PDA

View Full Version : How to get FCP to update clip thumbnails? All showing as Red/Offline

andrew00
08-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Hey,

So I'm sitting here editing a musico vid, lots of comping and boring stuff like that going on.

I'm bored to plug in my iPhone to charge

Somehow my external hard drive goes offline for a split second, maybe I knocked it, maybe the iPhone ballsed something up, I don't know. Either way it came back on a second later (almost like if you were to unplug it and plug it straight back in to the firewire port).

Anyway, in the meantime a lot of my clip thumbnails now have gone to that Red Media Offline look, so I've no idea what they are unless I put the cursor over them - which I don't want to do as they're not rendered (though there are some rendered offline ones but there you go).

Anyone know how to get FCP to update the thumbnails so they don't show as Offline (even thou they are online and play fine etc)? Or a work around or whatever I need to do please as it's driving me potty.

Cheers,
a x

lhdor
08-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Sounds like you just need to reconnect the media files. Just right click on and select Reconnect Media. Then find your files.

andrew00
08-04-2009, 08:09 AM
I've done that, but the thumbnail doesn't change - instead it just wants to re-render. This is weird b/c other parts of the same clip are fine.

I.E. One clip is a 4min wide angle clip of the song being played all the way through. This has been edited down in a dozen or so short clips. The ones that don't have the media offline thumbnail problem are sitting there, rendered, happy, showing the thumbnail etc.

However, those with the offline thumbnail remain with that thumbnail. When I click reconnect it wants to re-render the whole thing including the already rendered working fine clips.

andrew00
08-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Ok I've trashed the FCP thumbnail cache which seems to do the job (in your FCP folder in Documents).

Fingers crossed!

Cools
08-04-2009, 09:21 AM
There's a Thumbnail Cache folder. Try trashing it as well if trashing the preferences didn't help. The folder is located by default in Final Cut Pro Documents, check your System Settings.

andrew00
08-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the replies,

Aye that's what I did, seems to have worked!