PDA

View Full Version : Rusalka

Sarah Daly
09-16-2009, 02:15 AM
In Slavic mythology, a rusalka (plural: rusalki) was a female ghost, water nymph, succubus or mermaid-like demon that dwelled in a waterway.

According to most traditions, the rusalki were fish-women, who lived at the bottom of rivers. In the middle of the night, they would walk out to the bank and dance in meadows. If they saw handsome men, they would fascinate them with songs and dancing, mesmerise them, then lead the person away to the river floor to live with them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d3/Rusalka_Bilibin.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rusalka_Bilibin.jpg

Susanne G.
09-16-2009, 02:48 AM
Beautiful theme. Is that an entry for a film?

Susanne

Sarah Daly
09-16-2009, 04:30 AM
Beautiful theme. Is that an entry for a film?

Susanne

Indeed it is Susanne and thanks! Script is ready to go - pre-production about to begin!

Rusalka will be a dark little fairytale with a slight twist on the existing folklore. Can't wait to get going.

USLatin
09-16-2009, 04:38 AM
Subscribed.

We have a Norse Mythology character in our current project.

Good luck!

Sarah Daly
09-16-2009, 06:30 AM
Subscribed.

We have a Norse Mythology character in our current project.

Good luck!

Thanks mate! Good luck to you too :)

Marlon Ladd
09-16-2009, 06:49 AM
That's a very interesting story. Good luck!

DarkElastic
09-16-2009, 07:06 AM
A Daly and Brewster collaberation... I can't wait :beer:

Chris_Keaton
09-16-2009, 07:37 AM
A Selkie? Look at you dipping into that mythology pool. Are you filming this?

Sarah Daly
09-16-2009, 07:46 AM
A Selkie? Look at you dipping into that mythology pool. Are you filming this?

Of sorts yep! And nah - just writing - the filming will be hired out to my production slaves :)

ZazaCast
09-16-2009, 08:23 AM
According to most traditions, the rusalki were fish-women, who lived at the bottom of rivers. In the middle of the night, they would walk out to the bank and dance in meadows. If they saw handsome men, they would fascinate them with songs and dancing, mesmerise them, then lead the person away to the river floor to live with them.

I know that girl! :grin:

Welcome to the fest, sounds like an interesting flick. :thumbup:

Sarah Daly
09-16-2009, 08:27 AM

Welcome to the fest, sounds like an interesting flick. :thumbup:

Hehe! I think we aaallll know that girl :)

And cheers! I aim to keep y'all interested!

DarkElastic
09-16-2009, 08:44 AM

Let me guess Zaza, your ex wife :Drogar-BlackEye(DBG
:violin::Drogar-Mark-10(DBG):violin::Drogar-Mark-10(DBG):violin::Drogar-Mark-10(DBG):violin:

Nitsuj
09-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Nice! I almost went with a succubus like flick myself. Glad somebody is doing it. ;)

ZazaCast
09-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Let me guess Zaza, your ex wife :Drogar-BlackEye(DBG

LMAO! :beer:

Sarah Daly
09-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Nice! I almost went with a succubus like flick myself. Glad somebody is doing it. ;)

I'm glad I am too! Can't beat a good myth. Thanks for stopping by Nitsuj!

Susanne G.
09-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Indeed it is Susanne and thanks! Script is ready to go - pre-production about to begin!

Rusalka will be a dark little fairytale with a slight twist on the existing folklore. Can't wait to get going.

I love fairytales - Good luck!

Rodney V. Smith
09-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Damn: I shoulda done a succubus. Good to see you in Sarah! Now whip those production slaves and make them dop your bidding!

Sarah Daly
09-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Damn: I shoulda done a succubus. Good to see you in Sarah! Now whip those production slaves and make them dop your bidding!

Whip cracking as we speak!

Thanks Rodney - Glad to be in! :)

AmyO
09-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Oooh, this sounds fun. Folklore is such a rich place to draw stories from. Can't wait to see how this turns out. :)

Sprocketboy
09-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Reminds me of the Sirens in Greek mythology. They use beautiful music to lure sailors. The sailors are so captivated by the music that they refuse to leave and end up starving themselves to death. I remember a former girlfriend with that kind of power, but I managed to escape her spell.

Brad S.
09-16-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm intrigued. Looking foward to seeing and hearing this one.

Sarah Daly
09-17-2009, 02:24 AM
Reminds me of the Sirens in Greek mythology. They use beautiful music to lure sailors. The sailors are so captivated by the music that they refuse to leave and end up starving themselves to death. I remember a former girlfriend with that kind of power, but I managed to escape her spell.

Yep a very similar deal - only main difference is that they live in small bodies of water rather than the sea. Guess this is probably to do with the geography of where the myth originated...Funny that each culture seems to have their equivalent though...something to do with men's fear of the seductive power of women. Fair enough. It can be scary. Kudos on the escaping Sprocketboy :)

And thanks Brad! Hope you'll like what you see and hear!

Tom Marshall
09-22-2009, 04:16 AM
Sarah! Glad to see you're going to be able to enter something after all. Best of luck! :beer:

Sarah Daly
09-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Sarah! Glad to see you're going to be able to enter something after all. Best of luck! :beer:

Hey thanks Tom! Managed to get my act together somewhat. Glad to see yours is coming along nicely too - sorry I couldn't help you out!

lyonfilms
09-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Sounds cool. Looking forward to it.

I know a few succubus...wait...what's the plural for that? Succubi? :)

Sarah Daly
10-06-2009, 02:21 AM
Update!

Actors confirmed. Shooting the 15th. Yikes! Gonna be close to the wire...

Chris_Keaton
10-06-2009, 06:41 AM
I was just going to ask how this was going. You'll have put up some shots soon, well at least of the actors.

Sprocketboy
10-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Sarah you can definitely make this happen even if you are shooting on the 15th. I guess it all depends on how much post work you are doing.

Sarah Daly
10-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Yep well fingers crossed Sprocketboy!

I'll get some shots up soon just for you Chris :)

Rodney V. Smith
10-06-2009, 02:14 PM
You can do it Sarah! I'm looking forward to this so you'd better do it.

Sarah Daly
10-06-2009, 03:13 PM
You can do it Sarah! I'm looking forward to this so you'd better do it.

Teehee thanks Rodney! I'd hate to let you down! :)

Sarah Daly
10-13-2009, 02:35 AM
Okay shooting deffo going ahead this Thursday - storyboards drawn, crew rounded up, all that good stuff...actress pics to follow later today...

Tom Marshall
10-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Nice! :beer:

Rodney V. Smith
10-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Good to hear. It will be good to see what you crazy kids are up to over there and see what your cast looks like.

Kevin E. Curry
10-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Looking forward to the BTS and screen grabs. Any chance of posting a photo of your storyboards, too? Always curious how people do theirs.

Sarah Daly
10-13-2009, 05:01 PM
K here are our actresses!

Rusalka: Nina Bhadreshwar

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/5167/rusalkaninabhadreshwar.jpg

Laura: Julia Dixon-Phillip

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5064/laurajuliadixon.jpg

(http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5064/laurajuliadixon.jpg)

Sarah Daly
10-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Looking forward to the BTS and screen grabs. Any chance of posting a photo of your storyboards, too? Always curious how people do theirs.

Sure! Here you are:

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/9695/page01.jpg

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Nice storyboards! I really have to start doing that.
I didn't even refer to a shot list this fest. I know it would only make me better so it's really quite stupid of me not to.

Can't wait to see what you do in this fest.

MAH

Sprocketboy
10-13-2009, 09:34 PM
My storyboards look like "cat scratch" compared to yours. Nice job. A big thumbs up to the actresses. Good luck.

EditPhish
10-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Nice storyboards... I may have to get permission from JTyner to post his... he can't draw worth a damn and we've gotten a few good laughs out of what they look like... might as well share a giggle or two ;)

Sarah Daly
10-14-2009, 02:11 AM
Hehe thanks guys - well I can't take the credit for the storyboards I'm afraid but yep - very pleased with em - taking a few risks cinematography wise but I'm confident it'll all come together!

lawriejaffa
10-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Hey there yep! Here are some pics i took of the location :)

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/6/39162420.jpg

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6802/36399891.jpg

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/5472/54383821.jpg

cinealma
10-14-2009, 12:16 PM
:beer: Looking good!

John G.

Kevin E. Curry
10-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks for posting the storyboards. It's something Devon and I have talked about doing, but haven't added it to the system yet!

My stickfigures wouldn't hold a candle to your storyboards.

Brickhouse
10-14-2009, 05:32 PM
i love the surreality of the locations!

RanRanBobandyMan
10-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Sweet concept. Hope this turns out as good as it sounds!

Sarah Daly
10-15-2009, 02:14 AM
Sweet concept. Hope this turns out as good as it sounds!

Thanks dude - me too! :)

Sarah Daly
10-15-2009, 02:17 AM
Thanks for posting the storyboards. It's something Devon and I have talked about doing, but haven't added it to the system yet!

My stickfigures wouldn't hold a candle to your storyboards.

Aww shucks - well as long as you know what you mean - doesn't really matter how artistically adept you are- but it's definitely a good way to force yourself to think in detail about shots and what you're trying to say visually before you go shoot, and also something to refer to on the day to keep you on track.

i love the surreality of the locations!

Why thank you! Pretty ain't they?

Shooting today so will see the fruits of our labour soon enough!

jasonthewho
10-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Best of luck with the shoot!

Marlon Ladd
10-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Good luck! Have fun!

Brickhouse
10-15-2009, 08:11 AM
What kind of camera will you be using?

lawriejaffa
10-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi there mate its getting shot oooooon....

HPX500 with a J series Canon 8x6 lens :)

Brickhouse
10-15-2009, 01:16 PM
So basically it will look awesome! can't wait

lawriejaffa
10-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Yep well you can make a film look ace with a cellphone too, so long as it compliments the narrative. Im shooting a short on a cell phone this weekend in fact!

Brickhouse
10-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Yeah but you can't argue that the nice stuff helps when it comes down to it.

Sarah Daly
10-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Well it looks very pretty thanks to a most talented crew - pretty much done and dusted and we're very happy with it. Now we wait :)

DarkElastic
10-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Don't wait too long and forget to upload it though :evil:

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-21-2009, 11:36 AM
So where are the grabs already? :)

Sprocketboy
10-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Yeah! I want some "grabs" too.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-21-2009, 11:53 AM
See! Your public demands it. :)

Denis Haineault
10-21-2009, 12:02 PM
When I first saw the word "rusalka", I got a big flashback of the game Quest for Glory IV...those who've played it will remember.

http://www.fief.org/kathleen/qg4/rusalka.jpg

Anyway, sorry for diverging... I am looking forward to checking this entry out.

Sarah Daly
10-22-2009, 02:30 AM
So where are the grabs already? :)

Ah but that would spoil the surprise wouldn't it?! I'm gonna keep schtum on this one guys but thanks for the interest!!

And thanks Denis - can't say I ever played that game but nice to get another pop culture Rusalka reference. I think my version may be a little different. Only a little mind!

Troy Ruff
10-22-2009, 07:34 AM
When I first saw the word "rusalka", I got a big flashback of the game Quest for Glory IV...those who've played it will remember.

http://www.fief.org/kathleen/qg4/rusalka.jpg

Anyway, sorry for diverging... I am looking forward to checking this entry out.

I remember that game, a long long time ago. It was a pretty fun game. But now there is Call of duty. : ) Zombies

karapetkov
10-22-2009, 07:36 AM
I know a few Rusalkas, yes. :bath:

ZazaCast
10-28-2009, 11:31 PM
How are the love birds doing????

Sarah Daly
10-29-2009, 07:01 PM
How are the love birds doing????

Hehe - just peachy thank you! :)

Ps. Poster's done - http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1143/rusalka.jpg

lawriejaffa
10-29-2009, 07:04 PM
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5129/rusalkab.jpg
(Resized for Sarah!)

Om Nom Nom
10-29-2009, 07:11 PM
the location looks beautiful! good luck!

Sarah Daly
10-30-2009, 03:55 AM
Why thank you sirs!

Matt Harris
10-30-2009, 09:49 AM
I love the mythology, sounds cool, i'm interested to see what you did with the subject matter.

ZazaCast
10-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Nice poster! Looking forward to this one, it's on the top of my watch list.
Cheers.

lawriejaffa
10-31-2009, 09:01 PM
Links for Rusalka are now working :)

EditPhish
11-01-2009, 02:19 AM
This one was tough... I always want to say something positive and try to be constructive...

Unfortunately, I was pretty bored. Some of it looked really pretty, but that's really all I can say good about it. It honestly didn't feel or look like a monster movie at all, even in it's concept I wouldn't say any character in the movie was a monster. It wasn't awful, but just wasn't great for me either.

Like I said, it did look pretty so keep working at it... story telling is tough... good story telling even tougher (and I don't claim to be any expert!)

MrFluffy
11-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Nicly shot, but I seem to have missed the monster.

lawriejaffa
11-01-2009, 10:41 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka
It is an unusual monster!

Denis Haineault
11-01-2009, 11:39 AM
I thought it looked and sounded quite good.

My main issue is that people who don't know what a Rusalka is (and won't bother to look it up) will likely not get it. I think it would have been greatly beneficial if you could somehow have demonstrated what a Rusalka is.

lyonfilms
11-01-2009, 11:51 AM
This short worked for me. i liked the quiet, lonely, haunting nature of it. Honestly, this type of pacing and music along with what I thought were pretty solid performances just all came together.

I like the fact that the Rusalka as a "monster" isn't instantly apparent. It is one of the reasons this worked for me. Monsters come in all different guises. :)

There were a number of shots in the first minute or so that just seemed way too soft (focus) for me, like they were just a touch off. Maybe it was on purpose but I found it a bit distracting.

Good work.

jasonthewho
11-01-2009, 07:05 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Your actress for Laura is fantastic, a real revelation. I didn't mind the Rusalka actress, but sometimes she veered into the theatrical, which is understandable given the part, but I would've reigned her in a little.

I enjoyed the opening of this, a good montage setting the mood, but I was disappointed in how Laura was introduced. I did not care at all for the moving into focus shot where she's practically falling off the side of the screen. I think what would have been stronger would be to really throw us into HER world after the title comes up. Show her really upset (the line "Why are you crying" caught me by surprise, I couldn't tell she was), and keep it nice and tight on her. After all, this is her story. I would like to be able to tell what the moment before was for her, maybe to even see it in the movie.

There were a couple of odd editing things in the movie. The cut at 3:09 is very odd. And at 4:34 we see headless bodies for far too long.

I really like the slow motion sequences with the creepy Rusalka talking sounds. Those fit the film and style well. I also think the last shot is excellent. It lets you wonder if this was all in her head or real. In the end, the result is the same.

The music was distracting for me from about 3:23 until the 5 min mark. I would have preferred no music at all to what was playing, but that's not to say a tastefully done score wouldn't work.

I really like your writing Sarah, and I'm only being so specific because I believe in you a lot. I greatly look forward to seeing the next thing you do, and hopefully working with you again in the future.

Charli
11-01-2009, 07:59 PM
While I don't really like exposition in the story it probably would have worked here because I have no idea what the monster is? I was confused.

The location is beautiful, absolutely.

I did feel a time that the woman was posing like a model when she leaned back, it didn't seem real to me just awkward.

I am sorry, but I really didn't get the story.

Chris_Keaton
11-01-2009, 09:08 PM
I liked the feel of this piece, but I don't think it really made it clear what the monster was and what she did. Knowing the basics of this story I felt closer to it than the average viewer would in my oppinion. Otherwise it looked good.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2009, 09:26 PM
I looked at this as a Sirens song of sorts. I know people will have a problem with the 'Monster' but the Mods allowed it so I'm going to roll with it.

What I really loved about this was the sadness. Laura was great. The entire moment made me seem like she was alone the whole time, reaching out to something distant that wasn't right there, but was calling out to her.

What would have totally sold the ending for me (although I found it quite powerful as is) was if she started to walk into the water. End with a tight shot as her head starts to break the waters surface with her hair floating just above it. Hold that for a moment and then have it vanish below.

Maybe I'm way off base there though. I would love to hear your thoughts on that.

Sarah, you write a wicked tale.

Nice work all around.

MAH

Sarah Daly
11-02-2009, 03:44 AM
It honestly didn't feel or look like a monster movie at all, even in it's concept I wouldn't say any character in the movie was a monster. It wasn't awful, but just wasn't great for me either.

Thanks for the comments EditPhise! I would have to say though that a monster movie doesn't necessarily have to have fangs, blood or claws. It was the intention to at first have the audience believe that the Rusalka may just be an ordinary woman, but as we get increasingly unsettled we realise something is amiss - I stayed true to the Rusalka mythology and to the experience one would have if you met such a creature. She lures Laura to her death - the fact that this is done without gore does not diminish her power or ferocity in my opinion. But I do appreciate your thoughts - I understand my approach was a little different :)

Lyonfilms, I'm really glad you liked the tone - it was really important to us that we got the right mood across - somewhere between beautiful and romantic, and dark and unsettling.

Jason thanks for the in-depth comments - much appreciated - I was really pleased with the performances yep - and glad you liked the slow-paced shots with the V.O. - those are my favourite too. Great technical feedback and food for thought in there too so thank you!

Michael thanks for watching! Yep in the first draft they actually walk into the water together, but we decided that was all a bit too neat and tidy. Thought it would be more interesting to leave a little more ambiguity - was the Rusalka real or some sort of psychological manifestation? And we just felt to have Laura take steps towards the water was enough to make her intention clear and was maybe a little more affecting? But I do see what you mean, and did consider that idea - I think either approach has its merits to be honest, but this way our actress didn't have to freeze her ass off :)

For those left with questions after watching - good! I like to leave room for those :)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Michael thanks for watching! Yep in the first draft they actually walk into the water together, but we decided that was all a bit too neat and tidy. Thought it would be more interesting to leave a little more ambiguity - was the Rusalka real or some sort of psychological manifestation? And we just felt to have Laura take steps towards the water was enough to make her intention clear and was maybe a little more affecting? But I do see what you mean, and did consider that idea - I think either approach has its merits to be honest, but this way our actress didn't have to freeze her ass off :)

For those left with questions after watching - good! I like to leave room for those :)
Awesome. Thanks for getting back.
In the end I agree. It was very subtle but still just as powerful. Maybe a second super wide shot of just the water and nobody to be seen?

Nah, leave it as is. It works and I liked it the first time I saw it.

I got it and felt terrible for her.

MAH

Sarah Daly
11-02-2009, 08:25 AM
I got it and felt terrible for her.

MAH

Hey thanks so much for that, Michael - that's all I could hope for!

Edgen
11-02-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm so confused. Where's the monster?

Sure, the rusalka can be a monster, but a serial killer can also be an All-American girl. I dunno, maybe the mods were... i dunno.. Maybe I'll have to watch it again?

It's a great little story and would stand on its own as I loved the look of the film, i enjoyed the music, but unfortunately fell flat in the theme of "MonsterFest".

/j

lawriejaffa
11-02-2009, 10:52 AM
There is a negative attitude on these boards to quite a few entries relating to the monster theme. They are coming from those mostly with very literal/physical representations of monsters (ie. cast of the Munsters) who if they cannot relate to the monster choice or depiction in someone elses film dismiss it and the film as poorly qualified for the contest. This particular character is a siren which is certainly monstrous if you fall prey to her... It's the filmmakers prerogative to decide how overt that depiction will be, but that it includes a literal manifestation of a monster qualifies it nonetheless.

You may have laboured to create the monster for your film entry Edgen, but to suggest that the mods got it wrong qualifying this one is disrespectful.

Edgen
11-02-2009, 10:59 AM
I didn't look at the other posts... sorry if its redundant.

...but it needs to manifest in some physical, monstrous form to the main character. We need to see the monster, not just experience it through the angst of the main character.

Your "monster" must be a monster because of it's physical makeup not because of a psychological break down.

to me the film's Rulsaka is a psychological thing. I'm just saying. I'm sure as the days go on, you will get even more comments like mine.

relax.

I enjoyed the film. Its just not the theme of this monsterfest rules.

lawriejaffa
11-02-2009, 11:09 AM
I enjoyed the film. Its just not the theme of this monsterfest rules. The rules are rules? If they have a theme then its one you and i will create in our own minds based on expectation. Im sure you can appreciate the subjective nature of your own individual opinion and that while you have chosen to percieve the entire film then as psychological, that nonetheless its just your opinion. The mods approved this film because the 'monster' is a literal manifestation and the guise of a human woman is its physical make up. Simple as that. Its not my film, but thats my opinion, and ive expressed similarly in the Lovers thread, where the same tenor of 'qualification' criticism was being made.

My issue, as one filmmaker to another, is why one would even allude to disqualification (colour it all you want) when the films have already gone through moderated approval.

Im just seeing a bit too much preoccupation with percieved legitimacy in these threads, from filmmakers who, hats off to them, have got there hands dirty with goo making intensive production value beasties... but its not the unique attribute required by every film, what monsters and how they look and how they behave are simply derived from the artists attempts to recreate them.

PS - as a note, we can discuss this if you want in pm to not veer this thread into madness hehe

Edgen
11-02-2009, 11:16 AM
PS - as a note, we can discuss this if you want in pm to not veer this thread into madness hehe

nah. I'm done.

Sarah Daly
11-02-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm so confused. Where's the monster?

Sure, the rusalka can be a monster, but a serial killer can also be an All-American girl. I dunno, maybe the mods were... i dunno.. Maybe I'll have to watch it again?

It's a great little story and would stand on its own as I loved the look of the film, i enjoyed the music, but unfortunately fell flat in the theme of "MonsterFest".

/j

Yikes if you guys think Rusalka seems like just a normal woman - what kind of evil wenches are you all used to? :) I for one don't remember the last time one of my mates spoke directly into my brain and then persuaded me to drown myself. Hehe!

Aaaanyway, the mods (and I) are satisfied that it qualifies so I'm not going to say any more on that front (although I'd be happy to discuss with any interested peeps over pm) - I'm really glad that you liked the story Edgen - that, after all, is what it's all about. Thanks for watching and taking the time to comment. It's all good.

WilderWorks
11-02-2009, 12:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dWXoI.png

ZazaCast
11-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Yikes if you guys think Rusalka seems like just a normal woman - what kind of evil wenches are you all used to? :)

How can you write a comment like that and expect me not to chime in? You MONSTER!!!

...now, about those evil wenches.......

Sarah Daly
11-02-2009, 01:23 PM
How can you write a comment like that and expect me not to chime in? You MONSTER!!!

...now, about those evil wenches.......

Hehe go on Zaza - let it all out! :)

Sarah Daly
11-02-2009, 01:27 PM
And ha - thanks for that WilderWorks - seems to be a bit of a recurring theme this fest - ah well!

Chris_Keaton
11-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Sarah you do know you're a genius, but don't let that Lawrie guy drag you down the hole of confusing imagery. Just kidding of course. I think it would've helped to have the monster lady standing out in the water inviting the girl in and the girl walking in a trance. Right now we folk that understand the folk tale understands what is happening. I'm shocked I didn't get to review this :)

DarkElastic
11-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Minions shouldn't question the mighty Mod's decisions!!! It will be interested to see how that plays out :shocked:

I personally find Rusalka a Monster film, mainly because of her ability to entice Laura (similar to Dracular) and make her walk into the water to her death. To me, praying on a human who is emotionally down, is very monsterous.
Maybe Sarah and Lawrie could have had something else to indicate her powers as a Monster (besides her suggestive powers and ability to talk in your mind), maybe something visual, but this isn't an in-your-face Monster, this is more suggestive, and works in that way.

It was a nicely written piece. I though Rusalka was a very well shot and acted piece, especially Laura, with a beautiful accompanyment. Well done on finding some interesting locations.
This was a very simple and beautiful Monster film, which had something more to it. But, maybe some thought should be taken on who your audience is and what would be successful in their minds, as well as trying to keep your artistic vision?
Well done.

hoz
11-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Rusalka was very well portrayed by your actress. she seduced quite strongly in my opinion. and i liked your location as well. the music was spot on as well! nice job!

i guess the only thing is i wished for it to a bit darker. Rusalka, in my opinion, is stealing this woman's soul. maybe the victim needed to a bit more desperate or something, not sure. or maybe a bit more lead in with the victim crying alone in the woods. small nit pick.

good original film!

Sprocketboy
11-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Its a beautiful looking short with poetic lines that are equally beautiful to listen too. I can see the monstrous characteristics of the water siren Rusalka but I don't think its the kind of monster everyone in this fest would expect. I find it refreshing not to see another werewolf, vampire or zombie hogging the screen, but instead an alluring woman who sacrifices the weak. She is truly a monster in her own right. I thought one moment you had to satisfy the monster crowd is the moment Rusalka walked over to the girl, we could have seen webbed feet or a tail for a moment. The music and locations are delicious. Bravo to you and your crew.

ZazaCast
11-02-2009, 10:31 PM
All you had to do was give Rusalka a monobrow and there'd be no question of her monsterness.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/35446/1257226735.jpg

Problem solved!:cheesy:

Sarah Daly
11-03-2009, 02:36 AM
I think it would've helped to have the monster lady standing out in the water inviting the girl in and the girl walking in a trance. Right now we folk that understand the folk tale understands what is happening. I'm shocked I didn't get to review this :)

Hehe thanks Chris - and don't worry - I've got Lawrie on a tight leash :) Yikes - anyway! I did originally plan for the Rusalka to walk into the water with Laura but then where was the room for interpretation? Would be all a bit too neat and tidy I think. The fact that she has just spoken into Laura's brain and asked her to come with her forever is enough in my opinion but it was something I thought about a lot.

This was a very simple and beautiful Monster film, which had something more to it. But, maybe some thought should be taken on who your audience is and what would be successful in their minds, as well as trying to keep your artistic vision?
Well done.

Thanks DarkElastic! Your comments mean a lot - I think your writing's great! But no! I will not compromise my vision hehe! I think enough people got what we were going for for me to be happy with the result - but yep it's certainly something I thought about - you can't please all of the people but of course your audience is important. Be a bit pointless making films without em :)

Rusalka was very well portrayed by your actress. she seduced quite strongly in my opinion. and i liked your location as well. the music was spot on as well! nice job!

i guess the only thing is i wished for it to a bit darker. Rusalka, in my opinion, is stealing this woman's soul. maybe the victim needed to a bit more desperate or something, not sure. or maybe a bit more lead in with the victim crying alone in the woods. small nit pick.

good original film!

Glad the Rusalka worked for you, Hoz! I was very happy with Nina's performance, and the actress playing Laura too - though I get your point - we didn't want to go too far into melodrama - but yep - desperation was what we were going for. I'm pretty happy with how we got that across but there's always room for improvement! Thanks for your comments :)

Its a beautiful looking short with poetic lines that are equally beautiful to listen too.

Aww thanks Sprocketboy - you've put a smile on my face! The sound of the dialogue was very important to me - I wanted to get an almost theatrical/poetic vibe as you say so I'm really glad you got that from it.

As for revealing some monstrous characteristics, in the original script there is a brief moment when Rusalka says 'Look at me, Imogen' where her face distorts and she reveals her true self, but we decided it wasn't necessary. I think it works without that, but yep - was a choice we made to never be too explicit - it could have worked the other way too.

And Zaza - hehe - thanks for always keeping it light - Nina will be devastated you caught her in between waxes :)

Whew - basically, thanks everybody!

Chris_Keaton
11-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Hah, Sarah. I figured you cut the water scene, because that water has to be freaking freezing!!!

Sprocketboys comments were great. I think the monsterous features should be subtle. She couldn't be too repulsive or it might work against her. So web toes or something would add a nice touch. I do agree with you on not going 'the full Lawrie' or what others might call showing the whole monster. While going 'the full Lawrie' works for other shorts it would've been out of place in this beautiful piece.

Rodney V. Smith
11-03-2009, 06:54 AM
"the full Lawrie'! LOVE IT!!!!

lawriejaffa
11-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Yep!!! Awe the full Lawrie wouldnt be so much showing the whole monster (i love the subtle expression of the Rusalka so me and Sarah were on the same page there...

Its a simple relationship, she say i do hehehe! (Keeps us on the same page teehee.) But yep this is Sarah's movie and i very much sought to express her vision.

There's suggestions here and there about the edit that ill see if i can remedy here and there.

The full Lawrie (in style) is a bit like Empire really, bombastic, melodramatic, visual - normally violent, sexual, theatrical etc. I like Ken Russell as a director for example, Guy Maddin etc.

Thing is - you get bored producing your own writing and interpretations and i can't suggest enough to any indy director, that really, your writing probably sucks compared to the writers here on the forum willing to collaborate hehehe.

Sarah as an artist, has a unique perspective that has actually made me excited about the shorts ive been making (rather than my more neurotic endevours with my own ideas.)

"the full Lawrie'! LOVE IT!!!! Incidentally though, this will be evident in the visuals for Black Hare when its completed and posted! (Another Sarah script too!)

Sarah Daly
11-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Hah, Sarah. I figured you cut the water scene, because that water has to be freaking freezing!!!

Sprocketboys comments were great. I think the monsterous features should be subtle. She couldn't be too repulsive or it might work against her. So web toes or something would add a nice touch. I do agree with you on not going 'the full Lawrie' or what others might call showing the whole monster. While going 'the full Lawrie' works for other shorts it would've been out of place in this beautiful piece.

Hey Chris - thanks for stoppin by again! Gonna check out your offerings this evening - looking forward to it.

But nah I woulda dunked her if I really wanted to!

Full Lawrie - hehe - in fact I hear you've gone the whole Lawrie, Mr. Keaton! Tis a beautiful thing...

(Insert your own lude connotations here)

Blaine
11-03-2009, 03:19 PM
I think you had a good story, Sarah, much like the Kelpie legend. My problem with is was in the execution. The opening seemed awfully soft on the focus. And I found the music grating rather than a complement to the film.

I thought Rusalka was too theatrical but perhaps that was what you were shooting for.

I never believed that Laura had been sufficiently beguiled to find herself on the verge of joining Rusalka in the deep. Perhaps, it's because the stakes didn't seem high enough. "It's nothing. I've just had a difficult day." That may have been a bit subtle with little to follow it up to get the point across. Of course the lines: "They hurt you because you let them. You are beautiful, you know. You deserve happiness...love even." give some more depth but far from enticing her to the deep, they would seem to give her hope.

Then again, I may have missed your whole point. :undecided

Horncastle
11-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Well done, I enjoyed this and you managed to conjure up a wonderful, mysterious atmosphere. I think jasonthewho's comments really nailed it. Apart from that, Rusalka's position and movements lying back on the rock around 3.30 felt rather awkward. Loved the location - was that Ireland or Scotland?

Chris_Keaton
11-03-2009, 04:07 PM
....I like Ken Russell as a director for example...

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Sarah Daly
11-05-2009, 10:29 AM
I thought Rusalka was too theatrical but perhaps that was what you were shooting for.

I never believed that Laura had been sufficiently beguiled to find herself on the verge of joining Rusalka in the deep. Perhaps, it's because the stakes didn't seem high enough. "It's nothing. I've just had a difficult day." That may have been a bit subtle with little to follow it up to get the point across. Of course the lines: "They hurt you because you let them. You are beautiful, you know. You deserve happiness...love even." give some more depth but far from enticing her to the deep, they would seem to give her hope.

Then again, I may have missed your whole point. :undecided

Hi Blaine - thanks for the comments. Actually it was my intention for the Rusalka to give Laura hope - but a false hope and one dependent on her going with Rusalka. It's all part of the game for her to own Laura and control her. But also when Laura looks at Rusalka and smiles in the end - that is supposed to imply a sort of spell having been placed on her above and beyond natural, rational persuasion - I think it's enough but I do get your point!

As for the theatricality - yep I didn't want her performance to be too naturalistic - I think a little melodrama suits the story and the character. But I see how we could have gone a different way too - just chose not to :)

Well done, I enjoyed this and you managed to conjure up a wonderful, mysterious atmosphere. I think jasonthewho's comments really nailed it. Apart from that, Rusalka's position and movements lying back on the rock around 3.30 felt rather awkward. Loved the location - was that Ireland or Scotland?

Glad you liked the atmosphere Horncastle! Fair points all! And it was Scotland - pretty innit? Just a local park.

lawriejaffa
11-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Just a local park.

Just a local park?! I spent all day planting those trees and flowers! Not to mention the gravel stone paths!!! hehe :P

vurfing
11-05-2009, 04:20 PM
I thought this film was interesting. It was nicely shot with great locations and the actors did a good job. I'm sure i've seen the actress playing rusalka before on tv - she looks/sounds very familiar.
The only bits I had a problem with were (as already mentioned) the strange postures on the rock and the fact that I kept expecting something to happen - I realise it was a moody rather than action piece but it seemed to keep the story hanging for too long.
Great work :)

ZazaCast
11-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Nice job! I'm always a little affraid to comment on Lawrie's productions...cause he will rip me... and use really big words that I have to look-up...and I just don't have time for that these days. (HeeHee)

I like this film. Beautifully written, Beautiful opening, beautiful music, beautiful cast....so where is the monster again? (I know... wiseass) I do realize Rusalka is a bad girl, but is she REALLY a monster?

[insert Lawrie's tirade here]

I mean really, if she's a monster, I could have just edited a few home movies with my ex in them and have gotten the same result.:shocked:

Now I felt that it would have been nice to see Laura in a bit more pain. I didn't believe she was anywhere near killing herself. Maybe if in the opening we she her sitting alone, sobbing...a tear rolling from the eye...something to indicate how much pain she was in. We've all had bad days, that's not reason enough to take your life.

Other than that...wouldn't change a thing....expect for maybe adding that monobrow to Rusalka!:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Great job & congrats to the cast, the crew and all involved in this production.
Looking forward to your next film Sarah.

lawriejaffa
11-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Don't worry Zaza your perfectly safe!!

This is a 100% Sarah Daly administered arty project, i was just her 'bitch-gimp' filming monkey hehe, working to help craft ideas on the technical elements (with creativity lent of course to things like cinematography / other bits like that.) Obviously im a massive admirer of her work and really (personally) liked this film, but on the technical criticism for things i was more responsible for, im listening and appreciate the feedback.

So Sarah will be able to comment!!!

However... if you ever say anything like that to me in my movies thread Zaza... then my god... i'll be so angry... so mad... we'll both be crying.

MOVIE STUNTS
11-05-2009, 06:05 PM
With the lore this would have been a great opprotunity to use body painting to actually make Rusalka into a scaly water nymph and fulfill the monster requirement for the fest. The artsy aspect to this film seemed to serve as a stumbling block to the eerieness you could have created with this piece; they can be mixed together effectively, instead it came off to me as obscure and innefective. I think this has great potential, it just needs a little more time and consideration. Great idea using lore as your subject!

TMerry
11-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Hi Sarah, great to see a fellow MPrs film.

I had a hard time with this one. Let me start with the likes:
I loved the look of the forrest. I thought the dialog was masterfully recorded
for outdoor work, might even be ADR in post it's so clean. The actors seemed
strong, esp imogen. As far as the story, I couldn't really understand what was going on,
I had a hard time believing that walking through the forrest someone would let
a stranger touch them, but though, well, the tree lady must have had her
under her spell? The tree lady did not seem like a monster to me, but a forrest
spirit of some kind, unless we are to believe that imogen committed suicide by walking into
the ocean because the tree lady told her to? Lots of unanswered questions...

Back to likes: gorgeous soundtrack with lots of wonderful textures. Great mystical
mood and strong emotional reaction shots.

Good luck, and good work!

alex whitmer
11-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Oh, Sarah! My favorite human. Way cool to see you in the show.

Ethereal and fluid. Your monster was 'posed' a little too much, and the desperation of the 'victim' wasn't really there - but then again, when we are sad, we are vulnerable, and we don't really need to be suicidal to grasp at illusions of a better place. From that POV, it worked.

Delicious set, damn good looking monster (and just for Zaza's entertainment - she can spank me anytime).

There is wonderful chemistry with you and the man behind the camera.

aw

Susanne G.
11-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi Sarah,

This was a very romantic work. It feels so good to see that someone created a myth. I loved when the Rusalka was sitting in the tree. The whole opening has a good rythym together with the music. In the middle of the film, the music changed and this disturbed the film. The actress of the Rusalka also was a bit rigid or overacted - I can't really describe what it was exactly, but the film lost the fluid rythym from the beginning. The scene when the Rusalka laid on the flat rock - here she did to many times the same movement. On the other hand the girl did a really good job - she convinced me. I hope to see more in the future from you. This forum needs more films like yours :).

Susanne

Sarah Daly
11-09-2009, 04:23 AM
I had a hard time believing that walking through the forrest someone would let
a stranger touch them, but though, well, the tree lady must have had her
under her spell? The tree lady did not seem like a monster to me, but a forrest
spirit of some kind, unless we are to believe that imogen committed suicide by walking into
the ocean because the tree lady told her to? Lots of unanswered questions...

Hey TMerry! Thanks for the balanced review :) In my mind the Rusalka is a monster in the same way a siren or banshee would be considered one. And as I see it Laura doesn't think she's committing suicide but going to join Rusalka, who she is entranced by.

But, of course, there's room for interpretation! Glad you liked the sound and location and thanks for watching and giving your impression.

Oh, Sarah! My favorite human. Way cool to see you in the show.

Ethereal and fluid. Your monster was 'posed' a little too much, and the desperation of the 'victim' wasn't really there - but then again, when we are sad, we are vulnerable, and we don't really need to be suicidal to grasp at illusions of a better place. From that POV, it worked.

Delicious set, damn good looking monster (and just for Zaza's entertainment - she can spank me anytime).

There is wonderful chemistry with you and the man behind the camera.

aw

Ah bless you Alex! In a lot of ways we have you to thank! So glad you liked the attempt anyway - obviously your opinion means a lot to me. I will arrange the spanking to show my gratitude :)

Now I felt that it would have been nice to see Laura in a bit more pain. I didn't believe she was anywhere near killing herself. Maybe if in the opening we she her sitting alone, sobbing...a tear rolling from the eye...something to indicate how much pain she was in. We've all had bad days, that's not reason enough to take your life.

I hear you Zaza! I didn't want to be too blatant on this front - as she has only just met this stranger I think she'd underplay her sadness - try to hide it - but Rusalka sees through this. Often when people are deeply unhappy, you'd never know it. I do think that Laura shows just enough for us to believe that she feels lonely and in pain, but I get your point.

Great job & congrats to the cast, the crew and all involved in this production.
Looking forward to your next film Sarah.

Thanks so much Zaza! Always appreciate your humour round here - it's just a shame your ex wasn't available to play the lead :)

Sarah Daly
11-09-2009, 04:25 AM
Hi Sarah,

This was a very romantic work. It feels so good to see that someone created a myth. I loved when the Rusalka was sitting in the tree. The whole opening has a good rythym together with the music. In the middle of the film, the music changed and this disturbed the film. The actress of the Rusalka also was a bit rigid or overacted - I can't really describe what it was exactly, but the film lost the fluid rythym from the beginning. The scene when the Rusalka laid on the flat rock - here she did to many times the same movement. On the other hand the girl did a really good job - she convinced me. I hope to see more in the future from you. This forum needs more films like yours :).

Susanne

Thank you so much Susanne! Glad you liked the fact that we did something a bit different - you make good points too and I'm always listening. It's all about taking stock and improving every time.

Lawsuit_Boy
11-09-2009, 11:20 AM
After stewing over the viewing for a few minutes, I came to the conclusion that this film is definitely a surrealist bent on a classic folklore. I was really swept up with the warm, diffused quality of the cinematography/grading. It was very appealing and works on a story-telling level as well as a transcendence of the medium, pulling the viewer in just like the Rusalka may be doing to the protagonist.

I wasn't very familiar with the tale before the film, but after some reading, I must say that this seems to be a very accurate portrayal of the interpretations of the Rusalka I've come across.

The music felt very soothing and, at times, intoxicating. This definitely adds an extra element to the seductive qualities of the film and the Rusalka.

The acting was quite good throughout the film. I was impressed. The lead exhibited a melancholy easy to relate to as well as a certain kind of firm gentility. Odd description, yes, but I think it's there. The Rusalka was performed quite well, taking command of scenes and leaving the audience wondering where she's going with her dialogue and movements. I did feel that, at times, both actors lost a little control of their performances and let some of their naturalness slip. It only happened briefly and sporadically, but it was still there. Not a major problem by any stretch, but it's just something to keep an eye on.

There's an interesting thing that happens at about 1:07. My hunch is that the shot was merely underexposed, but the two shots before this one are wonderful static portraits of a light-drenched woods with soft colors and detail. Both of these images are tremendously soft in the darks and in the highlights, which is beautiful. Then, an almost disparate chord is struck in the next shot, which is dark and contrasty. The shot finds the film in a soft realm again. Unless this is an intentional contrast demonstrated by the melancholic lead walking into frame, I would try to tinker with it a bit just to keep things from popping out at viewers.

The sound was nice and crisp throughout and each element was mixed very well. The dialogue was clean. Sometimes I felt the sound of the waves crashing against the shore was just a little too apparent at times. But it's just a very mild thing and it only feels a little too loud around the 2:10ish mark. No big deal, really.

I had a little difficulty understanding the immediate turmoil that the lead was in. I felt there was a pregnancy involved, and when the Rusalka mentioned "they hurt you, because you let them," it made me think of a possible rape scenario. Rusalka seems to attempt to build the girl's self-esteem and lift her spirits while giving her a new identity to travel through life under. It feels like an ambivalent scenario in which one cannot genuinely ascertain the Rusalka's motives or ethos. Is she good or bad? Is she helping or hurting the protagonist? It's a highly interesting conversation and interaction between the two.

But, it could just be that she's merely hurt by cruel individuals roaming the planet in implicit ways. It's a perplexing tale of seduction and the nature of truths and lies. Really strong work and definitely one of the most intriguing pieces in the festival! :beer:

lawriejaffa
11-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Yep i decided what the hell, i helped Sarah shoot and edit this but id love to give my own feedback on the film as i've had some pm's asking to describe some ideas behind its cinematography, and my interpretation of Sarah's vision. (which is just my opinion Sarah can discuss the actual story as the films author.)

Righto - in terms of cinematography.

Before Titles : I used a range of soft focus shots, to add a 'romantic' quality which when seperated by titles was acceptable to me (for the audience to re-adjust.) We see the Rusalka a spirit of trees and water in one with her landscape - as part of the landscape. Note shots of her arms in threes, evne forming part of branches, and scraping through water.

Only then do we see her face, tied from those elements - roll on titles.

The cinematogaphy of the approach is fairly standard, Nina was not really up a high tree but a smaller tree. Jon (Lawsuit boy) is quite correct the first shot of the character of the girl Laura entering the forest is a little too out of place with the rest of the style. I'll check on that.

The cinematogrpahy and grading wanted to express a warm and romantic style, soft colours - beautiful really. See the idea was that normally this might be expressed in a creepy forest... where the siren emerges. But meh... why be so obvious when the danger to our young girl can be expressed surounded by beauty. It looks heavenly, and the Rusalka appears like a friend, a savior in this paradise... but no, she is redefining the girl in her own image - from Laura - to Imogen, before leading her into the sea.

In terms of performance it lends itself to theatre as its artform, and think that comes across effectively in capturing scenes in wide, letting the actors work with it. Rather than breaking the moment between close up to close up *yawn*

Likewise with Jon again the source of Laura's unhappiness is subjective - open to interpretation. It is certainly exploited, and is possible that even the smallest issue is blown up and exploited to a point where Laura is taken over. I imagine that the slow walk around is when the magic as it were is 'weaved'.

The juxtaposition of the final kiss - and promise of happiness is flatly contrasted with immediate suicide.

A fine debut for Sarah, it was a pleasure and honour to work with this special voice and artist.

Lawsuit_Boy
11-10-2009, 09:27 PM
where the siren emerges. But meh... why be so obvious when the danger to our young girl can be expressed surounded by beauty. It looks heavenly, and the Rusalka appears like a friend, a savior in this paradise... but no, she is redefining the girl in her own image - from Laura - to Imogen, before leading her into the sea.

In terms of performance it lends itself to theatre as its artform, and think that comes across effectively in capturing scenes in wide, letting the actors work with it. Rather than breaking the moment between close up to close up *yawn*

Likewise with Jon again the source of Laura's unhappiness is subjective - open to interpretation. It is certainly exploited, and is possible that even the smallest issue is blown up and exploited to a point where Laura is taken over. I imagine that the slow walk around is when the magic as it were is 'weaved'.

The juxtaposition of the final kiss - and promise of happiness is flatly contrasted with immediate suicide.

A fine debut for Sarah, it was a pleasure and honour to work with this special voice and artist.

Your points definitely clarify a lot of my own personal convictions about the film.

And the stuff I bolded--I didn't really make the connection between Rusalka and Sirens from Homer's Odyssey. That definitely helps me assume more about the character.

And I agree that it is indeed a fine debut. :beer:

Sarah Daly
11-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Aww hey thanks so so much Lawsuit Boy - your comments were kind and constructive - means a lot to me that you liked this.

As for Laura's turmoil - yes this was supposed to be sort of open to interpretation - yes we wanted her to look upset, and to show weakness, vulnerability - but didn't want to reveal too much on the details as I don't think it would have added much to the story. In my mind, if that helps, she is simply a bit of an outcast, a victim of bullying perhaps - a generally vulnerable sort whose desire to be loved was easily manipulated by Rusalka both with her charm and her supernatural seductive powers. I hope this came across!

Thanks again for watching and taking the time to note your impressions - your comments are welcome encouragement and useful food for thought. Will be getting on to Lawrie about your production suggestions :)

Charli
11-11-2009, 05:31 PM
I loved the woods and I actually would like to know where it was filmed? Can you show us on a map?

lawriejaffa
11-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Hey there Charli, its just a park near where i stay called 'Ravenscraig Park' its a small park really - part of a former gentry estate, in Dysart, Fife, Scotland :)

If your coming to visit i'll put the kettle on!

Sarah Daly
11-12-2009, 05:14 AM
I loved the woods and I actually would like to know where it was filmed? Can you show us on a map?

Glad you liked em Charli - pretty innit?

Marlon Ladd
11-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Hello, Sarah - and didn't Lawrie help on this one? This was a pretty good film. It was engaging. I thought the acting was pretty strong although I was confused by the story. I may have missed some dialogue and will have to go back and watch it again. Having said that, I thought everything here was professionally done. The transition from Rusalka being in the tree and then on the ground kind of stuck out as odd - didn't seem to work for me for some reason, but I think that's an easy editing fix (if you deem it necessary). I too was also confused about the monster aspect of it, but I've already read the posts, so no worries on that.

Nice work on an engaging piece!

lawriejaffa
11-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Yep i did! With the trusty ol' hpx500!

Marlon Ladd
11-12-2009, 09:25 AM
You got the 500?? What a scoundrel - of course I mean that in the most upstanding, intellectually-engaging, non-offensive way possible. :thumbsup:That's a nice camera - wish I had a couple of those.

lawriejaffa
11-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Oh god not to go offtopic hehe, but yeah i love that cam, i like its organic vibe, nice dof off the sensor good low light, and while its hd is not as sharp as others, it feels right you know? For my particular aesthetic anyway. I shot it with a Canon J6x8 standard def lens too. Just does the trick, im curious though about a video dslr for use in certain shorts, and am also wanting to do a mobile phone shot video next too (I may use the Casio mini cam)

I used to have the hvx200 + brevis before too. Next step up (if ever required) would probably be a varicam 2700.

Marlon Ladd
11-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Man, you're really tryin' to "move on up." I've used the HVX before and it's cool. There are so many more inexpensive HD cams and dslr cams out there now that probably the best thing going for the HVX (at least for what I do) is the variable frame rates. I wish they'd come out with that Red Scarlett, because I'd snatch that one up and go all obssessive-compulsive curled up in a corner somewhere talkin' "Rain Man" gibberish.

lawriejaffa
11-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Yep blethered to Sarah, and she was telling me from the feedback, from which i think is a good idea, that the shot of our girl Laura appearing in the wood (its darkness) doesn't quite fit. To grade it brings artifacts (ie to match the other shots) as it was against the sun really. The idea of that shot was the sea in the background, but its redundent really as it stands out - so its been cut out. And the shot where voice over carried on too long with our characters heads off screen has been fixed too.

Yep Marlon I am a bit but im really settled with hpx500, it was a decent investment and pfft now it will be nice to live off the income than pay for the cam hehe :)

lawriejaffa
11-18-2009, 11:10 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/R%C5%AF%C5%BEena_Maturov%C3%A1_as_the_first_Rusalk a.jpg

Here is the first actress to play 'Rusalka' in the Dvorak Opera, of the Rusalka mythological creature. I love a lot of classical music and opera myself, but ironically didn't realise this opera existed!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka_(opera)

And a performance of the title song 'Song to the Moon' by Lucia Popp (seemingly regarded for maintaining the ethereal unhuman aspect of the Rusalka.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoPTh_q7GYs&feature=related

Tom Marshall
11-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Hi Sarah, I finally got around to watching the short films. I liked this one. The cinematography was great as was the soundtrack. And great writing as well. :)

As for performances... hmm... Laura was OK but didn't really portray any sort of life taking sadness (as was mentioned) or any reason to be taken in by a stranger like she did. I didn't see any sort of emotional connection between the two of them. From Laura, we should have had some sort of "Oh, you can make things better?" epiphany but it didn't happen. I can see that in the writing, but the execution, acting wise, wasn't there.

As for Nina, her performance was hard to watch. It's not that it was theatrical, it's just that there was nothing behind it. It was emotionless and indicated. There was really no emotional interchange between the characters and I think it's unfortunate because there's so much potential in the script. That's just so important, especially in such a dramatic piece like this. I think if you were to get a better actress, the short would have been stronger.