Pages : [1] 2

Sprocketboy
08-24-2009, 07:07 PM
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_poster_v2.jpg

TAGLINE
'Playtime is over.'

SYNOPSIS
Two young boys are about to discover the mystery behind a jack-in-the-box
recovered 65 years ago from a Nazi concentration camp.

Written by Chris Keaton
Directed, Produced and Edited by Alex Lugones

Joe Capozzi as WWII Grandpa
Daniel Johnson as Jeffries
Christopher Ide as Mac

Liam Makrogiannis as Bill
Alex Marshall as Tim

Joe Lang as Nazi Satanist

Director of Photography - Robert Ansbro
1st Assistant Camera - Matt Howe
Gaffer - Seth Crosby
Sound - Jason Mangini
Makeup & Special Effects - Cynthia O'Rourke
Assistant Makeup Artist - Belinda Keatts

Music Composed by Francesco De Leonardis

Sprocketboy
08-24-2009, 07:07 PM
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_cast01.jpg

Sprocketboy
08-24-2009, 07:08 PM
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_bts01.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_bts02.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_bts03.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_bts04.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_bts05.jpg

Sprocketboy
08-24-2009, 07:08 PM
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/TDT02.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/TDT01.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/TDT03.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/TDT04.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/TDT06.jpg

Chris_Keaton
08-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Great Poster!

Rodney V. Smith
08-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Uh oh. Welcome back: but uh oh

Tom Marshall
08-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Cool poster and I like the German Nazi flag in the background. Did you do this in a 3D app?

Mark Harris
08-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Looking forward to it!

TMerry
08-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Cool, I was hoping someone was going to cover Chris Keaton screenplay. It was a good read.

Welcome to the contest!

erich
08-25-2009, 06:23 AM
very cool, looking forward to it!

Sprocketboy
08-25-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm looking forward to this production myself. If... everything goes according to plan... the story should be a fast and frightening ride. I'm starting this thread earlier in the pre-production phase than I did in LossFest. So, right now I basically have a script, some locations, a crew and equipment.

At the moment, I'm waiting on two things before moving forward - the two child actors and WWII wardrobe. I should have more information by this weekend.

Sprocketboy
08-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Cool poster and I like the German Nazi flag in the background. Did you do this in a 3D app?

Yes. LightWave 3D. Its a great way to design props before constructing them.

Sprocketboy
08-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Cool, I was hoping someone was going to cover Chris Keaton screenplay. It was a good read.

It has several elements I like. The WWII scenery, a vintage jack-in-the-box (frightening toy) and children in creepy situations. The threat is bigger when children are involved. Chris also wrote the script respectfully, not stepping on the director's toes. He left room for creative interpretation.

ZazaCast
08-25-2009, 08:57 AM
This should be a good...even if Chris did write the script! (I kid) Looking forward to it, this theme seemed to work well for Tarantino.

Richard J. Johnson
08-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Nice! welcome back. I'm sure the script and the direction of said script will be top notch.

Lawsuit_Boy
08-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Certainly an interesting poster. Got my attention!

Sprocketboy
08-25-2009, 12:23 PM
This should be a good...even if Chris did write the script! (I kid) Looking forward to it, this theme seemed to work well for Tarantino.

I'm still looking for a David Bowie song to put in this film.

Nice! welcome back. I'm sure the script and the direction of said script will be top notch.

Wow! Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hope you are shooting a film for this Fest.

Certainly an interesting poster. Got my attention!

This poster is a 'work in progress.' I'm glad the marketing hype is catching attention. Now, I have to live up to it. :lipsrseal

DarkElastic
08-25-2009, 12:37 PM

Scary Monsters & Super Creeps

ZazaCast
08-25-2009, 01:19 PM

Fame!

Sprocketboy
08-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Marshall hit the nail on the head - 'Scary Monsters and Super Creeps.' His music acumen is impressive.

Zaza... 'Fame' is a little too bourgeois for me, but a good try.

DarkElastic
08-25-2009, 02:54 PM
'Bows'
Thank you.

ZazaCast
08-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Zaza... 'Fame' is a little too bourgeois for me, but a good try.

O.k., Mr. FancyPants...."Ziggy Stardust" ...put that in your crackpipe and smoke it!:Drogar-Smoke(DBG):

:laugh:

Christian Vincent Jung
08-25-2009, 04:37 PM
What's not to like? Nazis, good. Devil, gooood. And it fits together oh so well! :D

Michael Anthony Horrigan
08-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Loved your last entry. Really looking forward to seeing what you do this Fest.

MAH

Sprocketboy
08-25-2009, 09:03 PM
O.k., Mr. FancyPants...."Ziggy Stardust" ...put that in your crackpipe and smoke it!:Drogar-Smoke(DBG):

:laugh:

That's more like it. :thumbsup:

Chris_Keaton
08-28-2009, 11:08 AM
I never got the link between Nazis and David Bowie. :evil:

DarkElastic
08-28-2009, 11:19 AM
If you play his songs backwards to can hear 'Heil Hitler' in them all ;-)

Sprocketboy
08-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Tarantino made the bold decision to put in a cut of Bowie's "Putting Out Fire with Gasoline" (originally debuted in the 1982 version of Cat People) in his new film, Inglorious Basterds. If you haven't seen the film... watch it!

DarkElastic
08-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I saw it, I liked it very much - it is extremely funny with great dilogue exchanges and action sequences, back to the Tarantino level we expect... But, it was incredibly silly and totally changed history, which was a shame in my book. I was also not overally happy with the mixing of Western and World War 2 genres.
Still well worth seeing though.

Marlon Ladd
08-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Great poster! Very intriguing concept.

Arturo Sanchez
08-29-2009, 06:45 PM
I think Im going to like this one.. My two bestest things in life.

Sprocketboy
08-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Great poster! Very intriguing concept.

I hope so. I'm up to my armpits in US military gear and Nazi paraphernalia. I'm pretty excited about some of my recent contacts... they will be bringing some much needed production value to the film. I'm pretty sure that this campfire story will turn out to be one startling little flick.

Sprocketboy
09-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Here are some locations I scouted this past week. I'm still looking for better options, but for now these locations are available with the land developer's blessing. My particular favorite is the last shot that I mocked up to use as reference in art direction. Its a 1 acre basement (cellar) built during the 1st world war to manufacture bicycle tires. The first two shots are the front and back of a spaghetti factory.

http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_location01.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_location02.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_location03.jpg

Rodney V. Smith
09-10-2009, 10:39 PM
location, location, location....love the location. i want it for my werewolf movie

Christian Halberg
09-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Great, great, great locations! They're all very atmospheric. I especially love the first picture -- There's something about that kind of sceneries when they're sunlit like that, which takes me back to the 70's and exploitation cinema (aesthetically speaking). :thumbsup:

Sarah Daly
09-16-2009, 07:50 AM
I am suitably intrigued! Mister Keaton's ramblings always please me.

Sprocketboy
09-17-2009, 09:20 PM
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_cast01.jpg

Here are the lead actors of THE DEVIL'S TOY. The two young boys will be posted here after the shoot is over. Its quite an ensemble.

ramsaur
09-17-2009, 10:06 PM
wow, that joe guy really looks like a grandpa...

Sprocketboy
09-17-2009, 10:22 PM
wow, that joe guy really looks like a grandpa...

You can blame Keaton for that. That's what he called him throughout the script and it stuck. Whether it is present day or WWII.

Chris_Keaton
09-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Haha, that's what my oldest said. 'How can you call him Grandpa when he's young?' Well he started as grandpa, so I kept him grandpa.:beer:

ZazaCast
09-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Nice locations...great looking cast...another winner!

Christian Vincent Jung
09-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Locations are really eerie - love 'em :)

As for the cast... Looking good. And I already have a personal favorite ;)

Sprocketboy
09-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Here are couple of shots of another location I secured this week. Its a smokin' location. Location, cast and crew are locked. On Monday, I'm scouting 3 more WWII locations. You never know they may render my first choice null.

http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_location04.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_location05.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_location06.jpg

ZazaCast
09-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Bedford! It's like 30 minutes from Yorktown Heights....Hey... get out of NY you bum! :grin:

Christian Vincent Jung
09-19-2009, 12:53 AM
This is getting better and better :D

Sprocketboy
09-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Bedford! It's like 30 minutes from Yorktown Heights....Hey... get out of NY you bum! :grin:

Sounds like you are familiar with the area. I'm originally a NY'er and quite familiar with Yorktown Heights. My Blue Heaven. :)

ZazaCast
09-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes! I used to be a manufacturer's rep for Ouzunoff & Associates...the main office is in Yorktown Heights. Spent many a day down there in the early 90's. Nice little town.

I had been through Bedford (can't remember why) and remember there were just a ton of really cool barns. I had wanted to do a coffee table book of photos of NYS barns...I saw some really cool ones in my travels around the state.

Sprocketboy
09-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Barns and horses are a big deal in Bedford, NY. Richard Gere recently opened a bed and breakfast / restaurant up the road from where I'm shooting the film. Its called The Bedford Post. There's a horse trail that runs right behind it, so you can hitch your horse to a post, go in and have a bite to eat. All this coolness comes at a price.

If my cast and crew think that they are getting a lunch break there... they are kidding themselves. :grin:

Christian Vincent Jung
09-20-2009, 12:33 AM
If my cast and crew think that they are getting a lunch break there... they are kidding themselves. :grin:

Maybe they will be sponsors - who knows! ;D

Sprocketboy
09-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Maybe they will be sponsors - who knows! ;D

Christian, let's see the end result. I could possibly entertain that idea. But, I certainly won't gamble away 2,529 DKK to feed lunch to the cast and crew on a whim that they will sponsor my little horror movie. But, I like your style. :thumbup:

ZazaCast
09-23-2009, 05:25 AM
Maybe you can get a few shots in Kahddafy's tent! He's got money too. Looks like Bedford is not too happy about having a terrorist pitch a tent on Trump's property.
This just gets better every day!

Marlon Ladd
09-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Did I miss when the shoot date is gonna' be?

Sprocketboy
09-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Maybe you can get a few shots in Kahddafy's tent! He's got money too. Looks like Bedford is not too happy about having a terrorist pitch a tent on Trump's property. This just gets better every day!

MSNBC viewer. Are you? That's how they spell his name, Kahddafy, and on CNN, they spell it Gadhafi. I heard you can spell his name 102 ways.

Trump does not own property in Bedford as far as I know. But, Kahddafy is welcomed to pitch a tent on George Soros' property. Ralph Lauren might give him a little room on his 250+ acre landscape. This place makes Beverly Hills look like an Indian brothel.

Did I miss when the shoot date is gonna' be?

I never announced a shooting date, but if you must know. It will be on the first weekend of October. All the players are in place.

ZazaCast
09-23-2009, 10:45 AM
No... just happened to see it on the Today Show as I took a sip of coffee this morning (I guess that IS NBC?)....almost blew it right out my nose! Too funny. I envisioned you getting some awesome footage in his tent. I mean really...talk about a Devil's Toy.

Rodney V. Smith
09-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Are you saying Sprocketboy has become the devil's toy now?

TMerry
09-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Sprocketboy, is the box going to be a practical box, or CG?

Sprocketboy
09-24-2009, 07:42 AM
No... just happened to see it on the Today Show as I took a sip of coffee this morning (I guess that IS NBC?)....almost blew it right out my nose! Too funny. I envisioned you getting some awesome footage in his tent. I mean really...talk about a Devil's Toy.

Khaddafy spoke for almost 90 mins. These are uncomfortable times.

Are you saying Sprocketboy has become the devil's toy now?

I hope not. :huh:

Sprocketboy, is the box going to be a practical box, or CG?

98% practical and 2% CG. The characters will be handling it. I don't want to get involved with a lot of post work. The CG moment is brief and will be indistinguishable from the practical moments. Here's a pic of the unfinished box:

Marlon Ladd
09-24-2009, 09:37 AM
I never announced a shooting date, but if you must know. It will be on the first weekend of October. All the players are in place.

Cool. Hope all goes well. The box looks pretty cool. Interested to see what you do with it.

Chris_Keaton
09-24-2009, 10:03 AM
That's some nice woodwork.

Denis Haineault
09-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Step one, you drill a hole in the box.
Step two...

sorry, I couldn't resist.

Sprocketboy
09-24-2009, 06:10 PM
That's some nice woodwork.

Yes. The lid and lip edge have triple bevels. There are no seams on the corners. Not an easy task for a woodworker to create. This unassuming box is the star of the show and deserves a considerable amount of attention.

It will be an inch smaller in height, width and depth compared to the Jack-in-the-box toys we are use to 5 1/2 inches in all dimensions. They were made small and out of wood back in the good old days.

Sprocketboy
09-24-2009, 09:10 PM

I must have had my head in a hole. I thought you were messing with me. Moammar Gadhafi in Bedford is the real thing and no less on Trumps property. I didn't think he had property there.

Here is the news piece:
http://www.wcbs880.com/Bedford-Battle-Continues/5294867

Chris_Keaton
09-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Yes. The lid and lip edge have triple bevels. There are no seams on the corners. Not an easy task for a woodworker to create. This unassuming box is the star of the show and deserves a considerable amount of attention.

It will be an inch smaller in height, width and depth compared to the Jack-in-the-box toys we are use to 5 1/2 inches in all dimensions. They were made small and out of wood back in the good old days.

Well if you need a woodworker to make a terrible looking box. A box that's misshapen and has plenty of gaps I'm your man. As my shop teacher said 'give 'em the tools and he'll screw it up.'

ZazaCast
09-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Wow... nice box!

(never thought I'd be saying that to a man... :huh:)

Rodney V. Smith
09-26-2009, 09:30 AM
What time does your shoot start?

Sprocketboy
09-26-2009, 10:34 AM
What time does your shoot start?

Next Saturday at 7am in Hartford, CT. I had to plan that day way in advance. This has turned into a production heavy short, but I think its worth it.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
09-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Next Saturday at 7am in Hartford, CT. I had to plan that day way in advance. This has turned into a production heavy short, but I think its worth it.
I'm betting it will be. Best of luck on Saturday. :thumbup:

Tom Marshall
09-29-2009, 01:11 AM

Best of luck with production... :beer:

Sprocketboy
10-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Tomorrow is the first day of a two day shooting frenzy. We are putting my HVX200 aside on this one and shooting the flick on a Panasonic Varicam 3700. I'm really pleased we have top-flight camera for the shoot but my focus is the story and pace at which its presented.

Here is a photo of the box in a base form of construction. Its missing some details including the pentagram.

ZazaCast
10-02-2009, 10:55 AM
We are putting my HVX200 aside on this one and shooting the flick on a Panasonic Varicam 3700.

Nice...just a quick little flic...on a $60,000.00 camera....excuuuuuse me!
So much for poor indie filmmakers.:happy:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sprocketboy
10-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Apparently, Keaton's script has a perfect combination of elements that make for a compelling "boogeyman" story. The raw concept of the story drew in the interest of many "connected" people in CT and NY. It allowed me to get the best locations I can possibly imagine for free. Many of my pals in the industry wanted to help out for no pay. It kept snowballing into something larger. People love horror.

I originally had my HVX200 ready to go for the whole thing. It will actually be used for a series of shots in the middle of the story (15 to 30 secs).

I'm still not breaking $4000 on this production. I consider that still in the indie realm. Right? :thumbsup:

ZazaCast
10-02-2009, 12:23 PM
... I don't know... but this had better be a killer film! (no pressure):happy:

Sprocketboy
10-02-2009, 12:26 PM
... I don't know... but this had better be a killer film! (no pressure):happy:

Spoken like a true studio head. Yikes!

ZazaCast
10-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Studio head? No... I'm just a hack!

Tom Marshall
10-02-2009, 06:55 PM
So you're doing the box in 3d? If so, are you doing anything else with 3d?

Rodney V. Smith
10-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Good luck on the shoot tomorrow dude. jealous of the varicam. really really jealous.

Sprocketboy
10-02-2009, 08:26 PM
So you're doing the box in 3d? If so, are you doing anything else with 3d?

98% of the time its a practical prop. 2% of the time 3D. I'm not sure if I will inject a lot of 3D into this short. We are taking plates of some shots for the possibility.

Good luck on the shoot tomorrow dude. jealous of the varicam. really really jealous.

Don't be. But then again, it does have 10 stops of latitude. ASA 400. Great for dark scary scenes. No noise. All these things make it more difficult to hide my mistakes. :Drogar-Shock(DBG):

I'm hitting the sack early for this one. Its going to be a long day.

Chris_Keaton
10-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Good Luck! I wish I was there with you.

Sprocketboy
10-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Good Luck! I wish I was there with you.

I wish you were. I think you would have been very impressed on how well it translated to the screen. 95% of story is completed. Next Saturday I will be pickup the rest.

I"m pretty tired right now. Saturday we shot for 16 hours and Sunday we shot for 13 hours. Its time to hit the pillow and enjoy that wonderful world of sleep I so dearly missed.

ZazaCast
10-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Congrats!

Chris_Keaton
10-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Crap man! Get some sleep. :)

ZazaCast
10-05-2009, 07:30 AM
Sleep... sleep is for wimps! Where are our screen grabs? :grin:

Sprocketboy
10-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Zaza is right. Sleep are for wimps.

SAG would have my butt for keeping young actors on the set for 12 hours, but it was hard to get rid of these kids. The farm had lots of fun things to do. The young actors and crew got along well with the horses. They are very sensitive creatures and adore company. One shot is in a darken stable, full of horses, and in the darkness its really amazing how much you sense their presence because of their size.

Grabs will be coming soon. I have to first put my life back together.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Grabs will be coming soon. I have to first put my life back together.
Me wants grabbage! :)

Sounds like you are well on your way to completion. Nicely done.

MAH

Rodney V. Smith
10-05-2009, 10:40 AM
So about those grabs... No sleep! None of this "putting your life back together"... the movie IS your life! The hungry masses DEMAND screen grabs!

And the rest of us humbly request screengrabs....

Sprocketboy
10-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Here are a couple of grabs with no grading.

http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/TDT02.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/TDT03.jpg

Rodney V. Smith
10-05-2009, 11:27 PM
the masses are sated.... nice looking shots dude.

Sprocketboy
10-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks, Rodney. I'm glad you like them. I will be uploading more in the next couple of days.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Love the grabs!!

Excellent lighting. Great use of costumes and props.
Can't wait to see this one.

ZazaCast
10-06-2009, 08:12 AM
WOW! ....just Wow!!!

Sprocketboy
10-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks guys! Here's another one I'm willing to show.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Looks great. I actually like the first two grabs virtually untouched/as is. The last one with the kids will benefit from the grading though. Love the framing.

Sprocketboy
10-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Looks great. I actually like the first two grabs virtually untouched/as is. The last one with the kids will benefit from the grading though. Love the framing.

You are spot on with your comment. Almost every shot will have some form of grading. The color scheme I intend to stick with in this film are strong reds and greens, faces are warm and environments are neutral or desaturated. I still have to do a few tests and will post as I go along.

Michael, I really appreciate your opinion on this matter, so please let me know what you think about them as I post them. Thanks.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-06-2009, 08:59 AM
No problem. I'm no expert but I'll chime in with my 2 pennies. :)
It's looking really good though. How were the two boys to work with?
You happy with their performances?

I'm working with a little girl in mine.

Sprocketboy
10-06-2009, 09:34 AM
In the beginning, it was a bit difficult to get what I want. The two boys were operating like method actors. They moved where they felt it was more natural in their performance. If I restricted them to some blocking - they would break it repeatedly. It drove the DP insane in the beginning. Eventually, I allowed them to perform with minimal direction, studied their movements and adapted our shots to compliment those movements. I'm sure Marlon Brando was no different in driving Directors and DPs insane.

In the end, I did get some seriously good performances following the directing approach mentioned above. Let them pretend and move freely.

At times, I applied some restrictions and you can see the performance become more wooden than a moment "experienced" by the actor. What can you do? Some shots require the actor to work within the camera's frame. I can't keep them all wide angle.

Chris_Keaton
10-06-2009, 10:51 AM
The shots look great! Can't wait to see more.

Rodney V. Smith
10-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Dude, you're seriously rocking those shots. Your colors are rocking the joint all over, so much so I can't even imagine how you're going to grade it. I'm just blown away right now.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Just for fun.... I tried to get it closer to the look of the first two grabs. I know I'm not quite there but this took a just a couple of minutes.
I'm willing to bet you do a much better job. I boosted the yellow and you may not want to go there.

RAW

w GRADING
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/23237/1254861818.jpg

MAH

Sprocketboy
10-06-2009, 05:53 PM
The intensity of the brightness is just right. The color and saturation of the hay is perfect. That's what I'm going for but I want the reds to pop out more. The red on the box, the flag and The warm hue on Tim's face should match the hue of the reds in the RAW image. Thanks for the experiment. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Rodney V. Smith
10-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Now I'm getting jealous with all of these grading experiments there Mike. Just becasue Sproketboy's shots look so GORRAM AMAZING... arghh! I'm goign to go back to my hole and edit now.

Sprocketboy
10-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Somebody has to protect THE DEVIL'S TOY.

http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/TDT01.jpg

Chris_Keaton
10-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Nazi Satanist. This is a required element to any great film. I mean tell me what Citizen Cane would've been like if this didn't put in Nazi Satanists?

Denis Haineault
10-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Cool grabs. Really looking forward to that one.

Nazi Satanist. This is a required element to any great film. I mean tell me what Citizen Cane would've been like if this didn't put in Nazi Satanists?

es ist ein Schlitten mit 666 auf sie?

ZazaCast
10-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Rosebud.....

cinealma
10-08-2009, 02:41 PM
This one's looking good. Really like the box! Should be a good one.

Cheers!

John G.

Sprocketboy
10-08-2009, 03:23 PM

Since when has "Citizen Cane" been made by Cubans? :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

FYI, I'll have my two last production stills up in a couple of hours, then I'll be posting BTS stills. Right now... I must complete a rough cut to give the music maestro something to work on.

Chris_Keaton
10-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Since when has "Citizen Cane" been made by Cubans? :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Hey, they had Nazi Satanists in 'Gone With Wind' if I remember correctly.

ZazaCast
10-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Hey, they had Nazi Satanists in 'Gone With Wind' if I remember correctly.

...no that was "Old Yeller". :Drogar-Shock(DBG):

Sprocketboy
10-08-2009, 07:58 PM
I decided to put up only one more grab, instead of two. Five is a good number. That's what I told Marlon. I should practice what I preach.

http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/TDT04.jpg

Marlon Ladd
10-08-2009, 08:27 PM
My goodness, your pics are great! This looks like a real movie, like theater movie. Lookin' good.

Sprocketboy
10-08-2009, 08:47 PM
My goodness, your pics are great! This looks like a real movie, like theater movie. Lookin' good.

Thanks! Your not too shabby yourself. The grabs from your thread look as though they are from a Tony Scott film.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-08-2009, 10:10 PM
I decided to put up only one more grab, instead of two. Five is a good number. That's what I told Marlon. I should practice what I preach.

http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/TDT04.jpgWho exploded!? :laugh:

Looks great! :thumbup:

Marlon Ladd
10-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks! That's a great compliment. But you're done for with the pics too. You can't put any more up or. . .:banned:

Sprocketboy
10-11-2009, 10:03 AM
The remaining scenes are shot. I also had the rest of my pickup shots done. The rough cut is complete.

Next, fine cut and sound. Followed by visual effects, titles and music. Ending on color correction/grading and sound mix. My workflow usually overlap some of these processes.

Sprocketboy
10-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Here are some BEHIND-THE-SCENES shots. They will be posted at the head of this thread as well.

http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_bts01.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_bts03.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_bts04.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_bts05.jpg

Rodney V. Smith
10-14-2009, 10:08 PM
looks like you guys had fun with props and costumes and stuff. sigh. I wanna go shoot something now so I can play with cool props...

Sprocketboy
10-15-2009, 09:27 AM
looks like you guys had fun with props and costumes and stuff. sigh.

We had several plastic tubs full of wardrobe, props and set dressings... but "fun" is relative. It has the appearance of fun but there is a lot of hard work which bordered on painful exhaustion.

Pre-production and organization are the life-savers here. I made sure to have a shot list that had the shots I need and additional shots I would like. Depending on what time of day that list would adjust. All we had were 2 days to shoot with the 3700 and I wanted to make sure I get every shot necessary to tell this story on my low budget. Also, the logistics of coordinating the cast and crew was insane because we shot outside our local territory. All the small things, like transportation, food and restrooms, become big things in the scheme of it all.

We had cast and crew coming from as far as Long Island and New Jersey to Hartford CT. That's a long haul on a 16 hour shoot day.

I always wear a smile on my face. I truely enjoy the trials and tribulations of filmmaking... jumping those hurdles are lots of fun.

Rodney V. Smith
10-15-2009, 09:29 AM
We had several plastic tubs full of wardrobe, props and set dressings... but "fun" is relative. It has the appearance of fun but there is a lot of hard work which bordered on painful exhaustion.

Pre-production and organization are the life-savers here. I made sure to have a shot list that had the shots I need and additional shots I would like. Depending on what time of day that list would adjust. All we had were 2 days to shoot with the 3700 and I wanted to make sure I get every shot necessary to tell this story on my low budget. Also, the logistics of coordinating the cast and crew was insane because we shot outside our local territory. All the small things, like transportation, food and restrooms, become big things in the scheme of it all.

We had cast and crew coming from as far as Long Island and New Jersey to Hartford CT. That's a long haul on a 16 hour shoot day.

I always wear a smile on my face. I truely enjoy the trials and tribulations of filmmaking... jumping those hurdles are lots of fun.

Dude all of that IS my definition of fun. :grin:

Marlon Ladd
10-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Hey, if this stuff was easy, everybody would be doin' it. INDIE FILMMAKERS are off the hhhheeeeeezzzzyyyyy fo' sssshhhheeeeeeeeeeeeezzzyyyy!

Sprocketboy
10-15-2009, 05:41 PM
The poster design is updated to the final version.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1725269&postcount=1

Rodney V. Smith
10-15-2009, 05:52 PM
dude, love the new poster. ROCK!!!

Matty_g
10-15-2009, 07:01 PM
looking good sir.

Sprocketboy
10-17-2009, 09:40 AM
dude, love the new poster. ROCK!!!

I believe the newer poster design does the film justice. The first one was divided in concept and it didn't focus on the object of concern in the story.

Currently, the music is being produced, I'm cleaning up the sync sound, mixing some tracks and working with an animator on the 3D effects in the film. In another week, I should have everything for the final color correction and grading. Myself and the DP will work on each shot during that session.

Sprocketboy
10-17-2009, 09:44 AM
For anyone who is interested on knowing more about our little film. The Devil's Toy has its own Facebook page. It was graciously setup by Chris Keaton.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/The-Devils-Toy/154363773945

Troy Ruff
10-17-2009, 01:57 PM
great grabs, I cant wait to see. Good work :)

Rodney V. Smith
10-17-2009, 09:58 PM
ABout time you guys got a page. Kudos to Keaton for getting that up.

Sprocketboy
10-17-2009, 10:14 PM
ABout time you guys got a page. Kudos to Keaton for getting that up.

This film requires a lot of tender loving care during post-production, so its difficult to tear myself away to promote it. Keaton is "the man." Rodney are you joining our FB page?

Rodney V. Smith
10-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Of course I joined and I had the facebook page up for Flower a long long time ago. Link under my banner. :grin:

Sprocketboy
10-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Of course I joined and I had the facebook page up for Flower a long long time ago. Link under my banner. :grin:

I forgot to tell you... I can't read. :Drogar-Kriz(DBG):

Chris_Keaton
10-18-2009, 10:34 AM

Now that I have completed hooked on phonics I'm a FAN!

Nitsuj
10-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Nice costumes! Looks like you got a good setup and locations. Can't wait til we can all watch these films.

Sprocketboy
10-18-2009, 11:36 AM
I just received the score to the 8m 10s version (Director's Cut) and its wonderfully creepy. Francesco's score brought a breath of life to the entire film. Bravo! Now, we have to tailor a music track for the 6m version. Dagnabbit!

The_Happy_Haole
10-19-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm digging your poster & banner. Nice.

Sprocketboy
10-20-2009, 04:12 PM
UPDATE: Picture is locked for the 8+ min DIRECTOR'S CUT and the 6 min DVXUser version. Final effect shots and music score will be completed by this weekend. Color correction and grading will follow near the beginning of next week. Then I'm going to take a bath.

Rodney V. Smith
10-20-2009, 04:27 PM
UPDATE: Picture is locked for the 8+ min DIRECTOR'S CUT and the 6 min DVXUser version. Final effect shots and music score will be completed by this weekend. Color correction and grading will follow near the beginning of next week. Then I'm going to take a bath.

bah! baths are overrated. Congrats on the picture lock though. Rock on.

Sprocketboy
10-21-2009, 03:36 PM
You wouldn't think baths are so overrated if you were standing next to me.

Is it just me or do we all do this? Just when I think I'm done with editing, sound mixing and visual effects I walk away pleased, then as a moment passes, I get a better idea on how to change a sequence or a shot for more impact. I will tweak this thing to death.

cinealma
10-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Is it just me or do we all do this? Just when I think I'm done with editing, sound mixing and visual effects I walk away pleased, then as a moment passes, I get a better idea on how to change a sequence or a shot for more impact. I will tweak this thing to death.

Totally. No worries, though, just symptoms of mad genius. :happy:

John G.

Rodney V. Smith
10-21-2009, 04:16 PM
for me death is imminent: I'm out of beer.

Sprocketboy
10-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Totally. No worries, though, just symptoms of mad genius. :happy:

Either that or an obsessive compulsive disorder.

I just had dinner and I'm back at it again, but I vow to resign by midnight tonight. I hope.

cinealma
10-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Either that or an obsessive compulsive disorder.

I just had dinner and I'm back at it again, but I vow to resign by midnight tonight. I hope.

You and I both know that's not going to happen. :grin:

John G.

TMerry
10-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Love the behind the scenes shots and the grabs. Looking forward to seeing it, big time! :-)
Great stuff.

Sprocketboy
10-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Love the behind the scenes shots and the grabs. Looking forward to seeing it, big time! :-)
Great stuff.

I'm looking forward to see your film as well.

I consider the 6 minute version of The Devil's Toy pretty much done. From time to time, I give it a tweak. A possible upload this Thurday. The 8 min 17 sec version hits the sweet spot. I'll be entering that in other festivals.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Just saw you pop in my thread. You uploaded yet?

And number 13 is mine! :evil:
Although your movie looks far more evil...

Sprocketboy
10-29-2009, 10:29 PM
I just finished compressing the video to upload and its a pixelated mess. In compressor, I created a setting with a 50 MB limit, just for this fest, that worked perfectly for the last film I entered. Not for this one. I'll have to make the video a size smaller (640 x 345), instead of 800 x 450. I'm assuming that I have too much movement in this one. Also, during lightning strikes the video pixelates like crazy. Here I go again...

Sprocketboy
10-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Just saw you pop in my thread. You uploaded yet?

And number 13 is mine! :evil:
Although your movie looks far more evil...

I'm about to upload. Just having compression problems.

I want number 13... I guess I'll have to wait for number 666. :Drogar-Shock(DBG):

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-29-2009, 10:41 PM
You might get 66. :)

Sprocketboy
10-29-2009, 11:44 PM
You might get 66. :)

It appear that it will be sooner than that.

I changed my compression formula around in Compressor and ended up with a 48 MB - 800x450 video that looks descent. Pixelation is gone.

100% Uploaded. Done. Now the approval.

Marlon Ladd
10-30-2009, 12:18 AM

I changed my compression formula around in Compressor and ended up with a 48 MB - 800x450 video that looks descent. Pixelation is gone.

800x450?? Man, that's pretty sweet. I'm still trying to get 700 right.

Tom Marshall
10-30-2009, 12:20 AM

Good to hear. Compression is such a pain in the you know what...

Sprocketboy
10-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Good to hear. Compression is such a pain in the you know what...

That's an understatement. I didn't realize I had my Mac on the wrong Gamma setting (D65 Gamma 1.8) and compressed with the Gamma too high to compensate. It is unbelievably dark on my Windows computer which is set to Gamma 2.2 by default. This default is pretty much on the majority of monitors and is the standard for web graphics and video display.

It looks great on an HD TV set.

The short of it is that I am re-uploading my entry with the correct Gamma.

Matt Harris
10-30-2009, 11:17 AM
This is a helluva production sprocketboy! you look like a serious contender here. im impressed. great poster too.

Rodney V. Smith
10-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Sprocketboy is always one to watch. Always brings his A-Game.

Marlon Ladd
10-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Yep, I'm looking forward to this one for sure.

Sprocketboy
10-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Flattery will get you no where. :thumbsup:

I must admit I had a lot of fun making this film. Don't expect edgy editing or heavy color grading. I took this one down the classic horror movie path and tried to create a creepy tale. Whether I succeed at it or not, is another story.

EditPhish
10-30-2009, 12:37 PM
But you have the coolest dead cat ever...

Sprocketboy
10-30-2009, 12:41 PM
But you have the coolest dead cat ever...

We gave it back to its rightful owner after we were done using it.

Rodney V. Smith
10-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Flattery will get you no where. :thumbsup:

hey, I'm schilling for a more temperate review here. Gotta get in your graces early on you know...

Sprocketboy
10-31-2009, 04:39 PM
hey, I'm schilling for a more temperate review here. Gotta get in your graces early on you know...

I'm sure the filmmakers in competition will be diplomatic when it comes down to critiquing. You always give a good show.

Rodney V. Smith
10-31-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm sure the filmmakers in competition will be diplomatic when it comes down to critiquing. You always give a good show.

Well as long as I'm on your list. You made me wait and wait for your review last time. The tension was killing me.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2009, 11:59 PM
I know you mentioned the grading but I really do wish you had done something with it. Maybe that's just me.

I liked the story quite a bit. Some really interesting shots throughout. The sound seemed to be quite good as well, although I think I spotted some ADR here and there.
Great production value throughout! Really nice work there. The kids were fine as well. They came through.

Bet they had a LOT of fun with this one. :)

I loved the editing as well. Nice flow.

MAH

EditPhish
11-01-2009, 01:54 AM
Looked GREAT, sounded great. During our "Watch Party" we kinda debated the premise a bit. I'm not sold, though I like the idea, I'm not sure I like it tied in with Nazi's, the Holocaust and WWII. I also wasn't sold on all of your effects, and felt it might have benefited even from a little more grading.

However, that said, your pacing was great and everything else was solid. It certainly raised some discussion in the room of people we were in and that's always a good thing!

Dauntless
11-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Nice.. i likes the way the blood went back into the box. That was really cool.

Charli
11-01-2009, 08:20 PM
This is a film that has a beginning middle and end, so it feels like a complete story. I to like the exposition in showing the military, that was cool. I liked the special effects.

The kids were believable, the box was interesting, the detail of the box with the crank was cool, the blood going back into the box as well as the flesh at the end was awesome.

This to me is definitely a top contender.

TMerry
11-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Good film! I can tell a lot of work went into it all the way down to the soldiers costumes. The film had a very filmic look except for the shots with the buys and the hay bail which didn't seem to quite match with the rest of the film. One other thing that bothered me and all the other viewers at our party watching this was the look of the entrails going into the box at the end. The problem you have with this is that the whole film is such GREAT quality, that it tends to leave the viewer wanting every single item on that same level. :-) I would have stayed with the blood being absorbed back into the box like the first kills as it seemed more realistic.

That said;

I read this script and loved it. I passed on this script in part because I knew it would be a Huge undertaking (costumes and genre and all), and I was really looking forward to seeing who would take on the challenge - - & pull it off .... and

I think you did a splendid Job!!! ;-)

TMerry
11-01-2009, 11:01 PM
P.S. Francesco De Leonardis did a fantastic job with the Music!! Did he score this specifically for your film??

Brandon Rice
11-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Excellent film! Looked great, the actors did an excellent job, and the production value was high! I had my heart racing as they opened the box... was kind of disappointed I didn't get to see what killed them...

To end my comments, what was your most challenging aspect of the editing process?

Thanks! :)

Chris_Keaton
11-02-2009, 06:42 AM
This is a film that has a beginning middle and end, so it feels like a complete story. ...

Thanks. I try to make sure all of my scripts are complete stories. I think Alex did a fantastic job with this one!

Sprocketboy
11-02-2009, 09:02 AM
I know you mentioned the grading but I really do wish you had done something with it. Maybe that's just me.

I liked the story quite a bit. Some really interesting shots throughout. The sound seemed to be quite good as well, although I think I spotted some ADR here and there.
Great production value throughout! Really nice work there. The kids were fine as well. They came through.

Bet they had a LOT of fun with this one. :)

I loved the editing as well. Nice flow.

MAH

I'm sorry it took me a while to respond. I had many spooky events to attend during the Halloween weekend, and throughout that time all I could think about is watching MonsterFest films. I downloaded the last of the films this morning, so I will be getting to your film soon enough.

There is minimal, if any, color correction or grading in the short. It actually looks a bit flat without it. Time was not on my side, so I had to let this birdy fly with few feathers. If I end up a finalist, I will upload a CC and graded version as intended. Also, my DP could not make it in last week, and I did not want to proceed without his input.

I vowed never to do ADR. I hate ADR, so I'm disappointed you even brought it up. ADR does not exist in this film, but there is one part where the sound does an unusual reverb on one of the soldiers. I keep intending to fix it but never get to it. I will.

The boys did have a lot of fun. They talk about the experience to this day.

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate it greatly, expecially from you.

Sprocketboy
11-02-2009, 09:46 AM
I also wasn't sold on all of your effects, and felt it might have benefited even from a little more grading.

However, that said, your pacing was great and everything else was solid. It certainly raised some discussion in the room of people we were in and that's always a good thing!

I absolutely agree. Grading this film was always on the table between me and the DP, but as I responded in the previous post, I ran out of time. I'm really glad it 'raised some discussion.' Those are the films I want to make. Thanks.

Nice.. i likes the way the blood went back into the box. That was really cool.

Thanks. Originally, we were planning on pumping blood out of the box and doing it in reverse. If it was possible, sucking blood upwards into the lid looks totally different than reversing blood dripping out. The gravity is different.

This is a film that has a beginning middle and end, so it feels like a complete story. I to like the exposition in showing the military, that was cool. I liked the special effects.

The kids were believable, the box was interesting, the detail of the box with the crank was cool, the lead going back into the box as well as the flesh at the end was awesome.

This to me is definitely a top contender.

Keaton's story is a simple boogey man story with terrific combination of elements. I for one, don't feel comfortable with stories that border on fantasy, so to get over the fantasy aspect, I re-interpreted the script as a story about boys finding a gun in grandpa's closet. It made a lot of sense to me from then on.

Thanks for noting all the details that we put into this production. It happened fast and with a lot of effort. Much appreciated.

Sprocketboy
11-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Good film! I can tell a lot of work went into it all the way down to the soldiers costumes. The film had a very filmic look except for the shots with the buys and the hay bail which didn't seem to quite match with the rest of the film. One other thing that bothered me and all the other viewers at our party watching this was the look of the entrails going into the box at the end. The problem you have with this is that the whole film is such GREAT quality, that it tends to leave the viewer wanting every single item on that same level. :-) I would have stayed with the blood being absorbed back into the box like the first kills as it seemed more realistic.

That said;

I read this script and loved it. I passed on this script in part because I knew it would be a Huge undertaking (costumes and genre and all), and I was really looking forward to seeing who would take on the challenge - - & pull it off .... and

I think you did a splendid Job!!! ;-)

Awesome comments. I appreciate your candid review. The entrails will benefit from our final color correction and grading, so will the scenes with the boys. One thing to consider. I never intended to make the scenes with the boys match the WWII scenes. The WWII scenes take place in a different environment in a different time. Those hayloft scenes could benefit from warmer hues and crushed blacks.

P.S. Francesco De Leonardis did a fantastic job with the Music!! Did he score this specifically for your film??

Yes. The music is an original creation for this short. Francesco made 2 original versions; one for the 6 min version and another for the 8 min version.

Troy Ruff
11-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Great film guys, I really liked the two kids. The acting was good and fx were pretty good. The only thing that brought me out of the moment was when it flashed back to the war, I thought it should have been aged more and color corrected to match. But over all a fantastic film. In my top 10 :)

Edgen
11-02-2009, 10:27 AM
I really dug the look of this film! I wish the soldiers were a little more cautious. Seems like after they killed the one guy, their defenses were let down. Maybe a tighter edit would solve much of that?

I enjoyed the acting and overall performances and looking forward to seeing more entries from you.

Cheers!
/j

Sprocketboy
11-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Excellent film! Looked great, the actors did an excellent job, and the production value was high! I had my heart racing as they opened the box... was kind of disappointed I didn't get to see what killed them...

To end my comments, what was your most challenging aspect of the editing process?

Thanks! :)

Thanks, Brandon. I believe monsters come in all shapes and sizes. I was hoping one could interpret this monster as one you always see but never know its there. A simple wooden Jack-in-the-Box. With a lock? 'Attack of the Killer Automobile' pulled this off too. An unassuming vehicle that kills. But who isn't already afraid of a Jack-in-the-box? The anticipation of whatever is inside popping out freaks most people. Unfortunately, in this film its for the worst.

The most challenging aspect of the editing process is not falling in love with any of the footage. Every shot, every action needs to thrust the story forward. An editor needs to question every shot and the merit of keeping that shot in the completed film. Its a painful process but you have to be honest with yourself when you are telling a story.

MrFluffy
11-02-2009, 12:17 PM
This was really well done. The only thing that didnt fit for me was the blood spatter on the camera lens. It wasnt in keeping with the immersion of the film and snapped you back out.
Great work.

Sprocketboy
11-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Great film guys, I really liked the two kids. The acting was good and fx were pretty good. But over all a fantastic film. In my top 10 :)

Thanks! Much appreciated. I'm glad the acting and fx worked for you. One thing I did learn in this fest... never ever enter without color correction. I've got a lot of flack for that.

I really dug the look of this film! I wish the soldiers were a little more cautious. Seems like after they killed the one guy, their defenses were let down. Maybe a tighter edit would solve much of that?

I enjoyed the acting and overall performances and looking forward to seeing more entries from you.

Cheers!
/j

Thanks for the positive feedback. I agree with your statement about making the soldiers more cautious, but I would have to make a compromise in the pace of the story. In the end, filmmaking is all about compromising.

This was really well done. The only thing that didnt fit for me was the blood spatter on the camera lens. It wasnt in keeping with the immersion of the film and snapped you back out.
Great work.

I like the splatter. Regardless, thanks for the compliments on the film.

NOBELO
11-02-2009, 02:54 PM
I was looking forward to this one big time (I think the Varicam got me excited.) I'm having a slight problem reviewing it because I feel like there was a lot of potential here (not just with the story but as a film maker) and I'm not sure it comes through with this piece.

Sorry if this review sounds disconjointed but I'm sort of typing off the cuff. As a general remark, the film making is very well done. The Compositions are nice, the lighting is nice the production design is good etc. That being said I feel like there were problems with the little details. For instance, the soldiers costumes look great but they are squeaky clean. Couple that with the lack of any grade on the picture and I feel like you've gotten 30% of the mileage that you could have had from those flashback scenes. The scenes with the boys on the hay bales look great but they have a theatrical element and look sort of like a set. I felt like those types of issues were consistent throughout and brought the piece down a bit.

These may seem sort of minor but I couldn't help but think that there was potential that wasn't taken advantage of. Overall it's one of the top ten films for sure. Nice work and I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

lordambrai
11-02-2009, 06:20 PM
I really liked this piece! I like the idea of taking a harmless object and turning it into some so dreadful that if you were to see it... well it would probably melt the viewers face off. Thank you. For saving face... my face at least.

Overall great piece, yes CC might be needed. The effects weren't as good as Michael Bays, but ya know what. I can easily suspend my disbelief and never look at a Jack in the Box the same way again.

Sprocketboy
11-02-2009, 07:08 PM
I was looking forward to this one big time (I think the Varicam got me excited.)

When it comes to an online competition... the playing ground is even. Technical monstrosities like Varicams and Reds don't factor into the final outcome. It would have been a HVX if the Varicam did not show up for the weekend shoot.

I feel like there were problems with the little details. For instance, the soldiers costumes look great but they are squeaky clean. Couple that with the lack of any grade on the picture and I feel like you've gotten 30% of the mileage that you could have had from those flashback scenes. The scenes with the boys on the hay bales look great but they have a theatrical element and look sort of like a set. I felt like those types of issues were consistent throughout and brought the piece down a bit.

All these things haunted me during production and post. I certainly bit off more than I could chew with the time constraints and manpower. A warning signal kept going off in my head but I continued to move forward. I only managed to get 60% of the shots on my shot list for the WWII scenes, and made painful compromises to get something that would complete those scenes. I hate making those compromises because you lose the original vision that got you excited in the first place. The other mistake is entering Monsterfest without a full color correction and grading. We lit atmospherically but we always intended to grade this film. The military scene are suppose to be desaturated overall but greens and reds would be strong and vibrant. The scenes with the kids are suppose to be warm but darker. The only linking color between the sequences is the color red.

These may seem sort of minor but I couldn't help but think that there was potential that wasn't taken advantage of.

To me these things are not minor. There was no time to take advantage. We were literally lighting a half an acre of space in the concrete room with 1 day to shoot. I wish I had 2 days.

Overall it's one of the top ten films for sure. Nice work and I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Thank you for your comments. Next time I will have to work on something smaller where I can explore more intimately on one given moment.

Marlon Ladd
11-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Hey, Sprocket. I really liked your film and you had some really cool effects in here too. I thought the kids were great and the lighting in the barn was superb! I liked the whole army thing and the uniforms were very cool, but I noticed on the first soldier walking through that something just didn't seem right. Like his hat or something, seemed like he had just put it on. I don't know - something about that didn't seem authentic. But, that's not a big deal, because I may just be nitpicking. You had so many good shots in here. I also especially liked the shot in the hallway from above with the yellow lights. That shot was off-the-chain. I also liked the blood going in the box. Still thinking about how you pulled that one off.

The only thing I would say is that the action and fx with the gunshots could have been better. I think some quick cuts, shake the camera in post and maybe better sound fx will pull it off. All in all, a really enjoyable film with lots of potential. Hey, where'd you get those Nazi flags btw?

NOBELO
11-02-2009, 07:48 PM
To me these things are not minor. There was no time to take advantage. We were literally lighting a half an acre of space in the concrete room with 1 day to shoot. I wish I had 2 days.

I feel for ya. 1 day shoots make it incredibly difficult to focus and do what you want artistically whether it be coverage, makeup, special fx, cinematography etc. I think it came together nicely regardless though.

lyonfilms
11-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Overall very nice, polished film (grade aside). I liked a lot of the camera moves, locations, composition, etc. The story was a fun concept and a few of the effects were really well done. I didn't care for the FX blood retreating into the box nor did I care for the Nazi symbol that flashed briefly in the devil's circle. I liked the "real" gore like at the end with the stuff being pulled back into the box.

I liked the casting and actually felt comfortable with the actors (both adults and kids). The only person I felt was somewhat out of place was the young Nazi guy. He just seemed too young. An older creepy man or woman might have worked better for me.

I agree with a comment I just read that the film was too "clean". I don't just mean the obvious like the uniforms. That type of costume and makeup are tough to organize and pull of so I feel for you - but having more real world GRIT, both for the WWII stuff and, frankly, even the kids would have been better.

Also, this is really minor, but I would have liked the opening shot to give a sense sooner of where the heck the kids where. I felt no tension for the first 3-4 cuts because I didn't know they were in Grandpa's room. I thought they were rooting around in the boy's closet at a sleepover. I would have put the wide shot first or at least second.

Tons of good in there dude and you are getting a high score from me.

Sprocketboy
11-03-2009, 01:35 PM
The only thing I would say is that the action and fx with the gunshots could have been better. I think some quick cuts, shake the camera in post and maybe better sound fx will pull it off. All in all, a really enjoyable film with lots of potential. Hey, where'd you get those Nazi flags btw?

Thanks a bunch. I'm revisiting the shootout scene again and heeding some of your advice. As for the nazi flags- I actually had a hard time finding those flags. Not on Ebay. No military reenactment store sells them. They are scarce to say the least. Then I stumble upon an unusual website that strictly deals with anything Nazi operating out of Rapid City, SD.

I abided by the oath of a true indie filmmaker; "Do whatever it takes to make your film!" I ordered the flags through them and now I'm probably on the US government's sh-t list. I'm sure they are screening my calls.

Marlon, during the gun battle did the sound effects sound too low, or lack bass? They sound great coming out of my Tapco monitors. My 3D effects guy commented on the sound effects too. Thanks again for your comments. They are truly helpful.

...I didn't care for the FX blood retreating into the box nor did I care for the Nazi symbol that flashed briefly in the devil's circle.

I have a feeling I'm going to take the Swastika symbol out. Its redundant.

...this is really minor, but I would have liked the opening shot to give a sense sooner of where the heck the kids where. I felt no tension for the first 3-4 cuts because I didn't know they were in Grandpa's room. I thought they were rooting around in the boy's closet at a sleepover. I would have put the wide shot first or at least second.

The DP also had the same comment and after watching it multiple times, I couldn't agree more. My intention was to start in the middle of the action that will lead us into the story, but it appears to be doing more bad than good.

Tons of good in there dude and you are getting a high score from me.

Lots of good advice here. Thanks very much for commenting and watching the film.

Blaine
11-03-2009, 01:51 PM
An awful lot of potential here. You had a good story to work with.

I enjoyed the story. What's a jack-in-the-box but a killer clown, anyway? :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

I think this story miss out because of the details. Finding the box so readily accessible in his closet? The soldiers were too "clean." That's one of my biggest complaints in a story featuring war images. It should be dirty.

I thought you had some interesting locations. And the kid performed better than I expected them to.

This shows that you have what it takes to be a filmmaker, you just need to go back and pay more attention to the details. "The devil's in the details."

Sprocketboy
11-03-2009, 02:38 PM
...This shows that you have what it takes to be a filmmaker, you just need to go back and pay more attention to the details. "The devil's in the details."

I agree with wholeheartedly with you.

I'm a detail oriented type, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, "I bit off more than I can chew." It pains me to hear it repeated over and over again. I knew things were going south when I was too deep into production, but my instinct is to continue on. This production was a monumental task and really wore me out. My capacity as a Director was limited by the size of the production and the time limits. 90% shot in two days.

Next time, if I'm willing to enter again, it will be a more manageable script with a simplified production schedule.

Blaine
11-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Next time, if I'm willing to enter again, it will be a more manageable script with a simplified production schedule.There is absolutely NO REASON not to enter again. You have shown that you can tell an interesting story. Take what you learn from this and grow. I look forward to watching you grow through these festivals.

ZazaCast
11-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Next time, if I'm willing to enter again, it will be a more manageable script with a simplified production schedule.

Damned if you do...damned if you don't. Once the bar is raised, it's tough to lower it.

This was a really well done film, but then again, I liked "Look At Me" too. You're a talented filmmaker...and I for one will be looking forward to your next production!

I owe you a review & will get to it shortly... standby....

Chris_Keaton
11-03-2009, 04:15 PM

Like one dude in a hotel room and some blood? :)

Sprocketboy
11-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Like one dude in a hotel room and some blood? :)

No. Even simpler. :2vrolijk_08:

hoz
11-03-2009, 05:48 PM
wow, a lot of work went into this and it shows. havent read any previous reviews so forgive me repeating anything...

loved the flashback scenes of the grandfather trying to get rid of the box - the beach , putting it on fire, etc. these to me were my fav's. it looked great, looked of the right time, and had drama.

the rest is strong too but lacked drama. i think the soldiers would've looked much better with that same old fashioned look flashback. did love the lights look when the soldiers enter the room where the box is.

thought the kids acted good. the room where they were looked too fake though. i think this is really good though! just that its so close to great!

Rodney V. Smith
11-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Your lead actor looks a hell of a lot like Brad Pitt in "Inglourious Basterds". Ever notice that?

Sprocketboy
11-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Your lead actor looks a hell of a lot like Brad Pitt in "Inglourious Basterds". Ever notice that?

Rodney, you always put a smile on my face. :smile:

Rodney V. Smith
11-03-2009, 10:09 PM
my computer crashed in the middle of your review.

and it was a looooooong one.

gonna have to go redo it. arghhh!

Anthony Todaro
11-03-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm new around here...

Great work from scribe to slate.

The story, look, feel, content, performances and audio were great. I can see and appreciate the detail that went into this. The music made me think it might have been a lost Herrmann score.

Can't wait to check out all the other films. Had to start with the one that had "Devil" in the title.

Sprocketboy
11-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Damned if you do...damned if you don't. Once the bar is raised, it's tough to lower it.

So true. I'm much better with small moments on a shoestring budget.

Whenever I try to get grandiose with lint in my pockets the compromises become overwhelming. I'm well aware of this obstacle for quite some time, but I always think I can nip it in the butt. The opportunities were there and went for the bait.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-04-2009, 07:43 AM
So true. I'm much better with small moments on a shoestring budget.

Whenever I try to get grandiose with lint in my pockets the compromises become overwhelming. I'm well aware of this obstacle for quite some time, but I always think I can nip it in the butt. The opportunities were there and went for the bait.
There's not a lot wrong with this movie. Nothing that some editing time won't fix.

Work on the grading, especially during the war flashbacks. Get to work on the sound. I would love to hear some wicked battle noises way off in the distance, tweak the rest audio, add some nighttime sounds. Then polish up the SFX and fine tune the edit.

I would DEFINITELY do that and enter this into other festivals.
This just needs more polish. It's damn good.

MAH

Sprocketboy
11-04-2009, 07:46 AM
...loved the flashback scenes of the grandfather trying to get rid of the box - the beach , putting it on fire, etc. these to me were my fav's. it looked great, looked of the right time, and had drama...

Thanks. That was the easiest part of the film to produce and I had fun.

I'm new around here...

Great work from scribe to slate.

The story, look, feel, content, performances and audio were great. I can see and appreciate the detail that went into this. The music made me think it might have been a lost Herrmann score.

Can't wait to check out all the other films. Had to start with the one that had "Devil" in the title.

Your comment is much appreciated. The score is actually an original created by Francesco De Leonardis.

my computer crashed in the middle of your review.

and it was a looooooong one.

gonna have to go redo it. arghhh!

Oh man. I know how much work goes into your reviews. It sounds like your computer is crashing a lot lately. I hope its not the new Macbook.

Sprocketboy
11-04-2009, 08:16 AM
There's not a lot wrong with this movie. Nothing that some editing time won't fix...

...I would DEFINITELY do that and enter this into other festivals.
This just needs more polish. It's damn good.

Thanks for the support Michael.

Most if not all of your suggestions are things I plan on doing in the course of the next few days. This Thursday I'm sitting with the DP to get the grading ironed out.

By the end of the first week of October, I had to lock the picture for the music to be completed. I'm sure that this is what forced me to enter prematurely. The picture is not locked. I guess that's what happens to movies with potential in Hollywood. They are forced to meet a deadline and the end result is what it is.

I do plan on entering in other festivals. If I didn't, it would be a disservice to many of the people who worked on it for long hours.

At some point, can I pm you to view a more completed version of this film from a private site?

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-04-2009, 08:41 AM
At some point, can I pm you to view a more completed version of this film from a private site?
Of course! Looking forward to it. :thumbup:

ZazaCast
11-04-2009, 08:42 AM
As promised... I haven't read through the whole post, so I'm sure I'll be repeating something.

Love your "SproketBoy" animated logo!

Wow, beautiful images. At first I thought the boys were digging for porn in Grampa's closet (I NEVER did that). Didn't seem like something this important to the story would have been so easily found by the kids. In the barn, for some reason, it looks a little 'videoish'? Too clean & sharp...something?

Flashbacks could maybe use a different treatment to look older. Love the shot down the hallway as they walk in...are those Christmas lights? Score is creeping me out! It's great. Dead bodies & flys...OH Yeah! Nice....

Good job on the gun play. Something that jumped out at me is that the bad guy's head explodes onto the camera lens...but there's nothing but space behind that guy. It pulled me out of it for a second.

Excellent job on all the VFX's throughout. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Like the kid says, "I got skills." Well, YOU got skills too! This is easily one of my favorites of the fest. You put an incredible amount of work into this film and it shows. Congratulations to the cast, crew and everyone involved in this production!

Sprocketboy
11-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Good job on the gun play. Something that jumped out at me is that the bad guy's head explodes onto the camera lens...but there's nothing but space behind that guy. It pulled me out of it for a second.

Excellent job on all the VFX's throughout. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You are the 5th person to mention that this effect is jarring. When I hear something that often - it gets cut out. Keaton wins! I'll keep it as a simple spray of blood with a cherry on top. :cheesy:

Much of your other observances are mentioned by other reviewers. The kids in the barn is an easy fix. Its something I didn't have time to deal with before the deadline.

I may have to kill the score in certain sections, so I'm able to edit with a little more freedom during those moments. Right now its limiting me.

Thanks for taking the time to watch and offering valuable input.

Chris_Keaton
11-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks a bunch. I'm revisiting the shootout scene again and heeding some of your advice. As for the nazi flags- I actually had a hard time finding those flags. Not on Ebay. No military reenactment store sells them. They are scarce to say the least. Then I stumble upon an unusual website that strictly deals with anything Nazi operating out of Rapid City, SD.

I abided by the oath of a true indie filmmaker; "Do whatever it takes to make your film!" I ordered the flags through them and now I'm probably on the US government's sh-t list. I'm sure they are screening my calls.

Marlon, during the gun battle did the sound effects sound too low, or lack bass? They sound great coming out of my Tapco monitors. My 3D effects guy commented on the sound effects too. Thanks again for your comments. They are truly helpful.

Sorry about your recent membership to a NeoNazi mailing list. Try explaining that to your neighbors. :2vrolijk_08:

EditPhish
11-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Oddly enough, I have one of those old army-surplus stores in my area that sells Nazi stuff, and we recently stumbled across an old thrift store in Pennsylvania that also had some (including a flag). Totally bizarre to walk into any old store and find knives, swords, umbrellas, walking sticks, flags, etc. with the swastika on them.

Your costumes and set design were fabulous, so it paid off!

Sprocketboy
11-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Oddly enough, I have one of those old army-surplus stores in my area that sells Nazi stuff, and we recently stumbled across an old thrift store in Pennsylvania that also had some (including a flag). Totally bizarre to walk into any old store and find knives, swords, umbrellas, walking sticks, flags, etc. with the swastika on them.

Your costumes and set design were fabulous, so it paid off!

That's amazing. You have a store near you with Nazi paraphernalia? I wish I knew sooner. Thanks for the kudos on the costumes and set designs. They are several of the many burdens I took on when making this film. Thankfully, I didn't have to do the catering too.

I notice you're from NY. Are you located near New York City? I'm planning a showing in Queens NY. Its a newly renovated social club/bar with a screening room. You are invited to show your film if you want. Its an open invitation to anyone who lives in the tri-state area. I'll post a notice once I have a solid date for the showing.

Rodney V. Smith
11-04-2009, 02:43 PM
I notice you're from NY. Are you located near New York City? I'm planning a showing in Queens NY. Its a newly renovated social club/bar with a screening room. You are invited to show your film if you want. Its an open invitation to anyone who lives in the tri-state area. I'll post a notice once I have a solid date for the showing.

The way things are going I might be here throuogh November, so consider me living here for the moment. Invite me and I'll do over your review. :grin:

Sprocketboy
11-04-2009, 03:13 PM
The way things are going I might be here throuogh November, so consider me living here for the moment. Invite me and I'll do over your review. :grin:

You are definitely invited. Your stay is unpredictable, so I don't know if you'll be around when it happens. I'm hoping for the very end of November.

You don't have to re-write the review. I maybe in Brooklyn in the next week or so. You can tell me what you thought in person. A close friend of mine owns a pretty popular wine and chocolate bar on 7th Ave (Park Slope). We can hangout there.

Horncastle
11-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Great film, very polished, solid performances. Just two little comments: 1. I preferred the blood being sucked back into the box rather than the guts. 2. At about 00.59 you cut to the soldiers before the kid says "Grandpa found it in a concentration camp" - this is an important cut in the film since it introduces the soldiers and I feel it should have been just a little later. Great attention to details like the VFX sparks on his helmet and then when the shootout is over he puts his hand to his helmet as though to say "wow, that was close!". Good job, a high score for sure.

jasonthewho
11-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Nice film! I enjoyed it a lot. Frame stories are an iffy thing, and I think it was somewhat of a detriment to this film, given the length. I don't feel like there is enough conflict in the present day story-line. Perhaps if as the light started to flicker, the hesitant kid tried to stop his brother, and almost succeeds, but then his brother finally finishes the song. That way we might think they are going to be able to escape their fate. As it is, it seemed to set in stone.

It sounds like you're going to revisit the shooting the Nazi scene. That was the only other thing I had big issues with.

Overall, a really solid film. A real challenge with all of the crazy locations, props, and production design, but I think you pulled it off for the most part. I especially liked the dead bodies, being swarmed by flies.

EditPhish
11-04-2009, 09:02 PM
That's amazing. You have a store near you with Nazi paraphernalia? I wish I knew sooner. Thanks for the kudos on the costumes and set designs. They are several of the many burdens I took on when making this film. Thankfully, I didn't have to do the catering too.

Yeah, there's this little army surplus store that's been there forever (at least since I was a kid) and they often have Nazi stuff. It's pretty cool (in an historical kind of way). My brother (who was our Monster) is into World War II history bigtime, and it's why I remember it so much... we had thought of buying something for him there!

We're not too far from Queens at all and would definitely come! JTyner grew up in Queens (Jackson Heights) and knows it well... we often eat at a little cuban/chinese place on 82nd street.

I'll keep my eye out for your showing... we'd love to come!

Sprocketboy
11-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Great film, very polished, solid performances. Just two little comments: 1. I preferred the blood being sucked back into the box rather than the guts. 2. At about 00.59 you cut to the soldiers before the kid says "Grandpa found it in a concentration camp" - this is an important cut in the film since it introduces the soldiers and I feel it should have been just a little later. Great attention to details like the VFX sparks on his helmet and then when the shootout is over he puts his hand to his helmet as though to say "wow, that was close!". Good job, a high score for sure.

Thanks a lot for watching and giving feedback. The end box scene will have to stay the way it is... I like it, but more so, I have some new ideas to improve upon it. I have a feeling you are right about putting the boy's VO a second or two later. All the actors in the WWII scenes were given specific details about their characters, then I let them explore those characters under the spontaneity of the moment. Those reactions are all theirs. I block the action and did little to no correction in the acting dept. I'm glad you appreciated the shootout scene. There is a lot of detail buried within it. It lasts five seconds, but it still needs a little tweaking to get it to play perfectly. Thanks again.

Nice film! I enjoyed it a lot. Frame stories are an iffy thing, and I think it was somewhat of a detriment to this film, given the length. I don't feel like there is enough conflict in the present day story-line...

...Overall, a really solid film. A real challenge with all of the crazy locations, props, and production design, but I think you pulled it off for the most part. I especially liked the dead bodies, being swarmed by flies.

The same thing ran through my mind after reading the script. I wasn't sure if I wanted to deal with a framed storyline, but damn, it is one of the best boogeyman stories I've read in awhile. I couldn't resist. Its really an 8 min short, but cut it down for the fest and lost a lot of the tension. Next time, I have to not lose my sensibilities and realize what I need to simplify the story. That way I can get a lot more drama out of a moment in time. In 6 mins, big stories do not unfold very well. Small moments do.

I wish there was more conflict in the bookend scenes myself, but I was walking on egg shells when we finally began shooting those scenes. We were 3 hours behind schedule on a Sunday night and I had to get the show on the road. Those boys had to go to school the next day. I was going to explore many different approaches between the kids but it wasn't meant to be. Those scenes are set in stone.

Thanks for your insight and perspective. It is very much appreciated. I'm glad you enjoyed the film.

Sprocketboy
11-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I'll keep my eye out for your showing... we'd love to come!

Excellent. I will keep you informed.

kennethhurd
11-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Good job on the film. I liked the idea of the jack in the box. Your camera work is really good and your actors do a good job. However, I found myself more interested in the present day segments instead of the war segments. For me, it seemed to lose some of the tension during those scenes. I also felt that once we know what the box does, it took the suspense out of the ending. I think it would have been interesting to see things progress both in the past as well as the present where the kids turn the knob on the jack in the box and then we see what happens in the past, and it ends with the blood flowing into the box in the present, just something to keep the tension going throughout the whole film. Overall, you did a really good job and it's definitely one of the stand outs.

Sprocketboy
11-06-2009, 09:01 AM
...Overall, you did a really good job and it's definitely one of the stand outs.

Thanks for your input. Parallel editing the moment the box opens between the past and the present is a very interesting idea, but I find it difficult to try that right now. I can tell you one thing since the fest began, and the comments came rolling in, I have re-visited the film on the timeline. I have a whole new version that is almost done. I like it very much. Thanks to this community.

Rodney V. Smith
11-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Dude I loved your movie. Iit's an instant favorite, right into my top 10. You've got a good story, solid production value and you've made a compellling film.

A few things have stayed with me, some that could be improved on and some that you just have to bear in mind for the next project.

Opening scene definitely needed a wider shot to establish a little more. Wish you could have gotten a grampa and shot past him to the boys on the ground. The segue to the flashback came a little too early. Just a couple of frames off there.

My first thought is that your soldiers were way too clean. For the environment some bits of dust, sweat, grease... some sign that they have been out there fighting a war... those signs would have been good to see, and added more believability than any grading. It's the TONE of the scene.

Only one Nazi guard? That one threw me for a loop, but I was willing to let it pass since it could be plausible in the realm of the story.

Oh I LOVED the shot with the lights in the foreground and the soldiers entered. Pure cinema through and through. That shot, more than anything else sets the tone of that scene. That was kind of a unique perspective and it would have been good to see some of that carry through into the remainder of the shots. The colors and feel we get from that one shot... so damn cool.

Definitely take out the splash of blood on the camera. It's the one effect that really didn't work for me. The other were really good though what with the spark and everything else. Oh yeah, and the flashing Nazi symbol in the circle... not so necessary.

The box was great and I really do like the sucking up of the blood... and the empty costumes. Grade the blood blood darker though.

This was a soild work and I enjoyed it all the way through. The kids were GREAT actors. I'm glad you got that performance out of them.

This was the short version of my review BTW.

alex whitmer
11-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Nice film all around. Story was nice, but the Nazi factor felt like it was the path of least resistance to give this a historical backdrop. Maybe some obscure conflict would have been more interesting.

My only nit on the set was the soldiers were too clean, and looked like they just picked their uniforms up at the cleaners. Pressed and ready for battle?

Enjoyed the flick.

aw

DarkMatter
11-06-2009, 11:09 PM
The nazi, occult, artifact, aspect to this film really added a great dimension to the feel of this story. It could have been a true story, considering the historical background behind the story. I admit after watching this, I looked up Jack-In-the-Box and learned about the lore behind this. Great job! I loved the end scene with the entrails being pulled into the box. I would like to see this in a feature.

ramsaur
11-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Very cool and outside the box type of monster. I read this script before it was selected. Good job pulling it off. Good costumes and good visuals. Definitely in my top 10.

Chris_Keaton
11-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Nice film all around. Story was nice, but the Nazi factor felt like it was the path of least resistance to give this a historical backdrop. Maybe some obscure conflict would have been more interesting.

My only nit on the set was the soldiers were too clean, and looked like they just picked their uniforms up at the cleaners. Pressed and ready for battle?

Enjoyed the flick.

aw

Hey Alex glad to see you back in these parts.

Sprocketboy
11-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Rodney- thanks for taking the time to rewrite your comments. Much of what you wrote are already corrected. I also found another thing that no one cared to mention. Once I made that particular change it had a profound effect on the entire mood of the story. The minor issues irked me before uploading the film to this forum, but not much I can do considering the deadline. It was a lot to handle. I'm pulling back on the reins on anything I make here in the future. It must stay small and manageable. I'll leave the big stuff for features where time and hopefully money are not as big of an issue.

Thanks to everyone else for your comments. Its very much appreciated.

Robert Eldon
11-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Really good story telling with this one. I always like a film that starts with kids 'exploring' old stuff and explaining the history of the item or the 'myth' of the item.

Real good camera work and motivated camera angles. Great cinematography. I liked how you showed different periods of time. It's always a challenge to do a 'period' piece of do flashbacks, but you pulled it off very well. I would have liked to have seen the war flashback a little more 'grungy' with the characters and maybe the colorization (more so in the exterior shot). I did like the lighting and subdued color with the interior (warehouse?) shots.

You really had some great locations and special effects, but the effects didn't seem over used. Nice :)

Favorite shots were the boys running in the rain to the barn, and of the lights as the army men were entering the building, about TC 1:27.

Great job and good story telling! :thumbsup:

Chris Messineo
11-09-2009, 07:21 AM
I thought this film was great. I liked the story a lot and I thought the performances were excellent. Well done.

Rodney V. Smith
11-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Rodney- thanks for taking the time to rewrite your comments. Much of what you wrote are already corrected.

I'd already written my first review and I was going to get my comments in dammit! Regardless of everyone else sharing my opinions.

Dude you did a great job with this especially given the budget and the level of detail you had to get into. I;d love to see what changes you made to it that adds that special level of mood...

Richard J. Johnson
11-09-2009, 12:47 PM
I have not read any of the other reviews. But this looked and sounded amazing. I thought the Nazi flashback should have have been graded differently to look a little older but other than that everything was effing spot-on! congrats one of my favs easily.

John LaBonney
11-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Loved the flies! Didn't like the gunshot sounds. Loved the blood splatter.

This looked like a huge undertaking! Very ambitious. Sure to be a favorite among the membership.

Sprocketboy
11-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Real good camera work and motivated camera angles. Great cinematography. I liked how you showed different periods of time. It's always a challenge to do a 'period' piece of do flashbacks, but you pulled it off very well.

Favorite shots were the boys running in the rain to the barn, and of the lights as the army men were entering the building, about TC 1:27.

Great job and good story telling! :thumbsup:

Many people have expressed that shot in the tunnel to be their favorite as well. It was something we pre-planned with antique lighting on a dimmer. The bulbs were randomly spray painted with flat black paint to fractalize the lighting. The dimmer allowed us to control the brightness and color temp. Thanks for watching.

I thought this film was great. I liked the story a lot and I thought the performances were excellent. Well done.

Thanks Chris. Your compliments are much appreciated. I'm glad you had a chance to check out the film.

Dude you did a great job with this especially given the budget and the level of detail you had to get into. I;d love to see what changes you made to it that adds that special level of mood...

The film feels and looks completely different. Its closer to what I and the DP discussed from day one. If you make it out to the Hell Gate Social... you'll see for yourself. I look forward to meeting you as well, so don't be a stranger.

I have not read any of the other reviews. But this looked and sounded amazing. I thought the Nazi flashback should have have been graded differently to look a little older but other than that everything was effing spot-on! congrats one of my favs easily.

That is the reaction I'm looking for... to bad you are watching the bastard brother of The Devil's Toy. The cut we have now is down and out creepy. I just have a few more things to do before I get it right.

Loved the flies! Didn't like the gunshot sounds. Loved the blood splatter.

This looked like a huge undertaking! Very ambitious. Sure to be a favorite among the membership.

The music track overwhelmed that shootout scene and knocked the gunfire sndfx down too much. The gunfire is actually 100% accurate. The sounds are taken from the actual weapons (Grease Gun MP40 and a Thompson M1A1) indoors.

It was "very ambitious." I don't plan on doing that again, any time soon, on a meager budget. You end up spreading yourself a little too thin.

Sprocketboy
11-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Here are some BTS shots of the tunnel scene. It shows our rigged lighting. Simple but effective.

http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_tunnel01.jpghttp://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_tunnel02.jpghttp://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_tunnel03.jpg

EditPhish
11-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Love the BTS photos... I'd love to sneak around on set with some of you guys and watch you all work! You (and some of the other "heavy hitters") really got some very cool locations (and the details you focused on were outrageously good).

Sprocketboy
11-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Love the BTS photos... I'd love to sneak around on set with some of you guys and watch you all work! You (and some of the other "heavy hitters") really got some very cool locations (and the details you focused on were outrageously good).

Thanks for the kind words. I'm certainly no "heavy hitter."

I just want to get one thing straight, there is no sneaking around my set. You better be helping out. :thumbsup:

EditPhish
11-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I'm certainly no "heavy hitter."

Ah, but the masses disagree Mr. Finalist! :)
Congrats!

I just want to get one thing straight, there is no sneaking around my set. You better be helping out. :thumbsup:

*sneak sneak sneak* ;)

BTW, I saw you mention the "Hell's Gate Social"... I was just down at Hell's Gate Bridge recently taking pictures (another expensive hobby of mine, LOL)... when JTyner first got the DVX a few years ago we also went down there to test out the camera. We look forward to meeting you and being part of your social!

I'd love to hear some of your "tricks of the trade" in finding these cool locations... It's an area in which we need to up our own game and I'm trying to accumulate tri-state resources for that kind of thing...

lawriejaffa
11-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Alex Lugones - director, has presented a very competently shot and told 'yarn' - written by my NEMESIS *shakes fist* Chris Keaton.

Chris has written a great and simple story, that im sure more depth (for a prospective feature) just itching to be revealed in a feature.

I love the concept, (albeit its a little cute though quite feasible from the kid narrator) when the boy suggests the nazis put all there evil into that box! (We all know its a miss kitty lunch box the nazis really put there evil inside!)

the boys do a decent acting job, the flashback is pretty (for ww2) but a little inconsistent and too modern looking for ol' pops in the beach. I wasn't totally convinced by the nazi in the black hoody (unless he was asking for spare change to catch a bus...) so they say!

However, this is a well executed, rounded little story, with perhaps too glossy an atmosphere to let genuine tension and suspense build. There is perhaps a preoccupation with how this film appears nad looks - and keeping it all together - rather than pushing the envelope in drama, the disturbed.

That said, this is a well crafted film, a delicious form of monstrous moderation.

Sprocketboy
11-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Ah, but the masses disagree Mr. Finalist! :)
Congrats!

BTW, I saw you mention the "Hell's Gate Social"... I was just down at Hell's Gate Bridge recently taking pictures (another expensive hobby of mine, LOL)... when JTyner first got the DVX a few years ago we also went down there to test out the camera. We look forward to meeting you and being part of your social!

I got the OK from the owner last night to have the showing on Sunday Nov 22nd between 8 pm and 9:30 pm. I hope to have East Coast DVXUsers come on over and show some of their work. More details to come...

I will be announcing more details here, and on THE DEVIL'S TOY Fan page on Facebook during this week.

It will be 2 days after the winners are announced here, so no harm done. Keaton would kill me if I had us disqualified prematurely.

EditPhish
11-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I got the OK from the owner last night to have the showing on Sunday Nov 22nd between 8 pm and 9:30 pm. I hope to have East Coast DVXUsers come on over and show some of their work. More details to come...

I will be announcing more details here, and on THE DEVIL'S TOY Fan page on Facebook during this week.

It will be 2 days after the winners are announced here, so no harm done. Keaton would kill me if I had us disqualified prematurely.

Cool... I just became a fan on FB and November 22nd sounds great. Look forward to it!

Sprocketboy
11-11-2009, 09:32 AM
...Chris has written a great and simple story, that im sure more depth (for a prospective feature) just itching to be revealed in a feature...

...this is a well crafted film, a delicious form of monstrous moderation.

Lawrie, I've been reading your reviews with delight. Many are pretty accurate in their assessment for better or worse. In the last three fests, I sense you were a bit soft on the reviews, but this time there is a 'no knocks' colloquial tone that resonated. Your sensibilities are pretty good too. Your mention about a 'feature' is not too far off.

I'm glad you got a kick out of it... hopefully the next film will leave you speechless.

Noel Evans
11-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Really well done all round.

Great, simple story Chris.

I thought all the scenes historical and present were quite good, with some shots just excellent. I did however find some shots a little sterile in the lighting choice, as in the shadows just didnt feel deep enough, and as another example the barn scene, the boys were overly lit IMO. Youve got some light streaks going on which look ok albeit a touch out of place, the central bulb here is a touch bright. I would have use the windows as a bit more of the motivation. Just think that could have help set your tone a little better overall.

Again, really well done!

Mark Harris
11-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Hey Chris, I am making my way around these slowly.

I love how we don't see the monster, but are just left to wonder what the heck could have come out of there, done all that damage and went back in. You can never show us anything as scary as we make up in our own heads. So excellent choice.

I also loved the old photo look when grandpa was trying to get rid of the box. I might have played with some of that in entire WWII sequence. Or maybe shoot it on a smaller camera, a super-8 camera, or just something to give it another tone. But this is all just a choice and idea, really.

Kudos on landing the great locations. The bicycle factory is so timeless, it really helped sell WWII stuff. I WANT IT! :)

Wanted to say I'd agree with Noel. I think this could have really benefited from not feeling so "lit." Like when the soldiers found the box, I might have rolled with the choice to light that whole place with just those yellow lights, and a shaft of light here and there. Or when the boys are in the barn.

Also, I know this is tough with costumes, but I had the feeling that the one thing that worked against the soldiers was that they were entirely too clean and their uniforms not really lived in.

I would have made those guys go roll around in the mud for a while, then lived in those duds for at least a day, get them nice and ripe. Or at the very least had the costumer really run them through the mud and let that cake on there.

One last suggestion. I might have made those kids a little more specific in their characters to differentiate them some and provide some tension between them.

Anyway, just suggestions for the next one.

Nice work!!!

Chris_Keaton
11-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Mark, credit has to go to Alex, I just wrote it.

Mark Harris
11-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Yeah, brain fart, meant to say Alex.

Sprocketboy
11-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks for your reviews - Noel and Mark. I'm not one to make excuses but I'll make some anyway. The file I uploaded is a premature version without a lick of color correction or grading. Going in... I had a color scheme in mind and the we lit the scenes for it. More light is better than no light, using the proper ratio and color temp. In post, I have a lot more latitude. Not exactly a David Fincher approach but it works when you have a competent DIT on set. Currently, I have the version I intended to show, but too late in the game. That's how the cookie crumbles.

Dirty soldiers. What can I say? The uniforms could use more wear and tear that's for sure. I did have them roll around on the ground. I have dirty seats in my car after transporting them between locations. I assure you they look a lot cleaner in the overlit version you are watching.

I did have an idea of having kid in the red sweatshirt smoking a cigarette in the barn and offering it to his pal. It would make him more of a bad boy... sort of like the boy with the cigar in Pinocchio and Pinocchio follows his lead. This went out the window as soon as we realize hay and fire don't go well together. Also, fake cigarettes look really fake, even the battery operated ones.

I'm glad you had a chance to watch.

SparkyZa
11-12-2009, 04:39 PM
I just wrote it.

Oh, that explains a lot. This LOOKED great!
hEe HeE

Mark Harris
11-12-2009, 11:17 PM
cool, then I def look forward to seeing the cc-ed version.

dsto
11-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Hmm...where to begin. I LOVED IT!
Great choice in lead. Super shots. Effects were fun to watch. I really really enjoyed your film.

Sprocketboy
11-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Oh, that explains a lot. This LOOKED great!
hEe HeE

Hey Sparky! Get back inside the Jack in the Box before someone gets a look at you.

cool, then I def look forward to seeing the cc-ed version.

Its amazing how much it shows off in the final version when its done right.

Hmm...where to begin. I LOVED IT!
Great choice in lead. Super shots. Effects were fun to watch. I really really enjoyed your film.

Thanks for the positive comments.

Shawn Philip Nelson
11-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Well done! Big marks for originality and going period with it. I agree with the earlier comments about being overlit. Just penalize your DP for every fixture he uses :-).

Also agree on the dirty quotient needing to go up.

Great flick!

Sprocketboy
11-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks, Shawn. I appreciate the good cheer.

I did break my DPs legs on the curb of the street. :Drogar-Love(DBG):

He actually did his job perfectly. I'm the one to blame for uploading this short without a stitch of color balancing and grading. We over lit with a purpose in mind. I have the graded version now and its really beautiful.

The soldiers even look dirty. :grin: Yes, there is dirt on them, even in the bright light.

The DP working on this project is extremely capable. He has a Sundance film in his back pocket. He is none-to-happy about me uploading the current version online.

Nevermore.

RodThompson
11-18-2009, 06:04 PM
I like dirt.

ZazaCast
11-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Nice avatar Rod....

Chris_Keaton
11-18-2009, 06:31 PM
I think he modeled for it. Guess which part.

Sprocketboy
11-18-2009, 07:35 PM
I like dirt.

I know. Everyone knows. :evil:

Matty_g
11-18-2009, 10:29 PM
So lets see some graded grabs

Chris_Keaton
11-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Great! My own composer rooting for another film. I can't complain. Its a fantastic piece of work. I've rate very few film this one, troy's film and devil's toy ...Devil's toy have very very good scene like that of discover the bodies (i like them so much), while this one have (IMO) good light, very good visual effect ..devil's film have more complexes changing scenes andgood visual effect like flies on the bodies and I was really really happy to work for Sprocketboy (hope in its feature)

I'm impressed for dispatch regarding the blood color, light, camera and so on

but all those video have my 5 stars excellent work guys...looking for yours features

So my comment on dispacth didn't mean that other film are bad ...at contrary you, nobel, and troy's film have my 5 stars
hope we can work togheter for further project ..(hope features)
Best Regards and good luck for the final rate

I'm guessing you want to work on a feature. :grin:

Sprocketboy
11-19-2009, 10:21 AM
So lets see some graded grabs

Hi Matt - Still not nearly as dirty as Saving Private Ryan. Its closer to the dirt of The Big Red One. Most non-filmmakers totally dismiss it. I'm not saying I should. Otherwise, the intent is not to make more dirt but to maintain the original integrity of the image and flesh tones (quite easy to do with the 3700). It has 10 stops of latitude. We crushed the blacks and added more green in the shadows and mids. Red is vivid. ProRes 422 HQ and occasionally ProRes 4444 is used throughout the editing process. Here are some grabs:

http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_war01.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_war02.jpg
http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_war05.jpg

And here is the barn with the kids:

http://www.sprocketboy.com/thedevilstoy/dvxuser/tdt_barn01.jpg