View Full Version : Best rolling-shutter video ever

Barry_Green
09-04-2009, 07:40 AM

MikeWilkinson
09-04-2009, 07:52 AM
That makes my brain hurt.

arrestthisman
09-14-2009, 09:55 AM
It just goes to show you that CMOS is the greatest technology in the world!!!!!....... if everything stays perfectly still.

(when is CMOS going to get a global shutter anyway?)

Cranky
09-14-2009, 10:07 AM
The bendy coin video was pretty cool as well: http://www.vimeo.com/604275

PerroneFord
09-14-2009, 11:26 AM
It just goes to show you that CMOS is the greatest technology in the world!!!!!....... if everything stays perfectly still.

(when is CMOS going to get a global shutter anyway?)

Probably about the same time CCD solves it's light smear issue.

Jackson Miller
09-15-2009, 12:37 AM
That is nuts! That doesn't really make any sense at all. They just appear and dissapear. Weird.

USLatin
09-15-2009, 01:09 AM
LIES!!! I've done that before, it is a common phenomenon that happens within the Bermuda Triangle. (he musta been flying over an island or something)

That is hilarious!

Thanks for sharing Barry.

arrestthisman
09-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Perroneford:

Don't get me wrong, the EX-1 is a fantastic camera. I'd buy one in a second if the HMC150 didn't exist, and no doubt the EX-1 is way sharper. But I haven't run into any realworld smear issues, whereas it seems like rolling shutter is much more concerning, again, in the real world.

That said, The RED and EX-1 handle it very well, I think we are talking about "the rest" of cmos based acquisition (I'm sure there are other exceptions too).

Jackson Miller
09-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah, that is just an Iphone. It's not that hard to shoot around either issue.

PerroneFord
09-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Perroneford:

Don't get me wrong, the EX-1 is a fantastic camera. I'd buy one in a second if the HMC150 didn't exist, and no doubt the EX-1 is way sharper. But I haven't run into any realworld smear issues, whereas it seems like rolling shutter is much more concerning, again, in the real world.

And in the year and a half since I've owned my EX1, I haven't run into a single rolling shutter issue. In the real world.

For me, the light smear issue was a problem, as I sometimes need to shoot against strong lights. Many people do not. You just have to choose what's best for you and go with it.

Mitch_Ives
10-31-2009, 09:32 PM
I think you've been fortunate. Everyone I know that owns one, is removing frames with problems.

The first day we shot with one, there was a police car in the frame, and the strobe lights created completely unusable footage. Giant white blobs each time they went off. While shooting a music video in a club, there were all those white bars appearing in 1/4-1/3 of the frame, each time a still camera strobe went off. Dolly tracking along a sidewalk with a lot of verticals in the background, got us the famous "roadrunner effect" where everything leans during movement, and then snaps straight when stopping. If EX-1s are involved, we insist on at least three cams. I'm also allowing for the possibility of extra editing charges for EX-1 footage, since we have to locate an remove any white bars or other issues.

The camera puts out a nice image if everything is perfect. I have noticed that Sony is applying a s@#*load of sharpening, as any attempt to use the edge focus feature on our expensive HD monitors results in everything being edged in red. In other words, it thinks everything in the frame is in focus, when it isn't. Doesn't happen with other cams...

PerroneFord
10-31-2009, 10:30 PM
I don't think I've been fortunate. I simply bought a camera that was suited to what I shoot. 99% of what I shoot is either corporate, architectural, or interview. If I was primarly shooting action narrative, I would have made a different choice.

I am curious to your comment about Sony applying a lot of sharpening. Hopefully, you didn't just shoot with the camera out of the box. These camera's need to be tweaked prior to use. There is no sharpening in my picture profiles, and frankly, I feel my footage looks wonderful, as have my clients. I am currently working with one in a different capacity this month, and he stil lcan't stop raving about the commercial I shot for him in the spring. I had dolly shots, cranes, horiz. and vert. pans, etc. Footage came out beautifully.

The EX series is certainly not the camera for all needs. But if it suits your purpose, it's one of the nicest cams out there at anything near it's price.

Mitch_Ives
11-01-2009, 09:01 AM
I don't think I've been fortunate. I simply bought a camera that was suited to what I shoot. 99% of what I shoot is either corporate, architectural, or interview. If I was primarly shooting action narrative, I would have made a different choice.

Wise man... and this is the point that should be made more often.

I am curious to your comment about Sony applying a lot of sharpening. Hopefully, you didn't just shoot with the camera out of the box. These camera's need to be tweaked prior to use. There is no sharpening in my picture profiles, and frankly, I feel my footage looks wonderful, as have my clients. I am currently working with one in a different capacity this month, and he stil lcan't stop raving about the commercial I shot for him in the spring. I had dolly shots, cranes, horiz. and vert. pans, etc. Footage came out beautifully.

It's not in the profiles... it's the way Sony built it. They're known for this, for as long as I can remember... which is longer than I like to admit. I set up the camera at a meeting and demonstrated this, using the EX-1, HVX, and a couple of others. Only the Sony had enough edge sharpening that the monitor couldn't distinguish the area in focus. It's a challenge, as it renders one of the best features of the high-end HD monitors useless.

If you knew me, and had ever read any of my reviews, you'd know that I always start with the camera as it came from the mfg, and then I work with every setting imagineable... none of my cameras are setup as they came. Good question, though.

zijital
11-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Barry, that footage is GREAT! So is the coin footage.

I do think it is funny that CMOS footage from a camera phone has been turned into a comparison to footage from a $7,000+ camera that can't make phone calls or play video games.

I think that PerroneFord & Mitch Ives are dead on, get a camera that fits your needs. There is no ONE camera that works for every workflow, every budget, every person.

Don't buy a motorcycle if you need a minivan.

This just reminds me that the biggest problem with CMOS is that people have a problem with CMOS. I think 99% of average viewers are going to be highly entertained by watching both of those videos. While 99% of the CMOS kool-aid drinking hyper-aware haters are going to hate those videos.

And since the argument that viewers don't notice CMOS for many applications doesn't hold water for the CMOS haters, the argument that a Panasonic AVC-Intra 1920x1080 CCD camera costs 3x-4x as much as a CMOS camera, I personally welcome CMOS cameras.

TimurCivan
11-05-2009, 08:23 PM
i think its so pretty....

G.P.
11-05-2009, 11:28 PM
You don't need CMOS cameras to get that effect, just get really DRUNK!

On a serious note, yeah... that's bad... but it does open up ideas to weird special effect shots.
if you asked someone to make that effect in post production, it would have taken someone a week. This was done instantly. Have no idea why you'd want this effect, but none the less it looks freaking cool. Wouldn't want it in anything I shoot though.

TimurCivan
11-05-2009, 11:47 PM
i can totally see that as the "propeller of the future".... I think it has merit....

ihatedv
11-06-2009, 05:44 AM
I'd say that's a Garrett engine? TPE-331. Maybe on a Jetstream 31/41 or a SAAB.

LOL

Gary Huff
11-06-2009, 05:59 AM
There is no ONE camera that works for every workflow, every budget, every person.

Damn straight.

Dfewer
11-24-2009, 03:57 AM
I suddenly feel the urge to white balance the inside of a barf bag with contents of my stomach.

kyotonils
11-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Get a real camera! ;-)

Duke M.
11-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Personally I have a CMOS camera and a 3CCD camera, then I pick the right camera for the job.

Denwa
12-07-2009, 07:27 PM
That MUST be a real prop casue TV don't lie!

CMOS maybe just become my new FX sensor. :)