PDA

View Full Version : Basic workflow for editing GH1 video

Kiri
07-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Ok, I just got my GH1 and want to do some video editing, but right now its all going a bit over my head.
I've been reading through the threads in this forum, but I think I need a more basic breakdown.
Would anyone be so kind as to tell me the basic steps to get started? (or point me in the direction of where I can find more info or tutorials)

I'm planning to edit on my laptop which is a couple years old now (core2duo 2.00ghz 2.5GB RAM, Geforce go 7400 GPU), so I think I will not be able to edit the AVCHD files smoothly so I need to transcode them first yes?
Only problem is, I don't really understand how to transcode the files or what software to use.

Also I was wondering what editing software you are using for the GH1 footage? I seem to remember reading that sony vegas is a good choice because it can handle the files natively or something like that?

Thanks for any advice :)

Dalton Boettcher
07-23-2009, 11:55 AM
If you're just getting started, I'd highly recommend Sony Vegas (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro). It's a great editor and easy to pick up on. For working with intermediate files, you might want to check out Cineform's Neoscene (http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/). More details on that workflow can be found here (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=172765).

Your computer should have no problem editing the cineform intermediate files with Vegas. I've used Cineform and Vegas for HDV intermediate workflows in the past and been very impressed with the speed and simplicity.

Tameside
07-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Premiere elements works with the gh1 clips, is cheap, you dont need to transcode the clips, they import straight in, and that laptop seems plenty fast enough. Download the trial and give it a go! if nothing else you can use it transcode the files to other formats, but is a bit slower than a dedicated transcoder which usually is a simple "batch" application and usually very quick.

Alternatively there is voltic, do a search but I'm dissapointed because I've shelled out for it and it doesnt work on gh1 720p clips, they say they are working on it, and the support does seem good. However, am trialling something else, better than voltic and same price($40). Am trying to get my money back of voltic and then I'll purchase this new converter.

Benefits of the transcoder, you can convert to wmv, mov, avi etc so makes import into the nle packages a bit easier and takes the avc hassle out of the process.

Dalton Boettcher
07-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Also, if you're interested in a cheaper editor, I'd recommend Vegas Movie Studio (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope). It's what I used when I got started editing. Lot cheaper than Vegas and it's very similar in terms of layout, feel, process, ect. They claim it can do AVCHD editing out of the box, but only mention Sony cameras.

Depending on the project, you might still want to consider working with a different codec.

dmoreno
07-23-2009, 01:24 PM
I agree with the Vegas+Neo Scene combo being an excellent choice.
I also edit on a laptop, it has a 2.4 GHZ processor and 4 GB of RAM, it still has some difficulties handling the AVCHD raw footage.
You can edit natively in Vegas without any transcoding, it even converts 60p to 24p by simply dropping the files in a 24p timeline (setting clips properties to "disable resample" is recommended).
Though, Vegas (or any other NLE that I know) can't remove pulldown from the 24p footage, this is where Neoscene shines! Also the files converted to cineform work much better on my laptop, realtime preview without any hiccups or frame dropping.
I also have found that NeoScene can work well for converting 60p to 24p.

Kiri
07-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Thank you all for the answers.
@Dalton: Vegas + Neoscene sounds like it might be the way to go for me, since I have used vegas before (albeit several versions ago), and quite like how it performed. Neoscene is new to me though.

@Tameside: Thanks for the heads up. Do you really think my laptop would be strong enough to handle the native files? I will give it a try, but everything I have read online so far seems to suggest that you need a VERY powerful computer (quad core or better) to handle those AVCHDs smoothly.

@dmoreno: Thanks, vegas does sound like the way to go for now.

yslee
07-25-2009, 09:47 PM
I have a trial of Vegas Movie Studio, and it supports the AVCHD files from the GH1 just fine. My only issue is that it's a Sony product...

Kiri
07-25-2009, 11:03 PM
@yslee: lol, yeah I know what you mean. I think Edius might be worth a try too.. Seems to get good reviews and apparently performs quite well on modest systems without using as many system resources as some other software.

rkotemp
07-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Just tested a lot of software. All tested with AVCHD files from the GH1.
And Edius (Neo and 5) was the winner for me.
It was all tested on a ‘old’ laptop. With a Centrino Moblile processor running at 1.7Ghz and 1Gb memory. A good test to see if they could run with limited resources.
The more clips added the more unstable and slow most programs became. The exception was edius. Never had a crash and memory use was very low.
Using AVCHD files direct on the timeline was possible with all software but none could play them realtime without rendering.
With transcoding Edius was able to play the timeline without rendering if no filters/effects where used (you don’t need a separate program, edius can convert form within the clip bin).
All test where done with 720p 50fps clips and settings.
Performance and able to run on this low hardware was not the main test. Stability was one test but I also tested the edit functions en export options i wanted. And edius did all i wanted.

The programs I tried:
Pinnacle Sudio 12 Ultimate
Edius NEO 2
MAGIX VIDEO PRO X 1.5
Cyberlink PowerDirector
Edius 5
Premiere Pro
Premiere Elements 7
Sony Vegas Pro 9

ROne
07-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Edius is fantastic for stability and format integration. Don't forget you geta free avc transcoder with the full version.

Kiri
07-26-2009, 08:13 PM
@rkotemp: What settings did you use with Edius (for the project etc)? I tried to play some of the GH1 avchd files in it yesterday but they would not play back properly. They seemed to play back in slow mo and jerky. But the CPU usage was only at about 60% so I don't think that was the problem.. I've never used Edius before, so I think I'm missing something important, but not sure what.

yslee
07-26-2009, 08:46 PM
@yslee: lol, yeah I know what you mean. I think Edius might be worth a try too.. Seems to get good reviews and apparently performs quite well on modest systems without using as many system resources as some other software.
Kiri, I'm on a Core i7 machine so the resources part doesn't bother me. It's giving Sony money that's the issue. :P

Kiri
07-27-2009, 02:11 AM
I just tried transcoding a clip in neoscene, but now when I play the neoscene avi back in vegas it will not play smoothly and my CPU usage jumps to 100%.

I have also tried rendering out the same AVCHD clip directly from vegas and removing pulldown through vegas. For the vegas rendered files, they play back with no problems and relatively low CPU usage, though I can't seem to get them to look the same as the neoscene ones..

Does anyone know why the neoscene transcoded files might not be playing back properly?

Tameside
07-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Kiri,

try this

http://www.xilisoft.com/video-converter/video-converter-comparison.html

the others didnt work for me either, alternatively go for an nle package like adobe prem/ele. that imports the clips directly, the transcode only adds value if you really need to work with the native clip and the nle is slow.

This transcoder is the best I can find, give it a go? interested in your comments/feedback. It goes to anything and everything, amazing s/w.

Ozpeter
07-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Premiere elements works with the gh1 clips, is cheap, you dont need to transcode the clips, they import straight in, and that laptop seems plenty fast enough.Here, Premiere 7 doesn't like 720 clips from the GH1 - it seems to do a lot of processing when it encounters them, then basically it hangs. But others in this thread seem not to get that. Odd.

I'm giving the converter(s) you mentioned a whirl, Tameside, to see if I get better or easier results compared with the Elecard converter which I finally got working well. I'll report back in the other thread you started on the matter.

rkotemp
07-28-2009, 03:25 PM
@rkotemp: What settings did you use with Edius (for the project etc)? I tried to play some of the GH1 avchd files in it yesterday but they would not play back properly. They seemed to play back in slow mo and jerky. But the CPU usage was only at about 60% so I don't think that was the problem.. I've never used Edius before, so I think I'm missing something important, but not sure what.

Different setting used. But most of the time:

Output device: Generic OHCI HD 50Hz
Output format: 1280x720 50p
Rendering format: Canopus HQ Standard
TC preset: 00:00:00:00
TC mode: non drop frame
Total length: --:--:--:--
Over scan size: 3%
Audio Reference level: -20,0db
Panning mode: standard
Color space conversion: standaard

Kiri
07-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Yah, thats pretty much the settings I had, except I used 60p and 24p.

justin_j_nyc
08-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Greetings....my amazing filmmaker friend, Arin Crumley of Four-Eyed Monsters fame, has posted this call for a developer for the ultimate GH1 / AVCHD transcoder. It's an insanely monumental request but it really addresses a sh*tload of workflow issues is also a visionary template that could really unlock the ridiculous beauty that the DSLR / AVCHD format can be. At the very least it will prompt a great discussion. Please read:

http://arincrumley.com/looking-for-video-software-developer-to-facilitate-gh1-workflow
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Eyed_Monsters