PDA

View Full Version : Help With Choosing The Right HD Camcorder , Rough price range $4-6K(Canadian)

DDirector
07-15-2009, 04:36 PM
After several months, I am still undecided upon which camera to purchase. I would much rather wait longer and hear more opinions then purchase one that I feel is right then later down the road find one costing slightly more or less, yet being much better.

I am purchasing my first Professional Camcorder. Without any additional accessories such as lighting, etc. I am trying to achieve the film look in HD.

I am not too sure as what I really need. Perhaps if you asked me some general questions as to what would be needed and so forth, I would say if I would need it or not. But, I do know some things that I do require;

- NTSC
- HD; 1080p or 720p minimum.
- 24fps
- 1.78:1 (16:9) & 1.85:1 & 2.35:1 If its programmed that's great. If not, lens purchase will be required.
- Shoulder mount Preferred* If It does not have a shoulder mount, I will need to purchase one.
- 3CCD
- Record on a format that will not require additional expensive accessories to transfer onto computer (XP). Preferred.
- As Close To A Real Film Camera
- Good night recording
*Selected few movies that are good, will be made on 35mm Film.*

Shooting all types of movies;
- Action (Fast passed)
- Horror (Able to change colour for mood)
- etc.

Company preferred?
None.

Preferred Size/Weight?
None. I will have shoulder support.

I am not too sure as what else I would require. But, I would be better off having additional things on a camcorder then fewer as upgrades in the future might be possible. And having everything plus more would not require upgrades, or as much.

egoshin
07-15-2009, 06:41 PM
After several months, I am still undecided upon which camera to purchase. I would much rather wait longer and hear more opinions then purchase one that I feel is right then later down the road find one costing slightly more or less, yet being much better.

I am purchasing my first Professional Camcorder. Without any additional accessories such as lighting, etc. I am trying to achieve the film look in HD.

I am not too sure as what I really need. Perhaps if you asked me some general questions as to what would be needed and so forth, I would say if I would need it or not. But, I do know some things that I do require;

- NTSC
- HD; 1080p or 720p minimum.
- 24fps
- 1.78:1 (16:9) & 1.85:1 & 2.35:1 If its programmed that's great. If not, lens purchase will be required.
- Shoulder mount Preferred* If It does not have a shoulder mount, I will need to purchase one.
- 3CCD
- Record on a format that will not require additional expensive accessories to transfer onto computer (XP). Preferred.
- As Close To A Real Film Camera
- Good night recording
*Selected few movies that are good, will be made on 35mm Film.*

Shooting all types of movies;
- Action (Fast passed)
- Horror (Able to change colour for mood)
- etc.

Company preferred?
None.

Preferred Size/Weight?
None. I will have shoulder support.

I am not too sure as what else I would require. But, I would be better off having additional things on a camcorder then fewer as upgrades in the future might be possible. And having everything plus more would not require upgrades, or as much.

Try JVC HM100/HM100U:

NTSC, all HD - 1920x1080i60/p30/p24, 1280x720, bit rate up to 35Bit/sec to SDHC (4/8/16/32GB class 6) in MOV or MP4 format (actually - MPEG2 with Long GOPs). MP4 works fine with Vegas Pro 9 and MOV - in Apple FCP. No file transfer - both work directly from SDHC card.

No SD format, so you should convert to it.

No standard shoulder mount but it has only 3pounds (1200+g) weight and Optical IS in Fujinon lens (broadcasters choice). I have no problem to use it hours.

3CCD, it has a "film"-like setup (color and dynamic range).

It has a pretty good picture for full resolution and I like it. Not very good night recording on 1920x1080 but good work in 1280x720 low light. Night mode is better to keep for emergency (snow noise).

Uncompressed audio, and it has 2 XLRs with volume cntrl and embedded mic too.

Shutter/Iris/Exposition controls are available but not perfect. Manual focus or zoom is available as so as focus assist. Selectable light gain (0-9-18dB) and audio AGC too. Gamma/zebra/knee/sharpness/detail control through menu.

x10 zoom but wide angle lens does exist (Nikon WC-E68 - $40).

Price tag - $3500, mic included (but is better to buy another one - AT875R).

yommytacoe
07-17-2009, 07:40 PM
I bet you could easily find a used ex1 for that price. That'd be by far the best bang for your buck. Any reason why you're looking for a shoulder mount camera?

DDirector
07-18-2009, 04:43 PM
I bet you could easily find a used ex1 for that price. That'd be by far the best bang for your buck. Any reason why you're looking for a shoulder mount camera?

The reason I want a shoulder mount is that I do lots of shooting, Holding the camera its very tiring. Having it on the shoulder is a lot easier, and more stable.

I've been told by a few to get the Sony EX1 (New/Used).

And some to get a used SI-2K mini.

DDirector
07-21-2009, 03:22 PM
any other recommendations?

Mark Turner
08-05-2009, 12:16 AM

would love to know where one would be able to get that... any ideas (I am in NYC)

zoob
08-13-2009, 09:55 PM
If it's one thing HD needs...it's stabilization

male_man
08-16-2009, 03:02 PM
I think the jvc hm700 is your camera. It has ccd's, shoulder mount, can shoot in any hd format and has a sdi output. It also writes to inexpensive sd cards.

ChipG
08-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Have you considered a hand held and buying a shoulder mount for it? You might be glad you went that route for a future production, best of both worlds?

NEEL
08-28-2009, 08:18 AM
I was in the same situation some weeks ago and I also want to shoot shortfilms and some documentaries. I tried the JVC HM 100 - too bad low light, too bad in bright light, too less ND filters, no good handling and so I dumped it.

I also tried the Panasonic HMC 150 and the Sony EX1. The picture of the EX1 was sharper, but a little to "videoish" for my taste. Of course this might be fixed in post, but when I tried the HMC 150 I just fell for that kind of image. And its lighter, only half the price of the EX1 + uses cheap SD-Card media... so I got it. I already shot my first project with this cam and really like the look.

If you dont shoot much this year, you also might consider to rent a cam if needed and to wait for Canons new APS-C camcorders next year or the Red Scarlet later this year.