PDA

View Full Version : Using FCP (older version) with GH1

simonclivehughes
07-10-2009, 08:55 AM
I hope you'll forgive the noob question, but I just got the GH1 and I have an older version of Final Cut Studio (not FCS II) and I'm wondering if I can use it with the AVCHD files from the GH1. I don't have it loaded anymore or I'd just try it. My gut feel is that it will not work and I'll just have to use iMovie '09 which I know works.

Cheers,

Simon

simonclivehughes
07-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Bueller... Bueller?

Cheers,

Simon

J Davis
07-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Sorry to bear bad news but older versions of Final Cut cannot transcode AVCHD
You need FCP v6 with the update to bring it to 6.0.2 or later then use Log & Transfer to ingest the media

EDIT: if you have CS4 there is nothing stopping you from using Adobe media converter to transcode from AVCHD to prores then take it into FCP that way

kurth
07-10-2009, 07:23 PM
If you're running 10.4 , then you can use toast 9 , if you're running 10.5 , then you can use toast 10 to convert avchd to any video codec installed on your mac . cheers

simonclivehughes
07-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Sorry to bear bad news but older versions of Final Cut cannot transcode AVCHD You need FCP v6 with the update to bring it to 6.0.2 or later then use Log & Transfer to ingest the media

I thought as much. I bought a used Education FCS package and can't upgrade.

...if you have CS4 there is nothing stopping you from using Adobe media converter to transcode from AVCHD to prores then take it into FCP that way

Alas, I only have Photoshop CS4, so I'll just keep using iMovie '09 which actually is a really sweet package and does 99% of what I need from a NLE.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,

simonclivehughes
07-10-2009, 07:29 PM
If you're running 10.4 , then you can use toast 9 , if you're running 10.5 , then you can use toast 10 to convert avchd to any video codec installed on your mac . cheers

OK, I understand... convert then use FCP5 to edit. I guess the question is whether all this is worth it or is it easier to just use iMovie? Would I see a significant IQ difference going the FCP route?

Again, sorry for the noob question but I'm foremost a stills shooter. I already have two G1's and I got the GH1 to have the video capability as well. I've been really blown away with the results from the G1's and looking forward to seeing what the GH1 can do this weekend (just got it).

Cheers,

Martti Ekstrand
07-10-2009, 10:48 PM
OK, I understand... convert then use FCP5 to edit. I guess the question is whether all this is worth it or is it easier to just use iMovie? Would I see a significant IQ difference going the FCP route?,

Well, with iMovie you only get Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC), convert with Toast and you can use any Quicktime codec you have installed. And FCP's colour correction tools are a great deal better than iMovie, not to mention it's a significantly better edit app. As for hassle Toast don't need the original file structure of the camera card to handle the AVCHD .mts files but iMovie and FCP absolutely needs it. I think even when converting to AIC Toast is faster than iMovie as well.

simonclivehughes
07-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Martti,

Thanks for the explanation. I'm curious if you've used iMovie '09, as it's head and shoulders above its predecessor? I think for now, I may just use iMovie as I need to make some space on my HDD if I want to reload FCS (and that's good for a half a day!). As I feel the need, I may migrate to FCP but for the most part, I'm a stills shooter but I've gotten interested in presentations with both stills and clips. So far, iMovie has fulfilled that requirement.

Cheers,

Martti Ekstrand
07-12-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm curious if you've used iMovie '09, as it's head and shoulders above its predecessor?

No, I'm at full throttle in FCP for my day time gig editing commercials which I then create motion graphics for in After Effects. I would have to pay for '09 in a iLife update and can't see why, I'll wait to update iLife 'til iDVD gets some work. But the iMovie version before they made it the video editing version of Clippy was really ok for quick edits, that one is heads and shoulders above it's successor. I know a couple of directors who still use it for hotel room temp editing during shoots.

simonclivehughes
07-12-2009, 02:29 PM
I think you'd find the latest version (iMovie '09) night and day different. Ken Stone wrote quite a long and complimentary review of it on his site\:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/imovie_09_stone.html

Having said all that, obviously if you're working with FCP all day, why would you want to use iMovie at all?

Cheers,

Martti Ekstrand
07-12-2009, 03:18 PM
We use what we use until something entirely different and seducing comes along. Like GH1. I think the only thing that would make me a faster editor than what I am with FCP would be having three assistants at a workstation each and me pacing around in the room barking at them like a roman centurion with a full armour getup and a bullwhip in my hand for motivation. Sadly swedish labour laws prohibits such a setup. And I would have to workout at the gym more.