PDA

View Full Version : GH1 - two questions and a request...

Jean Dantes
09-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Hey everyone, I just have two questions and a request that I need answered/help with before I buy a GH1.

1. I'm pretty sure that everything I shoot will most likely be shot in 720P AVCHD 50FPS. Now, I want to convert to 25P, but I don't want slow-motion. If every second frame is dropped, this will essentially become 25P right? And if so, does it actually look like it was shot at 25P, or does it still have the "ultra-clean-sharp" vibe of 50P?

2. Does the GH1 have a headphone input jack?

And finally, I just want to request a link to a GH1 "jello" test if anyone has one that they could provide me with...

Thanks in advance to any replies! :)

Martti Ekstrand
09-06-2009, 02:00 PM
1. Shoot at 1/50 second shutter speed, drop every second frame (without frame blending) and you'll get a dead ringer for how motion blur looks on film cameras, see attached picture. In daylight outdoors this usually means you need ND filter(s). Midday, f/2.8, 1/50 shutter + 100 ISO = 2 x ND8. Look up assorted ND tips in the hardware section.

2. No. It doesn't have a headphone output jack either. For good audio you'll need a external recorder anyway such as the Zoom H4n. Use onboard audio for syncing.

Have no tests but how about a game of Find The Jello?: http://vimeo.com/5966843

Jean Dantes
09-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the reply Martti!

I will definitely have to look into ND filters, and invest in them if I go with the GH1.

I hope Adobe Premiere is capable of dropping frames correctly...

Wow, those Zoom H4N's are really exspensive...I actually wanted to attach something like this:

http://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/1456/rode-videomic.html

OR THIS

http://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/3350/sennheiser-mke-400-compact-video-camera-shotgun-microphone.html

Is the Zoom H4N the only option available at the moment for monitoring audio?

Just watched your video! Didn't see jello in any shots! Amazing considering how fast some of the pans and movements of the basketball players are! Looked really cool man, keep it up!

Thanks again!!

Martti Ekstrand
09-07-2009, 01:30 AM
You need to get NDs if you get any vDSLR as none has them built-in.

Since you don't have any control over recording levels in GH1, it's full auto gain control, a external recorder is a must for good sound. That said the onboard sound isn't totally useless, in the "Sthlm Rim Shots" all sync sounds come from it. Again this is more or less the same for all vDSLR, the Magic Lantern hack for 5DmkII adds gain control but that's about it.

H4n is not the only option, there are smaller less expensive recorders that still do a better job than the onboard recording. Again look around here in the hardware section. There's a Beachtek adapter that cost the same as H4n and tricks the ALC to stay steady with a tone in one channel but that leaves you with a mono recording and you risk hearing that tone, it's a dirty hack. With a H4n you can get two dialogue tracks if using two mics, a ambient stereo track from the built-in mics and then GH1 as a kinda backup / extra ambience.

H4n expensive... hmm... guess it depends on perspective, when I started in film a Nagra IV-S reel-to-reel recorder was state of the art and basically the only option for sync sound. Then it was the smallest quality tape recorder around, now it's positively a heavy chunky behemoth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagra

IIRC they cost a cool Aus $13.000 new in the beginning of the 80s - swedish price, no adjustment for inflation. Film shoot-gun microphones were in a matching price range. I could only dream of owning such gear. A H4n does 4 channel recordings, has higher quality recording options and fits in my jacket pocket. I added the Aus $169 Röde mono video mic with a Dead Cat wind screen, a $15 painters telescope rod to use as boom and got a field recording kit that doesn't cost even a week's worth of rent back then and gives better sound. Only thing it lacks is the analogue tape compression one can do with Nagras, they are darn hard to overload to distortion.

I see the H4n are priced higher in Australia, here they go for Aus $575, strange, the Rödes cost the same here and are danish while Zoom is korean. Go figure.

Anyway if you begin with that Röde mic you can always get a external recorder later, as I said the onboard sound isn't totally useless. I've seen that figuring out the 3.5" to 2.5" adapter connections is bit tricky as the remote control also uses the same jack.

Kerplunk
09-07-2009, 04:44 AM
I hope Adobe Premiere is capable of dropping frames correctly...

Dropping 720p 60 AVCHD right out of the GH1 into a 24p timeline in Premiere CS4 (4.1) works beautifully.

Jean Dantes
09-07-2009, 05:19 AM
Dropping 720p 60 AVCHD right out of the GH1 into a 24p timeline in Premiere CS4 (4.1) works beautifully.

Do you have a link to a video where this has been done?

Thanks for the reply! :)

Kerplunk
09-07-2009, 05:47 AM
Sure - http://vimeo.com/5264787

While you're there, be sure to check out his "GH1 Just for Dance Day" (#20)

pailes
09-07-2009, 08:08 AM
http://vimeo.com/6447666

I'm against motion blur ;)

Ozpeter
09-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Rödes cost the same here and are danishNope, they're Australian!!

From their site -

RŘDE Microphones evolved from the Freedman Group of Companies, established in 1967 by Henry and Astrid Freedman, after immigrating to Australia from Sweden. Freedman Electronics was a pioneer in the Australian audio industry for the design, manufacture, installation and servicing of a diverse range of audio products. Loudspeakers, amplifiers, custom electronics and microphones were all a part of the company's expertise; all of which took place within the confines of the small but unique Australian market.

Ongoing microphone research and development within Freedman Electronics, both in the laboratory and in the field, would later drive the ambition to design and produce superior microphone products.

In 1990, the decision was made to produce and market the first RŘDE microphone.

Martti Ekstrand
09-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Oh, I've been mislead by the danish Ř which is written with umlauts in swedish: Ö. Still they have roughly same price levels here as for you down under.