PDA

View Full Version : Canon 7d Versus HVX200

Lucian
10-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows a few numbers on relative supply/demand of the 7d versus when the HVX200 came out a few years ago. There was also a lot of excitement for that camera.

Barry Green said Tiger Direct had only 100 preorders. In reading this forum, one might think the 7d is the next Cabbage Patch Doll, or even the Scarlet. But 100 preorders? That doesn't suggest a feeding frenzy.

NoahK
10-01-2009, 05:55 PM
It's undeniable there's a massive buzz and lust for this camera. Is it possible or even appropriate to compare to the HVX's release? Hard to say but I'd really doubt we'll ever have the hard numbers to decide.

Noah

NoxNoctus
10-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I think, and may be wrong, that video sales wouldnt be as hot as photo sales. The 7D is a KILLER video system, but the photo aspect side doesnt bring a whooole lot new to the table. On top of that, Canon releases a new model hot off the presses before it's cooled down from the previous model. Give it time I'd say. The camera's been available in the US for less than a few days

Lucian
10-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Okay, stupid question, what's so special about this camera as a still camera? I thought it's the vid capability that makes it hot.

Barry_Green
10-01-2009, 06:05 PM
TigerDirect pulled the plug on the preorders very quickly. They got swamped with preorders and I think they only had it available for an hour or so before they pulled the product out of their catalog.

As far as buzz, I don't think the 7D buzz is anywhere near anything like what the HVX200 mania was. We've only had about a month with the 7D, whereas with the HVX we were teased about it for almost a full year. And when it came out, it was in short supply everywhere, whereas with the 7D we have reports of lots of stores having them in stock.

As far as total sales? Canon will probably sell more 7Ds in a month than Panasonic will sell HVX200s in its lifetime. The 7D is a still camera sold in Best Buy and it costs $1699. The HVX was a pioneering solid-state camera sold through professional video resellers to the broadcast and independent production market.

Barry_Green
10-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Okay, stupid question, what's so special about this camera as a still camera? I thought it's the vid capability that makes it hot.
Hahahah! Oooh, a 7D pun...

(well, an untentional one, I guess... see... there's threads about how the 7D is overheating and shutting down, and you said "hot", and ... well, I guess you had to be there...)

The 7D is a still camera first and foremost. It has a video feature grafted on to it. It isn't a particularly revolutionary still camera, or a particularly revolutionary video camera. What it is, is a pretty good still camera that takes pretty good video too, in 12-minute-and-under bursts.

What our community is jazzed about is that the 7D takes that video using a sensor as large as a frame of 35mm movie film, so it has movie-style depth of field. And it's cheap, much less expensive than conventional HD video cameras (although, the HMC40 is not much more, so the price gap isn't as big as it used to be). At $1699 you can have a camera with the same depth of field as we used to buy adapters for, so when comparing a $6,000 EX1 with a $2500 Redrock Micro kit on it, for $8500 total, the $1699 of the 7D starts to look awfully compelling.

Isaac_Brody
10-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Though this isn't mentioned much it's a two for one camera when you consider 24P/25P and the ability to shoot all over the world. Hoping that all the other cameras to come make this a standard feature.

f64manray
10-01-2009, 07:44 PM

Well, I'm not sure what it would take to be revolutionary, but the 7D is causing some waves in the "still" world as it seems to approach the image quality of the 5DII only falling short by approximately a stop. It's really is redefining what a crop sensor is capable of. It has build quality of the 1 Series of the past, a completely redesigned AF system (pretty big thing to many) and will shoot 8 fps (another big thing). Maybe not a complete revolution, but a mini one as far as stills go. It really has taken this quality/build/feature set to a whole new floor shattering price point. .....also the view finder shows 100% of the image shot. That was also only on 1 series cameras in the past. The 7D is the 1D Rebel.

ydgmdlu
10-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Actually, if you take a closer look, you'll see that the 7D is pretty much the most advanced DSLR in Canon's entire EOS line. The only reason why it's the entry-level model in the top tier is because of the crop sensor. Otherwise, its features best even the 1Ds Mark III.

USLatin
10-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Actually, if you take a closer look, you'll see that the 7D is pretty much the most advanced DSLR in Canon's entire EOS line. The only reason why it's the entry-level model in the top tier is because of the crop sensor. Otherwise, its features best even the 1Ds Mark III.

Indeed. And I can't believe I am getting that, plus what Barry said, plus ~300% the sensitivity of other $5000.- cameras! This camera completely reminded me of the good 'ol crazy HVX teaser days... back when I joined and started learning about cameras actually. This may not be as revolutionary as the HVX, or the DVX with 24p, but it is a solid third... at lease for the adapter community!

We have to thank Red for this one though. Otherwise the S35 + removable lenses wouldn't have happened for an other year or two at least.

ydgmdlu
10-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Hoping that all the other cameras to come make this a standard feature.
Hoping especially that Panasonic takes notice and does this with their GH1 successor. Sheesh!

Djones
10-05-2009, 07:39 AM
after seeing video from the 7D..it looks like its alot better than my HPX170!!

Ian-T
10-05-2009, 07:54 AM
after seeing video from the 7D..it looks like its alot better than my HPX170!!There was a recent thread where (I believe) Illya Freidman did a comparison video with the HPX170 and the GH-1. The GH-1 had a slightly better looking image than the 170. So with that said I can comfortably say that the 7D will look much better.

Zim
10-05-2009, 08:22 AM
The local Best Buy here told me they are downsizing and will not carry camera's like the D300s or 7D anymore.

TigerDirect pulled the plug on the preorders very quickly. They got swamped with preorders and I think they only had it available for an hour or so before they pulled the product out of their catalog.

As far as buzz, I don't think the 7D buzz is anywhere near anything like what the HVX200 mania was. We've only had about a month with the 7D, whereas with the HVX we were teased about it for almost a full year. And when it came out, it was in short supply everywhere, whereas with the 7D we have reports of lots of stores having them in stock.

As far as total sales? Canon will probably sell more 7Ds in a month than Panasonic will sell HVX200s in its lifetime. The 7D is a still camera sold in Best Buy and it costs $1699. The HVX was a pioneering solid-state camera sold through professional video resellers to the broadcast and independent production market.

Richard J. Johnson
10-05-2009, 08:31 AM
You are really going to find out what is the best for what you do. I still see HVX200 footage that blows me away and some that just blows. same with any camera. It's really what you do with what you got. If I had 5k to spend I would catch a used 170 and use the rest for other gear or a 7D as a B cam. You just can't go wrong with the 170, It's a wonderful camera.

daktulus
10-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Do I get the same colour intensity with the D7 as with the HVX?
Is the quicktime H.264 colourspace 4:2:2 like DVCPROHD?
Does the picture fall apart when you cc it?

Richard J. Johnson
10-05-2009, 10:59 AM
As far as 7D images holding up to heavy CC'ing there are plenty of users here that say yes. But I don't get mine until Wednesday so I could not truly answer that.

Ian-T
10-05-2009, 01:58 PM
However (and I'm not sure) I believe the HVX has 4:2:2 color while the 7D is 4:2:0.

Jackson Miller
10-05-2009, 03:01 PM
But the huge sensor would make the color rendition superior right? It is my understanding that the HVX simply uses that codec but doesn't "fill it up" or take advantage of all of the potential of the codec. Whereas the 7d's footage will probably be just about the best looking color you will see in 4:2:0 and probably better than the HVX (I think).

Ian-T
10-05-2009, 06:17 PM
I agree with you.