PDA

View Full Version : Question about character placement.

Moseph
08-12-2009, 04:12 PM
I hope this is the right forum to put this under, i haven't really gone outside of the more technically oriented forums too much.

Anyways, I'm currently in the process of making a storyboard for the intro of my skate video and I've got a question about how I should set up a particular shot. Basically, two characters are sitting at a table, facing directly at each other from their side of the table. I want the establishing shot to be a side view of both characters with the table in between them, so one would see both of them facing each other. After this establishing shot, it will cut back and fourth to over the shoulder shots of them in a conversation, with character 1 taking the left side of the frame for all of them, and character 2 taking the right side of the frame for all of them.

My question is, for the establishing shot, what would flow nicer, character 1 on the left and 2 on the right, just like the OTS shots but a side view, or shoot from the other side of the table and have character 2 on the left and 1 on the right? I feel like one would definitely be more distracting than the other, but honestly I have no clue which that would be. Thanks.

EDIT - Well, looks like this probably should have gone in cinematography, sorry about that.

siraj
10-18-2009, 02:38 AM
keep character two on the right and character 1 on the left for the establishing shot, this way you're not crossing over the 180 line..