PDA

View Full Version : Prop shotgun?

Azmyth
09-26-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm trying to get a tally of the items I am gonna be needing. Mostly the hard to obtain stuff.

I don't really like the idea of using a real shotgun, for safety reasons. Are there airsoft or prop versions? The Crow being one of my favorite movies of all time.. has haunted me forever.

pveal
09-27-2009, 07:37 PM
are you going to be shooting in a public place? If not then I would just use a real shotgun and be extra extra anal with safety, i mean totally extra safe minded, no bullshit, don't f*ck around, . A shotgun looks like a shotgun. I'm thinking of a 12 bore double barreled type so maybe we're thinking of different things. cheers.

Good luck with your film man. (thanks for posting the wrestling jumping pics btw)

Azmyth
09-27-2009, 09:20 PM
lol no problem.

Yeah, I know I could go that route for sure. This is GA plenty of people with shotguns (its not a good thing lol). I'd need to make completely sure its empty. I went through a haunted forest type thing last year, and they had like a cowboy western hanging scene.. with shotguns and pistols with blanks.. someone got shot..

not sure how.

mtan
09-28-2009, 07:50 AM
I would not use a real shotgun no matter how safe you try to be, get an airsoft version, they can look very real

Azmyth
09-28-2009, 08:16 AM
I would not use a real shotgun no matter how safe you try to be, get an airsoft version, they can look very real

Yeah, that was my thoughts.

I found one on a site from another thread sticky.. (not sure why i didn't look there first)

And found one that looks exactly like what I need, for 39.99

problem solved.

ZazaCast
09-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Yeah, that was my thoughts.

I found one on a site from another thread sticky.. (not sure why i didn't look there first)

And found one that looks exactly like what I need, for 39.99

problem solved.

Please, share the site...:beer:

Azmyth
09-28-2009, 09:20 AM
http://www.shortyusa.com/

Sad Max
09-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Generally speaking if you must use a real firearm for a non-firing prop, remove the firing pin.

Without someone in the role of Armorer who knows how to do things like that, no real firearm has any business being within a mile of set.

Azmyth
09-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Generally speaking if you must use a real firearm for a non-firing prop, remove the firing pin.

Without someone in the role of Armorer who knows how to do things like that, no real firearm has any business being within a mile of set.

Exactly my thoughts.

Just because its low budget, doesn't mean we need to be stupid.

I will not cut corners like that.

If I can't afford to pay someone to do this on my set, then there shall be no real firearms present except for those present in the law enforcement holsters who are doing crowd control.

djkarn105
09-29-2009, 10:39 PM
I got this from the DV Rebel guide but it works beautifully

Go to your local toy store. Buy a plastic toy gun that is molded realistically, it doesn't matter what color.

Go to the hardware store. Buy a can of bright green paint.

Apply the paint to the toy gun.

Shoot aforementioned movie.

Do a color replace in post, keying out the green and replacing it with gunmetal grey / black.

Richard J. Johnson
09-30-2009, 03:03 AM
Just go airsoft. I have an airsoft tactical shottie that looks exactly like the real thing.

But I have to be honest. We have used real guns on set before. We took the clips out, put dummy clips in, quadruple checked the barrel, slide and chamber and made sure no ammo was even brought on set. Not a smart thing to do regardless and I do not recommend doing it that way.

djkarn105
09-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Just go airsoft. I have an airsoft tactical shottie that looks exactly like the real thing.

Way more expensive than a squirt gun and you can still shoot someone's eye out.

It looking exactly like the real thing can also be a big liability if you're shooting in public places.

ZazaCast
09-30-2009, 05:11 PM

Thank you!

Azmyth
09-30-2009, 06:55 PM
The only thing about those toy guys... is I have yet to find one that was "adult size" so it looks exactly like what it is, size wise.

Sad Max
09-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Maybe you just need to cast smaller actors.

legend of the steelstring
10-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Hey Azmyth... where abouts in Ga. I have an airsoft tactical pump that looks real you are more than welcome to use. Pm me. There is an airsoft store in Roswell that will have whatever you need I think I paid twenty something for the shotgun

Good Luck and let me know if I can help in any way

ZazaCast
10-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Maybe you just need to cast smaller actors.

LMAO! :thumbsup:

Doc Bernard
10-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Even though several members said it, I will re-iterate it. NO REAL FIREARMS ON ANY SET! Period. End of story. This is a recipe for disaster. Removing the firing pin is not enough. I don't care how careful you are, mistakes can happen. I do this for a living, and I will tell you now, and for anyone else who may read this thread, NO, NO, NO, NO! Even the most experienced armorers never use real firearms, they use weapons that cannot fire real ammo. They can only fire blanks. They used to be real weapons, but have been modded to only fire blanks and not live ammo. I applaud you desire for realism, but, dude.

I have a number of airsoft shotguns I use that have been deactivated so they cannot ever fire pellets/bb's. They are completely set safe, and I would dare anyone to differentiate between a real one and one of my props. If you want realism, in order to prevent any mistakes, PM me. I will show you how to make it look real, not just out of the box, but how to age it, and make it more life like.

Sherlock256
10-19-2009, 06:49 PM
http://www.stage-props-blank-guns.com/

This site has all kinds of prop weapons from knives, swords, pistol, rifles, modern and older weapons...

mdslammer
10-20-2009, 10:29 AM

I second this suggestion. I've purchased a couple of items from them and
they worked beautifully. They look authentic and are SAFE.

What I did do was paint the orange barrel black or removed it completely to give it
a more "authentic" look.
NOTE: This is not recommended by them or your local police dept.
Only use them in a controlled area you are filming in. NOTHING more!!!

Good luck.

lowercase
03-13-2011, 12:13 PM
a lot of the online airsoft stores will give you a discount if you tell them you're doin a movie and you'll put a special thanks and web address in your credits.
you can also check to see if they have any returns that they are willing to sell. they're usually inoperable but look the part and can be had at huge discounts.
i've gotten guns at 75 percent off that look great but won't fire...which is actually a good thing.

Sniper1154
03-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Also checkout boneyards from places like Evike.com. I got a LOT of my prop airsoft guns (full metal) from boneyards for a fraction of the price. A lot of selling a shot with a gun is getting it to look like it weighs as much as its real counterpart. Whether you go the spring airsoft route or something a bit higher end, I'd suggest filling it with fishing weights or something so that the actor/actress handles it like a real gun.

arroway
03-18-2011, 09:53 AM
If you had the cash, these would be the best option: http://www.modelguns-worldwide.com/shotguns.htm