PDA

View Full Version : "vii"

namelok
09-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Hello everybody,
First post & first time entering dvxuser fest :)
I'm still waiting for admins approval, but hope it will go through.

http://www.konstantinmarko.com/vii/vii-poster-small.jpg

Christian Halberg
09-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Poster's looking good. :thumbsup:
I'm guessing vampires..?

namelok
09-20-2009, 03:26 PM
among others :)

Luis_
09-20-2009, 09:39 PM
I have never been a vampire movie kind of guy but this awesome looking poster has me intrigued,
good luck!

Christian Vincent Jung
09-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Welcome to the fest!

Wow. Me like!
Will it be in english, or do we need to bring out the transylvanian diccionary? ;)

namelok
09-21-2009, 02:39 AM
Thanks,
Yes it's on english :)

Marlon Ladd
09-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Good luck!

Rodney V. Smith
09-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Welcome!

Nitsuj
09-24-2009, 10:17 AM
I myself love Vampire movies so looking forward to it.

namelok
10-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Well,
Just a little update
Vii is finished by mistake :)
I switched two dates so we finished it before September 30 instead of October 30 (something else had September deadline so...) :D

TMerry
10-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Intriguing poster, I'm diggin i.
Not your normal horror fare. I look forward to seeing it. ;-)
Best of luck!

Troy Ruff
10-13-2009, 08:36 PM
welcome to the fest. I really like your poster, looks clean

Matt Harris
10-30-2009, 09:36 AM
I love the poster, its very clean and professional looking. great font usage.

EditPhish
11-01-2009, 03:08 AM
An unexpected one for sure and an interesting concept, though it probably went on just a bit too long. The part after the credits was funnier than a lot of the dialogue between V, I and I.

However, it really LOOKED amazing... the lighting and color were just beautiful. The sound worked well. You did a lot more right than wrong, and I like that it stood out from the crowd for it's idea.

Good job overall!

Pocusproductions
11-01-2009, 08:25 AM
This was great! At first I was like "oh no.. it supposed to be funny..." but the acting was great, writing was hilarious, and the sound and picture sold it perfectly. Very successful indeed. Great job! Love the wide shot master, absolutely beautiful.

dust'n the callipygous
11-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I've got to agree with Pocus here. The lighting and shot setups were all awesome. The writing and acting were also much better than I was expecting after a few seconds in. This could have easily completely missed the boat on being funny and entertaining, but I think you nailed it.

Denis Haineault
11-01-2009, 10:25 AM
I enjoyed this overall. The lighting worked really well. The concept was great.

So far it has my vote for best line of the festival: "I can't always be in between..." I really laughed at that one.

cheers guys!

namelok
11-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Thank you all for watching.
We were a bit sceptical about the movie.
It is our second short, first with dialogues and we made it even harder for ourselves by not filming it in our native language.
We are really happy that the comments are overall positive :)

Geoff_R
11-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Very funny movie. I thought the pacing and comedic timing were well done. Good acting and cinematography as well. Nice job :)

Charli
11-01-2009, 08:14 PM
It was definitely fun, though a little hard to understand in some parts, it was quite enjoyable concept. I especially liked the ending with the Frankenstein on the sofa talk about troubles with his mother - LOL, we all blame it on Mom and Dad.

This was wonderfully acted, well shot, and held my interest because the interaction between the actors seem so real and honest.

It is definitely one of my favorites.

Chris_Keaton
11-02-2009, 06:51 AM
A comedy that looked like it could really be funny. I totaly enjoyed the quality and premise of this piece, but the whole gay relationship thing wasn't funny for me. I was rooting for it though and hoping for some real zingers. It had it's moments don't get me wrong. But what do I know about comedy. Good Job!

Edgen
11-02-2009, 10:52 AM
I enjoyed this film. campy and funny. Nicely shot and entertaining.

I would have liked to have seen the interviewer though.

/j

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Nice work all around, right down to the laugh track. You went with some pretty stereotypical jokes and the bit seemed to drag just a bit for me at times.

It definitely kept my interest though and it was fairly unique for this fest.
Well shot and acted too!

Nice work.

MAH

Kholi
11-02-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't think I saw your other short? Was it in a different fest?

What I did like about Vii was routed in perspective, as in it knows exactly what it wants to be for the most part and you went for it without waylaying on the swaying. It's a look at a group of "monsters" that live together but are having relationship issues in a triangular fashion. Each one with a separate and actually believable personality and response to each other. In the few minutes that the skit/interview goes, you get a sense of that, down to the different punches and jokes that are being delivered.

Comedy is difficult, and tastes are vast so it's generally a hit or miss. It isn't my personal flavor of comedy but I do see that whoever cut this one up has a sense for timing in general. I DO feel like it's a bit long, and a lot of the jokes-- for me-- didn't sing but that's only personal preference, and nothing that's bad or wrong. The laugh track is great, sometimes it felt like it overpowered the dialog for me in the mix, but it definitely fits the bill.

One thing that I would totally consider thinking about, if you're a fan of comedy and you want to pursue it in the future, is how you approach subjects like homosexuality and even heterosexuality. I don't agree that you should sensor yourself, but it does all come down to context. In the end, the flagrant use of a certain term comes off as a crutch or overdone, when once would have been enough.

What happens is that it may come off as homophobic, even if this isn't the view of the writer or content creators. I'm not saying the term should not be used, certainly homosexuals use the term with each other joking or angrily, simply that-- like any word that could cause discomfort-- you pick the right time to use it, and certainly not excessively.

Visually, very cool. I'm not so sure how I feel about Igor and Ivan against a pretty nice backdrop that you've chosen, the white shirt and all, but either way it looks great. Nice compositions, nothing that I saw what looked off or unappealing.

Great entry guys, thanks for sharing.

namelok
11-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks everybody, and thank you Kholi for your in depth review, we really appreciate it.

With the first short we entered only our local firm festival (vimeo (http://vimeo.com/4430550)).

We agree about the approach to homosexuality, it was very difficult for us to figure if we crossed the line or not, which we didn't intend to. But we made a decision not to shoot the short in our native language and there is the cultural difference.

Also, thanks everybody for constructive criticism, it helps as a lot!

And here are some pictures from the set, we didn't want to spoil anything before the movie :)

http://www.konstantinmarko.com/vii/behindthescene/01.jpg
http://www.konstantinmarko.com/vii/behindthescene/02.jpg
http://www.konstantinmarko.com/vii/behindthescene/03.jpg
http://www.konstantinmarko.com/vii/behindthescene/04.jpg
http://www.konstantinmarko.com/vii/behindthescene/05.jpg
http://www.konstantinmarko.com/vii/behindthescene/06.jpg

Horncastle
11-02-2009, 04:30 PM
This was an ambitious idea that could have fallen flat on it's face and you carried it of very well on the whole. Great cinematography and good acting. Some of the dialogue was a little difficult to understand at times but then you were playing up the accents and it must have been pretty difficult to get the right balance in a foreign language. Good work, thanks.

Mark Johnson
11-02-2009, 07:50 PM
I loved this film. Unique. Quirky. I totally appreciated it. Great job guys!

TMerry
11-06-2009, 01:44 AM
HOLLY CRAP that was funny. Very well done piece and a good refreshing alternative to everything else I've seen so far. VLADs voice and comedic timing was impeccable. The laugh track all seemed in the wrong place which made it even more funny too me. I was laughing at everything in between.

You should send this to SNL (Saturday Night Live) for next halloween. They would have to include it.

Well done, well done!

Rakesh Jacob
11-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Great job guys!!! Comedy is about the hardest thing to do and you guys pulled it of in a different language, amazing! Much respect :)

cinealma
11-07-2009, 10:59 AM
I laughed a lot watching this one. The set up is absolutely crazy. Siamese twins, one of them is straight, the other gay. Wow, another "why didn't I think of that" moment.

Now, throwing some monsters in the mix, that's pretty insane.

Loved the film. Good job! Thanks for sharing.

Susanne G.
11-08-2009, 04:58 PM
This was fun!!! I loved this film. Very entertained. The idea of a Dracula-Gay was hilarious. I enjoyed their forced strong foreign accents. Very nice the idea of seeing them like in a theatre and having the audience laughing behind. It seemed to me something like a fresh Est-European comedy. Compliments and I hope to see more films from you in the future.

Susanne

ZazaCast
11-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Excellent Job! I loved this film. Congrats to cast & crew.

Chris Messineo
11-09-2009, 07:20 AM
I thought this film was very charming. I really enjoyed it a lot.

NOBELO
11-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Nice job guys. I thought the actors were great and the piece totally worked for me. I thought the color grade could have been a bit less blue and more towards black and white. Other than that I thought you succeeded completely in what you were going for. Nice job.

jasonthewho
11-10-2009, 01:46 AM
This was a fun film. I thought the laugh track was a little loud, but it was fast paced and entertaining. Good, committed actors.

I would have preferred if the setting had been a show like the Jerry Springer show. Then the laughs, boos, etc. could be coming from the live studio audience. Obviously that would be a lot harder/more expensive to do, but I think it would have been more effective with this kind of humor.

The little after credits clip at the end was hilarious.

Blaine
11-10-2009, 12:13 PM
The laugh track didn't work at all for me. I was never able to get into this movie because of it. It would be interesting to what this again without the laugh track.

lawriejaffa
11-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Right - now this is a very peculiar 'film' - as its perhaps comes across far too much as just a television sketch for me! The art of producing a short film is not an easy one (god knows i fail routinely) but a truncated scene from a feature or a sketch is rarely effective in achieving a short cinematic portrayal.

The 'laugh' track is cinematic suicide. Of all things please consider its immediate removal (and permanent destruction.) You invite hatred and criticism, scorn from the beasts of the forest, angry snarls from the corners of seagulls beaks - for every moment we hear...

hahahahhaa - to the joke we just missed from the obscuring laughter.

The performances are acceptable enough but the Dracula chap is far too annoying - manic and high pitched. He is quite frankly irritating.

The set up however is hilarious! Brilliant idea, and the script while it meanders a little unnecessarily - is amusing enough!

Production design and cinematogrphy seemed fine!

namelok
12-24-2009, 02:26 AM
Well, finally edited bloopers from vii.
It was hard but fun shooting this on english :)
See ya at betrayalFest :)

Chris Messineo
02-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Awesome blooper reel.