a cigar. One of my shoot days hit 16 hours and some of us had 3 hours sleep before the next days shoot. That one ran for 13 hours. The real trick is to get your cast and crew to still love you.

Looking forward to getting a taste of your movie madness.

cinealma
10-18-2009, 05:31 PM
The problem with doing shoestring budget films is that we try to shoot 2 days in 1 day. You, my friend, surpassed that by 2 hours. Congratulations! Have a cigar. One of my shoot days hit 16 hours and some of us had 3 hours sleep before the next days shoot. That one ran for 13 hours. The real trick is to get your cast and crew to still love you.

Looking forward to getting a taste of your movie madness.

Exactly, and really, your 2 days should have been 3. :zombie_smiley:

Thanks, I hope you'll enjoy it!

Cheers!

John G.

Charli
10-18-2009, 05:51 PM
No way I could have made it yesterday, but today would have been great! Cloudy, breezy - arg!

Hope you can press through.

cinealma
10-22-2009, 10:47 AM

Looks like another crazy and jam-packed post for this one. 8 days until the deadline!

I'm going to have to re-shoot a scene and also pick-up a couple of shots. This late in the game, it's going to really kick my ass time-wise, but it needs to be done.

I'm pleased to announce that the poster for the film has been completed. I've posted it up on the first page.

Other "marketing" chores to do: sig banner, Facebook page, web page.

That's all for now.

Cheers!

John G.

Marlon Ladd
10-22-2009, 11:04 AM
8 days? Man, that's plenty of time. Two 20 hour editing days with pop-tarts and water and you'll be done. Of course you won't be able to see straight, but you'll be done. :happy:

I see you put in some long hours. Those long days make you feel like you got alot done, but then you were so rushed that you didn't get what you wished you would have. The important thing is, you got it done. Reshoots are par for the course and can be pretty fun, more relaxing and less time consuming. Keep us posted.

xxrotinivol2
10-22-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm sure others have commented on your poster, but it's f-ing amazing. I can't wait to see your movie. Good luck on the edit.

Charli
10-22-2009, 07:00 PM
I LOVE the poster - so cool!

Marlon Ladd
10-23-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm at work and can't see the poster from here. Very strange, because some pics come up fine and then some not at all. Anyway, will check it out later for sure.

cinealma
10-26-2009, 12:01 PM

About 96 hours until the deadline. I was laid out with a cold all day yesterday. Squeezed in a few hours of editing before I crashed last night. Finishing this mutha up is going to be a real chore. Pedal to the metal until Friday morning!

I re-shot the final couple of shots on Satuday and they still didn't come out the way I'd like. Going to have to figure it out in the cut. I tried a couple of things that seem to work, but not the way I envisioned.

I have a couple of pick-up shots to do this week. Simple stuff that's quick and will just cut right in. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

I've approached the VFX as a kind of mix between classic 50's style and modern. I've completed one of the scenes and it came out pretty good I think. I'll get to the fun stuff tonight.

There's a long ass dialogue scene that I need to edit. I'm procrastinating. It will be THE biggest editing chore of the film. Planning to cut that on Wednesday when my head will hopefully be cleared up a bit.

I'll try and get some stills up and stuff in the next day or two.

That's all for now.

Charli
10-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Go Go Go Go!

Tom Marshall
10-26-2009, 04:38 PM
As Rob Schneider would say... You can dooo eeeeet!

cinealma
10-26-2009, 04:55 PM
As Rob Schneider would say... You can dooo eeeeet!

Yeah, and pretty much... ALL NIGHT LONG! :zombie_smiley:

Marlon Ladd
10-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Don't worry about the stills. You get that editing done. Finally got to see the poster. Love it!!! It's got that old campy horror, old-school comic-type style. I really dig it. Push through and holler if you need any help.

cinealma
10-29-2009, 10:07 AM

I tested out some .mp4 renders last night and I've got the settings down, so I should be able to nail a <= 50mb file in one or two tries. That's a BIG relief knowing I won't have to deal with that part of the biz too much at the end.

I've got the cut just under 6 minutes, without having to sacrifice too much, so a big relief there.

Om Nom Nom
10-29-2009, 11:39 AM

Good luck! I'm sure the finished product will be worth the long night

Marlon Ladd
10-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Make sure you have a finished product (as finished as it can be) uploaded several hours before the deadline. Then tweak away on an updated version and if you get that finished you can upload that one to replace the old one.

JTyner
10-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Good Luck!

Bust it out!

Charli
10-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Well, what the hey are you online, go go go! Good Lucky!

Mood Niatrec
10-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Good Luck! Looking forward to the finished flick!

cinealma
10-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the support guys! Much appreciated. I hope you like it.

cinealma
10-30-2009, 11:13 AM

Uploaded the film this morning. I'm sitting here half-dead in my cube at work but looking forward to our annual Halloween potluck to pump in some needed energy (although I'm sure afterward, I'll be ready for a nap).

I'm happy with the cut I submitted. Not too bad for what amounts to a 13 day project. This is going to be the last "let's make a film at the last minute" adventure for a while. That kind of stuff is for the younger folks.

Got the sound about 80% mixed. A few minor issues here and there, but the story flows well enough for them not to distract too much. A few VFX glitches but, again, nothing earth-shattering.

This actually has been one of my favorite projects to work on in a while. I've been pretty much camped away in my hole over the last week-and-a-half so I haven't got a chance to thank all the great and talented people involved in the project. A very BIG shout out to my makeup artist, Cat Elrod, who did an amazing job on what was a truly crazy one-day shoot. This film would not have been possible without her. If you need a great MUA, look her up!

Now that I can breathe a little, I'll try and post some production stuff.

Hope everybody enjoys the film!

Matt Harris
10-30-2009, 11:51 AM
cine - another comedy in the fest, great! i wish you had some screen grabs though!

cinealma
10-30-2009, 11:56 AM
cine - another comedy in the fest, great! i wish you had some screen grabs though!

Coming soon! :happy:

Marlon Ladd
10-30-2009, 12:07 PM
I see you're uploaded, John. Nice!! Now, where are those grabs?? We gotta' have something to do between today and tomorrow before the films go up.

cinealma
10-30-2009, 12:50 PM
I've started adding stuff to the "making of" post #3 on page 1.

First up, some pics.

Charli
10-30-2009, 12:59 PM
I think Tommy looks real natural in his picture, yah, that's what he looks like up close - LOL. You guys look cool!

cinealma
10-30-2009, 05:12 PM
The official Monsters Beware! fan page is up on Facebook. All kinds of wild and crazy stuff going on over there, so check it out and become a fan! :thumbsup:

MONSTERS BEWARE! on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Monsters-Beware/188283549151)

cinealma
10-31-2009, 12:19 AM
SCREEN SHOTS

http://www.cinealma.com/monsters/media/bts/mbImage_1.jpg

http://www.cinealma.com/monsters/media/bts/mbImage_2.jpg

http://www.cinealma.com/monsters/media/bts/mbImage_4.jpg

http://www.cinealma.com/monsters/media/bts/mbImage_3.jpg

Tom Marshall
10-31-2009, 03:18 AM
That old truck was so freaking cool...

Sprocketboy
10-31-2009, 08:11 AM
Excellent! In glorious black and white. Great 1950s location lighting and set pieces. You appear to have a good handle on this genre.

TMerry
10-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Love the poster and your blog comments
" last "let's make a film at the last minute" adventure for a while. That kind of stuff is for the younger folks."

LOL!

Looking forward to seeing this one tonight too!

Charli
10-31-2009, 11:05 AM
I hope you've recovered from the editing, the sickness, the pressure, all of it and can now just relax, well, after you take your kids trick-o-treating.

Shaun Patrick
10-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Great frame grabs. Where did you find the truck?

cinealma
10-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the support. I hope you all enjoy the film as much as I did making it.

Shaun, the old truck was just sitting, rusting away at the ranch we shot at. Looks like it was pretty much parked there decades ago and hasn't been moved since. It's a nice set piece and one of those "happy accidents".

Geoff_R
10-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Nice grabs! Excited to check this one out, John.

Marlon Ladd
10-31-2009, 01:53 PM
John, this looks great!! Love the B&W. I'd thought about going that direction too, but I don't think it would have fit my theme as well. Looks like it's perfect for yours. Can't wait to see what ya' did here, man.

EditPhish
11-01-2009, 02:31 AM
It looked really good other than in the middle part (with the UFO the B&W didn't seem as contrasty). I also found it entertaining, but the story lost me in a few parts. You definitely captured the feel of an old-time movie. The details were perfect. Loved the humor too.

MrFluffy
11-01-2009, 07:26 AM
Loved this, really cool. Story was great mixing monsters and aliens. Well produced, great fun.

dust'n the callipygous
11-01-2009, 09:27 AM
one of my favorites. looked good, it was funny, great acting too.

J.R. Hudson
11-01-2009, 10:14 AM
This one was one I really liked.

I especially dug the fact you made it feel like an old 40's film with the way it was shot and the use of the score.

I thought the dialogue ran a bit long in the automobile, but still, a lot of fun.

Dauntless
11-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Really good job capturing the old school horror films... Very nice quality.

Gord.T
11-01-2009, 01:20 PM
You really captured the old horror feel. The choice of music was spot on.
The opening scene of the spider, titles and music was perfect.

And it was nice to finally see Tom without his usual makeup on.
I keep telling him that girls dig guys with big scars but he won't listen. :)
( Actually, I think if you added a couple of bolts on his neck he just might start a new fashion trend.)

Makeup was excellent, although the werewolf was a mask I think? It didn't stand up as well as the regular MU did.

All of the acting was spot on as usual. It was weird to see Sam in a big mask but he pulled it off pretty good.

Everyone did a great job.

NOBELO
11-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Excellent job! Acting was great and it truly felt like an old movie not just with the music but with everything (makeup, script, wardrobe etc.) This is definitely one of the more solid pieces in the fest. I'd like to see some more of your stuff if there is any.

AmyO
11-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Fun film. I love that the monster collector is a woman. The car scene started to drag for me, but it wasn't boring. The characters were too much fun. "Zombie wannabe". Ha! The style was well executed and consistent throughout. Nice job. :)

Denis Haineault
11-01-2009, 07:46 PM
I really liked this overall. The title sequence was perfect for the era you were going for. A good collection of old style monsters mixed into one spot. Great job!

Marlon Ladd
11-01-2009, 08:00 PM
John, this film was solid and lots of fun. You really captured what you were going for and I'm impressed that you did it with so little time. The footage looked great and you had some great shots in here as well. Everything seemed solid. My only itty-bitty criticisms would be when they're in the car, it's obvious that it's not moving. If that was an intended part of the story, then never mind. Otherwise you can still fix that in post by just adding some light flashing by across the windshield or something to that affect in AE. The only other thing I noticed was the shot at the end when the girl is driving by herself, when she gets out she doesn't have her hat on. Don't think too many people will notice that though, because I actually had to go back to double-check. Anyway, very nice and very professional and very creative job!! I knew you could do it.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2009, 08:12 PM
This was weird, strange, and hilarious!
I loved it.

Shots were great. Lighting was great. Acting was great. It all worked.
I really wanted some lights bouncing off the windshield as cars passed by but I know that probably wouldn't have worked for what you were going for.

Great job all around. The car ride was tops!

MAH

Jason Ramsey
11-01-2009, 08:13 PM
You always have some of the most unique entries in the fest.... Well-done overall...

I appreciate that when I watch one of your entries that I'm getting a distinct voice from you.

later,
jason

Blaine
11-01-2009, 08:31 PM
This was entertaining. I loved the fact that you played it for laughs which allowed you to have the corny over-the-top alien spaceship in the middle.

The only thing this was missing was a cameo by Abbott & Costello.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2009, 08:46 PM
The only thing this was missing was a cameo by Abbott & Costello.LOL! That would have been perfect! :grin:

Chris_Keaton
11-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Really liked the feel of this piece. Some points seemed a little awkward, but there were some very funny lines. Good job.

mobiledeli
11-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Im really happy to see a black and white entry.
The executing the 1940's style.
It was very entertaining. It is cool that the monsters are the ones being hunted.

Now. Perfect.

Nitsuj
11-01-2009, 10:34 PM
This was a fun flick! It made me chuckle. I loved how the UFO looked with the little bit of lightning shooting out as it popped out from behind the trees. It gave that little touch that went a long way. Good job!

Edgen
11-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Go Tom!!

Cool and fun flick guys.

Looking forward to the next round!
/j

Michele Seidman
11-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Enjoyed this a lot and want to know who's naked butt did I get to see?

:)

Noel Evans
11-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Great stuff guys. A shitload of fun.

Tom, nicely done. Hit every note.

Charli
11-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I want to go out and buy a slinky now.

Geoff_R
11-02-2009, 05:15 PM
This was a fun one. Liked the classical tone it portrayed and it works well on that level. Cool concept as well with the girl being a monster hunter/collector of sorts. Thanks for sharing!

Mark Johnson
11-02-2009, 07:45 PM
FANTASTIC! I am so much into B-movies and you totally rocked the house. Jeez-loueez, the look and feel and the score were amazing.

And I totally loved Tommy's character! The hit by the bus conversation had me rolling.

This is definitely top drawer work, sir.

Sprocketboy
11-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Your 1950s B-movie Sci-Fi romp made my day. The wolfman is tricked by a rubber ducky. Hilarious and ridiculous in one stroke. The story builds to absolute insanity from the very beginning to the alien ships at the end. Its rough around the edges but not enough to take the smile off my face. Thanks.

cinealma
11-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks guys for all the kind comments and stuff. I really had a blast making this film and I'm glad you enjoyed it. My goal this go around was to make something fun and entertaining in some form or fashion, so it's great to hear people got a kick out of it.

Rodney V. Smith
11-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Well damn dude: you succeeded in capturing the campy fun vibe on every level. This was a fantastic romp and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was waiting for a flashback on the "I got hit by a bus" line... (I dunno, guy steps into road, turns and looks and puts up his hand in horror as lights approach him...) It would have kept up the established flashback from the previous story. Plus it would have been a hoot to see.

You just made me use the term "hoot" in a review. Now I'll be talking like Humphrey Bogart for the rest of the night. Sigh.

Apart from that one "wish I had seen", I enjoyed everything else, even the hokey flying saucer. Absolutely note perfect.

A great genre piece. You get a high score from me sir.

hoz
11-03-2009, 06:36 PM
great film!!!

you got some great shots. looked like a lot of fun to make also. congrats!!! even love your poster. spot on.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Just wanted to pop in a second time and say how much I really enjoyed this movie. Everyone did such a great job. Was it as fun to make as it was to watch?

John, you always give us something unique and entertaining. The fact that you also pulled this off fairly last minute is astounding. Well done.

MAH

Dustin R. Rogan
11-03-2009, 08:04 PM
So you're the one that had to take my ass shot and out do me...from one ass shooting director to another I tip my hat to you sir...however...you should have taken one for the team and done it yourself :D....wait no its prolly best you didn't...cuz its a biatch to get rid of that label...(heavy sigh)

Rogan

Maximus
11-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Really enjoyed your film. Even though the subject matter was uber cliche B movie material, your approach still felt unusual and arty. Your work has a slightly off kilter vibe to it, which I like, and makes it distinctly yours.

Loved your use of stock music. Really set the tone.

Your black and white cinematography is amazing!

Great job. :beer:

killacam
11-04-2009, 12:32 PM
well done and funny. too much man ass though. jk. I thought it was pretty period accurate- was very 50s-ish and especially the music and credits were spot on. some nice effects in there too.

cinealma
11-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Well damn dude: you succeeded in capturing the campy fun vibe on every level. This was a fantastic romp and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was waiting for a flashback on the "I got hit by a bus" line... (I dunno, guy steps into road, turns and looks and puts up his hand in horror as lights approach him...) It would have kept up the established flashback from the previous story. Plus it would have been a hoot to see.

You just made me use the term "hoot" in a review. Now I'll be talking like Humphrey Bogart for the rest of the night. Sigh.

Apart from that one "wish I had seen", I enjoyed everything else, even the hokey flying saucer. Absolutely note perfect.

A great genre piece. You get a high score from me sir.

Thanks, Rodney. Yeah, the bus scene would have been great. Only had 6 minutes, though. There was also a disembodied hand bit that didn't make it either. But there will be a longer cut! So stay tuned.

Cheers!

great film!!!

you got some great shots. looked like a lot of fun to make also. congrats!!! even love your poster. spot on.

Thanks! It was a real blast to shoot. Everybody had a great time, although it was damn hot in that car (90's that day). Thanks again for watching!

Just wanted to pop in a second time and say how much I really enjoyed this movie. Everyone did such a great job. Was it as fun to make as it was to watch?

John, you always give us something unique and entertaining. The fact that you also pulled this off fairly last minute is astounding. Well done.

MAH

Thanks, Mr. Horrigan. Glad you enjoyed it. Yep, we had a ton of fun. We shot the werewolf stuff at, like, 10:00 at night, and by that time we'd all been up for almost 18 hours, so the chuckles ruined a few takes as we were pretty jacked up and giddy. Thanks again for watching!

So you're the one that had to take my ass shot and out do me...from one ass shooting director to another I tip my hat to you sir...however...you should have taken one for the team and done it yourself :D....wait no its prolly best you didn't...cuz its a biatch to get rid of that label...(heavy sigh)

Rogan

Thanks, Dustin. Yeah, well, if I'd have shot my own ass it would have REALLY been a horror film. :shocked: Plus, that'd be sacrilege. YOU are the master.

Cheers!

Really enjoyed your film. Even though the subject matter was uber cliche B movie material, your approach still felt unusual and arty. Your work has a slightly off kilter vibe to it, which I like, and makes it distinctly yours.

Loved your use of stock music. Really set the tone.

Your black and white cinematography is amazing!

Great job. :beer:

Thank you sir! Glad you liked it and thanks for checking it out.

well done and funny. too much man ass though. jk. I thought it was pretty period accurate- was very 50s-ish and especially the music and credits were spot on. some nice effects in there too.

Thanks for watching! Kudos to Paul, though. He had to run barefoot through the woodsy area on top of sticks, rocks, bugs, snakes, etc. in the middle of the night. I think there was a mountain lion lurking about somewhere, too! :shocked:

Cheers!

Richard J. Johnson
11-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Very well done. Very fun film. Make up was excellent, score was great, I thought is was very twilight zone in the look and feel. and that aint no bad thing. Great job all around.

The only thing I would have done different was use an old car.

Rakesh Jacob
11-04-2009, 04:07 PM
F-ing classic man! Dead on with the look and feel. And thank who ever that was in the first shot for not turning around :)

bosindy
11-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Loved it! you are such a normal guy in person but your filmmaking voice is always so wacked (in a really good way). great homage to 1950's cinema. The music and affects are absolutely perfect. The tone of the performances are spot on. There is an element of camp that doesn't go completely over the top. Really interesting stuff and a joy to watch and lament about a bygone era. Great job!

ramsaur
11-05-2009, 04:14 AM
This was great! I loved the opening. I wasn't sure what I was expecting but I had the feeling it was going to be looking like an old film. The music and costumes were great as well. The acting seemed on spot. I felt like I was at the movies. Oh yes, and the two zombies were excellent, got me laughing and both looked good as far as production.

cinealma
11-05-2009, 10:19 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that Jason Bogart, who played Jimmy, is Humphrey Bogart's nephew.

cinealma
11-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Very well done. Very fun film. Make up was excellent, score was great, I thought is was very twilight zone in the look and feel. and that aint no bad thing. Great job all around.

The only thing I would have done different was use an old car.

Yep. Totally agree about the car. Ran out of time to find something, so I got a hold of a PT Cruiser. Kind of blends the modern with classic, much like the monsters themselves.

Thanks for watching!

F-ing classic man! Dead on with the look and feel. And thank who ever that was in the first shot for not turning around :)

Ha Ha. You and me both!

Thanks!

Loved it! you are such a normal guy in person but your filmmaking voice is always so wacked (in a really good way). great homage to 1950's cinema. The music and affects are absolutely perfect. The tone of the performances are spot on. There is an element of camp that doesn't go completely over the top. Really interesting stuff and a joy to watch and lament about a bygone era. Great job!

Thanks, Mr. Demo. Glad you enjoyed it.

This was great! I loved the opening. I wasn't sure what I was expecting but I had the feeling it was going to be looking like an old film. The music and costumes were great as well. The acting seemed on spot. I felt like I was at the movies. Oh yes, and the two zombies were excellent, got me laughing and both looked good as far as production.

I was really glad I got a make-up artist on the film. Cat Elrod did a great job for me and this thing probably never would have been made if it were not for her coming in at the last minute.

Thanks for watching! Glad you got a kick out of it.

Mark Harris
11-06-2009, 04:20 PM
As always, you rule the school. Awesome and Fun.

ZazaCast
11-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Really good film! Not much to say other than great job.... thanks for sharing.
Loved it.

cinealma
11-07-2009, 11:05 AM
As always, you rule the school. Awesome and Fun.

Thanks, Mark. Glad you enjoyed it!

Really good film! Not much to say other than great job.... thanks for sharing.
Loved it.

Thank you, sir.

Charli
11-08-2009, 07:30 PM
For the last two days I've had that music where the girl alien is driving in the car, yeah, that 50's music in my head! Ack! I feel I should be wearing a poodle skirt, saddle shoes and a white top with cuffed shoulder sleeves, oh and pigtails.

joshreluctant
11-08-2009, 11:45 PM
This movie seems to have absolutely no story. She traps monsters like Poke'mon? Is that it? Not really sure what was going on there. When she got into the car with the zombie and the "re-animated" guy, I thought to myself, "Hmm... must be some alternate reality where monsters have replaced people?", and then spent the rest of the movie being insanely confused. Didn't get why she was using childrens toys to catch them.

Catching monsters is a cool idea, I just think you went a little haywire with the story and added way too many elements, and lost me in the process.

Shot wise, very basic, and there were 4 or 5 cuts where the color grade went way darker for some reason, then ramped back up for the next shot. Like you pasted it over all of them, without realizing that several of them already had it on them.

One thing I did really like, was the make-up effects on the zombie guy. Big fan of zombies.

cinealma
11-09-2009, 10:15 AM
One thing I did really like, was the make-up effects on the zombie guy. Big fan of zombies.

Our make-up artist, Cat Elrod, did a fantastic job. She appreciates your comment.

Thanks for watching!

Susanne G.
11-09-2009, 10:42 AM
I laughed throughout the film. This was a absolutely super enjoyable remake of films from the sixties. The actors did a fantastic job, especially Tom - I adore the make up - the scar in his face. The film reminds me a bit of the british tv series 'The Avengers' - your actress seems like the character Emma Peel. This film took me really positively by surprise. Compliments!

Susanne

lawriejaffa
11-10-2009, 07:02 PM
This film is an enjoyable romp - i say film, but as a few have suggested it does feel really more like a skit on a comedy chatshow etc. Perhaps...

But i think theres enough going on here to warrant a more complete experience as one might find in a sketch alone. The story or lack there of - is playing obvious second fiddle to style and gags. I think more effort could have been made (and to be honest without huge effort) to make a basic storyline more apparent.

This would lend more crediblity to this as an actual complete project - a full film in its own right. This is important as any filmmaker can pimp out a truncated scene or promo like piece of media and call it a film (in a festival like this) where we're kind of in the multi-media jon measuring um... exposures (phwoar) but for public view, would this be in a short film festival? (Perhaps actually!!! But only because its so funny, but it plays with fire in that regard.)

Annnyway, the performances are amusing, and i love the exchanges in the car. I think its a shame that period consistency wasnt maintained with the vehicle however.

Special mention to Tom Marshall (who particularly amused me with his performance.)

Overall this is a slick, and amusing piece, that could have done with more story as is said, and better production consistency. But overall its a fun flick and very professionally made.

cinealma
11-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I laughed throughout the film. This was a absolutely super enjoyable remake of films from the sixties. The actors did a fantastic job, especially Tom - I adore the make up - the scar in his face. The film reminds me a bit of the british tv series 'The Avengers' - your actress seems like the character Emma Peel. This film took me really positively by surprise. Compliments!

Susanne

Thanks for watching! Glad you enjoyed it.

This film is an enjoyable romp - i say film, but as a few have suggested it does feel really more like a skit on a comedy chatshow etc. Perhaps...

But i think theres enough going on here to warrant a more complete experience as one might find in a sketch alone. The story or lack there of - is playing obvious second fiddle to style and gags. I think more effort could have been made (and to be honest without huge effort) to make a basic storyline more apparent.

This would lend more crediblity to this as an actual complete project - a full film in its own right. This is important as any filmmaker can pimp out a truncated scene or promo like piece of media and call it a film (in a festival like this) where we're kind of in the multi-media jon measuring um... exposures (phwoar) but for public view, would this be in a short film festival? (Perhaps actually!!! But only because its so funny, but it plays with fire in that regard.)

Annnyway, the performances are amusing, and i love the exchanges in the car. I think its a shame that period consistency wasnt maintained with the vehicle however.

Special mention to Tom Marshall (who particularly amused me with his performance.)

Overall this is a slick, and amusing piece, that could have done with more story as is said, and better production consistency. But overall its a fun flick and very professionally made.

Thanks for the detailed review. I'm glad you found the humor in it. I know, I know, I wish I would have been able to nail down an old car, but just didn't work out.

Thanks for watching!

Chris_Keaton
11-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah, sorry about that. I thought some one for sure would follow through.

xxrotinivol2
11-11-2009, 11:33 AM
love the world of wolfmen who run around in fear, zombies who donít know what just hit Ďem, and spaceships that randomly appear in the sky. The make-up was awesome, the story imaginative, and I enjoyed the performances by everyone. Itís a hilarious other world, so great work.

The movie worked for me.

Congrats on your top-13 finish, and I look forward to seeing how the final ratings shake up.

Ben Sliker
11-11-2009, 08:36 PM
John,

Charli was very persuasive in dragging me back on to DVXuser to review your film, ending my self-imposed ban while I concentrate on writing feature scripts. When in reality, all she had to say was "Ben, there's a naked dude running around in the beginning of the film, WATCH IT." That being said, I haven't read a bit of your thread, so i'll make the proverbial "sorry if someone's already said this" right now.

First off, very entertaining film. That's the most important part for me. I wasn't ever staring down at my QT timeline, wondering where the marker was. I was completely into the film for the duration. That said, I think the car ride in the middle dragged a bit, perhaps switching to a different location (like a gas station or something) and then back to the car would have solved that.

The sound effects, music, special effects all worked very well with the tone that you were trying to set. I would have rather seen this film shot in 4:3 with SLIGHT amounts of film clutter/elements integrated into it. Like a 50s PSA about how to protect yourself from a nuclear bomb. I think you were REALLY close to nailing the whole effect stylistically, but those small changes would have taken it over the top for me.

Acting wise, solid performances all around, I felt everyone who was playing a monster was, for the most part, natural in their role. As for the lead, I know the film is supposed to be camp-tastic, and the dialogue fit that tone, but I felt the lead bounced around a bit between acting campy, acting normal, and a bit of overacting. It wasn't as natural as the monsters. (of course, her character has more layers, obviously the toughest of the roles)

All in all, a very solid flick, and like I said at the beginning of my review, I was entertained throughout. Thanks for sharing and congrats on getting to the second round!

-ben

Charli
11-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Benny - many have tried to leave DVX but someone always drags them back into the pit of geekness, thanks!

Robbie Comeau
11-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Holy, at first I was gonna say how the driver looks like a mix between Francis from Malcolm in the Middle and Neil Patrick Harris from Harold and Kumar.......Then I looked at the credits, and realized it was TOM MARSHALL!

Good film. Nice shots, and a nice feel to the old films...Had the right tone and music for it!

Robbie

Marlon Ladd
11-12-2009, 11:00 AM
WTF?? Tom was in there? Nice!!

cinealma
11-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. I thought some one for sure would follow through.

I did get some leads, but nobody ever really followed through. That's just the way it goes sometimes in the crazy world of indie filmmaking. :cheesy:

Cheers!

love the world of wolfmen who run around in fear, zombies who donít know what just hit Ďem, and spaceships that randomly appear in the sky. The make-up was awesome, the story imaginative, and I enjoyed the performances by everyone. Itís a hilarious other world, so great work.

The movie worked for me.

Congrats on your top-13 finish, and I look forward to seeing how the final ratings shake up.

Thanks for watching and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Believe me, I had many thoughts of sticking a lot more in it, but it's tough with 6 minutes. There's another thread around asking "where's the giant monsters"? The thought crossed my mind more than a couple of times in putting the story together. :happy:

cinealma
11-12-2009, 12:40 PM
John,

Charli was very persuasive in dragging me back on to DVXuser to review your film, ending my self-imposed ban while I concentrate on writing feature scripts. When in reality, all she had to say was "Ben, there's a naked dude running around in the beginning of the film, WATCH IT." That being said, I haven't read a bit of your thread, so i'll make the proverbial "sorry if someone's already said this" right now.

First off, very entertaining film. That's the most important part for me. I wasn't ever staring down at my QT timeline, wondering where the marker was. I was completely into the film for the duration. That said, I think the car ride in the middle dragged a bit, perhaps switching to a different location (like a gas station or something) and then back to the car would have solved that.

The sound effects, music, special effects all worked very well with the tone that you were trying to set. I would have rather seen this film shot in 4:3 with SLIGHT amounts of film clutter/elements integrated into it. Like a 50s PSA about how to protect yourself from a nuclear bomb. I think you were REALLY close to nailing the whole effect stylistically, but those small changes would have taken it over the top for me.

Acting wise, solid performances all around, I felt everyone who was playing a monster was, for the most part, natural in their role. As for the lead, I know the film is supposed to be camp-tastic, and the dialogue fit that tone, but I felt the lead bounced around a bit between acting campy, acting normal, and a bit of overacting. It wasn't as natural as the monsters. (of course, her character has more layers, obviously the toughest of the roles)

All in all, a very solid flick, and like I said at the beginning of my review, I was entertained throughout. Thanks for sharing and congrats on getting to the second round!

-ben

Oh, God. Well, I hope it was worth it. :eek: :grin:

Thanks for taking the time out to check out the film and for leaving some detailed feedback. The comment about never staring at the QT timeline really makes me happy. After watching your own film a gazillion times while editing, you never know if it's just flowing because you know what's going to happen every second or if it's REALLY flowing. So that's good to know.

Some definite points in there that I'm thinking about as I expand on the film in a "non-6-minute-dvxuser-fest-cut" version (which I KNOW a lot of people have on the project board with their films).

The point about the actors might have a lot to do with the editing. Given the time crunch, I think the direction wasn't up to 100%. Each take tended to vary a bit through the spectrum. Probably needs to find a "voice" to maintain.

Welp, again, thanks for coming out and watching!

cinealma
11-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Holy, at first I was gonna say how the driver looks like a mix between Francis from Malcolm in the Middle and Neil Patrick Harris from Harold and Kumar.......Then I looked at the credits, and realized it was TOM MARSHALL!

Good film. Nice shots, and a nice feel to the old films...Had the right tone and music for it!

Robbie

Thanks, Robbie. I think you nailed it with Tom! :grin: Too funny!

Thanks for watching. Glad you liked it.

WTF?? Tom was in there? Nice!!

THE one and only Mr. Tom Marshall in the driver's seat. We took him off his meds and got some great results. :happy:

OldCorpse
11-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I'm a sucker for those 50's style B&W Z-graders... so I watched it all the way. The famous indie bugaboo, bad sound, was sadly in evidence, to me - some of the convo in the car was hard to make out, but whatev. Apart from that, it was technically OK for what it was trying to do. Cute idea, probably could have gotten a bit more out of it (f.ex. a bit more involvement from the girl in capturing the monsters - face to face interaction is more dramatically engaging rather than toys thrown). Decent writing, not bad overall - would watch more from the same crew!

Gord.T
11-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Disagree Corpse, but, whatev

Z-Grader and
so I watched it all way Good for you. Sorry they took up so much of your precious time as you suggest.

The famous indie bugaboo, bad sound, was sadly in evidence, to me Not to me, in fact it was perfect. I loved it. It fit perfectly.

some of the convo in the car was hard to make out Really? hmmmph. You got me there. Prehaps English isn't your first language?

Cute ideaHow do you think it's cute? I didn't find it cute. I don't think anyone else found it cute. Can you elaborate?

face to face interaction is more dramatically engaging rather than toys thrownMatter of opinion, and in this case, I don't respect yours. I loved the idaa of the toys being tossed in.

And it was more than 'technically OK'. It was ABOVE technically 'OKAY'.

Decent writing, not bad overall - would watch more from the same crew! Please, for my sake alone, don't bother.

Shawn Philip Nelson
11-13-2009, 11:21 PM
lol, nice!!

very fun movie, well executed, very evenly directed and great tone. You definitely deserve to be a finalist, congrats!

HerzogisGod
11-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Great work

You captured the feel of that era of filmmaking. Acting was natural and realistic. Locations were authentic for the time period. Thanks for turning me on to your film.

Good luck with the fest

TMerry
11-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Congrats on getting into the finals. I had watched, voted and commented on the majority of the films but hadn't gotten to your until today. So:

I thought the writing was funny, good dialog. The music was spot-on for the genre.
The only thing that could have improved this flick for me would be 1) a little more movement
of the car itself and some ambient shadows of some kind dancing off the actors in the shots
where it was the straight on 3 shot.

and

2) Some fake film grain plugin added to the video to match its era. The low-fi quality of this short is whats endearing about it, and the grain and imperfections would greatly enhance this IMHO.

The quality of the special effects were perfect for the film :-)

All around enjoyable!

Gilbert Garboni
11-15-2009, 01:33 PM
I just finished watching the film. I liked the black and white, I thought the effects were very, very good and I thought this was creative.

Dingos8mybaby
11-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Wow. That was awesome! I really enjoyed it, especially the score. Kudos to the cast & crew for doing a great job. :)

cinealma
11-15-2009, 08:55 PM
lol, nice!!

very fun movie, well executed, very evenly directed and great tone. You definitely deserve to be a finalist, congrats!

Thanks, Mr. Nelson. Glad you enjoyed it!

Great work

You captured the feel of that era of filmmaking. Acting was natural and realistic. Locations were authentic for the time period. Thanks for turning me on to your film.

Good luck with the fest

Yes, Herzog IS! :thumbsup: Thanks for watching and I'm glad you liked it!

Congrats on getting into the finals. I had watched, voted and commented on the majority of the films but hadn't gotten to your until today. So:

I thought the writing was funny, good dialog. The music was spot-on for the genre.
The only thing that could have improved this flick for me would be 1) a little more movement
of the car itself and some ambient shadows of some kind dancing off the actors in the shots
where it was the straight on 3 shot.

and

2) Some fake film grain plugin added to the video to match its era. The low-fi quality of this short is whats endearing about it, and the grain and imperfections would greatly enhance this IMHO.

The quality of the special effects were perfect for the film :-)

All around enjoyable!

Ask and you shall receive! Actually, I'm working on both of those items for the second cut of the film. I've got the passing car headlights working pretty well within After Effects I think. The "lo-fi" work is a work in progress. About 50% there.

Thanks for watching!

I just finished watching the film. I liked the black and white, I thought the effects were very, very good and I thought this was creative.

Thanks, Gilbert. Glad you liked it!

cinealma
11-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Wow. That was awesome! I really enjoyed it, especially the score. Kudos to the cast & crew for doing a great job. :)

Thanks for watching! And thanks for your kind review. Appreciate it!

PaPa
11-16-2009, 07:47 AM
haha, that was great! i really felt like i was watching an old horror flick!

A couple things i think could have really helped this film shine, would have been using a much older car and then getting a better quality sound, or proximity to microphone and then in post thinning it out to give it more of that twangy sound.

Thanks for sharing!

zeke
11-16-2009, 09:56 AM
this is my favorite one so far. My one and only problem was one of continuity. It was daylight when she got the ride, but clearly nightime the next scene. An establishing shot of the car driving away would have helped bridge the gap. Nothing major, just a thought.
Great job.
For all those talking about sound, yes your are right, but you could say that about most B Horror flicks back in the day. So it was faithful in it's homage, right down to the bad sound, hehehe.

Stryfe
11-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't know what was going on but apparently monsters are being hunted with kids toys and UFO's sometimes randomly appear and...yeah.

The movie definitely knows how to get the viewers attention. A naked guy running around in the woods.

The dialogue was clever. Actually the best part of the movie.

The Black and White worked well. The entire movie was well shot. DVX is a great camera.

The make-up was very well done. The were-wolf would've worked a lot better if the rest of his body had been done too. That kept distracting me throughout that entire scene. That is until the rubber duck randomly appeared and...yeah.

The ending was predictable and I wish there would've been another way to tell the viewers that the protagonists goal was to hunt all the different monsters, rather than her talking to herself. Maybe a checklist that shows where she's marked off everything but mummy and vampire.

The score was very congruent to the film and sounded professional as well. The only problem was when she was capturing the zombies the music drowned out her voice.

The actors did a great job. The laughter felt forced when they reacted to the bus story but maybe that was the direction you were going for. Over the top acting.

I haven't seen any of the other finalists yet so I'm not sure what Monsters Beware is up against but I'm sure this film won't have much competition.

Yoji san
11-16-2009, 02:53 PM
I wanted to rate this film but could not find where
If someone can help me find the right direction
Best

Jason Ramsey
11-16-2009, 02:56 PM
if you are logged in (using your dvxuser credentials) to dvxfest.com/monsterfest you should see stars next to all the films for you to rate them all.

If you do not, you should send a pm to Larry R and let him know that the voting is not working for you and he will get you taken care of.

Later,
Jason

topcat
11-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Just watched the production and REALLY enjoyed it. I thought the script was well thought out and the story line flowed smoothly. The editing, music, and effects were all very good. GREAT JOB!

Chris_Keaton
11-16-2009, 04:01 PM
How are you getting so many comments!?:shocked: I hope all these folks stop by and comment on the other shorts in the fest. The more the merrier.:thumbsup:

killacam
11-16-2009, 06:02 PM
hey I watched it again and just wanted to add that I think another thing that could have added a lot (besides what someone mentioned about having a more period accurate car although the pt cruiser is pretty 50ish looking), would have been to have some rear projection during the driving scenes. I know it would have been more work but you seemed to at least be able not to shy away from other effects work in this film. maybe just covering the windows with a green material and then keying it out later? I think it would have added that much more to evoking the genre (think of those hitchcock driving scenes in psycho etc). anyway fun film- maybe you could key out that guy's balls too- hi-yoo jk.

Aaron Marshall
11-16-2009, 06:45 PM
I just wanted to say great job guys. This had that old Twilight Zone vibe to it. I was really digging this one.

Kellar42
11-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Good stuff, I thought the old horror flick look worked very well.

cinealma
11-17-2009, 10:47 AM
haha, that was great! i really felt like i was watching an old horror flick!

A couple things i think could have really helped this film shine, would have been using a much older car and then getting a better quality sound, or proximity to microphone and then in post thinning it out to give it more of that twangy sound.

Thanks for sharing!

Damn, I really wish I could have gotten that car. :crybaby:

Definitely need to do some more post sound work. But now I've got all the time in the world to get that done in a post-DVXFest cut. :thumbsup:

Thanks for watching!

this is my favorite one so far. My one and only problem was one of continuity. It was daylight when she got the ride, but clearly nightime the next scene. An establishing shot of the car driving away would have helped bridge the gap. Nothing major, just a thought.
Great job.
For all those talking about sound, yes your are right, but you could say that about most B Horror flicks back in the day. So it was faithful in it's homage, right down to the bad sound, hehehe.

Hey, I like that spin on the sound! I'll have to use that, now. :grin:

Thanks for watching and glad you really liked it!

I don't know what was going on but apparently monsters are being hunted with kids toys and UFO's sometimes randomly appear and...yeah.

The movie definitely knows how to get the viewers attention. A naked guy running around in the woods.

The dialogue was clever. Actually the best part of the movie.

The Black and White worked well. The entire movie was well shot. DVX is a great camera.

The make-up was very well done. The were-wolf would've worked a lot better if the rest of his body had been done too. That kept distracting me throughout that entire scene. That is until the rubber duck randomly appeared and...yeah.

The ending was predictable and I wish there would've been another way to tell the viewers that the protagonists goal was to hunt all the different monsters, rather than her talking to herself. Maybe a checklist that shows where she's marked off everything but mummy and vampire.

The score was very congruent to the film and sounded professional as well. The only problem was when she was capturing the zombies the music drowned out her voice.

The actors did a great job. The laughter felt forced when they reacted to the bus story but maybe that was the direction you were going for. Over the top acting.

I haven't seen any of the other finalists yet so I'm not sure what Monsters Beware is up against but I'm sure this film won't have much competition.

Thanks for the nice review. Much appreciated. You have some great points there and most of the challenges with the film came down to the crazy schedule I put together for this project. But I'm hoping to iron out some of the wrinkles in the post-fest cut.

Thanks again for watching!

Just watched the production and REALLY enjoyed it. I thought the script was well thought out and the story line flowed smoothly. The editing, music, and effects were all very good. GREAT JOB!

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for watching.

hey I watched it again and just wanted to add that I think another thing that could have added a lot (besides what someone mentioned about having a more period accurate car although the pt cruiser is pretty 50ish looking), would have been to have some rear projection during the driving scenes. I know it would have been more work but you seemed to at least be able not to shy away from other effects work in this film. maybe just covering the windows with a green material and then keying it out later? I think it would have added that much more to evoking the genre (think of those hitchcock driving scenes in psycho etc). anyway fun film- maybe you could key out that guy's balls too- hi-yoo jk.

Green screen was an option, but I didn't go that route because I wasn't sure I was going to have the time in post to complete it. Rear projection would have DEFINITELY been the way to go. But it's not something I could have pulled off given the schedule. I'm working on adding in passing headlights and some trailing cars. So far so good, so there's hope!

Thanks for watching!

I just wanted to say great job guys. This had that old Twilight Zone vibe to it. I was really digging this one.

Thanks, Aaron. Glad you liked it!

Good stuff, I thought the old horror flick look worked very well.

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for watching!

DC
11-17-2009, 04:34 PM
I love this throwback stuff! Bravo, guys! :thumbsup:

(Where did her hat go though?)

Ian-T
11-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I noticed the missing hat too. I had to rewind to make sure.

Good job on this. I like the black and white. At first I thought it was taking place in the 50's or so (from the first vehicle shot). The visuals and sound were good. I'm still not sure how they were caught with baby toys (maybe it mesmerized them???) One thing though....it didn't look like the car was moving during the driving scenes. Maybe next time have someone shake the car a little while the dialogue is going on.

Charli
11-17-2009, 05:53 PM
The only thing I can say about the 'hat' is uh, have you ever seen "Star Trek?"
Might be some time continuum, or maybe she got tired of wearing it, or.. (cough,
cough) -- uh, she needed to scratch her head, it was itching (cough)....

Charli
11-17-2009, 07:10 PM
To answer some of your guys pm's to me as John has me forward it here:

The camera used in this production was a Panasonic DVX100A.

Sorry 'bout not having behind-the-scenes shots, this production had one day to
translate into film and due to time constraints, it wasn't possible to take a lot of
stills.

This short film was shot in B&W to pay homage to the old time classics.

The driver was not a "zombie" but a type of "Frankenstein" - a work in progress
but more of a modern take on it.

The future feature film of "Monsters Beware" will include more classical monsters
as many have asked, like Vampires and Mummies. The short was only a small
snippet of an even bigger picture.

Thanks for the questions and keep them coming.

dsto
11-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Nice work. Great Make-up. The old school effects were perfecr for this tribute to old school flicks. Liked it very much

cinealma
11-18-2009, 10:09 AM
I love this throwback stuff! Bravo, guys! :thumbsup:

(Where did her hat go though?)

Glad you enjoyed it!

Yes, the hat. I know, I know. :cry::zombie_smiley::grin:

Yeah, I noticed the missing hat too. I had to rewind to make sure.

Good job on this. I like the black and white. At first I thought it was taking place in the 50's or so (from the first vehicle shot). The visuals and sound were good. I'm still not sure how they were caught with baby toys (maybe it mesmerized them???) One thing though....it didn't look like the car was moving during the driving scenes. Maybe next time have someone shake the car a little while the dialogue is going on.

I tried the car shake thing and the effect really doesn't work out that well. And I attribute that to, well, the movies. Most car shots have the camera mounted to the car. So the "bumps" are seen not with the car, but with the road/background out the windows.

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for watching! Glad you liked it.

Nice work. Great Make-up. The old school effects were perfecr for this tribute to old school flicks. Liked it very much

Thanks for watching!

cinealma
11-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Might be some time continuum, or maybe she got tired of wearing it, or.. (cough,

The damned hat. Well, now you know why they have script supervisors. :cheesy:

There's actually a TON of continuity errors, but I didn't just say that, did I? Hey, Ed Wood would be proud.

To answer some of your guys pm's to me as John has me forward it here:

The camera used in this production was a Panasonic DVX100A.

Sorry 'bout not having behind-the-scenes shots, this production had one day to
translate into film and due to time constraints, it wasn't possible to take a lot of
stills.

This short film was shot in B&W to pay homage to the old time classics.

The driver was not a "zombie" but a type of "Frankenstein" - a work in progress
but more of a modern take on it.

The future feature film of "Monsters Beware" will include more classical monsters
as many have asked, like Vampires and Mummies. The short was only a small
snippet of an even bigger picture.

Thanks for the questions and keep them coming.

Just to add a little to Charli's post...

I always MEAN to shoot stills and I ALWAYS forget. I'm making a mental note to just have somebody come out for the specific purpose of set photography.

I love to shoot black and white. And the project definitely fit the mold. This film was originally conceived as a more modern film and in color. But once the werewolf entered the picture in a script revision, the film took quite a turn, and for the better I think.

I hope to make this into a feature length joint and really go crazy with the whole thing and expand on the genre in some interesting and over-the-top ways. I have some ideas, so we'll see where they take me and the future of this project.

Anyway, again, thank you all for taking the time to watch Monsters Beware! I hope you all enjoyed it as much as we did making it. :beer:

Ian-T
11-18-2009, 10:28 AM
LOL...ok...I'll buy all of that.

Gord.T
11-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I once heard a friend crack a line about 25 years ago and never forgot it. It was a stupid one liner, said in the moment, but it was stupidiously funny...

"I used to be a werewolf, but I'm not nowooooooooh."

The latter oooooh part vocalized with a howling voice. A stupid thing for him to say in the moment. But here I am, 25 years later, still shaking my head at it.

Good luck John and Charlie in the finals. One of my top picks. :thumbup:

Slimothy
11-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Nice job guys. You always bring it with the original stuff. Can't wait to see the next one.