PDA

View Full Version : New Pentax K-X

Ian-T
09-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Didn't see anything anwhere about this so I thought I'd post it here. After the Canon 7D nothing else really excites me but tomorrow is the release of the new Pentax K-X. Nothing extrememly fancy...it does have 24p but only at 720p. See link below:

http://photorumors.com/2009/09/16/breaking-new-pentax-k-x-coming-out-tomorrow/comment-page-1/#comment-3158

Newman
09-16-2009, 05:17 PM
look who just joined the party,...welcome pentax, and please fasten your seatbelt, it's gonna be a bumpy ride....lol

bwwd
09-16-2009, 09:40 PM
1000 euro for this and only 720p + lower megapixel number than K7 which is cheaper.
You must be kidding pentax right ?
No adapters from pentax to canon lens,nikon lenses are with 1mm difference so any adapter will just add too much and... yeah.Not many options here.

bwwd
09-17-2009, 07:49 AM
OK so price is 600 gbp so its cheapest 24p DSLR,but lack of canon and nikon adapters and regular non li-on batteries scare a little bit

shaocaholica
09-17-2009, 09:50 AM
OK so price is 600 gbp so its cheapest 24p DSLR,but lack of canon and nikon adapters and regular non li-on batteries scare a little bit

Pentax has one of the largest if not largest communities for adapting classic lenses which make for much easier cine work. Manual focus and manual iris m42 along with non-AF K mount. Not to mention pentax has a pretty decent lens lineup as well. Just not sure about manual controls and codec on the KX.

TrueIndigo
09-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Yes, those are the big unknowns: codec quality/type, manual control in video mode, live view duration of shots/heating issues? Maybe there will be an upper level model next year with a good quality 1080 video implementation for a decent price, attractive to people who already have a Pentax K lens collection (like me). But probably still no articulated LCD and 25p (for PAL uses), so I'm not holding my breath.

youngindiefilms
09-18-2009, 06:07 AM
What are you guys talking about, 1000 Euro? The K-x is a entry level camera, so don't expect anything too fancy. The official price for the kit with 18-55 lens is just below US$ 650 (Europe 600 Euros, UK 600 Pounds).

I've shot professionally with Pentax film and especially digital SLRs, never had a problem. Wide range of lenses, Pentax has awesome glass, especially you can get older manual focusing Pentax glass for next to nothing. Tamron, Sigma, Tokina and lots of others, adapt to Leica R, doesn't get much better than that!

I used to have several Pentax DSLRs which used AA batteries, never had any issues. Plus point, if you ever run out of juice you can easily buy batteries in any convenience store.
I think for the price point it will be a decent camera.

here are the details:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09091703pentaxkx.asp

BTW... how about getting the red version. You can say you have a "Red" camera to pull in some clients :) ROFL

Barry_Green
09-20-2009, 11:30 PM
$650 including lens? Full cinema sensor? 720/24p?

Er... what am I missing here... why isn't this being talked about more?

Rakesh Jacob
09-21-2009, 12:03 AM
does this thing have manual control in video mode?

Barry_Green
09-21-2009, 12:05 AM
I don't know anything about it. That's a good question, but even if the answer's "no", it's still 30% less expensive than the body-only D90... almost half the cost of the D90 w/lens package.

$650... and that's MSRP.

Barry_Green
09-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Just looked through the owner's manual for the higher-line K-7, and it looks like you can manually set the iris, but the ISO gets stuck in AUTO. I wouldn't expect the entry-level K-X to have more features than the K-7, so... preliminary guess is that no, it won't have fully lockable exposure.

Rakesh Jacob
09-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Crazy!! I just bought a refurb T1i with kit lens for $729, messing around while I wait for the 7D to proliferate. Got here Thrusday night and been taking videos everyday since and editing stupid clips everynight LOL

Also I'm surprised the K-7 wasn't talked about too much, I thought the image quality was really quite nice. It has aperture control in video mode but iso and shutter are auto, and it has audio in. Could have gotten the drop on the 7D if they didn't criple it.

youngindiefilms
09-21-2009, 01:06 AM
Pentax has always kind of (undeservedly) been in the shadow of Canon and Nikon.
I doubt that you will get full manual control on the K-x but it's only a entry level camera not made with the film maker in mind, you get what you pay for.

bimdas
09-21-2009, 05:00 AM
pentax has the best shake reduction method on the market. It stabalises the image at the sensor so every lens gets to benefit. And I hear the shake reduction will work for video as well.

TrueIndigo
09-21-2009, 05:02 AM
Nice to see a bit of CinemaScope Johnny.

DvxHerb
09-21-2009, 06:12 AM
Just found this promo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCYlqRIVvcs

Rakesh Jacob
09-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Nice to see a bit of CinemaScope Johnny.

Thnx man, honestly it's more like a bad habit or addiction. I try not to do it, but 16:9 just isn't cool looking enough anymore LOL

bwwd
09-21-2009, 08:21 AM
pentax k7 footage looks really nice ,i still cant find any video from k-x ,maybe on some asian websites or forums ,i dont know... theres not much to discuss until we see the footage.It has probably just AE lock like 500d and nikons.

youngindiefilms
09-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Just found this promo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCYlqRIVvcs

Are you serious? This is from Pentax? And what's with "its Full HD"? Total BS, false advertising. They better give their marketing people the correct specs, not cool.
Also not cool, in the background showing off their range of lenses, problem here is at least 50% of them are not in production anymore (300F2.8 and so on).
When I was still a Pentax user it was a real problem to get some of those pro lenses, that's the reason I've converted some time ago.
Luckily for all Pentax users times have changed, Pentax came out with some great new glass and Sigma and Tamron are producing more glass for Pentax as well now.

Still, I don't like this ad, and the guy... I don't know, he kind of makes me sad.. is it the way he looks?

bwwd
09-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Anybody knows if AA batteries will recharge in camera or you must buy new ones each time OR take them out and recharge in separate charger ?

Pentax scaling isnt so bad as nikon:
http://www.vimeo.com/6298545

TrueIndigo
09-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Johnny -- you're right; now that everyone can shoot 16:9 (which is almost 1.85), CinemaScope seems more cinema-like compared to a widescreen ratio now associated with TV. I think it makes footage look more "official", in the same way a B/W still photograph can appear more professional than a colour photograph, simply because most consumers shoot colour by default and B/W is a creative decision. When I was a kid I used to shoot super-8 with a top/bottom cardboard mask in front of the lens -- I wanted CinemaScope even then! There's something about that wide shape I like, because of the association with cinema history, and the fact that many current movies are shot in that ratio. Ironically, CinemaScope was originally used to promote a difference between cinema and 4:3 TV. Now, with the adoption of widescreen TV, CinemaScope once again remains a way to differentiate a cinema intent amongst the default of 16:9 imagery.

bwwd -- I don't know if the Pentax charges batteries in-camera (but I doubt it). I use re-chargeable AAs for my Zoom H2 sound recorder; I recharge them with a separate Unicross re-charger (the chargers are quite cheap).

bwwd
09-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Thats very odd choice of battery type pentax.I dont want to pay every single time for new AA battery x4 when i want to record something.
Why evey camera with video must have some retarded illness ,if not pixel skipping stairs then 30p and now here we have dumb choice of batteries.
Price is great ,i hope that its as good as k7 ,not too contasty/ crispy like canon and not too soft like nikon.

youngindiefilms
09-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Batteries won't charge in the Pentax.

Rakesh Jacob
09-21-2009, 08:45 PM
I think the battery choice is fine and has it's advantages. Seriously you have seen rechargable AA batteries right?

bwwd
09-21-2009, 09:15 PM
I would like to buy one battery and recharge like in canon or nikon cams in charger not throw away 4 AA batteries after 3 recharges.
Was it that hard to make a socket for some li-on accu?
I hate those regular batteries ,they should use them for some toys and tv pilots not for cameras,not 4 !.
This cam could be made like psp so you dont even think about battery that much and you can recharge while its in the device.

I wondering how long they will last during video recoding.

youngindiefilms
09-21-2009, 10:46 PM
I would like to buy one battery and recharge like in canon or nikon cams in charger not throw away 4 AA batteries after 3 recharges.
Was it that hard to make a socket for some li-on accu?
I hate those regular batteries ,they should use them for some toys and tv pilots not for cameras,not 4 !.
This cam could be made like psp so you dont even think about battery that much and you can recharge while its in the device.

I wondering how long they will last during video recoding.

There are rechargeable batteries, Eneloop for example. However those will never last as long as the normal AA batteries. Back then shooting with Pentax cameras I used to buy and use not the normal AA batteries but some special double packed batteries... how to describe that..
its basically as if you took two AA batteries and make one battery pack out of it, then use two of those. They're more expensive than the regular AA ones but last very long (mind though, at the time there was no such thing as video on SLRs and I used them for photo shooting only).

TrueIndigo
09-22-2009, 02:02 AM
bwwd -- re-chargeable AA batteries are better now than they were several years ago. I find after many re-chargings they still hold a reasonable charge, though the idea is to always carry plenty of spares (and a pack of normal AAs in case they do suddenly go down). I prefer using batteries like this compared to a properietry battery, for reasons of cost and availability. And previously, I would have said to avoid future problems of a unique manufacturer battery no longer being available, but since camera obsolescence kicks in faster these days that's probably no longer an issue!

bwwd
09-22-2009, 07:57 AM
It looks kinda like a toy,but i think it will be huge hit anyway because of its price.
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/assets/27837.jpg

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/316/586/pentax_27.jpg

youngindiefilms
09-22-2009, 08:49 AM
I prefer using batteries like this compared to a properietry battery, for reasons of cost and availability. And previously, I would have said to avoid future problems of a unique manufacturer battery no longer being available, but since camera obsolescence kicks in faster these days that's probably no longer an issue!

That's what I always loved about earlier Pentax D-SLRs. When you're traveling chances are there is a time you run out and you won't be able to get proprietary batteries. AA batteries are in every regular supermarket or even small shops.

HHL
09-22-2009, 10:50 AM
OK...so who's going to be the ginea pig from this forum? Somone needs to buy this thing and post footage. (Where's Kholi when you need him?...lol) I'm aware that it hasn't hit the street yet, but it would be very interesting to see. My interest is for multi-camera shooting. I'd like to see what it can do first. (I also know just by asking the question, someone is going to volunteer me....lol)

bwwd
09-22-2009, 11:19 AM
http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2009/09/k-x-and-my-first-opinions.html

http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2009/07/k-m-battery-issue-solution-and-timing.html

HHL
09-22-2009, 01:40 PM
(http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2009/09/k-x-and-my-first-opinions.html)http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2009/09...-opinions.html (http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2009/09/k-x-and-my-first-opinions.html)

(http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2009/09/k-x-and-my-first-opinions.html)http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2009/07...nd-timing.html (http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2009/07/k-m-battery-issue-solution-and-timing.html)
(http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2009/09/k-x-and-my-first-opinions.html)

Thanks for the review post. Interesting. Sony sensor? Cool....I wonder when they'll join the game. (Maybe some insight to what their slr sensor will look like once they do?) Battery problems...bummer, but not a BIG deal for what I'm doing with it. 24P....VERY cool. (720...OK....not the best, but for this time frame, not bad) Cost....WOWZER! Street price will be interesting on this one. (I don't need lenses, so we'll see what the "body only" price is.)

No 5min limit like the d90 and others....very cool! (see company site with specs)

If the footage is as good as the d90 (as bad as the d90)....this will be the indie-cheap-multi-camera-shoot-king!

I'm not losing sleep over this, but I defineatly have my eye on it. 7D looks like the REAL DEAL. For newbies, this may be a the "spend 1,500 and have two cameras +some old lenses with adapters, some cheap lights....baddah bing....baddah boom." Interesting indeed!

stip
09-22-2009, 05:13 PM
....baddah bing....baddah boom.

youngindiefilms
09-22-2009, 08:16 PM
OK...so who's going to be the ginea pig from this forum? Somone needs to buy this thing and post footage. (Where's Kholi when you need him?...lol) I'm aware that it hasn't hit the street yet, but it would be very interesting to see. My interest is for multi-camera shooting. I'd like to see what it can do first. (I also know just by asking the question, someone is going to volunteer me....lol)

Although I have sold off most of my Pentax gear I'm somewhat tempted to buy the red or navy colored limited edition. But I don't know, rather save up for something else, 7D? I don't know, I have a 5D Mark II (for photo use mainly) and I don't really like to use SLRs for filming. 24 or no 24p. The form factor is the major turn down for me and the fact that they don't have a second hole on the bottom to fix them safely to camera plates.

HHL
09-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Although I have sold off most of my Pentax gear I'm somewhat tempted to buy the red or navy colored limited edition. But I don't know, rather save up for something else, 7D? I don't know, I have a 5D Mark II (for photo use mainly) and I don't really like to use SLRs for filming. 24 or no 24p. The form factor is the major turn down for me and the fact that they don't have a second hole on the bottom to fix them safely to camera plates.

I'm with you all the way...I'm tempted too. I understand the form factor disadvantages also. I will say though that I am starting to LIKE the fact that no one really cares about a person carrying a camera (compared to a video camera) ....wierd.... to me there isn't that much of a difference, but in a public place, it's no big deal. I WISH the GF1 would have been 24P....it has 60P....but I HATE 30P. I REALLY like how smallish that camera is for that reason. Disadvantages for sure...several advantages too. I am VERY excited about this price point though. Just imagine....these things will be selling for 300.00 (body only) in about a year! WOW!

youngindiefilms
09-23-2009, 06:35 AM
I guess if you have control over your environment the auto iso is not that big a issue on the K-x. But for that reason (auto iso) I wouldn't get it for video purposes, I'd just get it for my collection and as a Pentax enthusiast. The best deal for cinematic work still seems to be the upcoming 7D, I'll borrow one when it's out and might even buy it as backup for my 5DM2, but main use as stills camera.
I agree with you on the low profile of SLRs for shooting video. Most people don't know they shoot video and that'll stay that way for some time I guess so you're getting away with it. However if you're in the UK you're not in for a treat. Photographers get harassed by Police and security guards on a regular basis shooting stills. Now they could argue, I'm shooting video, not stills :)
Anyways, it's quite exciting and there will happen a lot in the next year in that area.

jrod81
09-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Issues that I see with this camera that I would love to have answered:
1. Does it shut off after a certain amount of recording time?
2. How long will the batteries last while shooting video?
3. Did I understand correctly from other posts that it has an audio option?
4. Is the sensor size and other elements going to be just as good in low light as the 5d and 7d?

HHL
09-28-2009, 10:24 PM
1. Does it shut off after a certain amount of recording time?

...according to their site documentation, it doesn't have limits, (storage size is only limit)

youngindiefilms
09-28-2009, 10:50 PM
2. Remains to be seen, but probably similar to the K7
3. See specs
4. APS-C sized sensor, theoretically not as good as 5D, could be as good as 7D but really depends on the sensor and also software

jrod81
09-29-2009, 03:25 PM
a professor on campus is pretty set on buying 2 or 3 of these for our film dept. instead of one 7d... if that works out I will check one out and shoot with it for a day or so and see if i can answer some of these questions for us.
i did call pentax today and it doesn't look like manual controls are going to be an option in video mode... as expected!
right now, my main concern is that battery issue and how long they will last in video mode. i hate losing 60p and 1080 but for the price i can deal with it i suppose...

youngindiefilms
09-29-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm looking forward seing your footage. Make sure you post it here. Although I'm super tempted to get one of the limited ones, just for collecting I probably won't buy it. Gotta watch the money flow these days.

jrod81
09-29-2009, 10:47 PM
What are we thinking will make this camera better than the D90???

youngindiefilms
09-30-2009, 06:07 AM
Chances are there is less wobble than on D90 and it's definitely cheaper.

HHL
09-30-2009, 11:48 PM
For certain:

1. No 5min limit.
2. Cheaper.

justin_j_nyc
10-02-2009, 02:59 PM
How about editing workflows! Can we talk about Final Cut Pro workflow? What's the best way to bring motion-jpeg avi files into Final Cut Pro / FCP ? Or can I just edit in motion-jpeg. If I'm not mistaken motion-jpeg is a "long GOP" format so it doesn't require a lot of processing to edit.

Also, is it advisable to convert motion-jpeg to Apple ProRes? I also heard on the web about JES Deinterlacer for transoding. Any thoughts.

So let's hear the feedback on workflows!

bwwd
10-02-2009, 05:00 PM
First video from pentax K-X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHxZ3Z7rsRY&feature=channel_page

Its SOO amazing dont you think guys ?:shocked:
auto 24p film look.

I dont know if those pentax guys really get it,24p and no video showcase ? I would for free do some demo for them and they still dont have any vids on website showing K-X video.
This is so weird in era of internet nobody with KX in asia have access to wwweb to upload something...
Some or dare i say most photographers dont have ANY clue how expensive a couple of years ago was achieving shallow DOF in video ,now technology is here and they complaining about auto focusing and dont quite care about video.
If they only knew the prices of film stock and panavision rental charges...this is crazy
And its 24.00 not 23.976.
Good thing is not all of them are shiny like toys.

youngindiefilms
10-02-2009, 09:31 PM
How about editing workflows! Can we talk about Final Cut Pro workflow? What's the best way to bring motion-jpeg avi files into Final Cut Pro / FCP ? Or can I just edit in motion-jpeg. If I'm not mistaken motion-jpeg is a "long GOP" format so it doesn't require a lot of processing to edit.

Also, is it advisable to convert motion-jpeg to Apple ProRes? I also heard on the web about JES Deinterlacer for transoding. Any thoughts.

So let's hear the feedback on workflows!

That's got nothing to do with this thread and there are other threads already discussing this!

TrueIndigo
10-03-2009, 03:29 AM
Found this website about Pentax DSLR firmware hacks:

http://pentax-hack.info/index.html

Not clear to me though what is currently do-able, particularly from a film making perspective. It's an open project but at the moment mostly showing pretty arcane programming data which is beyond me. Seems to be at an early stage, but might be worth checking out later for anything which might improve video specs for the K7 and the K-x.

youngindiefilms
10-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Found this website about Pentax DSLR firmware hacks:

http://pentax-hack.info/index.html

Not clear to me though what is currently do-able, particularly from a film making perspective. It's an open project but at the moment mostly showing pretty arcane programming data which is beyond me. Seems to be at an early stage, but might be worth checking out later for anything which might improve video specs for the K7 and the K-x.

By the time they include features that you're waiting for Pentax might wake up and beat them to it :)

TrueIndigo
10-03-2009, 04:40 PM
You could be right. I don't mind who does it as long as it gets done. Hopefully by next year another generation of video DSLRs will be that little bit closer to what we want for video, or the hackers may make such features available. Pentax have often brought a certain innovation to their cameras, so perhaps there might be unexpected video price/performance for us with their next camera, since video capability should become fairly normal with DSLRs next year.
Cheers.

youngindiefilms
10-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I think eventually we will get more and more features for video on D-SLRs but it will take a while. I believe Pentax doesn't care much for the independent film maker and their target is rather a mass market than a niche. So it might take a while for them to realize that they might sell more cameras with those features we want.

On the other hand, there is always the Canon 7D, most definitely the best D-SLR for indie film makers if you have the money.

ydgmdlu
10-03-2009, 11:26 PM
On the other hand, there is always the Canon 7D, most definitely the best D-SLR for indie film makers if you have the money.
Don't let the 5D and GH1 fans catch you saying that! :)

TrueIndigo
10-04-2009, 04:43 AM
My reading of it is: 5DII has best low light performance, 7D best overall picture quality (codec/frame rates), GH1 best video camera useability (mirrror-less live view, articulated LCD, broad lens adapter options). So no clear outright winner, but I agree with Marc the 7D is perhaps the best compromise at the moment. Regarding Pentax, I hope they do recognise the importance of the video capability for next year, because their affordable cameras could be very attractive for film makers (particularly to make possible two-camera shooting even on a modest budget). They can't compete directly against the inertia of the big two, so being clever with unexpected features is a possible way forward for them to create a product difference. And I hope this difference may include video functionality. For example, it was interesting that the K7 offers a frame shape of 3:2 as well as 16:9. I don't personally find that an attractive ratio myself, but if they offer CinemaScope next time, I'm interested!

youngindiefilms
10-04-2009, 04:56 AM
Don't let the 5D and GH1 fans catch you saying that! :)

I don't care what they say, have a 5D Mark II myself :)
I don't like the GH1 because it lacks live video output to a external monitor. For any serious work you need a bigger screen. With this shallow depth of field focusing becomes very critical and the small screens just don't cut it.

bwwd
10-04-2009, 08:30 PM
If it wasnt for 24p then i wouldnt care for this cam,those guys must realize this soon DONT RELEASE DSLR WITHOUT 24P never ever again.
Thank Yous.
This is only a number to set on sensor readout its not like with tape you dont have to slow down mechanic parts to slower pull the tape.Its like writing 24 and thats it,but next time write 23.976 mr pentax.

youngindiefilms
10-04-2009, 08:36 PM
If it wasnt for 24p then i wouldnt care for this cam,those guys must realize this soon DONT RELEASE DSLR WITHOUT 24P never ever again.
Thank Yous.
This is only a number to set on sensor readout its not like with tape you dont have to slow down mechanic parts to slower pull the tape.Its like writing 24 and thats it,but next time write 23.976 mr pentax.

??? Neither the K7 nor the K-x have 24p!

bwwd
10-04-2009, 08:44 PM
k-x has 24p ,download vid,its 24p not 23.976

youngindiefilms
10-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Oops my bad, sorry. I'm really getting confused... why are we complaining again? Oh, right. Because no manual control, not because no 24p. Ha ha ha.

bwwd
10-05-2009, 05:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AutfV7c-eSA&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9OgmB452cs&fmt=18

youngindiefilms
10-05-2009, 10:22 AM
First one looks real bad. Out of focus... not much to see...
second one... I don't know. Doesn't seem attractive. And the 3:2 format looks quite weird on video. Also seems like there might be quite some wobble... but depends on what focal lenght she/he shot that first scene. Could have been a long lens but still.. I think it's gonna be a wobble cam.
But for a entry level camera and at this price point we shouldn't complain :)

bwwd
10-05-2009, 12:39 PM
We have to wait until something sane will appear with proper framing .
Not much to judge yet but if you guys will see some footy from KX please post links here.
And this format ... 3:2? Is this serious ? Then whats the resolution 1***x720 ?

youngindiefilms
10-06-2009, 07:12 AM
They added the 3:2 framing which is the normal framing for stills. Basically it's a added bonus so nothing to complain about. No one has to use it :) I think the K7 also has this feature and a weird resolution to go with it.

HHL
10-06-2009, 08:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9OgmB452cs&fmt=18 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9OgmB452cs&fmt=18)

Hey guys! Is this video showing the aperture locked down? It looks like it is...

Also...3:2...OK...whatever....interesting though, some of us who have 2x anamorphic adapters could acutally shoot on 3:2 and we would get a more usable 16:9ish...?? I wonder if you can "trick" the ISO similar to the D90? We'll see....I'm not holding my breath on this camera, but I'm watching developments with it...

TrueIndigo
10-06-2009, 11:07 AM
As far as I know with the K7 you can either lock exposure before recording or use aperture priority in video mode, but in either case ISO remains automatic and presumably will compensate for whatever you do, which is a shame.

justin_j_nyc
10-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Are there really threads discussing codec work flow for this Pentax model and motion-jpeg specifically? If so, please provide a link or links.

bwwd
10-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Motion jpeg is very easy to edit and searching frame by frame is very fast.
I think its being used in DSLR's because it doesnt need much processing power to capture frames.Fastest codec for capturing fullscreen vids of your desktop.

bwwd
10-14-2009, 08:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeGCEKwrbCc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP92f-sJonU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9FETurD5FA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm9W0SJc9OM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2jsUs3I0PQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFRuRe-33sU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxM6GaJx4P0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVKp2umFk2c

I think ill pass this cam

killacam
10-16-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm not as concerned with those clips (all cameras are capable of crappy footage) as I am with this from the review linked to from the first video:

The K-x is imperfect, though. The so-called 'jello' effect, in which objects which move laterally across the frame appear skewed to one side, was a frequent bugbear during our testing. Fast pans, or vertical objects moving from side to side often wobbled badly.

The Pentax seemed more sensitive to this than other HD-DSLRs we've tested, with even small amounts of camera shake producing pronounced wobble.

argh- bad jello would basically put this camera on the same level as the d5000 and out of consideration for any serious use. hopefully those results weren't typical and we'll get more info later on.

well at least there's no time limit on video recording clips. :sighs:

bwwd
10-24-2009, 02:43 PM
gRgg5q_tQeY

I love You miss moire http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif

HHL
10-25-2009, 09:19 PM
FYI. This guy (as far as ISO) didn't know to use the AE Lock button. Here's the link where he figured this out. (Not like this "fixes" anything, but it does have the AE lock option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AQzJE1tdI&feature=player_embedded

Eddy Robinson
10-27-2009, 02:51 PM
An extensive (and largely positive) review of the K-x is now up:
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs/pentax-k-x-642482/review?artc_pg=1

Highlights: excellent still image quality, good 720p video, jello is a problem but the in-camera sensor adjustment for image stabilization fixes a lot of that, kit lens is great value.

zeGCEKwrbCc&hd=1

Here's an example of what it can do (and some failings too, eg auto ISO is visible). If they would have an option for manual ISO (firmware-able, surely) it would be quite a winner at its $600 price point.

jrod81
10-27-2009, 11:42 PM
thanks for that review, that is very helpful...
does it have an hdmi output on it?
what are the audio options here? is there anything at all on the cam?

jrod81
10-27-2009, 11:43 PM
also did you guys see that the 24minute cut off? did i read that right?

jrod81
10-28-2009, 12:22 AM
i am sorry to post 3 things in a row but could someone tell me what 3:2 is all about?

jrod81
10-28-2009, 10:47 AM
ran the questions by my professor and here is his response to them:

1. there is no hdmi from what i understand, but is there anyway to run it to a monitor with other connections? or better yet... to a laptop?

-- According the Pentax website: AV out Video out: NTSC, PAL. I doubt it will go into a laptop via USB live. This will give you SD monitoring, which is fine for most uses. It is not ideal for checking focus.

2. what about audio? i saw a forum member say there is no audio input at all, just a built in mic. this isn't the end of the world right? i mean i can just capture my audio separately anyway? it might be annoying when i do my own one man documentary work but for my thesis i will have a boom guy anyway, so this is not a big deal right? i have been looking at the zoom h4n since that is what most 7d users are using... that should work with the k-x too right?

-- Pentax does not say much about audio in general. If it has a built-in mic then you can at least synch easily. The Zoom h4n looks cool and is relatively inexpensive. It looks small too, which should make things better overall.

3. what about editing w/ fcp? is motion jpeg going to give me any fits? will i have to convert it all to prores before i start editing?

-- It saves files as AVI, which kinda sucks. Motion JPEG should not be an issue, but AVI might. You may find yourself transcoding into quicktime files so FCP behaves. It is intraframe compressed so it should transcode pretty fast.

MSpencer
10-29-2009, 09:34 AM
i'm thinking about getting one of these cause it's not a bad price. I've been shooting with pentax lenses for awhile.

Crimson_Fluid
11-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Not sure if I missed reading this but does it have native 24p or 24p with the pulldown?

stip
11-05-2009, 08:50 PM
It has severe aliasing problems, more distracting than any other vDSLR :(

e-steve
12-17-2009, 01:11 PM
The K-x is apparently on sale at Amazon right now for $460 if you use the following code at checkout:
GWFC2BUP

Pretty cheap...

TrueIndigo
12-18-2009, 06:18 AM
"Could someone tell me what 3:2 is all about?" -- the Pentax K-x shoots video at 1280 x 720 (16:9 aspect ratio). The Pentax K-7 (a more expensive model) also shoots 720p video plus a larger video frame size (can't remember what it is now, but it's smaller than 1920 x 1080) and this has an aspect ratio of 3:2.

MSpencer
12-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Has anyone bought one and or tried one out. I've seen newer footage on vimeo and some of it looks pretty decent for it's price. and now with that amazon code that's 50 bucks off... Thanks e-steve

HHL
12-28-2009, 11:25 AM
http://www.vimeo.com/8296344

What do you guys think?

stip
12-30-2009, 04:09 AM
Several interesting "raw" K-x sample videos can be downloaded at dpreview for those who want to check the image quality without vimeo or youtube compression :)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page20.asp

@HHL
I like the K-x more and more so I finally ordered one. Besides the quite heavy moire issues it's a real bargain, has 24fps, aperture control and there are tons of old but great, fast and cheap lenses out there to use on it. Being that cheap I also have money left to give the caprock anti moire filter a try.

HHL
12-31-2009, 06:30 PM
@HHL
I like the K-x more and more so I finally ordered one. Besides the quite heavy moire issues it's a real bargain, has 24fps, aperture control and there are tons of old but great, fast and cheap lenses out there to use on it. Being that cheap I also have money left to give the caprock anti moire filter a try.

Hey Stip! That so cool! Would you mind posting some footy when you get it? I've been watching this for a while now....it NOT an "upgrade"....however, I think that it could redefine "micro-budget"....interesting anyway.

jasonthewho
01-11-2010, 12:16 AM
This article outlines how to get a specific shutter speed:

http://wildlifehealth.tennessee.edu/video/k-x.html

Haven't tried this yet, but it seems promising...

bwwd
01-11-2010, 05:20 PM
damn those stupid shutter speeds ,who need so random shutter speeds why they didnt left the damn thing like old first camcorders on 1/50 and without shutter speed options, this is retardness.1/24 shutter speed whats that ,blurry pentax joke? Or bad lowlight cheat.

rawfa
05-03-2010, 02:03 PM
With a price like this someone should just hack this darn camera so that you can control iso, shutter, etc...and while they are at it they should improve the compression codec, increase the bitrate and throw in fullHD ;-)
I've seen some very nice clips on vimeo. It's really a shame about all the video limitations.

richtrav
06-25-2010, 11:17 AM
"Could someone tell me what 3:2 is all about?" -- the Pentax K-x shoots video at 1280 x 720 (16:9 aspect ratio). The Pentax K-7 (a more expensive model) also shoots 720p video plus a larger video frame size (can't remember what it is now, but it's smaller than 1920 x 1080) and this has an aspect ratio of 3:2.

That's the 1.6mp mode in the menu and it has a resolution of 1536x1024. It uses the entire sensor for video instead of cropping the top and bottom for a 16:9 ratio. The K-7 is a really good camera for the money, well built with lots of features. The video has its issues like most of these cameras (specifically the Canonesque aliasing and quick overheating when it's hot outside, which leads to banding in the shadows). I hear the latest firmware allows a backdoor workaround for manual control of video. The inbody stabilization is nice to have.

For those interested, the K-7 seems to have a better video mode than the K-x. The best summary of them can be found here:

http://falklumo.blogspot.com/2009/10/lumolab-pentax-k-7-hd-video-quality.html

http://falklumo.blogspot.com/2009/10/lumolabs-pentax-k-x-hd-video-quality.html

TrueIndigo
07-01-2010, 06:16 AM
richtrav: "I hear the latest firmware allows a backdoor workaround for manual control of video." -- any more info on this, please? Any links? It sounds interesting.

Voytech
07-01-2010, 06:25 AM
Basically the camera has a slight delay in activating live view for video, during which you can lock settings. So you would go into M mode, set your shutter and aperture and then switch to movie mode and instantly press the AE lock button. I still don't think you can lock iso though. There's a good writeup on it in pentaxforums.com.

Here's a quick and dirty video I made yesterday on the K-x with the 18-55 kit lens. It's all handheld with no corrections whatsoever. Straight cuts, that's it.

TrueIndigo
07-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the clear explanation and thanks for taking time to post a clip.
Cheers.

richtrav
07-02-2010, 03:23 PM
richtrav: "I hear the latest firmware allows a backdoor workaround for manual control of video." -- any more info on this, please? Any links? It sounds interesting.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-forum/104903-guide-manually-controlling-video-exposure-k-7-a.html

Hope that helps

TrueIndigo
07-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the link, mate. Haven't been on pentaxforums for a while...

christriplet
07-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Thinking about picking this up from BHphoto. Need an all around camera that shoots photos and hd video for a local animal shelter. Is it worth it? It will simply be another tool in the toolbox.

deltoidjohn
08-10-2010, 05:58 AM
As just another tool in the kit? Worth it for sure... as long as you're not expecting HD camcorder functionality.

It's a great little stills camera and offers some awesome features like in-body stabilisation & 4.7fps. The video mode is pretty scarce - you can control aperture and lock the AE but that's about it. It's usable for short clips as long as you are careful and have it well stabilised, but You wouldn't want it as your everyday camcorder.

christriplet
08-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks.