PDA

View Full Version : Breakup and moire in 7d pans

philiplipetz
09-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Take a look at the full resolution version of a street scene filmed with a preproduction 7d. Make sure you look at the full resolution version. http://ceehere.com/Motion-Picture-and-Television/Equipment/Canon-7D-Pre-production-Test/9669999_Ra8cc#643358283_p394R-X2-LB

When the 7d pans up there is heavy moire on the building to the left of the frame. When the camera pans down to people crossing the street there is breakup on the leading edges of faces, but no apparent breakup on the edges of the stationary objects.

At first i thought the breakup was a focus issue but then I saw that as the pan returned to street level the edges of the faces in the crosswalk were normal, but then as the background traffic created increased background movement the faces started to breakup where they overlapped with moving objects, at the leading edges

Barry_Green
09-18-2009, 10:07 AM
You shouldn't judge off of this. That page says, at the bottom:

Please note image is more compressed than usual and may have some edge enhancement added in processing for playout on this site

So whether that heavy moire, or the horrible muddy trees, are normal or not, cannot or should not be judged from this clip. But it definitely gives us something to look out for in the production versions to see if it happens.

Can we get the raw clip?

philiplipetz
09-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Mark Forman of ceehere.com, please look at your uncompressed film and tell us if there is still heavy moire in the buildings, mud in the trees on the pan down, and breakup of the faces in the crosswalk after the truck passes.

Even better, but after you cast your NYU trained eye on the film, could you please post small segments of the film as it pans to the building and then as it returns to the people in the crosswalk.

thank you, it will be invaluable information for all those of us who have preordered a 7d.

Michael Olsen
09-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Good points, Barry.

I look forward to camera testing! :)