PDA

View Full Version : Why the 7D is the better video camera than the 5D...

Postmaster
10-03-2009, 01:32 PM
.....at least when you plan to use it as a video camera.

I shot some low light narrative stuff (indoors) yesterday for 9 hours.

This was my first try on a 5D and it made me to want to sell my beloved HVX instantly after I saw the clips - just to buy a 7D.

Yes the bigger sensor is fine, but if you work lowlight you have to open the iris all the way. That makes it really hard to pull focus - especially when you are on a dolly and the actors moving back and forth.

With the 7d I would probably shoot wide open too, but because of the smaller sensor size, I get less DOF = sharper images.

Both sensors are using 1800x1920 of their matrix anyway, so why pay more and wrangle with focus?

The D7 has a tad less problems with Jello and is a tad less fast, but can shoot 25/24 if someone needs that.

A lot of people say (including Phil Bloom and Stu Maschwitz) that the 5D has lower noise. But if you compare

this: http://reviews.photographyreview.com/blog/canon-eos-7d-studio-sample-photos/

and that: http://reviews.photographyreview.com/blog/canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-studio-sample-photos/

you would maybe agree with me, that the difference is not that much.
In some charts the 7D look better noise wise.

For stills - thats a whole different game, but for video IMHO the 7D is the better camera (unless you donīt have a whole lot of light).

Frank

Barry_Green
10-03-2009, 01:58 PM
I would agree with all that, and add the obvious additional things such as the additional frame rates (24, 25, 50, and 60fps) and the capability for slow-mo, etc. And the $1,000 lower price! Plus the higher bitrate for hopefully better compression, etc.

But, the 5D has its own set of advantages, including being more sensitive and having a wider field of view. For any given lens, the 5D is going to see about 50% more, so wide angle is much easier to get on the 5D than the 7D.

So, as always, "better" is a relative term. You can't truly say one is "better" than the other, all you can say definitively is that one is better than the other for a specific purpose. For low-light shooting, for wide-angle shooting, the 5D might suit someone's purposes better than the 7D. But for most purposes overall, I think the 7D is the more-rounded cinematography camera.

Michael Olsen
10-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Oh, I don't know if it was ever mentioned here, but Philip Bloom altered his posistion on the 5D v. 7D debate somewhat after a rather trying experience.

This is from: http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/10/01/5dmkii-or-the-7d/ which, if you haven't given it a look already is an enlightening read.

UPDATE 1st October 2009

My opinion has changed. I prefer the 7d for one very simple reason. I HATE the 30p of the 5d. Not the look but the actual frame rate. It is TRUE and EXACTLY 30p. Not 29.97 like every other video camera that shoots 30p. I am trying to edit together a massive training DVD on the 7d shot using 2 5dmkII and one EX1. All the audio is on the ex1 and neither PLURALEYES or FCP Multicam is having any of it. My only option is to either convert ALL the EX1 footage to exactly 30p using compressor or ALL the 5dmkII stuff to exactly 29.97. I tried to do this and it has been going for a day and it has barely scratched the surface. So for this reason I say 7d because the 7d has proper 30p, that is 29.97. Not the 30p that is compatible with nothing but the 5dmkII! Canon obviously realised this and gave the 7d the right frame rate(s)

Of course if you never plan to intercut 5d with anything else then don’t worry. The 5d still has a better image!!

Kholi
10-03-2009, 02:19 PM
I would agree with all that, and add the obvious additional things such as the additional frame rates (24, 25, 50, and 60fps) and the capability for slow-mo, etc. And the $1,000 lower price! Plus the higher bitrate for hopefully better compression, etc.

But, the 5D has its own set of advantages, including being more sensitive and having a wider field of view. For any given lens, the 5D is going to see about 50% more, so wide angle is much easier to get on the 5D than the 7D.

So, as always, "better" is a relative term. You can't truly say one is "better" than the other, all you can say definitively is that one is better than the other for a specific purpose. For low-light shooting, for wide-angle shooting, the 5D might suit someone's purposes better than the 7D. But for most purposes overall, I think the 7D is the more-rounded cinematography camera.

Absolutely, on all accounts. I did plan on getting rid of my MKii but I find myself hoping, now, that Canon does a double-take and injects 24p into a Firmware update in the near future if it's possible.

Reason being, I can easily see using the 5D in tight spots where you need the wide angle and I REALLY don't want to lose the incredible stills. Even though the 7D stills look great, there are nothing in comparison to MKii stills. So, better is relative to project and application for sure.

Must add to Postmaster's list: The 5D is only faster if you shoot wide open. Quite typically, you won't be shooting anywhere near wide open, more like 4~5.6 Splits which make it JUST as fast as the 7D @ 2.8, where you would more than likely be shooting.

Postmaster
10-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I

For any given lens, the 5D is going to see about 50% more, so wide angle is much easier to get on the 5D than the 7D.

Ahhhrgh , you are right Barry (as allways)

I used my beloved Zeiss Jena medium format primes on the 5D yesterday, and really loved what I saw.
They are way faster than the Canon lenses, similar sharpness but better performance and much more character or Mojo.

I was so euphoric about the images they create, that I totally forgot the fact that I loose much FOV on the 7D with those primes.

I guess there goes my 7D plan.

Frank

thekreative
10-03-2009, 09:46 PM
My reason for not jumping to the 7D is the Magic Lantern hack. It gives me some stuff I have to have and it isn't ported to the 7D yet. Plus I love the super wide angle.

reem12
10-03-2009, 10:05 PM
how can I get the magic lantern hack

thekreative
10-03-2009, 10:09 PM
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

really great!

Emanuel
10-03-2009, 10:54 PM
I was so euphoric about the images they create, that I totally forgot the fact that I loose much FOV on the 7D with those primes.

I guess there goes my 7D plan.Frank,

Why not the best of both?

E. ;-)

squig
10-03-2009, 10:59 PM
I'll suffer 30p till magic lantern gets ported, my H4n is collecting dust now that I have a juicedlink and AGC defeat. The zebras, histogram and crop marks are great too. The super shallow DOF is also good for certain creative situations.