PDA

View Full Version : Making someone look pregnant

awelgraven
09-21-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm shooting a short film in a month where the lead actress is pregnant during the entire film. I'm going for more of a baby bump than anything "too pregnant" :)

Any suggestions on how to do this? You would never see any skin, but I need it to be clearly visible and realistic looking under clothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-alex

Sad Max
09-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Costume houses rent strap-on 'pregnancy pillows' to wear under clothing.

You can make one yourself for cheap with a properly-sized/shaped throw pillow or chunk of soft foam; stitch on a couple velcro straps to hold it in place and you're golden.

Scott Lovejoy
11-03-2009, 08:58 AM
A cheap version that I've seen work pretty well is a kid's (depending on size) bicycle helmet. Put the helmet on the stomach and then wrap the person and the helmet in an Ace bandage. Provided you get the right helmet, I think it works pretty well.

ZazaCast
11-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Hire a pregnant actress. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Richard J. Johnson
11-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Or just call me in. I specialize in such things.

Hire a pregnant actress. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

David W. Richardson
11-03-2009, 09:06 PM
For a couple of our films, we took a soccer ball and cut it in half. Actually, not quite in half -- one side a little bigger than the other. We took the slightly bigger side and stuffed rags into it to give it a little weight. (It probably wasn't enough.) Cut slits in each each side and ran cloth strips through to make a 'belt', which tied around the actress's waist. Dressed her in a maternity blouse, and that did it.

Dillon Novak
11-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Or just call me in. I specialize in such things.

hahaha!

Andrew McCarrick
11-16-2009, 12:19 PM
http://www.empathybelly.org/home.html

I haven't really looked at that one, but I know there are others like it where you can change the weight to affect the look of it.

steev'sHVX
12-28-2009, 08:52 PM
we put a basketball under a skirt. the shot was only a few seconds tho

Than001
12-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Full-leg nylons stuffed with filler work well. The 'legs' make it incredibly simple to attatch to your actress and the texture is much more skin-like than other alternatives.