PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Thumbnails are interminable!!!

simonclivehughes
08-24-2009, 09:05 AM
I loaded 130 720p clips (almost all 10 seconds each) into iMovie '09 which took about 2 hours, but the process of creating the thumbnails is just ridiculous... I finally terminated iMovie after three hours when the "time remaining" got up to 156 hours! Is this normal?

Would I be better to transcode using Neoscene (for example) and then use FCP (Ver 5)? I'm running a MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo/3GB machine. I have a 500GB external FW drive for video.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

UPDATED: Well, I rebooted iMovie and the thumbnail process began again, and this time, it finished in a short time... I guess something just glitched out before. Subsequent runs went perfectly.

Cheers,

Ben_B
08-24-2009, 09:33 AM
I don't have much experience with NeoScene but I will, as I am want to do, advise an upgrade to Final Cut Studio 2 (or 3)...log and transfer works pretty darn well.

simonclivehughes
08-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Ben,

Thanks, but I bought a used academic version of FCS 1, so no upgrade possible, and I can't afford to go new for hobby use.

Cheers,

J Davis
08-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Maybe you could use this? it costs $40 or so
http://www.hdvideo-converter.com/hd-converter-for-mac.htm
Then use quicktimes in your current version of fcp

Martti Ekstrand
08-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Toast 10. Toast 10. Toast 10. Haven't I said Toast enough times by now? And no, I'm in no way affiliated with Roxio. I just find it a very good flexible fast transcoder on top of everything else it does well. And you get a nice video player for previewing the .mts files. Click on "Converting Video" here:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/titanium/overview.html

Ben_B
08-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah software can get expensive...hahahahahaha.

Let me declare once and for all:
I do not endorse the illegal distribution or downloading of software. Even if the companies are charging $1,000 for a 128mb upgrade (here's looking at you Final Cut Pro 7.)

simonclivehughes
08-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Toast 10. Toast 10. Toast 10. Haven't I said Toast enough times by now? And no, I'm in no way affiliated with Roxio. I just find it a very good flexible fast transcoder on top of everything else it does well.

Martti,

Thanks for the advise. What format do you transcode to for use in FCP?

Cheers,

Martti Ekstrand
08-24-2009, 11:10 AM
So far I've only done stuff for Vimeo / YouTube from my GH1 so I've been lazily using Apple Intermediate Codec as their auto-encoders happily crushes the image quality and anything better would be overkill. With AIC most real-time colour correctors and fades in FCP work without hassles.
But now I got jobs coming up that I might shoot with the GH1 - and will test out both PhotoJPEG and Blackmagic codecs as that's the capture / playback card I work with.

simonclivehughes
08-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah software can get expensive...hahahahahaha.

Let me declare once and for all:
I do not endorse the illegal distribution or downloading of software. Even if the companies are charging $1,000 for a 128mb upgrade (here's looking at you Final Cut Pro 7.)

Ben,

Agree 100%. Many years ago, when we used to build Apple ][ clones, I remember having a shoe box full of 5-1/4 inch floppies that we would trade like bubble gum cards! It doesn't take long, however, to realize that copying simply takes money from the programmers and you end up with less good quality programs.

These days, I often end up simply not being able to afford the software that I would otherwise like to have.

Cheers,

Ben_B
08-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Ben,

Agree 100%. Many years ago, when we used to build Apple ][ clones, I remember having a shoe box full of 5-1/4 inch floppies that we would trade like bubble gum cards! It doesn't take long, however, to realize that copying simply takes money from the programmers and you end up with less good quality programs.

These days, I often end up simply not being able to afford the software that I would otherwise like to have.

Cheers,

There's somewhat of a contradiction in that statement...if you could never afford it or buy it anyway and just go without then they're not losing any money if you download...not saying it works out this way, just saying that that is by definition true if we take your statement as true.

In any case I'd say take a few liberties with the license...look for a used copy, or find a friend who's upgraded to Final Cut Studio 3, and has (in theory although probably not actually) freed up their license and get it from them.

Ryan McCarvill
08-24-2009, 03:35 PM
There's somewhat of a contradiction in that statement...if you could never afford it or buy it anyway and just go without then they're not losing any money if you download...not saying it works out this way, just saying that that is by definition true if we take your statement as true.

In any case I'd say take a few liberties with the license...look for a used copy, or find a friend who's upgraded to Final Cut Studio 3, and has (in theory although probably not actually) freed up their license and get it from them.

If you don't want to pay the asking price then obviously you don't want the product enough and its not for you. There are plenty of cheaper and very useful alternatives to FCP on the market.

Ben_B
08-25-2009, 12:25 AM
In any case, I'd say now that FCS 2 is last version you can probably pick up a copy for pretty cheap.

simonclivehughes
08-25-2009, 01:46 PM
If you don't want to pay the asking price then obviously you don't want the product enough and its not for you. There are plenty of cheaper and very useful alternatives to FCP on the market.

Ryan,

Can you expand on this... what else would you recommend for Mac?

Cheers,

simonclivehughes
08-25-2009, 01:47 PM
In any case, I'd say now that FCS 2 is last version you can probably pick up a copy for pretty cheap.

Ben,

While I agree with you on this, I'm not sure I'd really see enough of a difference over what FCP5 will do for me, especially if I'm using a 3rd party transcoder.

Cheers,