PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL/NO LEAK: Canon 7D Official US Press Release

Pages : 1 [2]

egproductions
09-03-2009, 09:37 AM
I can also see A LOT of people talking about razor-thin depth of field... in my opinion the depth of field in the latest 5D videos is TOO THIN. Yes, there it is, I said it. Too thin. If you can, it doesn't mean you should. I can't undestand why people shoot with f/1.4 , f/1.2... what's the point? Everybody who owns a 5D Mark II tries to shoot EVERYTHING with shallow depth of field just because they can, not because there is a reason for it. I was looking at Philip Bloom's blog the other day, he's got some nice footage but God he shoots everything at f/-1. Even the stills when showing some piece of gear are shot using 1mm shallow depth of field (example here is an example (http://philipbloom.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/IMG_01531.jpg)).

As others said, RED one is similar to a 1.6x sensor. Also, when shooting film you have the depth of field similar to a 1.6x sensor.. so why do people complain? Oh, I know: you won't feel your footage is good enough if it's got more then than 1mm sharp? :doh:

The DOF is going to be the same on the 7D as with the 5D if you are using the same Canon F1.2 lenses anyway. If somebody chooses the 50mm 1.2 over the 85mm 1.2 then the perceived DOF will be deeper (even though technically the DOF is the same between these two lenses but thats a different discussion)

I don't see why you should go for a smaller sensor just because you have the ability to get very shallow DOF with a larger sensor. Either choose wider lenses with 5D, stand further back or stop down your aperture. I know that stoping down your aperture will cause you to loose some low light capabilities but the larger sensor is probably giving you about 1 stop of room to boost the ISO over a cropped sensor anyway.

Yes, some people will shoot closeups at 1.2 but that will just make your footage look better because you don't do silly things such as this. Personally, if I had a choice between a 50mm 1.4 on a 7d or an 85 f1.4 on a 5D, I would rather shoot with the 85 @ f2.0 and ISO up 1 stop with a 5D then with the 50mm wide open and a lower ISO on the 7D. Framing being equal the 5D will have a bolder image because you are using a longer focal length which pronounces the background and you are shooting at a sharper aperture with the 85mm lens. The only good thing about using the 50mm on the cropped sensor is that you are discarding the edges of the lens which is the worst part optically.

Abaddon
09-03-2009, 09:57 AM
I really love the fact that we can get memory for sooooooo much cheeper than those stupid ass P2 cards.

Voytech
09-03-2009, 10:24 AM
I really love the fact that we can get memory for sooooooo much cheeper than those stupid ass P2 cards.
Call them stupid if you want but check how many people lost footage due to a CF/SD card failure.

Abaddon
09-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Call them stupid if you want but check how many people lost footage due to a CF/SD card failure.

What kind of CF/SD cards did they use?

ryansheffer
09-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Funny truth is...I've actually lost more footage from P2 cards.

Rakesh Jacob
09-03-2009, 10:45 AM

I have never had an issue with SDHC or P2 but if it makes you feel better to spend on $400 on 16GB, be my guest!

mcgeedigital
09-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Funny truth is...I've actually lost more footage from P2 cards.

Then you are in a very small minority indeed.

NoxNoctus
09-03-2009, 11:03 AM
In 10 years in using CF cards, most pro some non-pro, I've only lost 1 card and it was due to my camera malfunctioning. I was still able to get data off of it but new photos started corrupting.

TimurCivan
09-03-2009, 11:49 PM
I know, I know.......damn you:Drogar-Dum(DBG): If you do get the 7D please post your findings. I learned almost everything I know about the HVX from your posts here.

When I fist got it I used to type your name in the search box and just read post after post regarding the HVX.

Okay... I'm done being soft.:beer: FOOOTBAAAALL!

thanks dude....

also... theres a search function?

TimurCivan
09-03-2009, 11:54 PM
i just got a photo job for BCBG, i may just pull the trigger on a 5D Tommorow!!!!!!!!!!!!