PDA

View Full Version : New transcoder to try

Tameside
07-27-2009, 06:36 AM
Hi,

i've been using this to transcode and have found it amazing! its fast, it coverts to alot of things and seems to do everything the others do and more.

Be interested in other results, I can only do pal testing, has 24p and 23.99 option too. Plus is more user friendly and cheap, <$40. Also the trial allows 50% clip transcode.

regards

http://www.xilisoft.com/video-converter/video-converter-comparison.html

Ozpeter
07-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the tip, but I'm getting less than optimal rendering of motion - cars jerking across the picture (it's subtle but it's there) - when I compare with a similar transcode in the Elecard product I already have. Others mileage may vary - I suspect these things are often a matter of the precise workflow method and how the footage is finally viewed.

Ozpeter
07-28-2009, 03:17 AM
Hmmm - maybe I was too hasty - I think the defaults are for NTSC and I'm using PAL. I'm trying it again with amended settings.

Tameside
07-28-2009, 04:01 AM
Hi, yes you beat me to it, just going to say, make sure you select 25fps or 50fps, depending on your purpose/requirements if your pal or non-pal. I transcoded and joined 720/50 and 1080/25 all to 720p/25 wmv yesterday and it plays at 25fps in media player classic(ffdshow) and the statistics are bang on 25fps, no dropped frames or anything, smooth as silk and no interlacing artifacts from the 1080p. It seems too good to be true!

Tameside
07-28-2009, 04:23 AM
Anybody trying, there are 3 versions, basic, premium and ultimate, try the ultimate version, seems to have a 3 min clip limitation, thats all, so is basically free for alot of people, I hardly ever oover 3 min clips, also it will join/cut clips as well, but the small screen is a little fidly for colour changes. The available transcodes are not for everyone though, mp2, ts streams are at 20mbits and I think mov's were too, anyway if it does the pulldown for non-pal people and outputs in mov/wmv/mts/m2ts/ then it may be good enough.

Ozpeter
07-28-2009, 05:03 AM
There are more converters there than you could shake a stick at. For just doing conversions with nothing much else I'd suggest looking at...

http://www.xilisoft.com/hd-video-converter.html for PC or

http://www.xilisoft.com/hd-video-converter-mac.html for Mac.

The results I'm getting now are more encouraging. Chief thing seems to be that the advanced settings seem (to my amateur eye) pretty comprehensive, and the target formats on offer are likewise many in number. For editing I have a ragbag of software on my PC and some programs like one kind of file and others another. This conversion software seems to provide a reasonable chance of covering all bases. And at $39.95 you can't go too wrong, especially as the test version provides more than enough to allow you to be sure.

Gets my 'well worth a look' seal of approval.

Kiri
07-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Looks to convert between formats very nicely and the AVI file I played back in media player looked good, but for some reason I couldn't bring the converted file into vegas correctly. It only brought the audio...

Also, I guess this program does not remove pulldown etc..?

Tameside
07-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Have you tried to remove pulldown, there is a 23.97 and 24 setting, give it a go. I only have pal gh1!, hence request for people to try.

Try wmv, highest setting, or the mp2ts, settings, they should work in vegas

Kiri
07-28-2009, 12:34 PM
I just tried xilisoft again, first with WMV, then MPG.
The WMV file worked, but when I tried to step through the frames in the editor it would jump all over the place, very strange.
The MPG file I converted seems to work quite well so far. So far I have only tried converting formats and not removing pulldown. I will try some more settings later..

Ozpeter
07-28-2009, 09:29 PM
the AVI file I played back in media player looked good, but for some reason I couldn't bring the converted file into vegas correctly. It only brought the audio...Odd, I had the same problem with AVI files from this converter when opened in Premiere Elements 7.