PDA

View Full Version : make-up venting

Chamber005
07-08-2009, 09:16 AM
So we don't really have a make-up thread here, so I guess "Art Direction" is as close as we've got.

Just needed to vent about an upcoming (still and video-test) shoot. I've done some make-up tests prior for the "creatures" I'm presenting, but nothing has really been perfect yet. I've been having to do all the molding and building by hand on the actors and models which has been a PAINSTAKING process. When you don't have molds to work with and you're completely changing the skull and flesh structures of your actors it can get pretty tedious. Luckily I've been able to latex the backs of the finished pieces upon removal, which has provided me with some nice background masks for characters not articulating or being focused on in frame.

So with this weekend's shoot I'm making latex molds using aluminum foil. Im going to then cut and shape the little separate facial molds and apply them so that all I have to do is come in with a final coat of wax and then latex again for the affect.

I *think* this process should work. The big problem with building a face on a face is that you end up with more of a mask than an articulating structure. In the few tests the actors had a lot of problem utlizing their facial muscles in a natural manner. So I'm hoping that a more sectional approach will lend freedom of movement AND will shave about an hour (or so) off of the application time (which is clocking in at about 5 hours right now).

So long as the spirit gum can carry the weight of the small latex molds, we should be fine, as once I apply the second coat of latex over the wax and mold, that will act as a kind of reinforcement -- at which time it should be able to manage the teasing from the make-up brush and then, of course, the performance.

But, yeah, like I said, just kind of venting. Thought if anyone wanted to contribute their own make-up rants, they could, as misery loves it!

Sad Max
07-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Dividing the design into smaller individual appliances can leave your actors with a lot more facial mobility - if the design lends itself to that sort of approach.

Chamber005
07-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Dividing the design into smaller individual appliances can leave your actors with a lot more facial mobility - if the design lends itself to that sort of approach.

Yeah, gotta say, creating my own "creatures" (or, mythology) has been a huge blessing to my nerves. When you create a werewolf or a vampire or a even proto-typical alien-esque monsters, people expect certain attributes. They expect things they see in (average) nature to be present in the design. They expect the man made of rock to look as rocks do; they expect sea-dwelling creatures to appear a certain way; reptile men to be scaley and slimey, right? But when you create your own creature utilizing whatever universal characteristics apply to your own design, there's no real prototype, so people are lest apt to denounce the design -- so long as there is CONSISTENCY in the piece.

I think the problem comes in when you try to create something that already exists and then blend it with a human being (cat/human, dog/human, ferret/human). But since I've created an entire mythology around these things, picking and choosing tiny stems of various plant and animal life (but pointing to nothing specifically), it's definately taken some of the stress off -- because let's be realistic: No way are you creating a decent-looking cat-man without some serious cash (or free uber talent) behind the project. And I've got neither. ;)

This weekend is going to be SO important. Big photo day with some minor video. The costumes work fine, the talent is solid (for what I'm asking of them) -- but if the make-up doesn't hold up it will be a miserable Saturday for sure!!

And can I just say how nice it is to have someplace where I can vent about this stuff to people who might understand?? I mean, you do all your web promotion (and live) stuff; blogging, twittering, facebook-ing, whatever. You can't tell your audience "how rough" it all was. Like everything else in the arts the final product must ALWAYS appear effortless.

Coming here has not only been such a great place to learn and pick up insider strategies, but also has existed as an awesome outlet for my creative woes.

I hope no one that ever sees my stuff ever comes to these boards! ;)