PDA

View Full Version : VoltaicHD vs Cineform NeoScene

nyczSZx
07-21-2009, 05:57 PM
I don't know which one to chose from for 24p conversion. VoltaicHD is $35 but Cineform NeoScene is $129...Is there a major difference in program? is one better than the other for 24p? :undecided

mrmoe
07-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Someone recently did a transcode comparison test with 5 various applications. Do a quick search.

nyczSZx
07-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Someone recently did a transcode comparison test with 5 various applications. Do a quick search.

I'm having trouble finding that thread :undecided

Bungess
08-03-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm having trouble finding it too...
Anybody know which thread MrMoe was talking about?

Barry_Green
08-03-2009, 09:48 AM
They both remove 24p pulldown. The quality of the Cineform conversion is vastly superior to the quality of the Voltaic conversion, in my testing. However, the Cineform file sizes are simply massive as compared to the Voltaic file sizes.

PappasArts
08-05-2009, 10:52 AM
They both remove 24p pulldown. The quality of the Cineform conversion is vastly superior to the quality of the Voltaic conversion, in my testing. However, the Cineform file sizes are simply massive as compared to the Voltaic file sizes.

I got Cineform and can agree, it's cleaner than Voltaic, however the file sizes are massive.

One issue with Cineform I've noticed; is in the first several ( between 0 and 10 ) frames there is an interlace artifact where the fields are not correct. Then it's fine, however what is causing this?

Does cineform lift the gamma? It seems compared to my Voltaic conversions to Mjpeg at highest level are darker than compared to NeoScene processed files?

Maybe the best way to look at the cineform processed files is; there like the developed negative from the lab, after developed you store them away and work with converted versions of those that are not so massive.

ryansheffer
08-05-2009, 12:42 PM
I've had the same issue as you, Pappas. The interlacing artifact doesn't happen on all shots, but I've seen it on more than a few.

PappasArts
08-05-2009, 12:47 PM
I've had the same issue as you, Pappas. The interlacing artifact doesn't happen on all shots, but I've seen it on more than a few.

I wonder if this has something to do with GOP.

Any ideas Barry?

Tameside
08-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Try Xillisoft as well, http://www.xilisoft.com/video-converter.html

Barry_Green
08-05-2009, 03:26 PM
I haven't seen any interlacing on NeoScene converted footage...

PappasArts
08-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I haven't seen any interlacing on NeoScene converted footage...

This is at frame 7 of the clip. After this it's fine, however I have a few clips that start out like this. Cineform is so basic and straight forward that it's not a setting that's for sure.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/PappasArts/VVSC.jpg

John Caballero
08-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Oh, yummy! We are gonna see flowers from Pappas and his new GH1. I hope we see cats too! Joking aside, we are waiting for your comments and footage.

Isaac_Brody
08-05-2009, 04:51 PM
I've seen that before, it's like it takes one pass to catch the pulldown and then it clicks in. At least I've seen it on Neoscene for Mac. Doesn't bother me, in probably 99 percent of instances you won't need those first seven frames.

Barry_Green
08-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I haven't seen that on the Windows version. I don't use the Mac version, so maybe that's the difference?

e-steve
08-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I am missing something in thinking that if we have FCP and Compressor we don't need either program in our workflow? I did buy Flamingo and VoltaicHD, but seem to prefer the FCP Log and Transfer to Compressor route in managing files...

What are the pros and cons?

Barry_Green
08-06-2009, 02:50 PM
The main reason that people are looking at these tools is to remove the pulldown from 1080/24p footage, and properly restructure the chroma in the footage.

I don't know how L&T/Compressor deals with those issues.

billh
08-11-2009, 05:11 AM
I am missing something in thinking that if we have FCP and Compressor we don't need either program in our workflow? I did buy Flamingo and VoltaicHD, but seem to prefer the FCP Log and Transfer to Compressor route in managing files...

What are the pros and cons?

I would love to have a better understanding of this too. What are the image quality, file size and processing time differences (it takes literally hours to output a 5 minute high res QT or DVD in FCP7 on an Intel mac with 8GB memory). Are there any clips around that are processed both ways?

Thanks,

Bill

Ian-T
08-11-2009, 10:09 AM
One issue with Cineform I've noticed; is in the first several ( between 0 and 10 ) frames there is an interlace artifact where the fields are not correct. Then it's fine, however what is causing this?
.This has always been an issue with all of Cineform's pulldown removal software. I think David Newman explained a while back that it takes that amount of time for the software to lock on. I think the idea is, when you shoot, to have some leeway in your footage so as to clip this portion off for editing.

Blackout
05-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Does this still stand true? VoltaicHD claims to have vastly improved it's codec. With neoscene, I get added artifacts and noise in detail levels if I use the medium setting, and when I sue the high setting the file sizes are just ridiculous.

averan
05-07-2010, 05:17 PM
i thought that with voltaic, you could transcode to whatever quicktime codec you wanted?

Blackout
05-19-2010, 11:16 AM
I am talking PC Win 7 not mac. Suddenly none of my neoscene converted files are playing on a Win 7 64 system. I don't know what happened I may have to do a rollback.