PDA

View Full Version : Making clothes look very aged / rotten.

Christian Vincent Jung
09-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Hello to all! :)
I would like to hear if anyone has some tricks on how to age clothing and make it dirty besides rubbing it in dirt, sand and grass...

The idea is that a set of clothing the was once very elegant, many many years later has become warn, torn, aged, moulded and genereally disgusting.

I'm trying by applying wet tea and coffee to get the dirt/age effect, but does anyone have better ideas?

Thx!

scylla
09-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Does this help at all, Christian?

http://www.costumes.org/advice/costcraftsmanual/tmpjk15.htm

I'm thinking that as far as trousers go, you'd probably need to concentrate on distressing the bum and knees as much as anything. What about sitting and wiggling around on some damp mud, just to sort of get it ingrained into the fabric and then crawling around on your hands and knees in the same to get the fabric in the knees worn out a bit and then rubbing your dirty hands into the thigh area of the fabric legs? Then wash the trousers lightly just to get the surface muck off and go at it again until the desired wear is achieved.

Could be kinda fun and I'm kiling myself laughing now because I'm thinking that this post sounds kinda kinky, but my intentions are innocent, absolutely :)

Christian Vincent Jung
09-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks a lot, it looks very interesting! :)

Could be kinda fun and I'm kiling myself laughing now because I'm thinking that this post sounds kinda kinky, but my intentions are innocent, absolutely :)

Right! ;)

lbwoods
11-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Although my costume experience is limited, I have seen the wardrobe department age clothing by using fabric dye. Also you can use a product called "Schmutz" it's a clean dirt designed for ageing fabric (comes in powder or stick form) and can be ordered online from companies like hollynorth.com

also using white stick deoderant or colored hairspray will also allow you to do quick dirtying.

lowercase
11-28-2009, 02:01 PM
take varying grades of sandpaper to the edges of cuffs, collars and anywhere else you want distressed or worn through. also a small torch to burn holes...be careful, use outside, well ventilated area, fire extinguisher...common sense.
-k-

ggoggin
04-30-2010, 06:33 AM
borrow a cement mixer, put in a few bricks, rough stones etc and put the costume in and then run the mixer.

thats what penny rose did for the POTC rotten, gross pirates costumes. hope that helps