PDA

View Full Version : I'm Liking Nero 9 for HD Editing

mikeydvx
07-27-2009, 02:33 PM
I've been using Cyberlink PowerDirector for all my GH1 footage until now. It's fast and the interface is simple and efficient but it has always lacked the ability to work with or output anything 24p or 60p: it can only do 25 and 30 fps.

I just tried the Nero 9 trial and the video editing tool that comes with it (Nero Vision) does a really nice job! It loads/edits everything I could throw at it including 24p, 30p, and 60p. It is the only tool I've found other than (the mega-expensive) Adobe Premiere or the (IMO difficult to work with) Sony Vegas that can import 24p footage and allow you to edit that footage and output at 24p without conversion to some other frame rate. So for anyone looking for a cost effective way to edit native 24p footage that has been converted with something like Neo Scene, Nero 9 can do it.

The editing tools aren't super powerful as far as effects and such but if you want something solid that can do basic 24p editing (transitions, text, etc,) and something that has the most flexible output formats available, Nero 9 can do the job. I was able to get a good idea of what it could do before I bought it and it's only $70 to buy. Only warning I'd give is that I'm not sure it is 100% compatible with AVCHD files from the GH1 because, while it did seem to work somewhat, I got some lockups and issues using AVCHD: so just transcode to AVI or something before you start editing.

Mike

Ozpeter
07-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Nero Vision has some odd bugs which sometimes causes renders never to complete (eg having a fade in on the first clip) but for quick and dirty editing with 'smart rendering' of 1080 AVCHD to an AVCHD DVD, it's probably the fastest tool available. It's been working ok here with GH1 AVCHD of both definitions - it passes through the 1080 stuff with no re-rendering and upscales the 720 stuff quite quickly.

As always with such programs, what works for me may not work for you...

Cranky
07-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Does it remove pulldown from your GH1 footage?

Ozpeter
07-27-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm PAL - so pulldown is not an issue (as I understand it...)

mikeydvx
07-28-2009, 05:54 AM
Does it remove pulldown from your GH1 footage?

As far as I can see, no. That's why I mentioned having NeoScene to convert and remove pulldown before using Nero.

Mike

mikeydvx
07-28-2009, 05:57 AM
Nero Vision has some odd bugs which sometimes causes renders never to complete (eg having a fade in on the first clip) but for quick and dirty editing with 'smart rendering' of 1080 AVCHD to an AVCHD DVD, it's probably the fastest tool available. It's been working ok here with GH1 AVCHD of both definitions - it passes through the 1080 stuff with no re-rendering and upscales the 720 stuff quite quickly.

As always with such programs, what works for me may not work for you...

I saw a lot of bugs (lockups) when I tried using the AVCHD files directly from the GH1. It would stop at something like 90% on a render, lock up while trying to add/play a transition, etc. As soon as I started converting the AVCHD to AVI with NeoScene first, I had not a single problem with Nero. It seems pretty bug free when using the AVI's instead of AVCHD which is why I said I wasn't sure if Nero is 100% compatible with the AVCHD files. To be honest though, I've tried every tool available on the PC and they've all had lockups/bugs including Sony Vegas (hesitated/jumped in every transition), Premiere (various lockups), and others.

Mike

rkotemp
07-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Did you try edius (5 or neo).
Does support 24p.
And in my test with avchd files from the gh1 not one crash so far
On the same pc tested lots of others (including premiere and vagas) witch where not stable like edius.

mikeydvx
07-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Did you try edius (5 or neo).
Does support 24p.
And in my test with avchd files from the gh1 not one crash so far
On the same pc tested lots of others (including premiere and vagas) witch where not stable like edius.

Yes. I tried both Neo and Edius 5. I found the interfaces to be a bit clunky and they were very slow at rendering. They also didn't have as much flexibility as I needed for output options. In addition, they don't seem to want to sell it! You have to jump through all sorts of hoops on their web site just to find a dealer, and some of them on the list are not even in existence any more. Couldn't even find a price. I gave up after about 10 minutes of searching. Even if you managed to find someone who actually sells it, I found one page that seemed to indicate they have to ship you a USB ding-dong just to use it. Not my cup of tea!

Mike