PDA

View Full Version : New Panasonic GF1

Mark Turner
09-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I am intrigued by the potential of this camera's HD.

It's a micro 4/3, boasts lots of nice depth of field options for the HD video, and cheaper than most video capable cameras of this quality. Panasonic's answer to Olympus Pen...

Could be an interesting option for a small cam for some nice low-key video taking.

bwwd
09-09-2009, 09:16 PM
me:again 30p disease,would you stop this nonsense panasonic and give at least pal standard 25p option along with fake ugly ntsc looking 30p?

panasonic:
yes of course firmware is on its way

me:thats the spirit

AdrianF
09-10-2009, 11:52 AM
What do you mean? There will be a 25p version according to all the press releases.

bwwd
09-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Wow finally ,i found only 30p in some articles online,would you mind to give links with 25p confirmation ?

Nik Manning
09-10-2009, 08:23 PM
No no he is saying that is what he wants panasonics response to be. LOL

Jackson Miller
09-16-2009, 02:46 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IKLJUK

Wow. It actually looks very nice. Almost like a mini GH1. Same DOF... same lenses. Very nice indeed. No 24p but I like the way the industry is going. It has 60p! On a 900 dollar camera! I remember when you used to have to buy a $5,000 HVX if you wanted that.

Diane B
10-01-2009, 03:51 PM
I got mine yesterday. I'm a longtime still photographer so this is all new to me. Looking for good beginning info, software, etc. This seems the place.

I have the G1 and it was a hard decision whether the GH1 or this--but, I'm just trying video, wanted the 20 f/1.7 so this is a good intro. I shoot a lot with MF legacy lenses so looking forward to that. I'm a long time Canon DSLR user--5D for 4 years but didn't upgrade to 5DII for video--went m4/3rds instead.

Kellar42
10-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Does it shoot real 60p, or does it shoot 30p and double the frame rate?

far451
10-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I got the camera in my hand in a local photo show and i would say that i *love* the concept.

It's a no nonsense very compact, ultra quick camera with all the flexibility needed.

Question: does it stream live HDMI output on recording mode?

Camera Expert
10-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Does it shoot real 60p, or does it shoot 30p and double the frame rate?
The frames are doubled just like the ZS3.

It can look like a marketing decision to make you buy a GH1 but since the 7D appears to have heating issues with prolonged 720 60p usage, it wouldn’t surprise me if 60p would be too much for it’s chip.

Mark Turner
10-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Someone posted this on dpreview... Worth checking out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhskGyTF6VE

HHL
10-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Someone posted this on dpreview... Worth checking out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhskGyTF6VE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhskGyTF6VE)

Thanks so much for posting that! Looks VERY interesting. Is this thing full manual?

Diane B
10-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks so much for posting that! Looks VERY interesting. Is this thing full manual?

I seemed to understand from the manual that one could shoot with A, S, etc. using the record button--knowing that it uses autoISO. From the dpreview and IR reviews today it appears I'm wrong LOL and that exposure, setings are 'automatic' using the record button--allowing you to go back and forth easily from stills to movie mode.

Using P/movie you have the choice of a slider to shallower to deep DOF and EC--but you don't know the settings the camera chooses--so its quite different in this regard from the GH1. I'm totally new to video and finding my way with Vegas, shooting, etc. (longtime stills shooter though). By using my MF legacy lenses, it would appear to me that I could maintain aperture setting since they are done on the lens--so I'm not sure where that leaves us---that hasn't been addressed anywhere I've found. I also read something about using AEL (which def. affects exposure) but don't find this addressed anywhere either.

HHL
10-15-2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the info Diane B! Much appreciated!

killacam
10-16-2009, 12:26 AM
The frames are doubled just like the ZS3.

is that confirmed? dang. I was hoping the 60p would make up for the lack of 24p (for slow motion and easier conforming to 24 than 30 would be). I like the form factor but I guess that's why the specs say "60fps (sensor output 30fps)".

SPZ
10-16-2009, 04:12 AM
This camera records in AVCHD Lite, not the regular AVCHD of the Gh1, If the Gh1 AVCHD was already subpar, this one is much worse... Still, its a very cute pocket slr. I like the design much more than the Pen... I long for the day when Panasonic puts avcintra in such a form factor... (ok, HMC150 quality AVCHD would be enough!)

Ilinpelin
03-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Has anyone made tests with the GF1? I am considering it as a 2nd static camera to go with the 7D, because of its size and price. Would be great to hear some feedback.