PDA

View Full Version : voltaic hd settings?

Steve Dave
09-09-2009, 04:31 PM
just wondering is this the correct settings to export a avchd file recorded in the SH format (1280x720, 60p)?
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x77/smjx824/voltaic.jpg

bekrawa
09-14-2009, 08:21 AM
This is about right except for one important thing: 720/60p does not contain any pull-down, so Voltaic will just re-encode the MTS file to a somewhat odd AVI file - preserving the 59.94 frame-rate. I say odd, because it uses WMA as the audio format (see attached image). I was hoping to use it to play videos on my Samsung HD TV, but WMA is not supported by Samsung - period.

The option to "Extract Full Audio" produces a separate WAV file (naturally), but isn't necessary for the conversion.

Steve Dave
09-15-2009, 11:49 PM
wait so when i use 720 i can change it to 24p without having to export it using voltaic hd? also would it be better to export it as a wav file? because it is recommended on among the choices

bekrawa
09-16-2009, 10:51 AM
There are quite a few threads on conforming 720/60p to a 24p timeline (see the sticky threads at the top of this GH1 Workflow forum). None of those programs work with AVCHD natively, so you need to transcode to an intermediate CODEC. VoltaicHD doesn't have an option to conform to a timeline, so if that is your goal, then you can safely skip that program.

Don't confuse WMV with WAV. VoltaicHD recommends WMV as the output format (Windows Media Video including the audio track as Windows Media Audio). This alone will produce a completely transcoded MTS file.

When you select the option to "Extract Full Audio", VoltaicHD creates a separate WAV file that contains a stand-alone audio track. That could be useful for ripping audio, or re-mixing the audio track during post processing.