PDA

View Full Version : Gy-hd200ub 1080

JJ_HomeFri
07-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Hey all, I'm posting this here because there is no dedicated JVC section and this seemed like the closest thing to it. I am looking into purchasing a JVC GY-HD200UB, and I had a quick question for any of you who may have had some experience with this camera. I am told that the UB version of the HD200 has the capability to record 1080 straight to the optional hard drive that attaches to the back of the camera, as opposed to the 720 that it records to miniDV. My question is, do any of you know if this type of recording uses the same type of compression used in HDV recording? In other words, will the direct 1080 recording still produce the noise and artifacts typical of recording HDV to miniDV tapes instead. Also, for those who have used the camera, how does the HD200 perform in terms of noise, artifacts, quality, etc. compared to other HDV units you might have tried? Thanks for your help!!

Cranky
07-27-2009, 09:32 PM
HDV == MPEG-2 HD on MiniDV tape. Yes, JVC uses MPEG-2 HD. Yes, it uses the same frame size and data rate as HDV 1080i. Consider it "HDV on disk".