PDA

View Full Version : how do you soften GH 1 footage in Sony Vegas?

chrismagicc
09-02-2009, 11:09 PM
is it possible to soften GH 1 footage in Sony Vegas? Its seems as though the footage i shoot is too sharp, and it make the footage look plastic like. I know that i can turn down the sharpening in the Film Mode menu etc, but i heard that sharpening helps with the codec, and having the best image possible is key for me.

plugins?

Ben_B
09-03-2009, 12:09 AM
I use Magic Bullet Looks on my mac and I know it could handle this pretty well, I'd introduce a little grain and some softness, etc.

Have you purchased a portrait lens to use with the camera? My 50mm Nikon f/1.4 is very pleasingly soft (sometimes too soft) on the Gh1...although with the crop factor the FOV is a little narrow.

msorrels
09-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Duplicate the track. Apply a tiny Gaussian Blur. Change the compositing mode to add and set the level to a low number. It will make your shot kind of dreamy looking, but that effect can be balanced(lower blur, lower mix).

I seem to remember some 3D friends talking about adding a tiny, tiny bit of horizontal blur to renders to help with the too sharp 3D look. Might want to try playing around with just a blur on the footage itself. And of course Magic Bullet(the real Looks or even the ones that come with Vegas) is always an option as well.

dojoman
09-03-2009, 11:35 AM
If you switch to Natural mode on GH1 it might help. Vegas works too but rendering takes very long if you have long footage.

chrismagicc
09-03-2009, 07:01 PM
thanks a bunch, i will try out magic bullet looks