PDA

View Full Version : JVC - GYHD200 does anyone know about this camera?

swilliams
07-11-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm very excited about potentially upgrading to this camera. I've narrowed my search between the GYHD200 and the Canon XL-H1a. I'm currently using a DVX100. so i'm thinking this will be a pretty big step.

A few questions.... When I'm searching this camera on B&H there a lot of different model numbers that I cant seem to understand. there's the GYHD200, GYHD200U, GYHD200BXT for example. What do all these numbers mean. Is this just the package kit that B&H offers or are these upgraded model numbers?

Is this camera a lot harder or even impossible to get pretty decent movable shots? IE walking with the camera and following a subject. I use a smaller camera now with the fig rig and my shots are pretty steady. Just curious.......

I hear the that the battery life isn't good. I plan on buying the anton bauer batteries... I couldn't find anywhere how long the battery lasts....

I watched a great video on vimeo about the HM700 series. In this video the recommended the canon 14x lens over the Fujinon. There currently isn't a kit for the HD200 with the canon lens at B&H so i'm thinking if I went this route I might have to piece everything together.

I know, a lot of questions... But i'm excited to get some answers.

steve

youngindiefilms
07-11-2009, 07:08 PM
You could easily find out the features by going to the JVC website or google:
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/category.jsp?productId=PRO1.1

I would say you can get decent shots since it's shoulder mounted, at least for me a shoulder mounted camera is better to get stable shots than handheld (as long as not using a steadicam of course).

The JVC HD100/200 HM700 series will be too much to handle for your figrig, I don't think you will be able to use it smoothly since the figrig is intended to be used for smaller to medium sized cameras but the JVC ones you're hinting at are fairly big and heavy. You would have to get a steadicam.

On the power issue check the AB website:
http://www.antonbauer.com/HowToChoose

A Dionic 90 will last you around 4.5 hours on a HD200. Power consumption of these cameras are in general higher than DVX/HVX but I wouldn't say they have poor battery life, especially since it only depends which battery you are using. Get a Dionic 180 and you have 9 hours from a single battery.
They're expensive but you get what you pay for, optionally you can go for Ansso, Dynacore or one of the other pro battery systems which are all compatible to the AB standard.

I would not recommend to buy the body only and then get the Canon lens because you will pay insanely more than if you get the kit. Further I'd say the Fujinon is a great lens and you won't be disappointed. You can always sell the Fujinon and upgrade later on, that'll be probably also cheaper than getting it separate from the beginning.

The HM700 btw. costs nearly double than the HD200. It records tapeless to SD cards and does 1080i out of the box which the HD200 doesn't, you might wanna take that into consideration.

Capt Quirk
07-11-2009, 09:33 PM
The Anton Bauers are great, and they will indeed last 4+ hours easily. The best part is, if there is ever a problem, just call them. On the second ring, you will get a real person, and an American that you can understand, and understands you. They will take care of you promptly... which is way better than JVC's service. I have the HD100, and it is a fairly capable camera, but not always that reliable.

JJ_HomeFri
07-18-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm very excited about potentially upgrading to this camera. I've narrowed my search between the GYHD200 and the Canon XL-H1a. I'm currently using a DVX100. so i'm thinking this will be a pretty big step.

A few questions.... When I'm searching this camera on B&H there a lot of different model numbers that I cant seem to understand. there's the GYHD200, GYHD200U, GYHD200BXT for example. What do all these numbers mean. Is this just the package kit that B&H offers or are these upgraded model numbers?

Is this camera a lot harder or even impossible to get pretty decent movable shots? IE walking with the camera and following a subject. I use a smaller camera now with the fig rig and my shots are pretty steady. Just curious.......

I hear the that the battery life isn't good. I plan on buying the anton bauer batteries... I couldn't find anywhere how long the battery lasts....

I watched a great video on vimeo about the HM700 series. In this video the recommended the canon 14x lens over the Fujinon. There currently isn't a kit for the HD200 with the canon lens at B&H so i'm thinking if I went this route I might have to piece everything together.

I know, a lot of questions... But i'm excited to get some answers.

steve

I am also looking at maybe buying this camera too. There are a lot of different models that I am considering, but I tend to be leaning toward this one thus far because it has virtually every feature I wanted in a camera and then some. If anyone on the forum has used one personally and has any input on the matter I'd be happy to hear it as well.

DREWjoseph82
07-19-2009, 09:30 AM
I own a JVC 200. Its nice and certainly gets the job done. Feels great on your shoulder too. The picture can be somewhat noisy and the low light performance is not great - but not any worse than most 1/3 HD cameras from its time. It is getting somewhat outdated, still using HDV and tapes, but is definitely still usable. And the stock lens doesnt perform great across its entire zoom range (full telephoto is pretty bad).

Overall I really enjoy using the camera, and for the price its at now its a great deal. But with all the "better" cameras out there, if you have the money I would invest in something else.