PDA

View Full Version : Sennheiser 416

jporter
07-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Hi Folks--

How best to get a 416 on the HPX300? I tried out the built-in shotgun holder on the camera, but that required wrap around foam and a rubegoldberg-like fortitude I lost some time ago.

Jeff

Cees Mutsaers
07-29-2009, 03:04 PM
I am interested in the answer aswell because I am planing to get the 416 as well.

Emmet Brown
07-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Hi, just a little hint to Cees. I bought a Rode NTG 3. Its a "copy" of the 416, but half of the price and you get accesories like Pistolgrip and Softie for free on some stores. I know the 416 a well and i am really surprised of the qualities an characteristics of the NTG 3. I can highly recommend it. You can find some reviews/comparsions in the net.

BerkeleyBob
07-30-2009, 10:03 AM
I've got to agree with Emmett. There's a $500 difference in price, but very little difference in quality. Rode has a winner on its hands with the NTG3 and it's definitely worth auditioning it against the 416 prior to purchase.

Cees Mutsaers
07-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi Emmet, thanks for the tip. I read a lot about mics on various forums. I was doubting between the 416 and the MHK60 (there are some sites where there are audio samples of the mics). Actually I liked the 60 better (and it has the possibility of filters) but than I read on many threads that in moistures conditions the 416 is unbeatable which is important to me because I will use it a lot outside. I don't know how the NTG-3 is in this respect?

Hi, just a little hint to Cees. I bought a Rode NTG 3. Its a "copy" of the 416, but half of the price and you get accesories like Pistolgrip and Softie for free on some stores. I know the 416 a well and i am really surprised of the qualities an characteristics of the NTG 3. I can highly recommend it. You can find some reviews/comparsions in the net.

Spartacus
07-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Seriously: Why does anyone want to stick a 1100$ mic on a camera?
Only reason I can think of is: "Just because I can..."

Im often surprised how good an onboard shotgun sounds when you get close enough to the speakers mouth (as always rule No.1), like in streetstyle interviews.
You know evrything about polar paterns, mic placement and booming styles, but it often just sounds totaly acceptable.
Were not talking motion picture, but ENG/Documentary sound of course...
But anything more expensive than the AUDIO TECHNICA AT 875 R is a waste of money for on camera use IMHO.

Emmet Brown
07-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Hi Emmet, thanks for the tip. I read a lot about mics on various forums. I was doubting between the 416 and the MHK60 (there are some sites where there are audio samples of the mics). Actually I liked the 60 better (and it has the possibility of filters) but than I read on many threads that in moistures conditions the 416 is unbeatable which is important to me because I will use it a lot outside. I don't know how the NTG-3 is in this respect?

Hi Cees, did you read something about the NTG3 in the Net? Because exact this point (moisture, difficult environment) is one of the special features of it! (From Arctic to Jungle ;-))I only use it in almost normal conditions mounted on a boom, but i think there are field-tests in the Net in more difficult situations.....

Here a description from the Net:

Description

The NTG-3 mic is the result of years of development by RODE engineers, providing the professional broadcast and film industries with an affordable yet uncompromising microphone.Using a technology known as RF-bias the RODE NTG-3 is almost completely resistant to moisture, making the microphone an ideal option when recording in any demanding environments where condensation is an issue.In addition to its robust properties it combines very low weight (163g), a durable antiglare finish and incredibly low handling and self-noise (13dBA) to become RODE's premier A/V microphone.When not in use the NTG-3 microphone can be stored away in the included weather resistant aluminum storage cylinder, providing additional protection when traveling and storing the microphone.

Ben Digedig
08-03-2009, 10:55 AM
I got the NTG 3 too - excellent cost, weatherproof-ness and crucially sound. I've been surprised by its usefulness when just as a backup on channel; 2 (personal mic on subject in Ch1) it performs betterthan expected.

It is very long though so if you have a w/angle adapter and a softie BEWARE it coming in shot. It also took my dealer almost 2 months to sort a bush to mount it, and it still involved gaffer...

BD

videomagician
08-03-2009, 12:13 PM
My Sanken CS-1 came with rubber O-rings to make it fit in a mic holder. You might do the same for the 416 at a hardware or plumbing store?

jmarkham
08-05-2009, 11:30 AM

I also use the NTG 3 .. and it's a good mic. Not quite as sensitive as
the 416 .. so you will need a bit more gain .. but the thing is virtually
indestructible and can take very high humidity situations (which we
get a lot of in the San Francisco area) .. just make sure and dry them
afterwards.

jeff