PDA

View Full Version : 7D vs. K-x

jrod81
10-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Hey guys,
With Pentax releasing a DSLR that shoots HD at 24fps, a poor film student like myself has to consider this $650 option over the 7D. However, I want to know what I will be loosing by buying the Pentax over the Canon. It seems most issues are the same and are a concern with all DSLR (such as audio and file size shut off), but the two concerns I have off the top of my head are:
1. 720p and no 1080p on the Pentax
2. only 24fsp (which is better than 30p, but a huge loss of 60p)
What other things will i be giving up if I go with this Pentax instead of the 7d?
thanks
jared

ydgmdlu
10-03-2009, 11:49 AM
The K-X presumably doesn't have full manual exposure controls in video mode. It probably works like the K-7, which allows you to set the aperture, but it decides everything else.

Also, you'll be far more limited in lens choices. You'll mostly be stuck with Pentax lenses, or third-party lenses made for Pentax. They're not bad lenses at all, but you have fewer options from which to choose.

ydgmdlu
10-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Also, please refer to this thread: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=183691

Yup, it looks like you won't have manual controls...

Eddy Robinson
10-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Loss of aperture control would be the #1 problem. You can lock aperture on the K-7 and presumably on this, but it'll monkey around with the shutter speed/iso sensitivity.

jrod81
10-03-2009, 04:54 PM
so you can lock aperture and then flip it over to video mode and just hope that lighting conditions don't change because you are locked into that particular aperture? man, that is tough... i wonder if they will do firmware?