PDA

View Full Version : Final Cut Pro 7 Older Macbook Pro Workflow

rawdod
09-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Slowly moving from camera test phase to doing badass stuff phase.

I initially was using iMovie, then Final Cut Express 4. Both were wacky because of using Apple Intermediate Codec.

Now on Final Cut Pro 7, I Log and transfer from SD card using Prores. And it can't playback smooth at all.

Now Prores LT. Looks great. Full 60fps playback. File sizes are big, but the CPU can decode it, and editing is comforatble.

Macbook Pro 2.16 ghz core duo (not core 2), 2gb ram, ati 1600 graphics. About 3 years old. So the prores lt workflow is pretty much maxing out this machine, but it looks great to me so I'm really happy. The only other question is if I can edit from a USB Hard disk. If not I will have to work with the 100gig onboard disk that only has 30gb free. Which is not much time givin the prores lt is doing about 12megeBYTES per second.

Ben_B
09-13-2009, 02:51 PM
ProRes LT is perfect for the GH1...same quality.

I am editing in Final Cut 7 on a nearly identical iMac (2 ghz core duo (not 2), 2gb ram, ati 1600) and things are working pretty well with ProRes and ProRes LT...haven't edited much in ProRes since updating...mainly LT...before update I edited in ProRes and DVC Pro HD...even my 800mhz iMac G4 could edit DVCProHD stuff if it was short..lol.

My Macbook white 2.16ghz Core2Duo with 2gb of RAM and a 7200rpm HDD seems to be having trouble with Final Cut 7 though...if the files were backward compatible I would downgrade it to FCP 6...I hope the school has upgraded when I get back or else I might be needing to install a seperate copy of FCP 6.

I would edit from a firewire harddisk not USB...personally.

timbook2
09-13-2009, 03:59 PM
I advise FW 800 as minimum and if possible e-sata. just got an e-sata express card and am very happy with the speed!!! MBP 2.5 with leopard and all running smooth.

Ben_B
09-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Firewire 400 seems to work fine for me :)

I use a USB for very light editing (short montages) but it's kind of slow. It also works pretty well for AIC/ProRes Proxy editing on the go and well for getting a head start on transcoding in the field (if you have the crew for it.)