PDA

View Full Version : GPU Accelerated editing of AVCHD

divide
07-11-2009, 04:29 AM
Hi all,

I've been following threads about the GH1 for some months now at dvxuser, and noticed some of you had difficulties editing AVCHD at this time (and so did I); so I've been working for several months on a plugin that decode AVCHD (+files from the Canon EOS 5D MKII) realtime in NLEs using NVIDIA graphic cards.
The plugin is now avaible for Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere:
http://www.divideframe.com

Hope that helps !

greeches
10-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Anyone toyed with this yet? If so, what were your specs, and did you notice much difference?

designbydave
10-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Tried in, made Premiere Pro CS4 crash on loading

Windows 7 x64
Latest version of Premiere

Barry_Green
10-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Why would you use something like this with CS4? CS4 already has GPU acceleration (at least, if you get the 4.1 update it does). Conflicting between Premiere's native acceleration and an aftermarket plug-in's acceleration might be what caused the crash?

bbinnard
10-02-2009, 12:24 PM
at $95 I just can't justify getting it considering my copy of Vegas MSP cost only $85 and works fine.

I'm not meaning to be negative, but as a former independent software developer myself I found specifying a price point was a key issue. My sense was the price has to be set relative to what the product is being used for and/or it's "perceived worth."

The ability to use a GPU during rendering will clearly speed up the rendering process, but it is an incremental increase, not a completely new capability. "Incremental" is the key word there - it tells me the cost of your add-on should be an increment of the cost of the base software. Now I realize Vegas has a wide range of prices (only Sony knows why) and my guess is you are targeting the Pro users. That's fine and clearly your choice, but it sort of leaves us amateurs (non Pro versions of Vegas) out of the picture.

It would be interesting to know the number of copies of Vegas Pro VS the lower cost ones. Maybe (I have no real idea of course) there are zillions more of the low-cost copies out there and, if so, you might be better off in the long run targeting those folks.

Cranky
10-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Any chance to have it working with Vegas 8?

Ken Steadman
10-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Any chance of an ATI type deal-y

pipedream?

sammysammy
10-04-2009, 08:09 AM
tried the demo, i got vegas pro 9, but when i bring in an mts file in, it only brings in the audio no video...y is that?

Ozpeter
10-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Amongst my little collection of NLEs I have Cyberlink PowerDirector 8 and Premiere Elements 8. The former has built in CUDA support and it has an obvious effect when it is enabled. The latter has "GPU acceleration" but it makes no perceptible difference whether it's on or off, and "CUDA" isn't mentioned anywhere. My conclusion is that PE8 isn't using the full power of CUDA processing. I don't know whether CS4 Premiere is any different.

Adventsam
10-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Hi, does Powerdirector now suppor the GH1 50/60fps file, it didn't in PD7?

Ozpeter
10-06-2009, 03:00 AM
Here (PAL land) there's a problem with 720p in PD8, whereby it won't play reliably from one clip to the next without the video freezing in many cases. 1080i is ok. Of course it could be my system but I don't get the problem in the latest versions of Pinnacle Studio, NeroVision, or Premiere Elements (though the latter seems not to like GH1 1080i unless the timeline is pre-rendered). Current overall winner (IMHO) of these is Pinnacle Studio 14, taking all things into account. YMMV and probably will.

Adventsam
10-06-2009, 05:43 AM
Thanks, I found the PE8 trial worked OK with the GH1 clips but I do like the avc o/p of PD7, which is very fast and doesnt need re-rendering after the initial render with that smart render feature. Thats a pity.

Note, imo quicktime mucks alot of PC systems up, try and work without it as much as possible and even install qt alternative. I know its difficult, all nle's want to install qt but dont if you have the option. QT does not like avc imo.

Apple, about time you sorted this whole avc support, you have the resources/money and knowhow, maybe theres a reason(political)

Adventsam
10-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Powerdirector 8 seems to work great with 50p clips, cool.

Lots of o/p options from PD8(except for QT!) was impressed with mpeg hdv o/p, big files though, so may only use that when I need it.

New features in 8 seem to be improved layout, video noise reduction added, nice, and better colour post processing.