PDA

View Full Version : Audio for Shoot

Girlspitswater
07-27-2009, 10:49 AM
HI all,

I am shooting a tutorial with 4 characters. 3 subjects learning skateboarding and one teacher. The main audio I need to capture is the teacher, although, I would also like to capture "general audio" of what is going on in the scene while the teaching/learning is being done. Essentially I feel this would be best accomplished with a mic on the "teacher" and a second audio recording devise for the other subjects and action in the scene. My questions is, is there a way of hooking up two mics to the HMC150 and record "in camera"? I appreciate any advise for audio is far from my expertise. THANKS!

manglerBMX
07-27-2009, 11:32 AM
yeah, the hmc has 2 xlr ports for hooking up 2 audio sources. there are 2 switches inside the LCD. put channel 1 to mic input 1 and channel 2 to mic input 2.

depending on the type of mics you use, you will have to set each of those channels to line or mic input, and you do that on the front of the camera by the xlr ports.

you're going to want to put a wireless on the teacher and then use either a camera mounted shotgun or have someone boom the other subjects.

when using a shotgun mic you would set that input to mic, and then probably have to provide phantom power for that input, you'll see that switch inside the LCD as well.

most wireless lavs are line level input, but sometimes the cheaper ones will need a mic level input.

TheDingo
07-27-2009, 12:20 PM
In a perfect world, I would have boom-op with a shotgun mic on the teacher, and a good cardioid mic ( or a good digital recorder like the Olympus LS-10 or Sony PCM-D50 ) on your camera to pick-up ambient.

If a boom-op was not possible, then I would have a good lav mic ( Sennheiser MKE-2 Gold, Tram-50, CountryMan EMW, Sanken Cos-11x ) with a UHF transmitter on the teacher.

You will probably want to do a test run with this set-up before you shoot the real thing, so that you will have time to work out any kinks that might show up.

Girlspitswater
07-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks BMX and Dingo.

I am happy with your impute thus far. One question however does arise. This is pertaining to one scenario with one lav and one on camera shotgun. Hypothetically, if the teacher has a wireless lav, and the second "ambient" mic a camera mounted shotgun, what would happend if the camera was pointed at the teacher? I assume there would be a conflict of audio recording between the lav and the boom? From anyones experience or even an educated guess, what would exaclty happen in this senario?

Girlspitswater
07-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Sorry, I meant shotgun (not boom)...

TheDingo
07-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Between a lav on the teacher and a camera mounted shotgun mic, you're going to get better sound from the lav. ( provided it's a good lav mic )

The main reason is that the lav will always be in close proximity to the teacher, while your camera mounted shotgun is most likely going to be too far away.

Mics are really meant to be used close to the person you are trying to record, which is why you always see boom-ops holding their shotgun mics just out of frame. ( a shotgun mic is NOT the mic equivalent of a "telephoto lens" )

A good shotgun mic can record great sound from a few feet away, but we are normally talking less than 4 feet from the speaker. If all your teacher shots are going to be within a few feet of the teacher, then a camera mounted mic might be ok, but most likely you are not going to be tracking the teacher that closely.