PDA

View Full Version : Help with ffmpeg switches

bekrawa
09-17-2009, 04:20 PM
My Samsung LN46A750 HDTV supports a very narrow range of wrappers/codecs (see the attached matrix). Can someone help with the correct switches in ffmpeg to achieve one of the supported 1080 audio/video combinations? The following example produces very good play-back on an old laptop, but isn't supported by the TV:

ffmpeg -i c:\temp\00003.mts -vcodec mpeg4 -sameq -deinterlace -acodec aac c:\temp\00003.mp4

pailes
09-19-2009, 01:18 AM
My guess is, that you need to solve out which H.264 settings you need to exactly match the profiles required by the TV. You see in the row which is labeled with MP4 that full resolution is only supported using basic and main profiles. Maybe this will help you out:

http://rob.opendot.cl/index.php/useful-stuff/h264-profiles-and-levels/

It's sometimes really important to exactly match the profile requirements because there are dozens of settings to the H.264 encoder and sometimes the hardware simply doesn't support all combinations.

bekrawa
09-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks for solving that riddle for me. I didn't know what the BP and MP stood for. I have been doing a lot of trial and error encoding to see what the TV will take, and it's even narrower than the chart suggests, because as you noted, it only supports specific profiles - even for mpeg2.