PDA

View Full Version : Witch Bottle by Justin Demeere

Nitsuj
09-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Fill and bury to trap your worry.
If found and open the spell will be broken.
Now the Ryjhin will come through hellís portal,
Possessing your flesh and becoming immortal.
If this evil should escape, only a hag can undo your fate.

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Burning_Crow_Pictures_Presents_files/WitchBottlePoster.jpg

Two couples go to an abandoned house for a weekend only to find a witch bottle that contains evil possessions.

Burning Crow Pictures Presents

"Witch Bottle"

Written, Directed, and Produced
by
Justin Demeere

View poster and video HERE! (http://burningcrowpictures.com/?page_id=5)

Nitsuj
09-14-2009, 10:10 AM
My first DVXFest entry

written, directed, produced, and edited
JUSTIN DEMEERE

cast
MIDORI MCPHETRIDGE ...... Laurie
BOW MORTON ................... Max
KAREN HON ...................... Deborah
KEVIN WOODS .................. Tommy

voice of Laurie's possessions
KAREN HON

voice of Tommy's possessions, witch, and narrator
JUSTIN DEMEERE

make-up effects
KAREN HON
JUSTIN DEMEERE

music, sound design, and foley
JUSTIN DEMEERE

special thanks
to the cast for being the crew at times of need
my Fiance, Karen, for making it possible
my Brother for helping with the poster
my Mother for babysitting our Daughter Amia

Nitsuj
09-14-2009, 10:14 AM
PRODUCTION

Budget
1 Utilitech fluorescent work light 65k- $30
5 fluorescent bulbs 100w equivalent 65k - $10
1 fluorescent blue party light $5
1 fluorescent red party light $5
1 box of gelatin $5
1 undead make-up wheel $6
2 plastic knifes 2x $3 = $6
1 bag of paper mache $7
1 package of Amaco WireForm $6
2 sets of ghoul teeth - 2 x $2 = $4

Total on screen = $84

Food
1st day of shooting - Pizza dinner $25
2nd day of shooting - BBQ and drinks $50
3rd day of shooting - Mexican $20 and Beer $25

Total off screen = $120

Total on and off screen = $204

Principal - 09/20/2009
Deadline - 10/15/2009

09/07/2009 - Screenplay finished
09/08/2009 - Witch Bottle prop was started
09/10/2009 - Witch Bottle prop cured, painted, and finished
09/12/2009 - Photography session for poster completed (Remi Demeere modeled for the shot)
09/13/2009 - Poster completed
09/14/2009 - Location secured
09/14/2009 - Lighting equipment secured and tested
09/14/2009 - Special Effects Makeup acquired
09/15/2009 - Cast secured
09/15/2009 - Special Effects Makeup prosthetics started
09/17/2009 - Bought some lighting and grip materials for the shoot
09/18/2009 - Finished up some storyboarding and SFX planning
09/19/2009 - Rehearsal with all the actors
09/20/2009 - Principal, had a 6 hour window for the location which was not enough time
09/21/2009 - Rough cut okay considering the time frame I had. Made notes of shots to reshoot and missing shots.
09/23/2009 - Caught the Flu had to push back second day of principal to October 4th
09/30/2009 - Over Flu so I can get back to work verified Sunday Oct 4th still good
10/03/2009 - Night shot test with lights and smoke machine
10/04/2009 - 2nd day of principal - RAIN! Still got some shots in
10/05/2009 - Got a Yamaha keyboard to do soundtracks with. Only have it for 3 days must finish all music within that time. Created a song.
10/05/2009 - Rewrote the ending.
10/06/2009 - I created 3 more songs today.
10/06/2009 - Had to reschedule the opening scene. Running out of time quick... must get that shot this week.
10/07/2009 - Worked on score.
10/07/2009 - Shoot went perfect. Weather was in my favor and the cast was in great spirit. Brought beer this time so they could have fun while I set up lights. ;)
10/08/2009 - Worked on rough edit.
10/09/2009 - Captured some audio clips from actors for dubbing and worked on editing.
10/10/2009 - Editing video.
10/11/2009 - Editing and captured some Foley.
10/12/2009 - Shot some video of one of the actresses who also is my fiance. I set a time for her outside the main shoot since it is only her in the shots. Did another greenscreen shot along with some other effects shots.
10/13/2009 - Worked on Foley. Finished rough edit. Sound design and editing has been the game of the day. Did another missing shot of an open grave site in the RAIN!
10/14/2009 - Foley, sound design, and sound editing for the day. I did the audio for the possessed today. My throat is raspy now.
10/15/2009 - Editing sound most of the day. At around 7pm Bow Morton called and asked about the intro. I explained that I wasn't going to be able to do it because of time and I won't have time to edit in since I'm already at 6 minutes. He said "It must be in, I'm coming over and helping to do it." So he showed up with a prop and some dry ice. I searched in a storage room for more props. We laid them out and I lit it in about 20 minutes. All together it was shot in about 45 minutes and it looks great. It does complete the film. Unfortunately it will not be in the dvxuser version but it is in the complete version. That's a wrap!
10/16/2009 - Recorded the narration for the intro shot last night and finished editing the intro. Completed the sound editing, titling, and credits. I completed the film at around 7pm and went out with Bow to celebrate. After 5 days of editing til 4am (last night 5am) I am going to rest this weekend.

Nitsuj
09-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Images

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Blog/Entries/2009/10/7_Witch_Bottle_Principal_Photography_files/WitchBottleScreengrab1.jpg

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Blog/Entries/2009/10/7_Witch_Bottle_Principal_Photography_files/WitchBottleScreengrab2.jpg

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Blog/Entries/2009/10/7_Witch_Bottle_Principal_Photography_files/WitchBottleScreengrab3.jpg

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Blog/Entries/2009/10/7_Witch_Bottle_Principal_Photography_files/WitchBottleScreengrab13.jpg

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Blog/Entries/2009/10/7_Witch_Bottle_Principal_Photography_files/WitchBottleScreengrab14.jpg

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Blog/Entries/2009/10/7_Witch_Bottle_Principal_Photography_files/WitchBottleScreengrab18.jpg

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Blog/Entries/2009/10/7_Witch_Bottle_Principal_Photography_files/WitchBottleScreengrab15.jpg

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Blog/Entries/2009/10/7_Witch_Bottle_Principal_Photography_files/WitchBottleScreengrab7.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/Ni7suj/bottlebake.jpg
Witch Bottle being made in the oven.

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Blog/Entries/2009/10/18_Thats_a_wrap%21_files/WBIntro.jpg
This is the intro screen grab but I know I am not going to be able to fit it into the dvxuser version of the film due to 6min time restriction. It makes for a better film but I think the story can still hold itself up without it.

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Blog/Entries/2009/10/18_Thats_a_wrap%21_files/WitchBottleScreengrab26.jpg
Green Screen for a shot in the film. It is poster board that cost $0.65 a sheet. Worked great.

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Blog/Entries/2009/10/18_Thats_a_wrap%21_files/keyingcarsetup.jpg
For another shot. Took an hour to get this lit for such a small segment in the film. There is a fog machine and fan behind the camera too.

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Blog/Entries/2009/10/18_Thats_a_wrap%21_files/21AudioTracks.jpg
Editing the sound for this. It went 22 tracks deep. Weeeeee!

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Blog/Entries/2009/10/18_Thats_a_wrap%21_files/Photo%20on%202009-10-04%20at%2019.48%202.jpg
Cast goofing off after a night of shooting.

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Blog/Entries/2009/10/18_Thats_a_wrap%21_files/TheDrivingWitch.jpg
BEFORE - Me right before I turn myself into a witch.

http://burningcrowpictures.com/Blog/Entries/2009/10/18_Thats_a_wrap%21_files/TheDrivingWitch2.jpg
AFTER

Nitsuj
09-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Started the makeup prosthetics today. Usually you would take a lifecast of each actor and make a bust out of plaster to sculpt on. On a budget this will work just fine. A styrofoam bust is used and clay is then sculpted to my liking. I'm just applying the clay here and am in the process of the sculpting.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/Ni7suj/Clay.jpg

ZazaCast
09-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Wait...which bottle? I'm confused... :)

Welcome to the fest, looks like a great concept for a film. Looking forward to it.

Nitsuj
09-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Wait...which bottle? I'm confused... :)

Welcome to the fest, looks like a great concept for a film. Looking forward to it.

Ah yes a witch bottle is a device of witchcraft. Here is a snippet from wikipedia - "The witch bottle is a very old spell device. Its purpose is to draw in and trap evil and negative energy directed at its owner." "Historically and currently, the bottle is then buried at the farthest corner of the property, beneath the house hearth, or placed in an inconspicuous spot in the house.""The Witch-bottle was believed to be active as long as the bottle remained hidden and unbroken."

My story begins when somebody opens it and releases these evil entities of horror. :evil:

Thanks for the welcome!

ZazaCast
09-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Oh... so it was YOU who released my Ex-Wife!!!!

Nitsuj
09-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Is she a possessed horror hag from the deep? Then you are probably right. My ex was released as well. I had to exorcise her. ;)

Sarah Daly
09-16-2009, 09:08 AM
What's with all this talk of ex-wives? Are they really so monstrous?! :)

Loving this idea dude - best of luck with it!

Nitsuj
09-16-2009, 09:13 AM
What's with all this talk of ex-wives? Are they really so monstrous?! :)

Loving this idea dude - best of luck with it!

Just trust me you need a squirt gun full of holy water and garlic when she is around.

Thanks! :beer:

Rodney V. Smith
09-16-2009, 10:14 AM
How did I miss this? Welcome in dude.

Nitsuj
09-16-2009, 01:25 PM
How did I miss this? Welcome in dude.

Thanks. I just entered in not long ago.

Nitsuj
09-16-2009, 01:46 PM
I put a little description above the poster which is from the script. Might help explaining a little about the witch bottle.

Nitsuj
09-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Tonight I sat down with all the actors and had a rehearsal before the shoot tomorrow. We discussed a wide range of topics from wardrobe to special effects. Everybody was excited and ready for the big day tomorrow. It's going to be a real early morning so it's time to hit the sack.

Christian Vincent Jung
09-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Tonight I sat down with all the actors and had a rehearsal before the shoot tomorrow. We discussed a wide range of topics from wardrobe to special effects. Everybody was excited and ready for the big day tomorrow. It's going to be a real early morning so it's time to hit the sack.

All the best of luck for the shooting! :) Have fun!

TMerry
09-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Images

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/Ni7suj/bottlebake.jpg
Witch Bottle being made in the oven.

Cool image in the bottle, I didn't notice that the first time I saw it.
Did you glaze it, or just leave it looking earthy and natural?

Nitsuj
09-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks I spray painted it brown then glazed it. It is a fat old witch.

TMerry
10-03-2009, 07:38 PM
How did the shoot go?

Nitsuj
10-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Went good. I didn't get enough time to shoot at that location. I am having another shoot tomorrow actually at a different location. Would have had it last weekend however I had the flu so it was not going to happen. Everything looks to be in order for tomorrow and the weather is supposed to be nice. The first shoot rained all day. Had about a 10 minute window with no rain where I had to get a couple outside shots.

TMerry
10-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Sounds cool, keep at it :-)

I always start getting paranoid about being around anyone with the Flu or a Cold when a shoot is coming up.

I'm like.. "Stay Away from Me!" LOL!

Let's see some screen grabs when you got em'.

Nitsuj
10-06-2009, 12:53 PM
I'll get a few screen grabs up soon. I'll probably throw some up after the last shoot on Wed. Right now I only have until tomorrow to work on the music since I only have the keyboard for 3 days. Today will be shooting opening scene and tomorrow is the last day of principal with cast. Hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow. Got rained out the last shoot but still managed to get some shots in.

Rodney V. Smith
10-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Oh come on... you don;t have to make us wait til wednesday.. be nice Justin: show us your awesome screengrabs.

Nitsuj
10-07-2009, 12:47 AM
Hehe all right I posted some screen grabs. I haven't exactly done any set in stone grading so a lot of these are either straight from the camera or me doing some test grading. I'm my own worst critic by the way. That is the reason I hesitate to throw anything up but I guess it's part of the game.

EditPhish
10-07-2009, 04:57 AM
Screen grabs are looking good! I really like the ambience in #5 and 6 particularly!

Marlon Ladd
10-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Man, you're blowing us away with the grabs. You've got some really cool shots there. The house shot with all the smoke makes me wonder what's goin' on (a good thing). Looks like you're doin' some serious stuff with the make-up too. Glad to see you in.

cinealma
10-07-2009, 05:02 PM
CREW
Direction, Production, Writing, Cinematography, Sound, Music, Special Effects Makeup, Digital Special Effects, Editing, and Grading will be handled by myself. Grip work is suspected to be handled by myself as well.

Is there any other way? :thumbsup:

Cheers!

John G.

Nitsuj
10-18-2009, 01:01 AM
That's a wrap! Well yesterday I finished up the film. I finally completed my 3 days of sound design and editing. My script has an intro showing a witch creating a bottle with a narrator explaining about the witch bottle. Due to time I knew I wasn't going to be able to do it. I got a call from Bow Morton who is one of my actors and he said "We have to put that in man! Just have to! I'm coming over and helping to make that happen." So he showed up with a prop and some dry ice. So I went through the storage room and found some junk for props. We set it up in my dining room and I lit it in about 20 minutes. It took about 45 minutes in all to set up, light, and shoot. After watching the results I said "Oh yes, this is going to complete it." However I am still not going to be able to fit it into the DVXUser version due to the 6min time limit. I think the story will still hold itself up but the intro does give it some value.
I then edited it and added sound. I then recorded me narrating the opening and presto it makes a better film. So now there are two versions. After titling and credits I can rest knowing it is complete.

Now I just have to encode the DVX version for the web and upload. I will be doing that tomorrow. I'm off to sleep.

Oh and I updated the photos and threw in some behind the scenes photos along with a screen grab of the intro.

Chris_Keaton
10-18-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm sure you are the only one to have a DVX version and a Directors version. :grin::thumbup:

Sprocketboy
10-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Nitsui- This is awesome. I get a Sam Raimi vibe from your screen grabs. Very dynamic, exciting looking shots. This fest is certainly turning out lots of interesting films to watch. Dramas, Love Stories, Comedies are OK, but everyone has a special place for Horror. Its always fun to see this genre in motion here at DVXUser.

I too, have two versions of THE DEVIL'S TOY. The DVXUser version was difficult to carve out of the Director's fine cut.

Nitsuj
10-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Nitsui- This is awesome. I get a Sam Raimi vibe from your screen grabs. Very dynamic, exciting looking shots. This fest is certainly turning out lots of interesting films to watch. Dramas, Love Stories, Comedies are OK, but everyone has a special place for Horror. Its always fun to see this genre in motion here at DVXUser.

I too, have two versions of THE DEVIL'S TOY. The DVXUser version was difficult to carve out of the Director's fine cut.

Hey thanks! :beer: I've got a dark humorous nature with a love of sci-fi which is why I consider horror and sci-fi to be my forte. Hope it entertains everybody since that is the point. This is a fun fest. :Drogar-Love(DBG):

Kevin E. Curry
10-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Sweet screengrabs! Looking forward to how this all comes together.

ZazaCast
10-19-2009, 06:31 AM
Congrats! Looking forward to watching this one.

Nitsuj
10-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks! I think I can now erase all these ProRes HQ files taking up all my drive space. I need an external drive for my macbook pro badly. I came just 20GB from running out of space. Of course I could stop backing up my video every step of the way and just trust the hardware but... I'll probably just get an external at some point and be safe.

I also updated the credits at the beginning of the forum since I wasn't sure how it would all pan out at the time. ;)

Marlon Ladd
10-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Hey, man. Thanks for the advice in my thread. I just checked out all the stuff I've missed over here in the course of the past 4-5 days. You've done alot of work and should be proud. I use fcp as well and you look like you have just as many audio tracks as I do when I edit. I'm really looking forward to this film now, because I want to see how you pull some of this stuff off, especially the car scene. I've been wanting to try that for awhile, but just have found the time yet.

The intro. pic looks sweet btw.

Nitsuj
10-21-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm really looking forward to this film now, because I want to see how you pull some of this stuff off, especially the car scene.

Haha trust me that is my least favorite shot. It turned out like a cartoon but in a way I like the cartoon look so I kept it. But don't expect much on that shot because it wasn't that great. Lesson learned is to layer the fog after the shot. Oh and get a better back plate. But the other green screen shot turned out better than I expected. :happy:

Marlon Ladd
10-21-2009, 12:07 PM
You're probably being too hard on yourself like us filmmakers always are.

cinealma
10-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Haha trust me that is my least favorite shot. It turned out like a cartoon but in a way I like the cartoon look so I kept it. But don't expect much on that shot because it wasn't that great. Lesson learned is to layer the fog after the shot. Oh and get a better back plate. But the other green screen shot turned out better than I expected. :happy:

Aren't car interiors fun? :cheesy:

My film is about 50% car interior. I was thinking about greenscreen, but I've never been that great at it. So I hung black Duvetyne around the car to basically black out the windows and kill the reflections on the windshield. Of course, this only works if it's supposed to be a night scene.

Did you use any lighting inside the car or just the lights on the outside?

John G.

Nitsuj
10-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Aren't car interiors fun? :cheesy:

My film is about 50% car interior. I was thinking about greenscreen, but I've never been that great at it. So I hung black Duvetyne around the car to basically black out the windows and kill the reflections on the windshield. Of course, this only works if it's supposed to be a night scene.

Did you use any lighting inside the car or just the lights on the outside?

John G.

Oh it depends on the situation I guess. I have done this before on another short and it worked great. Nobody noticed it was a green screen shot. I had a 3 point lighting set up inside the car. I also had my left arm hanging outside the window with another light. I waved that light by my face off screen to make it look like passing traffic. That with the green screen and a good back plate of video with the camera sitting in the back window as I drove around made it look like I was actually driving around. This time however I didn't have a good back plate to work with and since I was pressing for time I decided to use another shot I used in the short. It makes it look like a cartoon but it was okay for me. I wanted a humorous look so it worked the way it was. The other short I did it was all black and white and blended everything well. It was a film noir thing. Trust me don't judge it from this short, you can get a real believable look this way if you get the right back plate. Oh and it should be a smooth one at that. Bumbs give the effect away.

ArtsnFartsNCrafts
10-24-2009, 01:03 PM
saw this at the knoxville horror film fest...LOVED IT.

Nitsuj
10-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks!

Nitsuj
10-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Updated the production notes with the final budget of the short. Total on screen was $84 and the off screen (food and beer) was $120. Not bad.

Keth Andril
10-28-2009, 06:20 AM
This looks pretty great. can't wait to see it

Nitsuj
10-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks! I just hope it is somewhat entertaining for my first real short in 6 years. Doing youtube videos and webisodes in between made me feel rusty on this one. But now I must keep sharpening my teeth because I'm hungry for more.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Cool grabs and BTS. Nicely done.

Nitsuj
10-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Cool grabs and BTS. Nicely done.

Ah thanks man. I had fun doing it. I hope it makes some laughs.

Matt Harris
10-30-2009, 09:34 AM
our screengrabs look amazing, i love the lighting and the fog/smoke and the zombie makeup, im excited to see this.

Nitsuj
10-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey thanks dood. I went crazy with the fog. Constantly I said on the set "Fog! We need more fog!" Hehe. Looking forward to yours as well.

Marlon Ladd
10-30-2009, 03:13 PM
This is one of the ones at the top of my viewing list

Zak Forsman
10-31-2009, 11:12 PM
You know what they say, if you're going to steal, steal from the best! had a lot of fun catching all the Evil Dead shots and gags. and they were really well done. nice work!

Brickhouse
11-01-2009, 01:03 AM
Someone liked the Evil Dead

EditPhish
11-01-2009, 01:48 AM
You've got your look and your color down... however, you need work on sound and editing. Some of the cuts were strange. Some of the sound, especially dialogue, was pretty poor. Also, you're use of the smoke machine made everything seem like a cheesy haunted house and didn't really add much to the ambiance of the film (it was just too much in my opinion).

Keep working at it though, because the look was great. It got more of a thumbs up than a thumbs down for me!

(edit... ps... I loved the ending shot!)

Pocusproductions
11-01-2009, 08:17 AM
I think you definately have a shooting style. It is very much a huge homage to the Evil Dead movies, but fun to re-make some of your favorite movies I know! I thought the ending was pretty good. Sound needed a little extra attention, and the action got a tad rediculous. But I loved some of your shots (the clock) , the ext dolly of the girl through the trees. And you had a nice location too. I would say, a swell effort.

dust'n the callipygous
11-01-2009, 09:12 AM
I would say my only gripes are with sound end editing. It was fun though. I love those quick canted odd framed shots, and I really liked the long dragging out of the house shot at the end.

Denis Haineault
11-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Yup, I loved the Evil Dead inspiration. The retro soundtrack was cheesy (I mean that in a good way) and fitting. I enjoyed seeing that hook used to keep the machete attached to the head...I really laughed at that one (in a good way).

Now if you can just work on that vocal sound, it would dramatically improve the overall product.

cheers for your entry guys!

Geoff_R
11-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Fun movie. Dig the tone and world you created here. Thanks for sharing.

Nitsuj
11-01-2009, 05:50 PM
You've got your look and your color down... however, you need work on sound and editing. Some of the cuts were strange. Some of the sound, especially dialogue, was pretty poor.

Thanks for you comment. Ah yes sound. This is the one thing I really believe is important. What I did learn from this short was that using the GH1 and an H4n with no mic is a pain to work with and will only get you so far no matter how much time you put into it. What I need is a mic. Sound has always been my big thing but with limited equipment its going to hurt me. First on my list of things to get is a mic so my next entry will be much better in that department.

Also, you're use of the smoke machine made everything seem like a cheesy haunted house and didn't really add much to the ambiance of the film (it was just too much in my opinion).

Hehe well I will take that as a compliment personally because in fact I was going for that "cheesy haunted house" look. I am a HUGE fan of haunts and dark rides and have no shame in going for that cheesy, tales from the crypt like, look. Before I shot this I even said to the cast that "I want people to think back about it and remember a foggy, cartoonish experience". ;)

(edit... ps... I loved the ending shot!)

Thanks dood. It was actually two shots combined into one (cuts at the tree) that took several attempts to get the most "fog" hehe. The first part I just walked backwards and the second half I walked backwards and then sat in the trunk of a car going down my driveway. It was fun. Thanks for watching my picture and the comments!

Nitsuj
11-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I think you definately have a shooting style. It is very much a huge homage to the Evil Dead movies, but fun to re-make some of your favorite movies I know! I thought the ending was pretty good. Sound needed a little extra attention, and the action got a tad rediculous. But I loved some of your shots (the clock) , the ext dolly of the girl through the trees. And you had a nice location too. I would say, a swell effort.

Thanks! Yes it was my homage to Mr. Raimi indeed. It was a good way to get my feet wet again and very fun to do. I will get a mic next time. The audio sounded much worse than that when I sat down to edit and I thought it was almost never going to work but I just kept on trucking through and cleaned it up as best I could. A mic would have made a huge difference instead of using the GH1's mic. I actually used the H4n but when I sat down to edit I found the H4n was picking up EVERY noise in that house because it was the omnidirectional stereo mic built onto the H4n. Perfect for room ambiance but horrible for dialogue. So I used the GH1's mic instead since it didn't pick up every noise in the world.

The dolly of the girl (my wife) was me standing on a ladder and moving the camera with my arms while zooming in then back out again. I love this DSLR because you can get so many cool shots like that on the fly. About 95% of it was all hand held. Very easy to use.

Thanks for watching my picture and for the comments!

Nitsuj
11-01-2009, 06:04 PM
I would say my only gripes are with sound end editing. It was fun though. I love those quick canted odd framed shots, and I really liked the long dragging out of the house shot at the end.

Thanks! I will do better with sound when I get a mic for sure. Thanks for watching and your comment!

Yup, I loved the Evil Dead inspiration. The retro soundtrack was cheesy (I mean that in a good way) and fitting. I enjoyed seeing that hook used to keep the machete attached to the head...I really laughed at that one (in a good way).

Now if you can just work on that vocal sound, it would dramatically improve the overall product.

cheers for your entry guys!

Glad you laughed because that was my goal. Hehe the ol' knife in the head trick is fun to do. Thanks for your comments and watching my flick!

Fun movie. Dig the tone and world you created here. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Geoff I really appreciate you watching it and hope it entertained.

Charli
11-01-2009, 08:04 PM
One thing I thought of was how did you get all of that information on the bottle? LOL - it seemed like a lot for such a small bottle.

It was entertaining.

TMerry
11-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi Justin, this was a fun film, kind of a campy ed wood kind of flick. Great use and wrangling of the smoke machines, good creative colors for the night lighting outdoors. SOunds like there were some sound artifacts problems left over from Soundsoap (during background hum removal) used on the dialog. Would have liked to hear the actors mic'd a little closer to remove the ambient room tone.

I think this film was a success at what you were going for.

Extra credits for the headless woman's blood squirting into the lead actors mouth and him gargling/gagging on it!!! LOL - nice touch.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work Justin :-)

Nitsuj
11-01-2009, 11:57 PM
One thing I thought of was how did you get all of that information on the bottle? LOL - it seemed like a lock for such a small bottle.

It was entertaining.

Hehe thanks! Glad it was entertaining. That's all that matters to me.

Hi Justin, this was a fun film, kind of a campy ed wood kind of flick. Great use and wrangling of the smoke machines, good creative colors for the night lighting outdoors. SOunds like there were some sound artifacts problems left over from Soundsoap (during background hum removal) used on the dialog. Would have liked to hear the actors mic'd a little closer to remove the ambient room tone.

I think this film was a success at what you were going for.

Extra credits for the headless woman's blood squirting into the lead actors mouth and him gargling/gagging on it!!! LOL - nice touch.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work Justin :-)

Yeah I need a mic. I have an H4n but no stinkin' mic so it wasn't useful at all. Let this be a lesson to all you GH1 folk out there... don't use the GH1's mic kids. I will make sure to get a hold of a mic on my next project for sure. Thanks for the input man!

Marlon Ladd
11-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Okay, Justin! Finally made it. I very much liked some of the things you did here. Some of your shots I think were superb, like the clock shot, the zoom to the door shot and the shot of the house at the end. I agree that the sound could have been better. Their voices sounded a bit echoey in the beginning. The acting was okay. There were a couple of spots where a couple of the actors delivered their lines as if they were reading, but that's about it. Once the action started, it started. Remember I wanted to see how the green-screen car shot turned out. I thought it looked pretty good, except for the lighting on the guy. I think if that was a bit darker it would go better with the background. Other than that it worked. Good job. I know that was a pretty big set up for such a short shot. Some of the things you did definitely took me back to Romero's original zombie flick. :thumbsup:

Nitsuj
11-02-2009, 12:53 AM
You know what they say, if you're going to steal, steal from the best! had a lot of fun catching all the Evil Dead shots and gags. and they were really well done. nice work!
Thanks for the comment and for watching! Glad it was fun to watch.

Nitsuj
11-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Okay, Justin! Finally made it. I very much liked some of the things you did here. Some of your shots I think were superb, like the clock shot, the zoom to the door shot and the shot of the house at the end. I agree that the sound could have been better. Their voices sounded a bit echoey in the beginning. The acting was okay. There were a couple of spots where a couple of the actors delivered their lines as if they were reading, but that's about it. Once the action started, it started. Remember I wanted to see how the green-screen car shot turned out. I thought it looked pretty good, except for the lighting on the guy. I think if that was a bit darker it would go better with the background. Other than that it worked. Good job. I know that was a pretty big set up for such a short shot. Some of the things you did definitely took me back to Romero's original zombie flick. :thumbsup:
Hey thanks for the comment man! It was fun doing a short again after all this time. I'm ready for another one now after all this great feedback. Thanks for watching.

Chris_Keaton
11-02-2009, 06:35 AM
Ok, this sucked. Now that I have your attention I loved it! Sure there were technical difficulties, but it just added to the campyness. Oh and the dude ready a novel off the back of the bottle was hilarious. And when the witch, a seemingly very old witch, hops into the car and jets off I guffawed aloud. Good Job.

cinealma
11-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Fuck! That was great! Ok, the dialogue sounded like total shit, but I read about your technical limitations in the sound department, so I won't harp on it.

Throwback soundtrack, fog, everything brought a smile to my face. Loved the over-the-top stuff like the guy being almost drowned by the decapitated body's blood draining out its neck, especially the gurgling.

Great job and definitely one of my favorites.

Thanks for sharing!

Nitsuj
11-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks peeps!

Sprocketboy
11-02-2009, 08:43 PM
I call this early on before you post the film. This is an Evil Dead remix. You must have had a good time making this film. It became a little slow near the end when the characters strayed into the woods. Other than that... its funny fun.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Some great shots in this even though it is a lot of homage to the master. :)
Not as easy as one might think.
Looks like it was a lot of fun to make. I'm guessing you had a blast.

I won't go on about the sound issues as it's already been touched on.

Bottom line, this was a lot of fun.

Thanks,

MAH

Nitsuj
11-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Its funny fun.

Bottom line, this was a lot of fun.

That was my goal and all that matters to me. Thanks guys.

kennethhurd
11-05-2009, 07:33 PM
This film was a lot of fun! I loved your Evil Dead style approach you took with it. Your camerawork was spot on and really fun to watch and your film has a solid pace. The only thing that took me out of it was the audio. Whenever the characters spoke, their voices seemed a bit hollow.

killacam
11-06-2009, 03:48 AM
good stuff. definitely had the campy horror movie feel to it, and the raimi/evil dead influence was definitely evident. the sound for the dialogue in the beginning obviously had problems though but fun short overall.

NOBELO
11-09-2009, 04:38 PM
I can see at least two people have beat me to the Evil Dead comparison (I'm sure there were more but I haen't read all the reviews.) I was actually hoping there would be a bit more entries with this type of influence in the fest. We had a couple ideas initially that were sort of in this style so I'm really, really glad you made this.

I think I read back somewhere that you haven't made anything in a while so this must have been an absolute joy to be a part of. Couple that with the fact that there are some truly great elements and moments in here and you have yourself a successful short film here. I was smiling the whole way through brotha, seriously. I will have more for you later, I just don't want you thinking I had forgotten to watch it. Once you have a solid microphone you're going to blow it away. Thanks for the solid entertainment!

Great job.

Nitsuj
11-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the comments doods!

Yeah Nobelo it has been since 2003 since I made a short. I did make some silly youtube videos here and there and some local site but nothing I would call an actual short. Just goofing around with an old standard video camera really. Well I guess I was goofing around with an HD camera here too. Hehe but this time I was jumping in to get my feet wet for the really good stuff to come. muahahahaaaaa.

Oh and yeah Evil Dead is a favorite of mine. I guess I like the cartoon-like way of telling stories like this. After all I am a huge fan of WB toons.

jasonthewho
11-10-2009, 02:23 AM
The best thing about this was how inventive and bold all the choices were. There was a lot of creative/interesting camera shots: some that worked, some that were a little over the top and extraneous.

But this short was unafraid, and that was cool. The make-up effects were fun.

The sound made some of this really difficult to watch for me.

Also, some of the editing and staging left me a little confused as to what was going on.

I'm not a big fan of opening titles that overlay images, unless they fit in really nicely and are timed properly.

Keep the energy and creativity in your next project, just make sure to get some good audio, mix it well, and to tell your story as clearly as possible.

Mark Harris
11-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Awesomeness on a stick.

Aaron Marshall
11-10-2009, 12:04 PM
This one had a very Sam Raimi'esque type of feeling to it. I liked all the weird angles you used. I felt the camera man was the biggest talent on this flick. The music, sound and acting left a lot to be desired. Oddly enough after watching 90% + of the films this one stuck out to me. It's probably in my top 10. I have a few more films to watch and it could get bumped, but I doubt it.

Blaine
11-10-2009, 12:11 PM
It looks like you pretty much accomplished what you wanted with this piece. I'm not a big fan of the Evil Dead movies myself but I can see how you were inspired by them on this one so it that is what you were going for you succeeded and congratulations for that.

lawriejaffa
11-10-2009, 05:34 PM
I saw this as an amusing non too serious homage to Evil Dead (fairly obvious.) Perhaps too much though - as there was little new introduced into the concept (and homages do that) fan films usually don't and perhaps this has fallen too much into that category.

There are some interesting shots on display here, well executed Evil Dead inspired equievelants and the sound effects were amusing.

However, it is self indulgent to make a film that is really more amusing for its participants than its audience, and mostly i felt that while it was fun, it was perhaps a waste of time, energies and talent that could have been put to creating an effective original piece.