PDA

View Full Version : Aging The Set

mobiledeli
07-13-2009, 12:44 PM
I hope this is the right spot to post this, but I've got a question about some production design aspects for my upcoming film.

Our heroes stumble upon a graveyard from an old town dating back to the 1700's. Other then overpopulating the set with weeds and vines - how can I age things like a wooden fence or other wooden structures?

It might be the case that the wood would have all ... disintegrated ... by then. But it's a movie!

Also if there is a safe way to set these things on fire ... safely ... ideas would be appreciated!

thanks!

Sad Max
07-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Go at the wood with rubber or rawhide mallets to bust it up a bit, age it down by randomly scrubbing at it with coarse sandpaper and steel wool, then spray it with a gray, brown, or gray-brown wash from a Hudson sprayer (grayer/more silvery=older-looking more-weathered wood).

lbwoods
11-25-2009, 08:37 PM
aging wood: soak a chunk of steel wool in vinegar overnight. brew a batch of black tea. use a hudson sprayer to spray the wood with the tea. spray the vinegar/steel wool mixture. wait. in the sun it will age in about 20 minutes. inside it takes longer. tea first, then vinegar, it doesn't work as well the other way around.