PDA

View Full Version : Absolute best AVCHD transcoder + workflow?

Canadafirst
08-27-2009, 01:41 AM
What is the Absolute best AVCHD transcoder + workflow?

For PC.

OK, I'm a relative noob.

Objective: Absolute best output (.mov/PhotoJPEG)

Problem: AVCHD transcoder quality

Software: CS4, VoltaicHD, Cyberlink Power Producer 7

Question: In terms of ouput quality, what is the best way to go with AVCHD. VoltaicHD seems to have quality issues. CS4 is slow, and Cyberlink PP seems to have limited output options.

I want to transcode into .mov with the Absolute best quality available.

Plaese help.

Option B: Just shoot MJPEG on the GH1. Any opinions on the quality of it?

Thanks,

Barry_Green
08-27-2009, 09:04 AM
If you're on Windows, why do you want to go to a .mov?

I think the best transcoder for quality is probably the Canopus HQ transcoder, if you're an EDIUS user -- but it doesn't provide for 24p pulldown removal, last I checked.

Cineform NeoScene does, and it also fixes the chroma during the process, so in general it might be the best.

With either of those, file sizes are huge.

MJPEG on the GH1 is okay, nothing really to write home about, and it's limited to 720/30p.

Cranky
08-27-2009, 09:25 AM
I want to transcode into .mov with the Absolute best quality available.
What for?

tony240sx
08-27-2009, 10:42 AM
I don't have this cam yet, but hopefully this week the order is going down. I am just wondering if the workflow is the same as the hmc150's avchd footage. I log and transfer to prores in FCP 6 and the footage looks amazing. I'm assuming it's the same process for the gh1 108024p footage, but just want to make sure.

TrueIndigo
08-27-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm using a proxy system (low res work files made with a video utility) so I can go on editing without having to yet have an answer about what final output file format to use! At the moment I think I'll end up converting the camera files to uncompressed (avi or mov or even sequence files) to take the place of the proxy files (so I can do colour correction with the least degradation). Yes, file sizes can be big but that seems to be inevitable even with the wavelet type options (and in this case only the files used in the final cut need the final uncompressed treatment, not every file). Finally I would export the timeline to make mpeg files to create a standard definition DVD (does this sound like a good workflow?).

Canadafirst
08-27-2009, 02:34 PM
My target it is stock video.

.mov/PhotoJPEG at 90-95% is the best.

Coco Bermudez
08-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Is there a sure way to do it via FCP? I use the log and transfer but do ot quite understand the logic behind it all

dojoman
08-31-2009, 03:08 PM
If you use Vegas you don't even need to transcode. Vegas is probably the easiest to use.

Barry_Green
08-31-2009, 06:52 PM
Many (most) editors on Windows avoid the need to transcode; EDIUS and EDIUS Neo and Premiere Pro cS4 and Vegas, and Nero and Ulead and Pinnacle, they can all avoid transcoding.

What they can't do, is remove pulldown from the 24p footage.

So if you want to use 720p mode, any of those editors would be fine and will work natively with the footage.

But if you want to edit 1080/24p footage *as 24p*, you'll have to manually strip out the pulldown, and that's where we have to come back to NeoScene or Voltaic.