PDA

View Full Version : 7D vs. 5D footage - you be the judge

shibby555
09-29-2009, 04:05 PM
I have just shot a few short sequences with my 5D and my 7D with different lenses, subject matter and times of day/light. I will be posting them here tonight, so you can see the ACTUAL difference!

Rakesh Jacob
09-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Thnx for giving us a couple of hours to think about it before we actually see anything?:undecided:huh:

At any rate can't wait to see it! :)

Perry Wilson
09-29-2009, 04:10 PM
You B@stard I got so excited...

Rakesh Jacob
09-29-2009, 04:11 PM
You B@stard I got so excited...

I know I was like "HELL YEAH!... umm... where the fu-- is the link... WHAT THE HELL?"

But seriously Shibby post it, I've been looking forward to someone doing this like you wouldn't believe!
And thnx in advance

shibby555
09-29-2009, 06:57 PM
lol sorry guys....I just put it together and was going to post, but Vimeo is taking a while. I PROMISE to have it up tonight!

J. Odoms
09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Me want footage.....

mcgeedigital
09-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Tag

PaPa
09-29-2009, 07:38 PM
I would like to go to bed... But i can't just yet.. Hurry up vimeo.

shibby555
09-29-2009, 07:42 PM
22 minutes...........

J. Odoms
09-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Sweet

Gordon Prince
09-29-2009, 07:52 PM
What a tease! It seems REDuser now.

NoxNoctus
09-29-2009, 07:57 PM
What a tease! It seems REDuser now.

Almost. There hasn't been the claim that it's better than everything you've seen/used before even though it's not out yet :grin:

Perry Wilson
09-29-2009, 07:57 PM
WTF Vimeo claiming no videos tagged 7D and this is what I have been searching for 5 weeks now to find all of the vids...

Oedipax
09-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Seems like Vimeo's search is busted at the moment, or down for maintenance, or something. Annoying.

Perry Wilson
09-29-2009, 08:02 PM
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH whatg will I do without all of the eyecandy while I wait for my cam on tuesday... CCCCCUUUUUURRRRRRSSSSSSEEEEEE YYOOOUUU VIMEO!!!!!!!!

James Dierx
09-29-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm not going to bed till it's up.

filmmaker's gang
09-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Almost. There hasn't been the claim that it's better than everything you've seen/used before even though it's not out yet :grin:so no seen before.. that's correct :D

Perry Wilson
09-29-2009, 08:06 PM
I don't sleep anymore...

esnichols
09-29-2009, 08:22 PM
can't wait to see

shibby555
09-29-2009, 08:25 PM
OK, here it is...keep in mind that this is hand held, but you will see the differences which is why I did this. Enjoy!

http://www.vimeo.com/6825676

Zak Forsman
09-29-2009, 08:28 PM
thanks shibby. very useful comparison.

Perry Wilson
09-29-2009, 08:41 PM
thanks man the rolling shutter truly looks worse on the 5D it looks like the WB was of a bit on the 7D

shibby555
09-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Both cameras were set exactly the same to show their differences.

Perry Wilson
09-29-2009, 09:00 PM
got it looks like my 7D will need a little bit of WB shift

ydgmdlu
09-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Both cameras were set exactly the same to show their differences.
I'd like to take your word for it, but would you mind posting the exact configuration that you used anyway?

John Caballero
09-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Sorry I can't really tell the difference. I am too dizzy at the moment after watching.

J. Odoms
09-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Sorry I can't really tell the difference. I am too dizzy at the moment after watching.

LOL:2vrolijk_08:

Max Lamare
09-29-2009, 10:23 PM
I'll trade u my HV30 for the 7D! Lmao jk. 7D is a beast.

Boomerang
09-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Not the same lens though.... unless you have doubles. So that can effect contrast and color.
Really nice you put this up for everyone to see.

ydgmdlu
09-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Not the same lens though.... unless you have doubles.
I had the impression that he was using the same lenses on both bodies. He was also not recording with both simultaneously, as you can see slight differences in the videos (aside from field-of-view).

sblfilms
09-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the post, but man, if that was the first video I had seen out of either of those cams...I probably wouldn't give either a second look :grin:

John Caballero
09-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Sorry to be so blunt but based on this awful testing I wouldn't buy any of these two cameras. Really, they should at least be on a tripod. I understand the effort but it is a total disservice to either camera. Again sorry, but that is my opinion.

Orchidthief
09-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Sorry to be so blunt but based on this awful testing I wouldn't buy any of these two camera. Really, they should at least be on a tripod. I understand the effort but it is a total disservice to either camera. Again sorry, but that is my opinion.

Couldn't agree with you any more John.....

To the OP, you get an "A" for effort though! =)

Zak Forsman
09-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the post, but man, if that was the first video I had seen out of either of those cams...I probably wouldn't give either a second look :grin:

Sorry to be so blunt but based on this awful testing I wouldn't buy any of these two camera. Really, they should at least be on a tripod. I understand the effort but it is a total disservice to either camera. Again sorry, but that is my opinion.

really? at this point, i think seeing it at its worst (handheld, panning, long lenses) is incredibly valuable. we already know how to make these cams look great.

Now listen, the above two posts are close to, if not, crossing the line. So let me make something clear and consider this the only warning: No one should come into any more testing threads and critique the tester. The DSLR forums have run amok with this crap and it is going to stop. If you want to discuss how the cameras performed under these circumstances, great. Please do. If you want to dump on other members of this forum who are actively contributing time and effort, think twice.

sorry to be the bad guy, but this garbage won't stand. you're a guest here. act accordingly.

Jason Ramsey
09-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Point being, there is an extreme lack of respect going on lately, and I think a lot more than just the mods are sick of it.

The line between healthy debate/camera talk and just plain sillyness is way blurred these days. Nothing personal. And, I don't care what camera it is, the behavior is the same from the lot of you regardless. Sorry if it seems like we are overreacting to one or two posts... but, combine it all over the last few months and things come to a head eventually.

Jason Ramsey
09-30-2009, 01:52 AM
We aren't trying to single anyone out, here. Things just get out of hand often times when new cameras come along (which is quite often lately) and there are certain types of postings that are becoming more and more common, and do little to move threads in a productive direction. We're just trying to head that stuff off now before it gets even more out of hand.

Not saying you can't be "negative" or have critiques and so on... Just asking you all to consider what you are posting. Consider being a bit more tactful and showing more general respect for each other and for those who are taking the time to share footage (of any kind) of camera's that are fresh out of the box, and some of the first on the street.

rather than dropping into a thread and saying "that footage sucks", which is pretty much only going to serve as a conversation stopper/argument starter/contribution discourager much of the time... Take it in, and consider something more along the lines of "Thanks for taking the time, however I couldn't really tell anything from that footage. If you have the time, I'd love to see xyz. That would be more helpful for me" Something that can move the thread along and potentially help a lot more people than the currently common alternative to that. i.e. "footage sucks" "not cinematic", etc, etc, etc.

Some of you have good intentions, but there are just too many of these kinds of comments to go around right now, and again they aren't really serving to move the thread in a productive and useful direction. Others are looking for any reason at all to slam on x camera (granted these types of posters are in the minority, but we'd rather those posters with ill intent be isolated and easily identifiable, rather than seeming par for the course).

So, just asking if everyone can please take the extra time for now, b/c (in my opinion) the DSLR sections have gotten out of hand, and the tone has become overly negative. Can handle those types of posts from time to time... but not multiple times in nearly every thread every day (or so it seems). If the best you can muster is a conversation stopper, then might I suggest that you just pass the thread by for now. Just too much noise right now, and we'd like to see things head back in a more productive direction for a while.

anyways... sorry for the diversion... as you were :)

Thanks.

later,
Jason

Sttratos
09-30-2009, 04:01 AM
Nice test, thanks for taking the time.
Did you shoot 1080p? Would it be possible to upload the 1080p version on vimeo or somewhere?

PaPa
09-30-2009, 05:46 AM
Wow, im glad i looked at this this morning. Great test, especially the last shot. Looks like the 7D at 24p had far less jello than the 5D at 30p. Thanks for sharing! Makes me look forward to doing some handheld stuff with the 7D with a little less worry.

shibby555
09-30-2009, 06:45 AM
Yes, The same 3 lenses.

shibby555
09-30-2009, 06:49 AM
Thank you. And if you people READ the post, it clearly says "quick, hand held shots so you can see some differences." I'm not out shooting my next Cannes piece for a quick testing, and for those of you who want to see BLADE RUNNER on the 7D, go buy one yourself. I like these quick little vids when I am looking to purchase equipment. Thanks to those of you who are polite enough to understand, and share no cowardice with the obtuse.

sblfilms
09-30-2009, 07:34 AM
and share no cowardice with the obtuse.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that neither Zak nor Jason is going to take issue with your 'critique of the poster' here :smile:.

Jason Ramsey
09-30-2009, 07:43 AM
hadn't seen it yet until just now...

Are you trying to start something sblfilms?

There is this great thing called the report post feature... You should use it next time, instead of trying to make an issue.

Of course, you woudn't know that I deleted a post earlier this morning in this thread from someone who was slamming on you... It ain't about you partner.

later,
Jason

Ian-T
09-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Strange but the 5D has a more orange/yellow tint to its overall image compared to the 7D. You can also see the rolling shutter artifact (skew) is less on the 7D. Also…the whites are more prominent in the 7D (not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing).

Thanks for this test. If you can please provide more.

Rory_B
09-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Watched the video late before bed and I'm pretty sure there wasn't any info on iso or aperture settings? Maybe you could post clip info here or on the video itself under the 7d/5d labels.

Scott F
09-30-2009, 08:01 AM
we already know how to make these cams look great.

On that note, I can't wait to see some footage with proper lighting/studio setting.

Thanks for sharing your initial tests, shibby. Much appreciated. Now go get to work on your Cannes masterpiece. :-Laugh(DBG)-1

Tracey Lee
09-30-2009, 08:45 AM
I am happy to see the extreme yellow you get indoors is toned down more on the 7D than the 5D. I can't wait to get my 7D tomorrow :)