PDA

View Full Version : What Program can support the GH1?

Untitled04
08-16-2009, 11:38 PM
So i'm figuring out whether to buy FCS 1 for $100, FCS 2 for 400, or FCS 3. I just wanted to know if all of these support the GH1 workflow. I understand that nothing really can edit the footage natively.

But is it possible to change the files so it can be edited on FCS 1. And will Compressor be able to do this? Or do i need a different program?

bbinnard
08-17-2009, 12:22 AM
What is FCS? And what computer are you using?

Untitled04
08-17-2009, 02:18 AM
Sorry, FCS meaning Final Cut Studio. And I have a macbook pro.

Ben_B
08-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Get FCS2, FCS1 will not be able to transfer the footage. Then, if you want, buy an upgrade license to FC3...assuming the FCS2 is not an academic version or something. You can use log and transfer to transfer to ProRes, which ends up pretty massive, so I am planning to use FCP 7 in FCS3 at some point to use ProRes LT and see if that helps (but keeps quality same hopefully.) Right now my FCP 6 workflow is to log to AIC, edit, relog to ProRes, reconnect, media manage down to the essentials, color correct, and render out...that way things run a little faster on my computers and I'm not dealing with huge files.

Martti Ekstrand
08-17-2009, 09:03 AM
I just use Toast 10 to transcode to any Quicktime codec of my choice including my capture card's native uncompressed files then drag-n-drop that into Final Cut. Works with any version of FCP and I'm not bound to only use ProRes and AIC.

Ben_B
08-17-2009, 09:33 AM
In theory ProRes is going to give you the best quality right? And AIC is a great lightweight codec...not really sure what the problem is.

In any case, go with Studio 2 because you can then upgrade to Studio 3 later if you want for cheap, and Studio 2 was a huge improvement from Studio 1.

Nighthawk
08-17-2009, 04:36 PM
I just use Toast 10 to transcode to any Quicktime codec of my choice including my capture card's native uncompressed files then drag-n-drop that into Final Cut. Works with any version of FCP and I'm not bound to only use ProRes and AIC.

Martti, you seem like a really seasoned vet in the post production arena and I know you're in Pal country but if you were in NTSC land which method and from which codec would you recommend for pulldown removal if shooting in the GH1's 1080 mode then putting into FCP?

Ben_B
08-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Shooting 720p/60 ;)

I am using JES deinterlacer and ProRes and it seems to work fine but again i shoot mostly 720p/60.

Martti Ekstrand
08-17-2009, 05:14 PM
if you were in NTSC land which method and from which codec would you recommend for pulldown removal if shooting in the GH1's 1080 mode then putting into FCP?

Hmm... I have really little experience with pulldown removal and that was long ago so I mainly remembers it's a Royale B*ttpain with Cheeze. As far as I've seen here the only two options seems to be either Cineform's NeoScene program or Voltaic. Toast doesn't not do pulldown as far as I know but I haven't had a reason to check it properly. BTW what codec you choose isn't directly related to the pulldown removal.

When I was testing around the Cineform codec sure did look best versus file size but since it's not supported by FCPs real-time engine for fades and speed changes I haven't gotten it yet as I've only done GH1 stuff for Vimeo so far and for that AIC suffices. If I were to do a longer project Cineform seems like a good option for quality vs storage. It certainly looks a lot better than ProRes which has a edge sharpening going on in the encoding that shows up a couple of generations down or when doing hard contrast colour corrections. That edge sharpening is also prone to bring out noise in the source material. YMMV.

When I do any pro commercial jobs I use Blackmagic Design Uncompressed since that's the capture / playback card I own (Decklink HD Extreme) but that also requires a pretty beafy and pricey RAID when working in HD so it's probably not a option for most people here and would be unfeasible for a longer short or a indie feature. Commercials still runs in SD here so I seldom work professionally in HD as of now but it's coming soon. I mostly deliver on Quicktime Animation codec as that's 8 bit just like the transmission formats here so I see any problems with banding and such and can fix it before a client calls and yells about it. (Bit like mixing sound on small speakers instead of big honking ones since very few people have huge speakers around their TV sets.)