PDA

View Full Version : Prey - A Film by JTyner & EditPhish

EditPhish
10-04-2009, 06:01 PM
http://www.dangrabbit.com/video/prey/prey_poster_flatten.jpg

Synopsis: A young man awakens to find that a camping trip has taken a horrifying turn.

Directed by: Tony Medina (JTyner)
Starring: JD Taggart & Sakura Yumi
Executive Producers: James & Denise Idone
Monster Makeup: Amy Medina (EditPhish)
Editors: Tony and Amy Medina
Score & Sound by: BeatnikHead Studios

Additional Cast:
Emily Behringer
Dani Monti
Joe Sander
Marie Travis

Filmed: October 3rd, 2009

More details to follow...

EditPhish
10-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Some behind-the-scenes photography:

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/settingup.jpg

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/bloodylead.jpg

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/outofbreath.jpg

Photos by some of the cast...

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/dani.jpg http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/jdjoe.jpg http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/sak.jpg

Stage Blood

The actors all HATED it... and I don't blame them! It was messy and sticky and they were all very uncomfortable... especially the female lead who was the bloodiest for the longest period of time. When we wrapped everyone couldn't wait to get to the showers. Oh, and they're all planning their revenge now... they want to cover Tony (the director) in stage blood and make him roll around in the grass! LOL

Coming soon: More behind-the-scenes information and photography...

EditPhish
10-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Production Timeline:

Idea/Story Outline complete: September 3rd
Storyboard complete: September 18th
Props ordered: September 21st
Movie casting: September 3rd
Movie recasting: October 2nd

Filmed: October 3rd
We had scheduled this date back on September 3rd... however, the night before, on the 2nd, Weather.com was calling for all kinds or rain and thunder storms. We were very stressed about it, as it seemed we couldn't get everyone together on any other day and even started to consider a rewrite. LUCKILY, mother-nature cooperated (for the most part) and we ended up with an overcast day, but only a little rain that was easy enough to work around.

Dumped all footage to computer: October 4th
Editing begins: October 5th - Final cut done October 10th
Sound begins: October 11th - Complete October 15th
Scoring begins: October 16th - Final soundtrack done October 26th
AE Work begins: October 17th - Complete October 26th
Color Correction begins: October 18th - Done October 28th
Compression tests begin October 27th...

Done and uploaded October 28th!

Rodney V. Smith
10-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Welcome to the fest

EditPhish
10-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks Rodney!

TMerry
10-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Hey Welcome! have the Exact sony DVD player and used it extensively on my last SD film. Its a life saver, plus the batteries last a long time and you can watch DVD's on it at the end of the day, also the way it flips around and lays flat makes it easy to hold :-)

Anyway, welcome to the contest and best of luck!

PS, great poster.
-T

EditPhish
10-05-2009, 08:24 AM
T,

That Sony DVD player is great... it was very easy to move around all day, and you're right, the batteries last a a long time. The only complaint I have about it is the reflective surface of the monitor itself... it's really hard to avoid glare.

Our goal for this fest is to take it to the next level, and so far, after reviewing the footage we got, I think we're on our way to accomplishing that. I should have some screen-grabs soon... we're going to start editing tonight!

Thanks!

ZazaCast
10-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Welcome to the fest! Looks like another good one, nice poster...looking forward to the grabs.

ramsaur
10-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Cool poster and grabs! Welcome to the fest and best of luck!

EditPhish
10-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks Zaza and Ramsaur!

We started editing tonight, and so far things are going well. I didn't get a chance to do any screen grabs, but will have some more time tomorrow so either JTyner or I will post some.

I always enjoy seeing all the outtakes... will be fun to put together a little gag reel for after!

EditPhish
10-06-2009, 10:10 PM
We're a little frustrated with editing today, and that put us behind schedule.
I was also frustrated with After Effects (since I've never used it), but finally got the hang of some of the basics about 2 hours ago. Not sure I'll be up-to-speed in time, but luckily, it may not be necessary.

No screen grabs yet... hopefully we'll have a better day tomorrow.

EditPhish
10-07-2009, 08:44 PM
A little more progress with editing today, though not as much as we hoped... We want to be done with final cut this weekend so we can start sound and color correcting... hopefully we can stay on track...

Of course, JTyner's now got some freelance work (suddenly) so hopefully that doesn't eat too much into our film time! ;)

EditPhish
10-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Editing went much better today... *phew*

Here's some screen grabs for ya... no grading yet of course...

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/behindtrees.jpg

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/legs.jpg

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/tent.jpg

TMerry
10-09-2009, 12:39 PM
We're a little frustrated with editing today, and that put us behind schedule.
I was also frustrated with After Effects (since I've never used it), but finally got the hang of some of the basics about 2 hours ago. Not sure I'll be up-to-speed in time, but luckily, it may not be necessary.

No screen grabs yet... hopefully we'll have a better day tomorrow.

I read this post and thought it was one of my own LOL!!!
Editing has its up and down days and
I've just finished taking a several oafter effects classes and it still gets
confusing at times :-). He are some tips that help, ALWAYS check and rechec to see what layer you are on AND what tool oyu have selected, this alone will save lots of heartache.

Happy VFXing ;-)

EditPhish
10-09-2009, 01:49 PM
LOL TMerry! Thanks for replying... I was getting a bit lonely replying to myself... LOL

We were hoping to finish editing tonight so color correction can start tomorrow, but I'm not sure we'll meet that deadline... though thank god it's friday so we can stay up later!

I've been watching tons of AE videos on YouTube, but I'm hoping we don't need it at all... we'll see. Did you take classes at a local college or somewhere else? I may just have to do the same soon.

Rodney V. Smith
10-09-2009, 02:01 PM
how did i miss the grabs?? looking good. how much shooting did you do at night as opposed to day?

EditPhish
10-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks Rodney!
We didn't do any shooting at night (though we were losing light at the end of the day running a bit behind schedule because of rain). I know one of the photos looks like night, but it was really more at sunset and the actor who took the picture was using a camera with flash and higher shutter speed, so it ended up looking really dark.

I might have more grabs tonight... we'll see :)

EditPhish
10-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Editing went really well tonight and we're close to done... thinking we'll finish tomorrow and that way scoring and sound can start. There's a few shots we wish we had gotten a bit better, but no way to reshoot anything now. At least for the most part it's coming together the way we hoped.

We have conflicting opinions on the last shot as of right now ;)

Still torn about whether we'll try using After Effects or not, not sure we need to...

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Love all the blood! :)
Done any grading yet?

Rodney V. Smith
10-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Focus on the shots you need for FX. Dont try to do too much in there.

EditPhish
10-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Good advice Rodney.

Being I have little-to-no experience with After Effects other than what I've managed to teach myself in a few days, we may end up just skipping it all together. The most I think we'd use it for is some clean-up because of me not paying enough attention to detail on-location. I'm going to review some of those shots tomorrow. I need a local AE artist to come help me out! LOL

EditPhish
10-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Latest update is that we're pretty much done with editing and have moved on to sound. We were hoping to get that done by tomorrow night, but a little trip to pick up family from the airport is going to interfere. Hopefully by mid-week...

TMerry
10-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Latest update is that we're pretty much done with editing and have moved on to sound. We were hoping to get that done by tomorrow night, but a little trip to pick up family from the airport is going to interfere. Hopefully by mid-week...

Family is always interfering!!! LOL!
Leave them at the airport, finish the film :-)

TMerry
10-10-2009, 11:41 PM
LOL TMerry! Thanks for replying... I was getting a bit lonely replying to myself... LOL

We were hoping to finish editing tonight so color correction can start tomorrow, but I'm not sure we'll meet that deadline... though thank god it's friday so we can stay up later!

I've been watching tons of AE videos on YouTube, but I'm hoping we don't need it at all... we'll see. Did you take classes at a local college or somewhere else? I may just have to do the same soon.

BAVC in the bay area. Very cool! Hang in there. I'm trying to do some miracles
in AE for INVOCATION, if it works out, you won't even notice any work has been done :-P

EditPhish
10-11-2009, 10:47 AM

Trust me, we're tempted :P

FBAVC in the bay area. Very cool! Hang in there. I'm trying to do some miracles
in AE for INVOCATION, if it works out, you won't even notice any work has been done :-P

And you KNOW I'll be paying attention now! ;)

EditPhish
10-12-2009, 08:03 PM
We finished editing and started sound... we're about 75% through it now with sound and hope to start scoring and color correction by this weekend. I'm also hoping to conduct some After Effects testing this week or weekend.

EditPhish
10-13-2009, 10:13 PM
We only get a few hours each night during the week to work on the film... still trying to get sound finished up and I think we may succeed tomorrow. We'll definitely be scoring and color correcting by this weekend.

Anyone living on Long Island want to help out with some After Effects work? I want to do it myself, but could use a few pointers and a few hours to pick your brain...

EditPhish
10-20-2009, 11:53 PM
We've moved on now to scoring, AE work and color correction... things are going well, but we don't have as much time as we'd like right now... (I'm sure a lot of you all feel the same!)...

We are also going to get a mac mini hooked up to our big-screen TV and have a halloween-night screening with several of the actors... should be fun!

TMerry
10-21-2009, 09:11 PM
.. things are going well, but we don't have as much time as we'd like right now... (I'm sure a lot of you all feel the same!)...

Hallelujah to that! :violin:

sfoster
10-22-2009, 03:25 PM

I tried this once, it came back to bite me at the worst possible time. I vote you pick them up!

EditPhish
10-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Well, soundtrack is done... all that's left now is fine-tuning the color correction (which is mostly there, just a few tweaks might be needed). We hope to be "converting and compressing" tomorrow so we can leave uploading for Wednesday!

Being that JTyner can't draw a stitch and his story boards were about the funniest thing to see, I may just share some panels tomorrow... LOL...

EditPhish
10-27-2009, 07:45 AM
I guess all that matters it the director knows what they mean... it's completely true, and here's the proof, that JTyner cannot draw to save his live. Funny, cause I'm an artist and CAN draw, but it's just easier for him to do the storyboards himself...

So, introducing the funniest storyboard panels ever...

http://www.dangrabbit.com/video/prey/storyboard001.jpg http://www.dangrabbit.com/video/prey/storyboard002.jpg

http://www.dangrabbit.com/video/prey/storyboard003.jpg http://www.dangrabbit.com/video/prey/storyboard004.jpg

We all had a good laugh over seeing these!

Om Nom Nom
10-27-2009, 06:01 PM
LOL! The storyboard is so awful it doesn't even give anything away.

Charli
10-27-2009, 06:16 PM
There is a reason why we don't go camping any more too many things that bump in the night. Good luck!

EditPhish
10-27-2009, 10:48 PM
LOL!!! Om Nom!

Thanks for the well-wishes Charli... and for the record, I hate camping! LOL

We're working on compression tonight and getting ready to upload tomorrow...

EditPhish
10-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Today: Working on fine-tuning the compression and getting ready for upload tonight...

Also, prepping our playroom for a "watch party"... We've got some of the cast coming over saturday, in costume, for beer and wings and other munchies and MonsterFest. Gotta get the mac mini hooked up to the 50" LCD TV in there... We're psyched!

Om Nom Nom
10-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Today: Working on fine-tuning the compression and getting ready for upload tonight...

Also, prepping our playroom for a "watch party"... We've got some of the cast coming over saturday, in costume, for beer and wings and other munchies and MonsterFest. Gotta get the mac mini hooked up to the 50" LCD TV in there... We're psyched!

Can't wait! :)

EditPhish
10-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Uploaded!

EditPhish
10-28-2009, 08:55 PM
some screen shots from the final uploaded version...

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/Picture_2.png

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/Picture_4.png

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/Picture_3.png

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Nice grabs. We should start a pool to see who has the most blood in their short film. :)

Not a drop in mine.

Om Nom Nom
10-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Nice grabs. We should start a pool to see who has the most blood in their short film. :)

Not a drop in mine.

Your cast should thank you.

EditPhish
10-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Now you shush Om Nom :P

(who is part of our tortured cast)

Thanks Michael. As you can see, our actors hated us for all the blood!

Arturo Sanchez
10-28-2009, 10:45 PM
This is why i dont go to the woods. nice pictures.

JTyner
10-29-2009, 06:00 AM
Cant wait to see all the films!!

PSYCHED!!!

EditPhish
10-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks Arturo!

LOL JTyner - and you have no more to say than THAT Mr. Director?

JTyner
10-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Nope....thats it.....for now!!!

Bruhaha!

EditPhish
10-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Nope....thats it.....for now!!!

Bruhaha!

A man of few words...

Om Nom Nom
10-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Now you shush Om Nom :P

(who is part of our tortured cast)

Thanks Michael. As you can see, our actors hated us for all the blood!

I still have blood stains on my feet. Just saying.

WAH WAH WAH!:violin: (<~~ I just wanted to use that smiley)

EditPhish
10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Someone call the WAHMbulance....

Hey, is washed off easy enough... stop you're complaining. That's why you got paid the big bucks (uhhhhhh......)

JTyner
10-29-2009, 02:10 PM
We used blood?

EditPhish
10-29-2009, 02:11 PM
We used blood?

Better watch out... a lot of the cast will be here Saturday and they may plan their revenge...

JTyner
10-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Not if they want wings they wont! LOL~~

EditPhish
10-29-2009, 02:32 PM
They'll eat the wings first ;)

Om Nom Nom
10-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Someone call the WAHMbulance....

Hey, is washed off easy enough... stop you're complaining. That's why you got paid the big bucks (uhhhhhh......)

Yes. We got paid in Baskin Robins.

EditPhish
10-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Yes. We got paid in Baskin Robins.

And Taco Bell... but our executive producers paid for that ;)

Om Nom Nom
10-29-2009, 07:54 PM
OH YEAH. I forgot about the wrappers sticking to my fingers. And everything else.

EditPhish
10-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Got the 50" TV in the playroom all hooked up to the Mac Mini now! We'll be having our watch-party in style Saturday night.

Anyone else having a watch-party?

Matt Harris
10-30-2009, 10:18 AM
great BTS shots. see, when i see something cool like this i kick myself that i didnt have more blood and stuff. good work, looking forward to seeing this.

EditPhish
10-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks Defcon!

...and I'm laughing at your "more blood and stuff" comment... our actors wouldn't call it so "cool"... they were miserable! LOL

Matt Harris
10-30-2009, 12:12 PM
well the fake blood washes off easy enough though right? i used some last year and it was goopy, but actuall cleaned out of the clothes. but i bought some pro stuff online so...

EditPhish
10-30-2009, 12:17 PM
well the fake blood washes off easy enough though right? i used some last year and it was goopy, but actuall cleaned out of the clothes. but i bought some pro stuff online so...

Yeah, it washes off fine... but some of our actors were soaked in it for long periods of time, so it wasn't exactly comfortable for them. They want revenge... they want to soak the director in it and make him roll around in the dirt. In a thong. LOL!

Sprocketboy
10-30-2009, 12:19 PM

On our shoot we used a fair amount of Ben Nye blood. Much of it ended up on period WWII costumes and still came off. Just use cold water on a paper towel.

Om Nom Nom
10-30-2009, 01:19 PM
The fake blood did watch off really easily - I was really surprised how easy it was to get out of my hair..it was just being in it for so long that sucked, cause it would stick to EVERYTHING, including bugs, foilage, and body hair, LOL. At least it looked really cool!

EditPhish
10-30-2009, 01:21 PM
The fake blood did watch off really easily - I was really surprised how easy it was to get out of my hair..it was just being in it for so long that sucked, cause it would stick to EVERYTHING, including bugs, foilage, and body hair, LOL. At least it looked really cool!

Don't forget the ants. They seemed to really like it. And you guys in it! LOL

Om Nom Nom
10-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Don't forget the ants. They seemed to really like it. And you guys in it! LOL

I was actually spared by the ants! Can't say the same for the rest of the cast, lol

Maybe next time around, we can avoid fake blood AND nature :)

Rodney V. Smith
10-30-2009, 03:28 PM
reminds me of the episode of "Monk" where Mr. Monk says "I've got Nature on my hand! Get it off!"

No avoiding nature. Congrats on the upload you guys. Can't wait to see what you've done.

Om Nom Nom
10-30-2009, 05:09 PM
reminds me of the episode of "Monk" where Mr. Monk says "I've got Nature on my hand! Get it off!"

No avoiding nature. Congrats on the upload you guys. Can't wait to see what you've done.

hahaha, funny you say that, because one of the cast members kept yelling, "I FEEL LIKE I HAVE NATURE ALL OVER MY FACE" lol.. poor girl.

EditPhish
10-30-2009, 06:30 PM
hahaha, funny you say that, because one of the cast members kept yelling, "I FEEL LIKE I HAVE NATURE ALL OVER MY FACE" lol.. poor girl.

She DID have nature all over her face.... and it was stuck there like glue! LOL

Mood Niatrec
10-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Hm. I don't recall any of the guys complaining.

Rodney V. Smith
10-30-2009, 07:37 PM

I think this thread may be rapidly going downhill with the nature all over her face...

So... any other amusing anecdotes?

EditPhish
10-31-2009, 08:22 AM
I think this thread may be rapidly going downhill with the nature all over her face...

So... any other amusing anecdotes?

LOL!
Dead people eating Taco Bell is fun.

Uh, I don't remember the guys being covered with quite as much blood!
However, Joe didn't seem all that happy with having to put the fake blood in his mouth while Emily was eating it and saying YUM! Ha!

hoz
10-31-2009, 09:04 AM
really like your poster! looking forward to seeing your flick. cool tag line too!

EditPhish
10-31-2009, 04:00 PM
really like your poster! looking forward to seeing your flick. cool tag line too!

Thanks!!!

Shaun Patrick
11-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Enjoyed it--short and sweet. Good use of a jib and for the most part the compositions were very nice.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Music was nice but I think some additional sound effects would make everything overall a little more tense. The end pursuit, while visually tense, kind of falls flat on the audio end.

2) The turn/transformation of the character happens very quickly. Would've been nice to have one more scene in that the audience sees the transformation or at least the character struggling with the inner monster.

3) Like I said, the camera work was nice--with one exception. At 2:38, the main characters head is cut off by the top of the frame as he surveys the campsite. That would've been a great time for a CU reaction from the character. It would've been just nice to see his face.

Great work overall. Can't wait to see more work from you two.

MrFluffy
11-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Nice production. You obviously spent a lot of time on this.

There were a few points where there was a static camera but it jittered, so a tripod would have been good at that point. I also felt that the blood was rather unconvincing.

The werewolf transformation was probably weakest part as it didnt look convincing.

Still it was enjoyable and a great effort.

Well done.

EditPhish
11-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Enjoyed it--short and sweet. Good use of a jib and for the most part the compositions were very nice.

Thanks Shaun!

A couple of thoughts:

1) Music was nice but I think some additional sound effects would make everything overall a little more tense. The end pursuit, while visually tense, kind of falls flat on the audio end.

It's interesting because we had a few discussions about balancing the soundtrack with the sound FX, so I totally appreciate your comment here. The entire film was shot silent without even reference sound, so we did everything in post... we've already said to each other than next time around we have to focus more on getting at least reference sound on location.

2) The turn/transformation of the character happens very quickly. Would've been nice to have one more scene in that the audience sees the transformation or at least the character struggling with the inner monster.

I don't disagree at all! All I can do is make excuses for that one (legit or not)... We were running out of time. We had one day at our location and shot the transformation at the end of the day and were running out of light. It had rained off and on all day too, and we lost time there. We were definitely rushing when shooting nearly all the monster stuff... unfortunately. I agree with what you're saying completely. When we were editing we kept looking for more footage of the monster that we just didn't get.

3) Like I said, the camera work was nice--with one exception. At 2:38, the main characters head is cut off by the top of the frame as he surveys the campsite. That would've been a great time for a CU reaction from the character. It would've been just nice to see his face.

Noted :)

Great work overall. Can't wait to see more work from you two.

Thanks for the comments and great feedback!

Nice production. You obviously spent a lot of time on this.

Thanks!

There were a few points where there was a static camera but it jittered, so a tripod would have been good at that point. I also felt that the blood was rather unconvincing.

Goes along with what I was saying to Shaun... we can tell where we were rushing vs. taking our time, and as the day faded we simply were rushing and didn't want to take time to use the tripod. Some was obviously intentionally handheld, but too much of it was.

I'd love to hear more about why you thought the blood was unconvincing...

The werewolf transformation was probably weakest part as it didnt look convincing.
Still it was enjoyable and a great effort.
Well done.

Well, at least you knew he was transforming, so that's a step in the right direction ;)

Thanks for your comments!

MrFluffy
11-01-2009, 12:53 PM
I'd love to hear more about why you thought the blood was unconvincing...

The thing that struck me about the blood is that non of it appeared to be dry, even though it had been some time since the attack. It also looked the wrong color on his hands, blood dries pretty dark and his hands looked too red.

Now you going to tell me it was all pigs blood so it should have looked very real :)

JTyner
11-01-2009, 01:05 PM
The thing that struck me about the blood is that non of it appeared to be dry, even though it had been some time since the attack. It also looked the wrong color on his hands, blood dries pretty dark and his hands looked too red.

Now you going to tell me it was all pigs blood so it should have looked very real :)

MrFluffy,

Nope. Wont try to convince you its pigs blood at all......Just the store bought kind. :)

Thanks for giving us more feedback. We never worked with blood before so it is definately a piece of criticism we can use for future movies (if we ever work with blood again) . Thanks.....these are the kind of things that we can use to get better the next time.

lordambrai
11-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Nice camerawork overall! I'll second the sound fx comment. But rather than more sound fx, I think there needed to be a larger distinction in volume to the ones you had which may have made the whole film just pop more... if that makes any sense. When the sound is mixed that close to the music, it's not very jarring. But, regardless, I ain't no master mixer guy thing. Just something to consider. Still good job!

Pocusproductions
11-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Pretty good! I love the DVX, so it was great to see it used here. I thought the makeup effects on the werewolf head looked great, almost like Thriller!

I agree with others, the blood definately looked store-bought. Next time, try to make your own (there are some great recipes online). I would have also enjoyed a bit more storyline... maybe of the night before, to get to know the characters a little etc. It would have made a bit more of an impact when the action happened in the end.

Loved the jib shots! I always want one when i see them. Good job!

EditPhish
11-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Nice camerawork overall! I'll second the sound fx comment. But rather than more sound fx, I think there needed to be a larger distinction in volume to the ones you had which may have made the whole film just pop more... if that makes any sense. When the sound is mixed that close to the music, it's not very jarring. But, regardless, I ain't no master mixer guy thing. Just something to consider. Still good job!

Thanks... and whether you yourself are a master mixer or not, the feedback is still appreciated! We're always looking to grow and learn and I think we sort of knew we needed to mix the sound a bit better... so we'll definitely give it some extra attention next time.

Pretty good! I love the DVX, so it was great to see it used here. I thought the makeup effects on the werewolf head looked great, almost like Thriller!

I have to say, I really personally appreciate this comment since I was responsible for the monster makeup. We've never worked with a prosthetic before, nor had I ever painted one before, so it was a totally new experience. We all thought it looked pretty good especially for a first try, but of course we're too close to the project to be objective, so I'm glad to hear you liked it!

I agree with others, the blood definately looked store-bought. Next time, try to make your own (there are some great recipes online). I would have also enjoyed a bit more storyline... maybe of the night before, to get to know the characters a little etc. It would have made a bit more of an impact when the action happened in the end.

We considered making our own... I guess we were torn whether stage blood would look better than trying to make it ourselves for the first time... and we were almost changed the script because of weather at the last minute, so we decided on store-bought. Agree, it was too red in spots.

I also can't disagree about the story... we ever talked about that ourselves afterwards... that it might have been cool to have some footage of the actual camping trip before all went awry. Of course, knowing our time schedule now we wouldn't have had time at our location... but it's something we should think about in the future when story telling, so I appreciate your input on it!

Loved the jib shots! I always want one when i see them. Good job!

Oh, JTyner could tell you a whole store about the jib... so I'll let him if he wants ;)

Thanks for your great feedback!

Blaine
11-01-2009, 08:08 PM
It's been awhile since I've seen anything from you guys. I enjoyed this one.

My absolute favorite shot was the blood dripping off the tent. The blood on the dead bodies looked quite fresh and I didn't particularly care for the way the blood looked on the lead actor's face...it looked rubbed on.

I didn't really have a problem with the werewolf transformation. It was nice to see you didn't use a corny wolf head. Too bad you ran out of time at the end and weren't able to make a more seamless transition to werewolf.

When I saw the kid wake up I knew right away that he was the monster that had attacked Claire. After I finished watching the whole movie, I had to go back to the 1:08 point and look at it again. I was surprised to find that I really hadn't seen the hooded jacket as much as I thought I had, so I'm not sure how come it was such an instant recognition when the kid woke up. Perhaps the fact that he was the only one alive may have played into to it, too. No biggy.

I enjoyed it, thanks for sharing.

EditPhish
11-01-2009, 10:42 PM
It's been awhile since I've seen anything from you guys. I enjoyed this one.

Hey! Thanks for remembering us... it has been a while, and our goal was to improve since the last time, so I hope we accomplished that :)

My absolute favorite shot was the blood dripping off the tent. The blood on the dead bodies looked quite fresh and I didn't particularly care for the way the blood looked on the lead actor's face...it looked rubbed on.

Oh the blood... was our first time working with it, so yeah, any issues that came up for some of your reviewers isn't unexpected... we'll keep notes for next time around. We almost didn't do the tent cutaway shots, so I'm glad we did! We were battling rain that day too and it made the blood more watery than it should have been, but glad you liked those shots.

I didn't really have a problem with the werewolf transformation. It was nice to see you didn't use a corny wolf head. Too bad you ran out of time at the end and weren't able to make a more seamless transition to werewolf.

Thanks! I actually put a lot of work into it (painted the prosthetic myself) and it was our first time with any kind of "advanced" makeup, so I'm glad you liked it. I really do see where we faltered though and some of that is attributable to time, while some was just inexperience. Appreciate your thoughts!

When I saw the kid wake up I knew right away that he was the monster that had attacked Claire. After I finished watching the whole movie, I had to go back to the 1:08 point and look at it again. I was surprised to find that I really hadn't seen the hooded jacket as much as I thought I had, so I'm not sure how come it was such an instant recognition when the kid woke up. Perhaps the fact that he was the only one alive may have played into to it, too. No biggy.

We figured some would guess and hoped most would not ;) -- We did some test screenings with people we knew didn't have any idea of the story, and most of the time they were surprised... but I'm like you, I tend to guess things like that, so we expected some here would. We did try to "cover our tracks" in filming and editing, so it's good you say when you went back nothing was glaringly obvious despite your knowing.

I enjoyed it, thanks for sharing.

Thank YOU for the great feedback!

TMerry
11-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Nice Nice Nice!
Soundtrack was a perfect fit, loved the rain type of piano melody that was the underpinning the tent dripping blood. Great composition. Super job on the monster transformation goes to your effects makeup artist. Can find anything to pick on. Good pacing.
You guys did a great job!!

Looking forward to your next production :-)

EditPhish
11-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Nice Nice Nice!
Soundtrack was a perfect fit, loved the rain type of piano melody that was the underpinning the tent dripping blood. Great composition. Super job on the monster transformation goes to your effects makeup artist. Can find anything to pick on. Good pacing.
You guys did a great job!!

Looking forward to your next production :-)

Ha! I'm sitting here hitting reading other reviews and hitting refresh HOPING you'll reply... I really wanted to hear your feedback :)

THANKS so much! I'm really glad you liked it... and MUCHO thanks about the makeup artist comment (since it was me - LOL).

Objectively though, I know there IS stuff to pick on, but I'm glad nothing was too obvious to you on your viewing of it. I really appreciate your kind words T!

Looking forward to your film on black friday :)

Edgen
11-02-2009, 11:37 AM
I loved the fact you had a true transformation of your monster in this film. I would have liked to see the film start with him waking up.. I never really got the flashback feel?

But, cool creature and effects. Simple and effective.

me and my cheap bones rattling, i couldn't imagine what you were feeling when you had to rip up all those nice tents! ahhhh.. the love and dedication of filmmaking.

thanks for sharing!
/j

Geoff_R
11-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Cool concept. Really thought you guys did a great job on the makeup/effects of the monster. I got the hook of the story pretty early on but that didn't distract me too much. Good tension with the editing. I echo some of the thoughts on the sound design/mix... could have been a little more extreme at some times... and then also the blood looking too fresh. I wonder if you CC'd this project differently, a little more extreme, or even as far as going black and white, would it make the blood look more real? Just a thought. Thanks for sharing.

EditPhish
11-02-2009, 11:58 AM
I loved the fact you had a true transformation of your monster in this film. I would have liked to see the film start with him waking up.. I never really got the flashback feel?

But, cool creature and effects. Simple and effective.

me and my cheap bones rattling, i couldn't imagine what you were feeling when you had to rip up all those nice tents! ahhhh.. the love and dedication of filmmaking.

thanks for sharing!
/j

Thanks J...
There were parts we definitely struggled with. Find the right spots for the flashbacks and the look of them was one area we thought a lot about. I leave it up to the viewers to decide if we got it right or not... for you, not so much obviously! :)

Thanks for the comments on our monster.

And yes, the whole tent thing seemed bizarre ... we bought them just to destroy them (we are NOT the camping type, LOL). Thank god for sales at Walmart!

Cool concept. Really thought you guys did a great job on the makeup/effects of the monster. I got the hook of the story pretty early on but that didn't distract me too much. Good tension with the editing. I echo some of the thoughts on the sound design/mix... could have been a little more extreme at some times... and then also the blood looking too fresh. I wonder if you CC'd this project differently, a little more extreme, or even as far as going black and white, would it make the blood look more real? Just a thought. Thanks for sharing.

Geoff... also thanks about the monster... was our first time doing such things, so it's nice to hear from others that we pulled it off okay.

We'll definitely be working on the sound mix stuff in the future... JTyner and I have already been discussing where we think we went wrong (from a software-how-we-use-it standpoint). We start with Final Cut Express for all the sound FX/Foley stuff... the soundtrack is done in Logic, and then the finished music goes back to FCE where we mix... not sure if that's the best way. We also understand that FCP actually had more faders and mixing control, so it might be worth the upgrade for us. NONE of that is an excuse...we could still have adjusted in FCE and thought we had the levels all pretty good... but obviously it's been an issue for some... so we're going to keep working at it. The sound was a lot of work since we shot silent and did all the sound in post, so maybe some of it was just that we lost perspective along the way.

As for color correction - well this is where we have the LEAST experience, and not the best environment. I'd love to sit with some of you and learn more about it, or take a class or something. I really struggled with the color correction and find the right "look" and then keeping it consistent. Some of that has to do with our lighting (or lack of) as well, and we've talked about that too.

Trust me, I know we have a lot to learn!

Thanks so much for your great feedback! It's all helpful!

hoz
11-02-2009, 04:13 PM
i liked it! you didnt use enough blood. should've been dripping all over the ten--- oh you did ! i did like that look. the story is simple and it works. and i liked that you showed the monster becoming a monster. not easy i am sure. good work! the sound was good too.

nice job!

hoz
11-02-2009, 04:16 PM
... or even as far as going black and white, would it make the blood look more real? Just a thought. Thanks for sharing.

what if the story remained at night like soon after the original attacks took place? it would be far creepier.

Om Nom Nom
11-02-2009, 05:12 PM
As a cast member, I also wanted to thank everyone for the feedback! It's real exciting to read other's reactions to it. I can't wait to work with EditPhish and JTyner again for the next fest! (with more preparation and shoot time!)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Nice opening shot. This was quite enjoyable. If you could have shot this at night or darkened it up a bit I think it would have been much scarier. Very nice music as well. Pacing was great there.

Nice wide reveal of all the bodies but his puke looked like he was coughing up alphagetties. :)
The monster was great, BTW.

The night shots were definitely the best. Nice work.

MAH

EditPhish
11-02-2009, 08:20 PM
i liked it! you didnt use enough blood. should've been dripping all over the ten--- oh you did ! i did like that look. the story is simple and it works. and i liked that you showed the monster becoming a monster. not easy i am sure. good work! the sound was good too.

nice job!

Thanks Hoz...
and I can't at all dismiss the idea of placing the whole story in a darker setting. I showed some coworkers today and one said the same thing, that he would have liked it more had it been set at night. I'm not sure we could have successfully pulled it off (at least this time), but it's certainly a valid suggestion.

Nice opening shot. This was quite enjoyable. If you could have shot this at night or darkened it up a bit I think it would have been much scarier. Very nice music as well. Pacing was great there.

See above about night :)
Thanks for your other comments. We really worked on pacing this time around since we didn't do as well with it in our last entry (many fests ago). Glad you liked the music... JTyner really did a good job on it (I thought, but I'm biased, haha), so it's nice to hear you liked it.

Nice wide reveal of all the bodies but his puke looked like he was coughing up alphagetties.

LOL! Cambells Savory Vegetable actually.

The monster was great, BTW.

Thanks for this too... was my first time doing advanced makeup like this (I know I'm repeating myself, but not sure if you read previous replies), so it's an especially nice compliment for me personally.

The night shots were definitely the best. Nice work.

Well... I'll say thanks, but then you're complimenting the color correction, not the shooting, because we shot nothing at night -- I'm glad those shots were convincing! :)

Thanks so much for the great feedback Hoz and Michael!

Sprocketboy
11-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I like the gradual transformation of the werewolf through the use of cross cutting to another action. Very nice. It would be creepier if the transformation occurred as it became darker (magic hour) outside, just before he attacks the girl. The blood looked smeared onto the wolfman's face. You can see finger prints. Our makeup person used a straw and a toothbrush to flick blood drench bristles onto the face of the actor to get the splatter effect. It works. Cool film. Thanks.

lyonfilms
11-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Great makeup effects and the transitions between the stages of his "becoming". Good stuff. Some of my favorite shots, at least for the "scare factor" were the dude's flashbacks. Especially the girl crouched in the corner of the tent and then the monster grabs her from behind and outside the tent making it sort of envelope her - cool! Good sound effects for the broken smashed leg as well as the monster's breathing.

I thought the blood was graded way too RED. I think blood on film should look much darker and less technicolor. Personal preference, but really red blood just looks off to me for some reason. It wasn't bad on the tent, especially the drippy bits, but the spatters on the actors was too red. Okay - enough about the red blood LOL.

I enjoyed the movie and it kept my attention throughout as I wondered how you were going to tie the girl and the tackle back in at the end. Monster wins! They always do...they always do.

EditPhish
11-03-2009, 06:42 AM
I like the gradual transformation of the werewolf through the use of cross cutting to another action. Very nice. It would be creepier if the transformation occurred as it became darker (magic hour) outside, just before he attacks the girl. The blood looked smeared onto the wolfman's face. You can see finger prints. Our makeup person used a straw and a toothbrush to flick blood drench bristles onto the face of the actor to get the splatter effect. It works. Cool film. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback Sprocketboy! I like your thoughts on magic hour, and had we had more experience with lighting, and better access to electricity at our location, it might have been something we tried (and the timing was right as we were starting to lose light when filming those scenes anyway). For the next fest we are definitely going to work on our lighting skills :)

The straw is a great idea. I did a lot of the blood smearing and man that stuff is sticky... I tried to avoid too much finger painting, but it was tough... and of course the actors being in it so long it was hard for them not to touch it themselves over time. I kinda doubt my actors will be willing to do all this blood in our next movie (they hated us for it), but I'll keep your thoughts in mind for the distant future - LOL

Great makeup effects and the transitions between the stages of his "becoming". Good stuff. Some of my favorite shots, at least for the "scare factor" were the dude's flashbacks. Especially the girl crouched in the corner of the tent and then the monster grabs her from behind and outside the tent making it sort of envelope her - cool! Good sound effects for the broken smashed leg as well as the monster's breathing.

Thanks Lyon! Glad to hear you (and others) liked the transition since it was certainly one of our challenges. If I'm self-critical, I would have liked more blood in some of the flashbacks, just because that was the type of film it was. Thanks for the comments on the sound too!

I thought the blood was graded way too RED. I think blood on film should look much darker and less technicolor. Personal preference, but really red blood just looks off to me for some reason. It wasn't bad on the tent, especially the drippy bits, but the spatters on the actors was too red. Okay - enough about the red blood LOL.

Totally hear ya. You should see the original footage (you can see some in the original screen caps). Grading was a challenge for me since it where we have the least experience. Do you live in NY and want to come over and give me some tips? :)

Seriously, we agree with you (and everyone else) who thinks the blood was a bit too red, especially when it appears on skin. We learned a lot by working with this much blood first time out. We should have darkened it on-set and I should have focused a bit more on it in the grading process.

I enjoyed the movie and it kept my attention throughout as I wondered how you were going to tie the girl and the tackle back in at the end. Monster wins! They always do...they always do.

Thanks again for the great feedback! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-03-2009, 07:17 AM
Responded below in red...

LOL! Cambells Savory Vegetable actually.

Close enough. Less chunky next time. :)

Well... I'll say thanks, but then you're complimenting the color correction, not the shooting, because we shot nothing at night -- I'm glad those shots were convincing! :)

I would have went with more of it then. Maybe a bit like dusk in some scenes if you wanted to change it up. It looked great!

EditPhish
11-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Close enough. Less chunky next time

LOL! Will do (where's the vomiting smilie?)

I would have went with more of it then. Maybe a bit like dusk in some scenes if you wanted to change it up. It looked great!

More color correction practice needed ;) - and thanks again!

EditPhish
11-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Just thought I'd post some fun behind-the-scenes photos... we had a lot of fun (other than the complaining about blood) on set...

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/tsktsk.jpg

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/bloodymess.jpg

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/happy_couple.jpg

EditPhish
11-05-2009, 09:43 AM
One more:

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/stalked.jpg

Charli
11-06-2009, 05:30 PM
It took 30 seconds photographing the woods before you introduced the story, for short film that's a bit too long.

Once you got to the story it was a generic camp-out gone wrong. The good things that I did like were the black and white flashbacks, but the excess of blood was a bit much and for those of us who have watched one too many episodes of CSI note of the blood splatter was all wrong - lol.

The dripping of the blood on the tent along with the cinematic opening is just pure filmography - I would rather hear and see a story.

The transformation was good, better than good actually. But did you know there was only ONE WORD of dialogue spoken in the entire show? While you can have a show without verbal communication, we are world wired for sound not just sight, add more meat to your story by adding interactive dialogue.

Good job on the monster, next time, less blood.

EditPhish
11-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback Charli... it's the only way we can improve.

Glad you liked the monster and transformation :)

ramsaur
11-06-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm not sure about this one. I was expecting more of a story and hopefully some dialogue. Your blood looked too red and not the darker blood type red. The makeup on the werwolf was great though and it's teeth! Good makeup fx on the girl's leg with the bone coming out and good sound mix too.

ZazaCast
11-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Another good one! Looked good and the sound design was well done too. I really liked the quick shots of terror.

Yes the opening was too long and some of the shots didn't really look great composistion-wise, a little dialog would have been nice (flashback or something from the night before), but overall a very successful film.

Thanks for sharing & congrats to the entire crew on a job well done.

JTyner
11-08-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm not sure about this one. I was expecting more of a story and hopefully some dialogue. Your blood looked too red and not the darker blood type red. The makeup on the werwolf was great though and it's teeth! Good makeup fx on the girl's leg with the bone coming out and good sound mix too.

Ramsaur,

Thanks for taking the time to watch & critique!

After finishing the edit, we had discussed the possibility of having shot an extra scene for the short...possibly a campfire type scene at the begining. Unforunately we didnt have enuff time for more shooting so we were hoping that the story we created was enuff. It seems that for some it was....for others it wasnt. One thing we will take away from this experience for the next festival is to look a little bit more at story. Im sure an extra scene couldnt have hurt and probably would help even for viewers who werent left either wanting more or unfulfilled by the story.

The other thing we definately learned was to look more at the color of blood! LOL!!!

Im glad you enjoyed the makeup & soundtrack.

Again....thanks for your time!

JTyner
11-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Another good one! Looked good and the sound design was well done too. I really liked the quick shots of terror.

Yes the opening was too long and some of the shots didn't really look great composistion-wise, a little dialog would have been nice (flashback or something from the night before), but overall a very successful film.

Thanks for sharing & congrats to the entire crew on a job well done.

Zaza,

We appreciate everything that is shared to us and we look at it ALL as a way of getting better in the art of moviemaking!

Thank you for taking the time to watch and to gice us your thoughts....they are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Marlon Ladd
11-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Good job on this film. It really surprised me. There were alot of really good things in here. The opening may have been a scene or two too long, but it didn't bother me. The gore and makeup was excellent. I liked the opening shot with the girl trying to get away and then gets caught. I think if you speed the grab shot up 15-20% and cut it to black a frame or two sooner and add a louder monster sound there it'll have a bit more impact. It was good, but I think if you do those things it'll make people jump out of their seats. Yes, there was alot of blood, but I think I know what you were intending and I was good with that. The transformation makeup was excellent. I can tell you guys put alot of work into this. This was another one that I enjoyed. Nice job!

John LaBonney
11-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Hey, I really liked this!

Storywise I thought it was a tad predicable. I got the concept right away and was looking for (or hoping for) a twist that would have taken the story in an unexpected direction. But even without it I enjoyed the film very much.

Enough has been said about the blood already, but like Blaine my favorite shot was the blood on the tent. Overall, considering how much of it there was in the movie, I think the blood was just fine.

Thought the editing and the visual telling of the story was exceptionally well done. This film in my opinion showed usage of flashbacks that actually worked well--a rarity in short film.

I thought the nature sounds in the campsite shots were a touch too loud and detracted a little from the soundtrack at that point, but that's a total nitpick.

Great work!

NOBELO
11-09-2009, 04:48 PM
I know a few people mentioned the beginning taking too long. I don't know, maybe just a hair, but maybe not at all. I personally wasn't ready to "click off" like I think I would be if this were the case. I actually liked the gradual build up and the ensuing chase.

Liked the feel of the piece, music and sound design was good. Can you tell me more about the makeup you did. I saw some great BTS pics. How long did it take? Did you do it yourself, etc. You may have said this but I haven't gone through the entire thread. I agree with Marlon that if you were to do a bit of crafty editing and sound design you could probably people to jump.

Nice job (and about that makeup, tell me more!)

EditPhish
11-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Good job on this film. It really surprised me. There were alot of really good things in here. The opening may have been a scene or two too long, but it didn't bother me. The gore and makeup was excellent. I liked the opening shot with the girl trying to get away and then gets caught. I think if you speed the grab shot up 15-20% and cut it to black a frame or two sooner and add a louder monster sound there it'll have a bit more impact. It was good, but I think if you do those things it'll make people jump out of their seats. Yes, there was alot of blood, but I think I know what you were intending and I was good with that. The transformation makeup was excellent. I can tell you guys put alot of work into this. This was another one that I enjoyed. Nice job!

Thanks so much for the great feedback. I like your suggestion about the grab shot and we may have to give that a try.
Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Hey, I really liked this!
Storywise I thought it was a tad predicable. I got the concept right away and was looking for (or hoping for) a twist that would have taken the story in an unexpected direction. But even without it I enjoyed the film very much.

Thanks! Glad you liked it! We figured it would be predictable for some, especially in the film-maker crowd :)

Enough has been said about the blood already, but like Blaine my favorite shot was the blood on the tent. Overall, considering how much of it there was in the movie, I think the blood was just fine.

Thanks! All I can say is I hope for my actors' sakes that the next DVX fest doesn't drive us towards a blood theme! LOL

Thought the editing and the visual telling of the story was exceptionally well done. This film in my opinion showed usage of flashbacks that actually worked well--a rarity in short film.

This is a great compliment and thank you so much for it!

I thought the nature sounds in the campsite shots were a touch too loud and detracted a little from the soundtrack at that point, but that's a total nitpick.
Great work!

Sound mix is something we felt happy with on the final day, but in retrospect JTyner wishes he had fiddled with it a little more. Of course, with days of work on end, we may have lost perspective just a tad along the way... something I'm sure we can all be guilty of. We've got a lot to learn, so all feedback is appreciated, especially detail like you've provided.

Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks again!

I know a few people mentioned the beginning taking too long. I don't know, maybe just a hair, but maybe not at all. I personally wasn't ready to "click off" like I think I would be if this were the case. I actually liked the gradual build up and the ensuing chase.

It goes to show how subjective all this watching and commenting can be, right? :)
We thought the pacing was good... I think, as noted by other comments, we might have benefited from a bit more "history" of the characters, so story is something we'll continue to (hopefully) do better at. We worked a LOT on the pacing at the beginning especially and felt we got it right... some agree, some don't :)

Liked the feel of the piece, music and sound design was good.

Thanks. JTyner's background is actually in music and recording so this part comes natural to him... however, we know it's a different venue with film, so we're still learning to get the mix right. Thanks for the comment on the sound.

I'll reply more in a new reply about makeup for ya...

EditPhish
11-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Can you tell me more about the makeup you did. I saw some great BTS pics. How long did it take? Did you do it yourself, etc. You may have said this but I haven't gone through the entire thread. I agree with Marlon that if you were to do a bit of crafty editing and sound design you could probably people to jump.
Nice job (and about that makeup, tell me more!)

First, thanks again for all your feedback and comments. It's SO appreciated!

Thanks on the makeup, and I'm glad you enjoyed the BTS pics.

The whole makeup thing was new for us. One of the reasons we wanted to be part of this fest was the challenge is presented to us... to actually come up with a monster and pull it off - and luckily, it seems most comments have been in our favor in that regard... so success! :)

I have an art background and I supposed that helps... I've never done advanced makeup but was up for the challenge.

We shopped around quite a bit to find the right prosthetic that matched our vision. I wish I could say we designed it ourselves, but we're not THAT advanced yet ;) -- We bought the ears separately, finding the ones we liked. We weren't as picky about the hands/claws as they played a small role.
We never worked with a face prosthetic like this before (form-fitting to face... moves with expressions and such) but it was a great experience (of course, ask the lead actor, he might have gotten high from the glue! LOL)

The prosthetic itself was flat white when it arrived. The night before filming I spent about 3-4 hours "painting" it... using sealant, setting powder, grease makeup (for the actual painting) and then more setting powder. It was painted in layers, with multiple colors of browns, blacks, greys and even a little red. I was nervous as hell doing it since we only had ONE prosthetic and no time to redo it! We did the same for the ears (as they arrive white as well). We sat around the dining room table on Friday night while I painted and everyone chatted (actors, JTyner...)

On set the next day (and running out of daylight) we applied the prosthetic (with spirit gum "glue") in phases (after carefully cutting it where we wanted to allow it to be applied in stages). Stage one was just the forehead area and a small amount of makeup on the actors face. Stage two was the forehead area and a lot more makeup on the face that I applied to simulate his face changing. Stage three was the full prosthetic and a lot of blending (which I could have done better had we not been running way short on time and light). All the blending was done with the same grease makeup the prosthetic had been painted with.

It was a GREAT learning experience and all of us "on set" were very pleased with the results. Ultimately, I can see the areas that need improvement, but I'm actually excited about the idea of using makeup like this again. It was challenging but fun!

The lead actor is also my younger brother, so that made it even more fun :)

There was also just a bit of touch-up done in After Effects during the editing process. The red eyes were also added in AE, but in retrospect I should have done that AFTER the color correction. Call it a learning experience. I've never used AE before.

If there's anything I can answer specifically, let me know... I'm happy to answer. I'm not an expert makeup artist for sure, I'm sure I've got a lot to learn... but I'll be happy to answer anything I'm capable of.

And I'm also open to hear how we could have made it even better! :D

Thanks again!

EditPhish
11-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Just some more BTS stuff... makeup for Nobelo (see post above)

Before makeup... the REAL monster (LOL)

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/realmonster.jpg

During the makeup process (photo by Dead Person #1)...

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/gettingmakeup_DM.jpg

Closeup of the end result...

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/bro.jpg

Thanks everyone!

lawriejaffa
11-10-2009, 05:22 PM
This is a film that reveals some genuine promise amidst a whole suite of inconsistencies. The use of blood on certain shots (Such as the tent) and make up effects have been commended, by various filmmakers here, invariably from that very particular filmmaker perspective.

There is a lack of story here, that makes this a very ineffective short film (more a demonstrative promo or scene from a film.) As an independent film of artistic merit, it looks far too much as if a group of college friends went out with volumes of fake blood to make something silly.

The opening montage of forest - seems to have little to say. Imagine if in some way this was used to contribute to the story, even in a metaphorical realm. Take for example Sarah's Rusalka, and the use of forest and the Rusalka entwined - (and water) to tie her to that environment. It's 6mins, if that, every second can be used.

What we see here is some pretty low budget sounding music and a montage that i suppose is to evoke 'peace' to be interrupted (we'd never guess.) Likewise its worth finding novel and interesting ways to set up your story.

Wobbly mid shots and close ups (fine fine) fairly conventional - i mean every indy and his mate shoots in a forest with blood. It's hard to be original.

The campsite and wake up i think is a bit! I like the chap waking in amidst a massacre. Unfortunately we have a group of multi-coloured student types lying face ground with unripped clothing in poster paints, with a guy stalking about that looks like the most unintimidating yet probably nicest guy invented by god (he's in the university dungeons and dragons club!)

The transformation scene - i will say is cute (with the make up) but fairly ludicrous and giggly to watch. This is b' movies were wolf territory here (with 80s synth music) and a startling freeze frame for the end.

So all in all its commendable for the production effort and the basic competence i think of cinematography and editing. But it is glaringly silly in parts, inconsistent and very dated in approach in my opinion.

EditPhish
11-10-2009, 05:24 PM
One more BTS shot...

http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/prey/peace.jpg

NOBELO
11-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Wow, the makeup covered almost the entire face huh? Was it difficult to get it to stick around the mouth areas? Also, you mentioned that you made his eyes red in AE but I see they are red here. Looks great man, good job.

EditPhish
11-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Wow, the makeup covered almost the entire face huh? Was it difficult to get it to stick around the mouth areas? Also, you mentioned that you made his eyes red in AE but I see they are red here. Looks great man, good job.

For the photos, I just made them red in photoshop to simulate what I did in AE originally (and lost during some of the color correction, LOL).

Yeah, the prosthetic covered nearly the whole face. It was a sort of pliable soft foam like material, very thin (not like a rubber mask). We did have some problems with it sticking properly, but that was our fault and being in a rush because we were running out of daylight. Stage two required a lot of grease makeup on the actor's face, and we didn't have enough time to wash it completely off before stage 3 with the full prosthetic applied. I think it would have stuck much better had we had time to get all the other makeup off before applying it. Luckily, it didn't effect our ability to get the job done though.

I think the biggest problem with using this kind of prosthetic was that it wasn't made FOR our actor's face, so the shape is generic. It still sticks fairly well, but I'd imagine had it be designed for him using casting (which I admittedly know nothing about) it would be so much better. I actually look forward to trying to learn more about this stuff!

Thanks again, so much for your feedback and questions. I wish I had more photos of me actually applying the makeup and painting the mask, but we just didn't think to document everything like that. Next time for sure.

Your film is one of both JTyner's and my favorites -- so good luck in the finals!

BTW, here's kinda what the mask looks like when you get it... this isn't the one we used, but it gives you and idea of what it looks like before it's painted...

http://www.mostlydead.com/images/cfx_facelift_dxl.jpg

TMerry
11-11-2009, 01:17 AM
Love the BTS transformation of the actor to the full makeup. Killer Job, the Colored contacts is the icing on the cake!!

EditPhish
11-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Love the BTS transformation of the actor to the full makeup. Killer Job, the Colored contacts is the icing on the cake!!

Hey T... thanks!
However, the red eyes were done in After Effects (and photoshop for the stills)... red contacts would have been EASIER! LOL!

Sprocketboy
11-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for posting those photos. Its a really involved process. I'm glad I'm not on the spirit gum side of that mask.

Are those pre-made hands or did you do those from scratch? I noticed in one of the photos that the palms are open.

EditPhish
11-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks for posting those photos. Its a really involved process. I'm glad I'm not on the spirit gum side of that mask.

Are those pre-made hands or did you do those from scratch? I noticed in one of the photos that the palms are open.

Thanks man... it is involved and boy did I learn a lot, but it makes me excited to try my hand more at makeup in the future. Luckily, my lead actor (also my brother) was totally into doing this and not allergic to latex! LOL

The hands are pre-made... unlike the prosthetic face and ears, they were already painted when they arrived... all they really required was a bit of stuffing so the fingers didn't look too floppy. Considering how much time the face and ears took to paint, I'm glad we didn't have to paint the hands too!

The actual manufactured quality on the hands was no where near as good (they were plasticky), but they had almost no screen time on their own, so that's where we skimped a bit.

BTW, good luck in the finals! Well-deserved man!

Troy Ruff
11-11-2009, 12:23 PM
congrats on being the top list! :)

EditPhish
11-11-2009, 12:39 PM
congrats on being the top list! :)

Nope... we weren't... "Learning to Prey" was, not us :)

EditPhish
11-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Congratulations to all the winners! Good show everyone!

And I just wanted to thank SprocketBoy for the invite to the Hells Gate Social... we had a great time and it was fun to see our film (and others) on the "big screen". We enjoyed meeting Alex, Mark, Rodney and everyone else.

This has been a great experience! Look forward to the next one!

Sprocketboy
11-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Thank you for coming out. It was great seeing all of you as well. I'll try to setup other events in the future perhaps more elaborate. Hopefully, we will see you making more films.

Mark Harris
11-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Cool meeting y'all on Sunday night!

Rodney V. Smith
11-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Couple hours "free" so I'm popping in to say how cool it was to meet you guys. Always good to put faces to names and then a bonus to meet the actors. Bonus on the monster being your brother. I see a common theme here.

REVIEW:
It was kind of cool seeing "Prey" on the biggish screen and with an audience. Watching these movies from the confines of your living room, office or bedroom insome cases makes you forget what the films are really about. Crowd reaction is such a great thing to feed on.

I enjoyed this piece mainly because of the simple storytelling and the effective transformation into the monster. Yes there are some quibbles about the blood being smeared on a little too conveniently, but oh well. Next time just let the actor get elbow deep in blood and splash around a bit. That gets some effective splatter, but really only good for that one day. Also a bit messy. Anyway, you edited everything together well and hit most of the beats. Music was effective and it was altogether sound.

Except-- when your actor started to run it looked like he had watched one too many Wolfman movies. We're supposed to believe this is a predator on the hunt... he has the scent of the prey and he's beginning o change... and what we get is this dude hobbling along and lurching. More fluid movement, absolute control of his body and joy in the movement, joy in th hunt would have sold that so much more. It would have been believable especially after the carnage of the campsite. A monster fully in control of his body with no lurching moves is the monster who massacred everyone in sight. So there's a bit of a disconnect at that point. It's the one thing that always jars me out of the movie.

Everything else s good storytelling, but just for that one bit you lose me.

Good movie, a great entry. You guys put in a lot of solid work and it shows.