PDA

View Full Version : Ikonoskop resolution

arrestthisman
08-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Quick, or not so quick question:

Does anyone know the effective resolution for the Ikonoskop dII camera?

I know it's single sensor 2/3" CCD. I'm assuming it's a bayer filter for color. They state it's 1080p, but when I listen to the interviews and read the forums, there's quite a bit of ambiguity in terms of what they're getting in actual rez.

Thanks for any info anyone might know, or even speculation. Perhaps those more familiar with bayer tech could maybe explain what the highest realistic rez you can get from a 1080p sensor.

(Yes, I've done my searching :) )

Barry_Green
08-15-2009, 12:13 PM
If it's a Bayer sensor, count on losing about 25% to 30% to the demosaic process.

However, I didn't see anywhere on the Ikonoskop page where it lists the sensor res. It says only that it records to a 1920x1080 frame. So if it's using a 3-megapixel sensor, it should be able to deliver a full true 1920x1080 resolved image.

It also says that the sensor size is 10.6mm wide, which it then calls "super 16", which isn't accurate; Super16 is 12mm wide.

There is some speculation (so far unconfirmed, AFAIK) that the Ikonoskop is using this Kodak sensor (http://www.kodak.com/global/en/business/ISS/Products/Interline/KAI-02150/specs.jhtml). If so, then yes, that's a Bayer-pattern 1920x1080 sensor, so expect real-world image resolution of around 1500 x 845 or so.

arrestthisman
08-15-2009, 09:16 PM
thanks for the info. that was exactly the information i was looking for.

I'd love to hear your opinion on the camera once it's out. I really have my eye on it because it's small, uncompressed, and just plain perfect for the work I do. I'll trade rez for a CCD any day. Don't want to make that a Versus issue, just my own personal preference.

Anyway thanks again!

brian hanson
08-28-2009, 03:50 PM
i'm suprised that there is so little talk about this camera, i'm interested to see what happens with this thing.

kenn michael
08-28-2009, 04:38 PM
So little talk because everyone is waiting for recent info from Ikonoskop. It's been months since they've given any updates to the status of the camera.

Otis Grapsas
08-30-2009, 02:10 AM
I don't think any digital cinema camera would be engineered for maximum resolution. It will introduce compomises in other fields which are a lot more important to a cinematographer and the end product in theaters or HD delivery media. Look at how Sony do design in this market, their flagship digital cinema camera has less luma resolution that their entry level prosumer camcorders and mobile phones.

If you want resolution, a midrange CMOS camcorder (or even an 800 euro consumer camcorder) has that . It will definitely look sharper in the typical tests that do not include dynamic range, motion quality, color precision and aesthetics, texture and shadow quality, etc. A cinematographer would generally even chose an SD camcorder if it looked great in these parameters. All these advantages are visible in every single delivery, an 600 lines PPH film projection, an SD DVD, online delivery etc. The high resolution advantage is lost in most cases and all you have left is the low dynamic range, the low saturation, dead colors, unrealistic skin tones, and the codec breakup in motion. Nobody shoots test charts for a living. Well, some people do, but test charts rarely enter the dreams of the typical filmmaker:)

isntlifeablast
09-06-2009, 02:05 AM
There is some speculation (so far unconfirmed, AFAIK) that the Ikonoskop is using this Kodak sensor (http://www.kodak.com/global/en/business/ISS/Products/Interline/KAI-02150/specs.jhtml). If so, then yes, that's a Bayer-pattern 1920x1080 sensor, so expect real-world image resolution of around 1500 x 845 or so.

I think Ikonoskop has confirmed they are using the KAI-02150 haven't they?
I have never been a big fan of Kodak digital stills imagery however. The Ikonoskop promo material for the dll I like the look of though.

The thing that most interests me about the the dll is the C-Mount.

Are there any DV/HD cameras out there using Kodak chips?