PDA

View Full Version : "ZIMM" - A StormFactory Production

StormFactory
08-25-2009, 03:51 AM
NOTE: There have been problems with downloading the film from the site. Make sure that the file is 47.8MB before playing it
If the film ends before the credits, then it did not download correctly.

http://www.stormfactory.com/dvxuser/zimm_one_sheet_01.png (http://www.stormfactory.com/dvxuser/zimm_one_sheet_01.png)
[temporary poster]

Written & Directed by
Gregory Storm

Produced by
Maryam Storm

StormFactory
08-25-2009, 03:52 AM
CREW

Writer / Director / DP: Gregory Storm

Producer: Maryam Storm

First AD: Shawn Thomas

Second AD: John Henderson

Music: Justin R. Durban - Note to everybody. Justin has credit as composer but since I had my editing problems and had to start over the edit on a rush, I never got a chance to send Justin the picture lock to do his scoring magic. So this is in no way a full representation of his kick ass work.

Make-up: Donna Krugler

Special FX Make-up: Katie Machaiek

Script Supervisor: Stephen Warner

CAST

Bailey Zimm: Brad Raider
http://www.zimmtheseries.com/brad_raider.jpg

Agent Sutherland: Maryam Storm
http://www.zimmtheseries.com/maryam_storm.jpg

Agent Clarkson: Ryan Sands
http://www.zimmtheseries.com/ryan_sands.jpg

Dr. Rubye Lee: J.C. Brandy
http://www.zimmtheseries.com/jc_brandy.jpg

Creature: Edward Singletary
http://www.zimmtheseries.com/edward_singletary.jpg

Young Bailey Zimm: Sammy Jack
http://www.zimmtheseries.com/sammy_jack.jpg

StormFactory
08-25-2009, 03:52 AM
Tuesday, August, 25, 2009
- This fest looks like too much fun to miss, so I decided to throw my ring in the hat.
- Fade In on screenplay.
- Casting Breakdown for title character goes out.

StormFactory
08-25-2009, 03:53 AM
[Coming Soon]

StormFactory
08-25-2009, 03:53 AM
Here are a few frame grabs from our first day of shooting.

http://www.zimmtheseries.com/zimm_scene5_05.jpg

http://www.zimmtheseries.com/zimm_scene5_01.jpg

http://www.zimmtheseries.com/zimm_scene5_03.jpg

http://www.zimmtheseries.com/zimm_scene5_02.jpg

[More Coming Soon]

StormFactory
10-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Just had our first day of shooting. It went pretty well, but still have a lot more to shoot this weekend before the deadline. We'll see if we can make it. Frame grabs coming later tonight.

Jason Ramsey
11-02-2009, 09:58 PM
I just wanted to give this film a friendly bump to let everyone know that it was a late upload (just received it a few moments ago) and that we will be adding it to the list of exhibition entries... hopefully larry can do that tomorrow morning or something.

It is not in the zip files... just wanted to let everyone know :)

Later,
Jason

ZazaCast
11-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Lets us know when it's ready... I would like to see it!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Why not watch it now? :)

http://www.dvxfest.com/monsterfest/index.php?id=3600662

ZazaCast
11-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Wow.. that was fast.. thanks!
(wiseass... LOL))

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Sounds was a little rough and choppy but this looked great. With some polish it could have done very well in the Fest.
Great camera work throughout aside from the odd bit here and there. The lead was quite good as well.

Production value was very high.

SPOILERS!!

Loved the sci-fi twist and the ending was sweet! Nice to have a couple of sci-fi flicks in this fest. :)

Well done.

MAH

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Wow.. that was fast.. thanks!
(wiseass... LOL))
LOL! You know me too well. :D

Troy Ruff
11-03-2009, 10:18 AM
wow how did you sneak in? Any how, film was great. I loved the lighting and camera work. The only thing that pulled me out of the moment, was the woman actress in the plane. But other then that, it was fun and entertaining. thanks for sharing.

ZazaCast
11-03-2009, 10:34 AM
"Easy there cupcake..." THE best line in the fest!

Really nice job and as Mike stated needs a little audio work, but really... great job.
The monster was spot on. Congratulations to all involved.

Edgen
11-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Sweet man! Better late then never?

at least you got in as an exhibition.

/j

StormFactory
11-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Sounds was a little rough and choppy but this looked great. With some polish it could have done very well in the Fest.
Great camera work throughout aside from the odd bit here and there. The lead was quite good as well.

Production value was very high.

SPOILERS!!

Loved the sci-fi twist and the ending was sweet! Nice to have a couple of sci-fi flicks in this fest. :)

Well done.

MAHIt was a nightmare getting this thing finished. Vista - which sucks - and Sony Vegas stopped recognizing the AAC audio in my project. Then Quicktime stopped working all together. Had to uninstall QT and go with QT Alternative just to get picture back. Then still more problems with Vegas not being able to have a large project (.veg) file. It crashed and corrupted my file to where I couldn't open it anymore. That happened late Thursday night as I was getting to the stage of doing the final render for the fest. At that point nothing was working and I had to start the entire edit from scratch. Ahh, good times.

Anyway, I agree about the sound needing some polish. It think that is above my expertise at this point. Maybe Justin can tell me how to work the magic.

Glad you thought the production value was high. That means a lot being we only had a two to three person crew.

Which is the other Sci-fi project? I haven't seen it yet.

As for the ending, would you watch another episode?

Chris_Keaton
11-03-2009, 04:17 PM
It was a nightmare getting this thing finished. Vista - which sucks - and Sony Vegas stopped recognizing the AAC audio in my project. Then Quicktime stopped working all together. Had to uninstall QT and go with QT Alternative just to get picture back. Then still more problems with Vegas not being able to have a large project (.veg) file. It crashed and corrupted my file to where I couldn't open it anymore. That happened late Thursday night as I was getting to the stage of doing the final render for the fest. At that point nothing was working and I had to start the entire edit from scratch. Ahh, good times.

I blame the aliens.

I liked it. It looked really good and felt like a whole story, but I can see where you could expand it. I'm also impressed you got a plane to film in.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Which is the other Sci-fi project? I haven't seen it yet.

As for the ending, would you watch another episode?

It's mine actually. Just check my banner.
And yes, you were just getting going! I would definitely tune into the next episode.

Maximus
11-05-2009, 08:20 PM
A very ambitious short, lots of characters and locations. Kudos for pulling it off.

Well cast, and the acting for the most part, was pretty good. The film looked great.

With some sound work, and a little more polish, this could be a winner.

One of my favorites. :beer:

Charli
11-06-2009, 12:00 PM
This could easily make the top five because it felt larger than a hokey short film. Lead was good, but some of the dialogue was just bit flippant, a little much for a little long.

The lighting on the therapist, her eyes were dark, he was fine, but you needed to work on her lighting and I would have liked to have seen a shot of them both in the scene or maybe some movement of the camera here.

The story moved quickly and the locations and angles felt like film - so good job.

Rodney V. Smith
11-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I have to redownload this again. The download keeps failing on me for some reason so I only see part of the movie.

How'd you get the set for the plane? Was that a real plane or a set?

One minor quibble from what I've seen: female Federal Agents are required to have their hair pulled back, ponytal. I know you can't fix it now, just was such a major distraction while I was watching it.

I'll be back to give a full review once I get the full file downloaded and viewed.

Tell us about the plane set.

Matt Sconce
11-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Extremely well done. There were some great moments. The story kept me guessing and the lead was believable. I could see this being part of a pilot on TV for a new series. The minor thing that stood out is something I struggled with in my short "Push". During the dialogue scene between the counselor and the lead, it felt like it was cut "I am talking" CUT "Now I am talking" Cut "Back to me talking" etc. I would have liked to see some reactions of the character who was not talking while the other was speaking. It would have helped me stay in the story. Great ending! Makes me curious to see what happens next!

Rakesh Jacob
11-06-2009, 06:30 PM
OK I'm in, I wanna see more!

Robert Eldon
11-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Greg,

Good for you! You got an entry into the fest (too bad it is exhibition only, but I still rated it).

Really top notch cinematography and camera work. Good editing. Good acting, especially the main character. I felt as if I were watching part of a theatrical movie or TV series.

It was nice to see the 'monster' a number of times during the film. It was satisfying.

It's really cool that you were able to use an airline set, but I thought the 'turbulence' and the acting was here was the weakest part of the film.

My favorite parts of the film were the banter between the main character and the FBI agent. I liked the shot of the main character in the leather chair and the last shot with the reveal of the 'monster' (alien?).

Thanks for the entry, I enjoyed watching this from beginning to end. :thumbsup:

Dauntless
11-08-2009, 06:46 AM
This was great... It felt like an X-files episode... The only problem is my video freezes as soon as he see's the alien? Was that the end or is the file corrupt?... Good acting, nice lighting, interesting dialogue, great monster makeup.... Really good... thanks for the short!

EditPhish
11-09-2009, 05:41 PM
How'd you get the set for the plane? Was that a real plane or a set?

JTyner and I were wondering the exact same thing... Whether a set or a real plane, very cool that you pulled it off!

Overall, I enjoyed your film quite a bit. I came away from it thinking there was HUGE potential. The story kept me interested. The cinematography was overall very good. The color correction looked professional.

Nitpicks would be that you seemed to struggled with sound (or it was unfinished?)... some of the acting was a bit stiff (and I think Matt's comment on your editing during the therapy scene was spot-on).

It also seemed cut-off to me at the end... I'm not sure if the file was bad or if you didn't get a chance to finish?

I loved when the lead calls the agent "cupcake" - made me laugh (in a good way!)

Thumbs up... good job overall... look forward to seeing more from you in the future!

jasonthewho
11-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Your lead actor is fantastic. Really strong actor. A lot of good visual stuff here.

The sound was weak, as has been pointed out. Most distractingly in the parking garage.

Definitely an interesting, compelling opening to something longer. As a short, there's no closure, so that's disappointing. But you're definitely a strong filmmaker, and I'd love to see more of your stuff.

Maximus
11-09-2009, 07:00 PM
It also seemed cut-off to me at the end... I'm not sure if the file was bad or if you didn't get a chance to finish?

As a short, there's no closure, so that's disappointing.

I think you may have missed the ending. I had to reload this one several times to get the last couple seconds. And it is definetely worth it. The climax is very powerful.

Open ended, but it works great in this context. :thumbup:

jasonthewho
11-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Is it just seeing the monster from the beginning? Cause I saw that. If there's something else, then no, I didn't.

I guess to say there's no closure isn't exactly true, but it seems more like the pilot to a tv show than a complete short film.

Charli
11-09-2009, 07:24 PM
I think the fact it felt like a 'pilot' made the production value go way up! So that's more a compliment than not. It was very well put together.

Sprocketboy
11-09-2009, 07:27 PM
You have quite a track record and this short shows off some of your skillz. Its really well done. The screenplay and performances kept my interest from beginning to end. I did feel like I was watching something very formulaic in structure. Not a bad thing. You did manage to make it work within the short time frame of this fest. DP work is really good, but the grading is not so good. The black levels are crushed too much during the therapy scene and the plane scene. The sound issues are obvious. Why is this exhibition only? Are late for the date, cupcake? Nice job.

Blaine
11-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Too bad you got this uploaded late. It was a very nice entry. I remember you asking about going the SAG actor route. It looks like you took it. The acting was excellent across the board. I thought the writing was good...as good as anything in the fest. It was well shot and edited.

I'm familiar with a few airplane standing sets in the L.A. area. Was the the airplane sequence shot in one of them?

Maximus
11-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Is it just seeing the monster from the beginning? Cause I saw that. If there's something else, then no, I didn't.

I guess to say there's no closure isn't exactly true, but it seems more like the pilot to a tv show than a complete short film.

There is something else. It lasts about 2 seconds.

I agree it does seem like a teaser for a tv series or webisode.

jasonthewho
11-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Okay, finally downloaded a version with the complete end. That is better, and an ending with more pop. But, I still hold to my previous statement.

StormFactory
11-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Holy crap! I had no idea "Zimm" had this many comments. Thanks guys.

I was shooting another project and missed this. Thanks to everybody who has commented so far. I really appreciate the feedback so keep it coming.

StormFactory
11-14-2009, 01:31 PM
wow how did you sneak in? Any how, film was great. I loved the lighting and camera work. The only thing that pulled me out of the moment, was the woman actress in the plane. But other then that, it was fun and entertaining. thanks for sharing.Which part of that plane scene? Was it the "We're gonna die. We're all gonna die!" line?

"Easy there cupcake..." THE best line in the fest!

Really nice job and as Mike stated needs a little audio work, but really... great job.
The monster was spot on. Congratulations to all involved.Wow. Best line in the fest? Awesome.

StormFactory
11-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Sweet man! Better late then never?

at least you got in as an exhibition.

/jYeah at least people are able to see it. See the note that I added to the credits post.